Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I don't usually spend more than 30 on a bottle , but just got a bottle of Redbrest 12 at the SuperValu in Aughnacloy for 44 pounds. Bargain price and not even on special.

That's way over the normal price up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I did check Asda, Tesco and sansbury on their websites yesterday and none has it listed??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I did check Asda, Tesco and sansbury on their websites yesterday and none has it listed??

never is mate, you gotta go in in person. Sainsburys is more likely to have it than Asda though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you log in to Tesco's site with an account set to a specific store it shows the extra stuff they sell. Massive effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,083 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Presently enjoying a bottle of  1lt Jameson Signature Reserve that cost me $39 in the Maldives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

brinty wrote: »
    never is mate, you gotta go in in person. Sainsburys is more likely to have it than Asda though.

Redbreast was £31 in Sainsbury's Newry at the beginning of the month, that was without any promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Redbreast was £31 in Sainsbury's Newry at the beginning of the month, that was without any promotion.

Think that's what i paid when i got it in the same store about 2 years ago.. amazing they can sell it for £31 in Newry and €65-ish in Dundalk/Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I'm drinking West Cork Distillers 12 year old finished in Rum cask, I got it for €51 in the Celtic Whiskey shop, it's lovely & smooth.

I'm trying to drink more actual local Irish whiskey these days - so I drink their standard Irish whiskey as opposed to Jameson/Powers now, very nice & only €20 in Dunnes.

However I can never pass by Jameson Caskmates (stout) when its on at €30 a bottle in tescos, best thing at that price point by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Sounds like a bargain? What would you compare it to?
    I have a friend travelling through German aiport so might put an order in with them but can find very little info online about this one...

It's a blended scotch, very very smooth.
    A bit like famous grouse.... but a lot nicer.

For that money , you can't go wrong.
    I'll definitely be getting another bottle on my next trip thru dusseldorf.

.. and if you don't like it.. mix it with coke.

But for me. It's perfect straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Just got a bottle Powers 3 swallows while up north. 30 quid in Tesco. Really nice .

Better than Black Bush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Well that is true, with Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Connemara the Peaty flavour is over powering but I like it that way, Bowman less so but still excellent.

Bowmore?

I'm currently drinking a Bowmore 12 y/o and it's truly delicious - nicest Islay malt that I've tasted to date; although I have a 16 y/o Lagavulin under the stairs that I'm trying hard to save for the depths of winter - I'm expecting great things from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Turnipman wrote: »
    Bowmore?

I'm currently drinking a Bowmore 12 y/o and it's truly delicious - nicest Islay malt that I've tasted to date; although I have a 16 y/o Lagavulin under the stairs that I'm trying hard to save for the depths of winter - I'm expecting great things from it!

Its a personal thing, I always like the full peat flavour. I have no doubt that the Bowmore is a great whiskey. I have tasted it myself a few times but the stronger ones (peaty) I have tasted are Ardbeg, Laphroig and Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Strangely I found Bowmore to be the most generic of the Islay's I've had (most of them at this stage). The Bowmore 15 I had here took an age - maybe 2 years - to be drunk. Personal taste varies so much here.

Still haven't actually opened the Bruichladdich I have. May actually do so now. Some random airport bottling, nothing fancy. Bunnahabhain and Kilchoman I haven't had yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Turnipman wrote: »

Well that is true, with Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Connemara the Peaty flavour is over powering but I like it that way, Bowman less so but still excellent.

Bowmore?

Lagavullin 16 is a prince amongst Scotches. Will fairly put some hairs on your chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Just got a bottle Powers 3 swallows while up north. 30 quid in Tesco. Really nice .

Better than Black Bush.

It should be. Standard price for Black Bush is about before duty and vat on the duty is €17
    Standard price of 3 swallows after duty and vat on duty is €30,

So it should be almost twice as good.

Remember duty on a bottle of whiskey and the vat on that duty is about €14.60, and it doesn't matter whether tis a bottle of Midleton at €150 or a bottle of clontarf at €20, the duty is identical.

So once you go over €30 at retail you see dramatic increases in quality compared to the lower price stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Sounds like a bargain? What would you compare it to?
    I have a friend travelling through German aiport so might put an order in with them but can find very little info online about this one...

Sorry... I meant Dewars whisky

Dunno where I got that other name from

CeilingFly wrote: »

Better than Black Bush.

It should be. Standard price for Black Bush is about before duty and vat on the duty is €17
    Standard price of 3 swallows after duty and vat on duty is €30,

Remember duty on a bottle of whiskey and the vat on that duty is about €14.60, and it doesn't matter whether tis a bottle of Midleton at €150 or a bottle of clontarf at €20, the duty is identical.

So once you go over €30 at retail you see dramatic increases in quality compared to the lower price stuff.

Yeah, that's not how it works.

"It should be twice as good."

Such utter nonsense

Yeah, that's not how it works.

"It should be twice as good."

Such utter nonsense

can you explain or are you just throwing out a unsubstantiated comment?

Duty and vat on duty is a fixed cost no matter what the bottle.

Packaging and distribution is similar too unless it a very fancy bottle.

So the product in the bottle of a €30 bottle of whiskey is approx €12 worth for product and profit and vat on that element, whereas the product inside a €20 bottle is about €5 including profit and vat theron.

Therefore you get far more than the 50% improvement that is suggested by the price.
    Hence a €30 bottle should be vastly better than a €20 bottle and a €40 bottle far better than a €30 bottle. (all based on standard pricing)

Attack the post, not the poster please!

The Gloomster!

Can you explain what you mean by a more expensive whiskey being "better"?! Does this theory of more expensive things being "better" apply to just whiskey, or to other areas of life? Perhaps house purchases? Or maybe meals in a restaurant?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Let's all keep it handy lads

• Advertisement

Got paid today so treated myself to a bottle of Green Spot. I got a present of a bottle back in January so already knew I liked it, Have to say, I really like it. Complex flavours, but not too complex.

It is a blend so no age statement. Personally, I'd choose this over Jameson 18 year old any day. It doesn't have the caramel flavour of standard Jameson blend, instead in Green Spot I'm getting hints of vanilla and orange peel.

There's obviously some post by eagerbeaver, but he's on my ignore list, so I can't read it. But just like wine, the duty is the same no matter how much the bottle is, so a cheap bottle of whiskey and a cheap bottle of wine, whilst will taste fine and in many cases palatable, falls into the hapenny place when you move a small bit up the price scale - €30+ for whiskey and €14+ for wine.

It a terribly simple concept to understand.

This lad just doesn't get it. Unable to read my posts or not, please stop banging on about vat and duty as nobody has disputed any of it. We're all capable of understanding some rudimentary arithmetic - as if that's the issue rather than the assertion that increased price is a reflection of improved quality.

I repeat, utter nonsense.

CeilingFly wrote: »

Better than Black Bush.

That statement is the nub of the issue. Utter nonsense.

What does twice as good even mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

That statement is the nub of the issue. Utter nonsense.

What does twice as good even mean?

When he sips black bush he goes "Yum"
    When he sips 3 swallows he goes "Yum, Yum"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Had a Whyte and Mackay this morning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Right lads, let's leave it at that. No more bickering or you'se can take a break from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

YFlyer wrote: »

What's the verdict? How does it compare to other blends eg famous grouse, JW red, etc? Peaty?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

YFlyer wrote: »

Is that the one that had the two terriers as a logo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is that the one that had the two terriers as a logo?

No that's Black & Whyte... understandabl this causes confusion! :confused:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_%26_White_(whisky)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement