Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I like Maker's Mark I have to say. Normally don't touch Bourbon. Nice with a cube of ice (normally don't touch ice either).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Tonight I got a bottle of Bushmills 10.. Reduced to 40 euro in Tesco at the moment. Another 10% of with a family members staff discount.

Compared to the Paddy whiskey, its night and day. Rich dark honey taste that lingers long after the swallow. So good.

One is a single malt from the far north of the island. The other is a bog standard blend from the far south. Night and day sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

One is a single malt from the far north of the island. The other is a bog standard blend from the far south. Night and day sounds about right.

And on special - only double the price. Paddy is grand for what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

milltown wrote: »
    Makers Mark.
    Only started getting into whiskey lately and tried mostly Irish and some scotch. Never tried any american. Guy in work recommended MM so when I spotted it on special in Dunnes I picked it up. I like my whiskey in a tumbler, almost neat, with maybe a drop of water to soften it.

I found the Makers Mark almost undrinkable to my normal recipe, with a very chemically taste to it. With extra water it's smoother and I can enjoy some of the flavours that come through but then the experience misses the burn and feel that I like in whiskey.

What are others' opinions on this stuff?
    And any other american stuff worth a shot?

Bourbon has a more robust taste to it in general, but I found Maker's Mark to be on the blander side. If you didn't like that you probably won't like bourbon in general.

As for recommendations, Knob Creek is my favourite (not the rye version). Packs a punch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bulliet Bourbon is nice and easy to drink straight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Coming home through London City Airport today and picked up a bottle of Nikka from the Barrel for 31 pounds.
    Looking forward to giving it a good go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Coming home through London City Airport today and picked up a bottle of Nikka from the Barrel for 31 pounds.

Comes up regularly on this thread. Don't think anyone has ever been disappointed, it's lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyone know which if any major off-licence chains here stock it and how much? Would the Celtic Whiskey Shop have it, it's not too far from my work?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Currently a tenner off Jameson's The Whiskey Makers Series in Dunnes (€60 instead of €70). Haven't tried any of them yet and had €20 off €90 in spend & save vouchers so seemed an opportune time to pick up a bottle at an effective price of €46.67 (having bought it with €30 of groceries).

Went for the Blender's Dog. Will probably save it for Christmas.

Anyone know which if any major off-licence chains here stock it and how much? Would the Celtic Whiskey Shop have it, it's not too far from my work?

The Nikka?
    58 in Celtic Whiskey Shop
    49 in Molloys if there is one of those near you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

RasTa wrote: »
    Just looking at the whiskey in my local tesco. Eyeing up the Laphroaig Select Malt or is there something else I should be buying from this list?

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/drinks/spirits/whisky?viewAll=promotion&promotion=offers

Either Ardmore Legacy a light starter whisky well crafted or make the a good investment and get Ardbeg 10!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Had some last night myself, a lovely drop

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got Ryanair 261 compensation through and decided to spend some on whiskey. Bush 10 and Powers John's Lane in Tesco for reasonable money did the job

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

L1011 wrote: »
    Got Ryanair 261 compensation through and decided to spend some on whiskey. Bush 10 and Powers John's Lane in Tesco for reasonable money did the job

How much was the John Lans?
    Running low ATM!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mik_da_man wrote: »
    How much was the John Lans?
    Running low ATM!

65. Reasonable, not cheap - seems to be 62-70 across Irish domestic retailers and a bit cheaper abroad.

The Nikka?
    58 in Celtic Whiskey Shop
    49 in Molloys if there is one of those near you.

Yep there's a Molloys very near me - haven't seen it there but they keep all the whiskeys behind the counter which is crap for browsing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Yep there's a Molloys very near me - haven't seen it there but they keep all the whiskeys behind the counter which is crap for browsing.

Are you allowed to ask questions about the pricing?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Glenmorangie 10 year old for me today watching the match. Such a lovely highland whiskey, warm and caramel flavour & long finish. Tiny drop of water just opens it up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Had some last night myself, a lovely drop

Always meant to try this one. Must watch out for it next time I'm at the airport.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Glenmorangie 10 year old for me today watching the match. Such a lovely highland whiskey, warm and caramel flavour & long finish. Tiny drop of water just opens it up too!

I'm on the same, very nice dram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

A Question
    The Jameson Caskmates stout - how do you drink it?

Tried it straight - and tbh I wasn't overly impressed ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

gozunda wrote: »
    A Question

I love it straight, it's very mild so doubt water will help. Maybe one to mark in the "Ah well I gave it a try" list.

Tenger wrote: »
    Are you allowed to ask questions about the pricing?

No. They smite you with the staff of cluelessness if you ask a question :p

I had a good look today. They don't have any Nikka :(

No. They smite you with the staff of cluelessness if you ask a question :p

I had a good look today. They don't have any Nikka :(

It on their website.
    I get your point about the whiskey behind the counter not being conducive to having a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

jameson caskmates ipa 33 euro in supervalu (- my 7.50 vouchers off )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

gozunda wrote: »
    A Question

I tried a bottle recently. They're cheap up north (£20) so picked up 3 bottles. Problem is I fly through them. It's pretty mild straight so only a wee drop of water max if anything.

Very smooth and mellow. Might just be it's too mild for your tastes. Come to think of it, it's the sort I'd offer someone who had not much experience with whiskey. I quite like it, just like I occasionally like a Tullamore Dew to take a break from the big boys I normally enjoy. A very quaffable weekday dram(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I would usually go for the Jameson Caskmates Stout on a night out as a similarly cheap tastier alternative to bog standard Jameson, it should only be like 50c more. It's fine straight, very mild as said above. Some places overcharge of course. The IPA edition isn't great.
    Actually finished my first bottle of this recently. Very enjoyable. I'm not too well versed on Highland scotches, but grew to appreciate the lighter complexity of the Glenmorangie the more I went through it.

Picked up a bottle of Glendalough Double Barrel to do me the next couple of weekends. Have only had a first sampling taste but already seems to be an amazing whiskey for the price (35-40e). Smooth, sweet and fruity due to sherry finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Am working my way through a miniature set of Knappogue Castle from the Celtic Whiskey Shop.
    Was disappointed with the 12yo, thought it was a bit too much christmas cake \ butterscotch, artificial aftertaste.
    Am really enjoying the sherry-cask finish 16yo, though can't see me paying 90 euros for a bottle considering how nice Writers Tears and Bushmills 10yo are.
    https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/knappogue-castle-twin-wood-sherry-finish-16-year-old-single-malt?search=knappogue
    Still left in the set is the 14yo cask strength.

Completing the Knappogue miniature set with the 14yo, lovely whiskey, a surge of flavour and a long finish, one to sip and savour. Cask strength and I assuming originating from Bushmills:
    https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/knappogue-castle-14-year-old-700ml

If you are in the CWS I would recommend the set to sample three interesting €50 - €90 whiskies.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Picked up a bottle of Black Bush in Dunnes on offer at €26. Hadn't had it in a long time and had forgotten how good it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

New whisk(e)y fan here .A year or two 'at it' and have sampled at least 10-20 different types .Just had a Redbreast 12 ( which I know is loved around here !) from a very well known hostelry on Naas Rd and was poured what I thought was a generous enough measure from the dregs of the bottle .It tasted at best very ,VERY mild . Don't want to say watered down .Maybe it was the stupendous (49%!) Teeling Brabazon I had in the fab Dingle Whiskey Bar on Nassau St yesterday that made it taste 'weak' ( although I did have a Black Bush after in The Elms ,Liffey Valley) .Doubt the 'Angels Share' applies through glass bottles ...somebody tell me that they're all like that so I can stop feeling hard done by ! In fairness it was an inoffensive tipple with a nice sweetness about it and nothing in particular to dislike .But it didn't taste as good as my fave Teeling Single Malt let alone its big sister Brabazon .
    I know it's hard to be consistent with the amount of water added ( does anyone actually use a dropper etc?!) but I barely added a drop to it .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement