Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/290873041

Almost bought this today but was reading the spiel and it stated
    Made using whisky distilled in the cold Scottish winter, it is intended to be served straight from the freezer, delivering richness and sweetness as the glass warms up

Seems a bit mental. Anyway

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/256706597

or

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/299335273

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Description is a pile of bollox, but very light whiskys I would often put in the fridge rather than water them down with ice. Jura 10 is one I'd do that with actually.

2011abc wrote: »
    New whisk(e)y fan here .A year or two 'at it' and have sampled at least 10-20 different types .Just had a Redbreast 12 ( which I know is loved around here !) from a very well known hostelry on Naas Rd and was poured what I thought was a generous enough measure from the dregs of the bottle .It tasted at best very ,VERY mild . Don't want to say watered down .Maybe it was the stupendous (49%!) Teeling Brabazon I had in the fab Dingle Whiskey Bar on Nassau St yesterday that made it taste 'weak' ( although I did have a Black Bush after in The Elms ,Liffey Valley) .Doubt the 'Angels Share' applies through glass bottles ...somebody tell me that they're all like that so I can stop feeling hard done by ! In fairness it was an inoffensive tipple with a nice sweetness about it and nothing in particular to dislike .But it didn't taste as good as my fave Teeling Single Malt let alone its big sister Brabazon .
    I know it's hard to be consistent with the amount of water added ( does anyone actually use a dropper etc?!) but I barely added a drop to it .

There's no loss of alcohol from a closed bottle. Some pubs have been convicted of selling mislabeled or diluted product so that does happen although I haven't heard of one recently.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

RasTa wrote: »

To me that spiel reads:

We some whisky to get rid of so we made a blend, it tastes shîte so we'll mark it as a 'Winter' whisky and get them to freeze it to numb the flavour...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Picked up two bottle during the week:

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked:
    I don't like Bourbon, but I think that might be based on Jack Daniels, which is whiskey for people that don't like whiskey.

It is quite sweet, typical of bourbon but boy is it smooth. Very easy to drink. No bite at all when you taste it, it's like liquid caramel. You can defo taste the oak and it is quite fruity.

Auchentoshan Springwood:
    Had it at the same time as the Woodford, basically had them both in seperate glasses, with a jug of water to slash in.

Had the Woodford first (50ml), then took the customary sniff of the Auchentoshan. I physcially flinched. It is horrific, it doesn't taste like any whisky I've ever had. It's almost like a liquer, and not a nice one.

First whisky I can actually say I actually dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Jack Daniels, which is whiskey for people that don't like whiskey.

That statement is nothing more than snobby gibberish.

Love the Auchentoshans I've had myself. Three Wood and can't remember the other one. Triple distilled which is rare for Scotch, so nice and smooth.

• Advertisement

That statement is nothing more than snobby gibberish.

Love the Auchentoshans I've had myself. Three Wood and can't remember the other one. Triple distilled which is rare for Scotch, so nice and smooth.

It's my go to excuse for why I don't drink bourbon. My mind has been changed recently though. Try the Springwood, it is a strange dram, it really does not taste like any other whisky I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Oh oh here we go.... https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm8vBB_AjSo/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1esaj96nu0fm4

The number 1 pound for pound whiskey...Jameson get the fook outta 'ere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Oh oh here we go.... https://www.instagram.com/p/Bm8vBB_AjSo/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=1esaj96nu0fm4

"Working hard at my Whiskey distillery".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭VW 1

Dressed like he has watched too much Peaky Blinders to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Fair f**ks to him, investing in his future. If it crashes and burns so be it but the lad has a sensible head on his shoulders. Mightn't be the most likable of people but he's put his money to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Picked up two bottle during the week:

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked:
    I don't like Bourbon, but I think that might be based on Jack Daniels, which is whiskey for people that don't like whiskey.

It is quite sweet, typical of bourbon but boy is it smooth. Very easy to drink. No bite at all when you taste it, it's like liquid caramel. You can defo taste the oak and it is quite fruity.

Woodford is excellent. And the Double Oak is top notch.
    As you say - Bourbon is sweet, so there'll be a sweet kick for sure. I would always have a bottle of Bourbon on my shelf, though I have to be in the mood for it.
    I wouldn't compare Woodford to JD myself however. Possibly Jim Beam at a stretch..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

"Working hard at my Whiskey distillery".

Has bought Bushmills from Proximo?😛

• Registered Users Posts: 16,896 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

brinty wrote: »
    Fair f**ks to him, investing in his future. If it crashes and burns so be it but the lad has a sensible head on his shoulders. Mightn't be the most likable of people but he's put his money to work

Except where is his alleged distillery?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

2011abc wrote: »
    New whisk(e)y fan here .A year or two 'at it' and have sampled at least 10-20 different types .Just had a Redbreast 12 ( which I know is loved around here !) from a very well known hostelry on Naas Rd and was poured what I thought was a generous enough measure from the dregs of the bottle .It tasted at best very ,VERY mild . Don't want to say watered down .Maybe it was the stupendous (49%!) Teeling Brabazon I had in the fab Dingle Whiskey Bar on Nassau St yesterday that made it taste 'weak' ( although I did have a Black Bush after in The Elms ,Liffey Valley) .Doubt the 'Angels Share' applies through glass bottles ...somebody tell me that they're all like that so I can stop feeling hard done by ! In fairness it was an inoffensive tipple with a nice sweetness about it and nothing in particular to dislike .But it didn't taste as good as my fave Teeling Single Malt let alone its big sister Brabazon .
    I know it's hard to be consistent with the amount of water added ( does anyone actually use a dropper etc?!) but I barely added a drop to it .

Doesn't seem right to me tbh.
    Redbreast isn't what I would call a Mild whiskey, it's got a good bit of body to it.
    Did you try it straight at all and was the water very cold?
    Cold water would definitely kill the more complex flavours depending on the amount added. Also there could be a bit of a negative effect on it if it had been just that small bit sitting in a nearly empty bottle for a while. Unlikely in a bar though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I usually end up in Spain once a year, here's this years haul:

Glenfiddich 18 - €79
    Johnnie Walker Green - Blended 15 - €35
    Jameson Signature - €40 (litre)
    Teeling (Rum cask) - €40 (litre)

The first two are shots in the dark, never tried them before. I enjoy the Jameson Signature. So this is what I'll be drinking for the next couple of months. Very envious of the Spanish pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Go up north for value - its worth it if you are buying two or more bottles

be interested to hear what the JW green is like

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Most recent purchase - Bushmills 10 from dunnes with the €10 off
    its on sale at the moment at €38

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Chuffed to find this thread!!

I'm currently a quarter way through a 700ml bottle of Ballantine's. It was a random purchase when I was away for a weekend down in Courtown but it's actually quite nice, I'd consider it to taste a little bit nicer than normal Jameson, but nowhere near as nice as Jameson Lively.

Also finished off my first bottle of Cardhu not too long ago. Was on special for 38 reduced from 70+ so was pretty happy with that, tasted pretty strong too.

I usually end up in Spain once a year, here's this years haul:

Glenfiddich 18 - €79
    Johnnie Walker Green - Blended 15 - €35
    Jameson Signature - €40 (litre)
    Teeling (Rum cask) - €40 (litre)

The first two are shots in the dark, never tried them before. I enjoy the Jameson Signature. So this is what I'll be drinking for the next couple of months. Very envious of the Spanish pricing.

Whereabouts did you get the Teeling? Wouldn't be that common in Spain.

Airport Duty Free, all the airport buideals were litres God bless them. Then again the only Irish offerings they had were a couple of Jamesons, the above Teeling and Tullamore Due.

• Advertisement

Bushmills and/or Black Bush for dearer than it costs on offer Ireland are the other airport fixture in Iberia usually - surprised they didn't have one or the other.

€30 for a litre of Bushmills and nearly €40 for Black are common.

Airport Duty Free, all the airport buideals were litres God bless them. Then again the only Irish offerings they had were a couple of Jamesons, the above Teeling and Tullamore Due.

Dublin airport or in Spain? Surprised if it was a Spanish one as they usually don't have much in the way of premium Irish.

Dublin airport or in Spain? Surprised if it was a Spanish one as they usually don't have much in the way of premium Irish.

Spain - Malaga.

I suppose I try to be tight on the info when posting online, but you're such an eagerer beaver :-)

I'll be passing thru dublin airport in a couple weeks and want to pick up a few bottles.

Likely going to get Redbreast 12 cask strength which is a particular fave of mine. Also a greenspot leoville barton or powers john lane 12 year old. Am I missing anything worth considering under 100 quid? Method and madness single pot hungarian oak or is hibiki harmony master worth a try? I've tried regular yellow and green spot,not considering those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

VW 1 wrote: »
    I'll be passing thru dublin airport in a couple weeks and want to pick up a few bottles.

Likely going to get Redbreast 12 cask strength which is a particular fave of mine. Also a greenspot leoville barton or powers john lane 12 year old. Am I missing anything worth considering under 100 quid? Method and madness single pot hungarian oak or is hibiki harmony master worth a try? I've tried regular yellow and green spot,not considering those.

Sorry to not be of help, you've literally covered all of my favourites, but is the green spot LB really that much better than the standard?

Sorry to not be of help, you've literally covered all of my favourites, but is the green spot LB really that much better than the standard?

Only difference is i haven't tried it and am curious!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When he first announced it, he had named it Notorious which is already trademarked to the Carlow Brewing Company. Furthermore, the product he announced was Whisky, not whiskey...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/to-e-or-not-to-e-that-is-the-question-for-mcgregor-s-whiskey-partner-1.3203833
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/fresh-trademark-blow-for-mcgregor-s-whiskey-plan-1.3232266

Good luck to him but do I think he has it in him to make the best whiskey in the world? No chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

but is the green spot LB really that much better than the standard?

Is it 10e better? I would say yes for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭2011abc

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Doesn't seem right to me tbh.
    Redbreast isn't what I would call a Mild whiskey, it's got a good bit of body to it.
    Did you try it straight at all and was the water very cold?
    Cold water would definitely kill the more complex flavours depending on the amount added. Also there could be a bit of a negative effect on it if it had been just that small bit sitting in a nearly empty bottle for a while. Unlikely in a bar though...

No , water was just from tap at normal temperature .Any old hands got any ‘guidelines’ for adding water ? Anyone uses a dropper / teaspoon etc ? ( the potential for ‘flooding ‘ a treasure is awful !) Tap water ok ? It’s amazing looking at the swirling caused by the chemical reactions going on .I could be imagining it but I found adding a second dribble of water half way through the dram further releases different nice flavors etc .Was a ‘straight’(!) drinker until recently but think the drop of water is a good idea .
    How much do people add ? One expert ( no ,seriously ,EXPERT ! ) suggests you’re trying to get it down to about 35% .

• Advertisement

What you're seeing is some fats/oils separating, which while it is a chemical reaction, describing it as that makes it sound quite nasty.

It doesn't happen to chill filtered whiskey - http://www.whiskyforeveryone.com/whisky_basics/chill_filtration.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement