Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Auchentoshan is triple distilled (the only scotch to do so I think?) so is very smooth like the Irish whiskeys.

Glenlivet would also be high on my list of recommendations but it very much depends on what you're after - single malt vs blend etc.

If you really don't like anything peaty, stay away from anything from Islay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

It was a few yrs ago when i tried the scotch but my tastes have broadened a bit since then so ill happily try the traditional peaty scotch again. I just don't know where to begin. Well up with irish whiskey but not scotch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I'm in the US this week. I generally like a nice peaty scotch or even a decent Jameson 12y.

Heading to a bar tonight and want to chance a bourbon?
    Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd meet up with my GF's brother in law every 2 years or so. I always get to get him a bottle of whiskey or something similar. He had been living in canada, so it was simple to grab the last jameson special edition (sydney edition,young henrys caskmates,etc) that he couldn't get easily. Now he's back in ireland so I need to switch it up.
    Not sure what to get him now, some of the miniaturise sets are interesting but not sure if they are good value.

If I can't find anything I'll probably buy him a bottle of japanese

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Anyone try Method and Madness single malt? Chap in O' Brien's recommended it but I'm a bit reluctant to part with €80 on a whiskey I haven't heard of, even though it's from Midleton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Wailin wrote: »
    Anyone try Method and Madness single malt? Chap in O' Brien's recommended it but I'm a bit reluctant to part with €80 on a whiskey I haven't heard of, even though it's from Midleton.

14yo single malt from bushmills,a nice drop it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Wailin wrote: »

Its top shelf whiskey. You wont be disappointed if you like quality whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Auchentoshan is triple distilled (the only scotch to do so I think?) so is very smooth like the Irish whiskeys.

Glenlivet would also be high on my list of recommendations but it very much depends on what you're after - single malt vs blend etc.

If you really don't like anything peaty, stay away from anything from Islay.

Have you been drinking Glenlivet for long? I only see the non age statement founders reserve around which is nice but I am curious how it compares to the 12yo?

I like the glenfiddich 12yo and the non peated 10yo origin from jura, think they are a notch above the founders reserve.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just looking at the whiskey in my local tesco. Eyeing up the Laphroaig Select Malt or is there something else I should be buying from this list?

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/drinks/spirits/whisky?viewAll=promotion&promotion=offers

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

RasTa wrote: »
    Just looking at the whiskey in my local tesco. Eyeing up the Laphroaig Select Malt or is there something else I should be buying from this list?

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/drinks/spirits/whisky?viewAll=promotion&promotion=offers

Certainly worth it at that price. Although the 10YO is the superior whisky IMO and I'd be keeping an eye out for when that's on promotion (in my experience a regular enough occurrence in one of the big three in NI).

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »

I'd be a fan of the Old Pulteney at that price.

Agree on going for the Laphroaig 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

RasTa wrote:

If you enjoy speyside the Aberlour 12 is a great drop too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Quiet Man, 8 year old single malt, mini from the Celtic Whiskey Shop.

Lovely, light whiskey with a long red apple finish, although not sure if I'd pony up for a whole bottle.
    https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/the-quiet-man/the-quiet-man-8-year-old-whiskey/
    https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/The-Quiet-Man-8-Year-Old-Single-Malt

ps the Derry distillery has been bought by the American makers of Ezra Brooks & Rebel Yell, I guess they see 'synergies' in re-use of ex bourbon barrels:
    https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2018/04/luxco-acquires-northern-irelands-niche-drinks/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Makers Mark.
    Only started getting into whiskey lately and tried mostly Irish and some scotch. Never tried any american. Guy in work recommended MM so when I spotted it on special in Dunnes I picked it up. I like my whiskey in a tumbler, almost neat, with maybe a drop of water to soften it.

I found the Makers Mark almost undrinkable to my normal recipe, with a very chemically taste to it. With extra water it's smoother and I can enjoy some of the flavours that come through but then the experience misses the burn and feel that I like in whiskey.

What are others' opinions on this stuff?
    And any other american stuff worth a shot?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bourbon is rarely drunk straight, there is little designed for it

milltown wrote: »

Makers Mark is grand, particularly nice for cocktails etc.

"American whisky" is a very broad phrase though as even the variance within bourbon is enormous, then you'll have other grain whiskies, e.g. corn and rye that are huge. Best option is to just experiment and see what you like.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Bourbon is rarely drunk straight, there is little designed for it

That's just categorically untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Thursday, Glenmorangie !
    Friday, Black Barrel cask strength 60.2%
    Sat, Black Bush
    Sun, caskmates stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Makers Mark.
    Only started getting into whiskey lately and tried mostly Irish and some scotch. Never tried any american. Guy in work recommended MM so when I spotted it on special in Dunnes I picked it up. I like my whiskey in a tumbler, almost neat, with maybe a drop of water to soften it.

I found the Makers Mark almost undrinkable to my normal recipe, with a very chemically taste to it. With extra water it's smoother and I can enjoy some of the flavours that come through but then the experience misses the burn and feel that I like in whiskey.

Maker's Mark is run of the mill bourbon. Try Woodford Reserve (regular edition is nice, double oaked edition if you can find it is better again). Bulleit is not bad either, Tesco stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,650 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

mikeecho wrote: »
    Thursday, Glenmorangie !
    Friday, Black Barrel cask strength 60.2%
    Sat, Black Bush
    Sun, caskmates stout.

A shirley Bassey ? I don't drink whiskey but when I have I drink the one named after my great great grandfather.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    A shirley Bassey ? I don't drink whiskey but when I have I drink the one named after my great great grandfather.
    Care to elaborate? Not really clear what you are referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Mellor wrote: »
    Care to elaborate? Not really clear what you are referring to.

I think he has had a few too many...

I haven't had any one too many actually. I've had no alcohol tonight. My great great grandfather on my mother's side was the guy paddy whiskey was named after.

Either that or Shirley Bassey was hi s great great grandfather.

Either that or Shirley Bassey was hi s great great grandfather.

Actually wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Greg81

Makers Mark.

Makers Mark is not for me either. I have tried in different forms.

Try Wild Turkey 101 or Rare Breed with a drop of water.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not sure that that nickname for Black Bush is particular acceptable anymore!

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that that nickname for Black Bush is particular acceptable anymore!
    Why not?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why not?
    Maybe a Shirley Bassey is now called a Brazilian?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Why not?
    Maybe a Shirley Bassey is now called a Brazilian?

Whoosh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Last week I bought a bottle of Paddy , and to be honest, I found it difficult to say anything nice about it. Its very plain and has no body or character. Maybe I will keep it for mixing .

Tonight I got a bottle of Bushmills 10.. Reduced to 40 euro in Tesco at the moment. Another 10% of with a family members staff discount.

Compared to the Paddy whiskey, its night and day. Rich dark honey taste that lingers long after the swallow. So good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement