Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I remember my first and last taste of Connemara Peat, I found it revolting and wouldn't even use it for Irish coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

smurfjed wrote: »
    I remember my first and last taste of Connemara Peat, I found it revolting and wouldn't even use it for Irish coffees.

Do you like peated whiskey in general?

If you do, you'll like Connemara. If you don't, you won't.

Absolutely not, I think that the smell and taste brought back childhood memories of holidays gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Absolutely not, I think that the smell and taste brought back childhood memories of holidays gone wrong.

Do tell us more. I had some horrible childhood holidays but none involved peaty whiskies!

So you don't like peated whiskey and on drinking Connemara, a peated whiskey, discovered you didn't like it?

I am shocked. Utterly shocked, I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Do tell us more. I had some horrible childhood holidays but none involved peaty whiskies!

:D

Connemara was my first and last peated whiskey.

Didn’t have an opinion prior to drinking it, firm opinion after drinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Connemara was my first and last peated whiskey.

Didn’t have an opinion prior to drinking it, firm opinion after drinking it.

Ah, you're Def missing out...get a Laphroaig 10yo...you won't be disappointed.....and if by chance you are, ...you can slide it my way! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I like peated whiskys and really dislike Connemara. It's overdone and that's not even going to the Turf Mor version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

L1011 wrote: »
    I like peated whiskys and really dislike Connemara. It's overdone and that's not even going to the Turf Mor version

They make it in Burnley?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'd loose it's Irish Whiskey naming rights then!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Connemara was my first and last peated whiskey
    Have you only ever drank Irish whiskey? Surely not when jetsetting about the place.
    Ah, you're Def missing out...get a Laphroaig 10yo...you won't be disappointed...
    I'd hazard a guess that he definitely will be disappointed.

I have tried Japanese and Thai, as well as Bourbon, or the official whisky of the Middle East, JW Black.
    But i make it a habit to seek out Irish Whiskey when out and about, although for most of my travels, hard liquor is a no-no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

So you don't like peated whiskey and on drinking Connemara, a peated whiskey, discovered you didn't like it?

In all fairness, the peaty whiskey is an acquired taste. Its a marmite thing. You love it or you have it. I never heard anyone say they can take it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Ah, you're Def missing out...get a Laphroaig 10yo...you won't be disappointed.....and if by chance you are, ...you can slide it my way! :D

Laphroaig is definitely not a starter whiskey if you're not into peat! If you like the smokey flavour you can't go wrong with a standard Talisker or Bowmore. Both have a nice touch of peat but not overpowering for a novice like the Laphroaig or Ardbeg.

In all fairness, the peaty whiskey is an acquired taste. Its a marmite thing. You love it or you have it. I never heard anyone say they can take it or leave it.

Whiskey as a whole is an acquired taste. Peat is just one of umpteen characteristics it can have. You'll have people who have no issue with peatiness but might not like sweetness.

If you've never heard anyone say they'll take it or leave it you must not have spoken to very many whiskey drinkers. I would give any barley whiskey a go with reasonable confidence that I'll drink it and be absolutely fine with it even if I don't love it. I'll always have a bottle of Ardbeg 10 or Lagavullin 16 but it might take three years to get through the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I've always stuck to Irish Whiskey so don't know peated Scottish whisky for comparison but I tried a glass of Connemara on Friday night with the father in law and it wasn't for us at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I have tried Japanese and Thai, as well as Bourbon, or the official whisky of the Middle East, JW Black.
    But i make it a habit to seek out Irish Whiskey when out and about, although for most of my travels, hard liquor is a no-no.

Sounds like you are following the same trails as Lawrence Osborne in his "wet and dry drinker's journey" through the Middle East and South East Asia...
    https://www.amazon.com/Wet-Dry-Drinkers-Journey/dp/0770436900

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Whiskey as a whole is an acquired taste. Peat is just one of umpteen characteristics it can have. You'll have people who have no issue with peatiness but might not like sweetness.

If you've never heard anyone say they'll take it or leave it you must not have spoken to very many whiskey drinkers. I would give any barley whiskey a go with reasonable confidence that I'll drink it and be absolutely fine with it even if I don't love it. I'll always have a bottle of Ardbeg 10 or Lagavullin 16 but it might take three years to get through the thing.

Well that is true, with Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Connemara the Peaty flavour is over powering but I like it that way, Bowman less so but still excellent.
    I find it hard to meet people who have as deep an interest and knowledge of whiskey as myself without coming across as boring as I live in a rural area. Whiskey around here in comes in three varieties Irish American and scottish.

JW Black (and red) is a peated whiskey. As are some japanese whiskeys.
    That was my point, that I'd be surprised if Connemara peat was actually your first peated whiskey. Would only be the case if you never ventured away from the main irish trio.

Strangely enough, Thai whiskey is actually rum. Not sure why they called it whiskey though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Blend 285 is whiskey no? That's what we were drinking over there anyway.

@Mellor..... thanks for the education, I never realised that JW was a peated whisky, it certainly isn't as overpowering as Connemara.
    I have my fingers crossed that the duty free shop that I'm about to visit has liquor :)

RasTa wrote: »
    Blend 285 is whiskey no? That's what we were drinking over there anyway.
    I'm not familiar with that one. But Sang Som, Mekhong and Hong Thong were the ones I seen over there. Typically for sale in buckets along the beach. They are all rum afaik. There are made from molasses and rice.

Edit:
    Just had a google. Blend 285 is apparently a blend of Malt whiskey from Scotland and local spirits (probably from sugarcane/molasses aka rum).
    So that one is kinda both, and neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

L1011 wrote: »

I totally agree with you there. I have Laphroig, Ardbeg and a few others that I enjoy.

I use the Connemara only for a hot whisky if I'm under the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Haven't really gotten into the smoky and peaty end of things yet, working my way toward it.

Bought a bottle of Laphraoig a while back and had a dram or two one night. Have to say i wasn't as heavy as I expected. My over riding thought was it seemed more "oily" than anything. Would that be a fair description?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with that one. But Sang Som, Mekhong and Hong Thong were the ones I seen over there. Typically for sale in buckets along the beach. They are all rum afaik. There are made from molasses and rice.

Yeah we were buying 2 or 3 bottles from the 7-11 for less then a tenner. Ridiculous carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I don't usually spend more than 30 on a bottle , but just got a bottle of Redbrest 12 at the SuperValu in Aughnacloy for 44 pounds. Bargain price and not even on special.

I don't usually spend more than 30 on a bottle , but just got a bottle of Redbrest 12 at the SuperValu in Aughnacloy for 44 pounds. Bargain price and not even on special.

Ye got robbed... its less than £35GBP in asda and sainsburys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

No way. How do they justify selling it for over 60 here??

• Advertisement

No way. How do they justify selling it for over 60 here??

Lord above only knows danny...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement