Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you became dictator of Ireland, what new laws would you make compulsory?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Billy86 wrote: »
    Just what the hell are you getting up to up there? I can't help but wonder when I see someone put their card in and seem to do stand there and look at the screen for several minutes... before taking out 20 beans. It's grand when you can see them doing something and pressing buttons. But the ones who just stand there and blankly store at it... what the hell are you guys actually doing in that time?

Sometimes the machines take a long time to give options.

Anyhow, problem has been solved for my by spread of PIN payments, contactless payments and Cashback and soon enough we'll have the likes of Apple Pay and its Android version so I will hardly use ATM's anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

RTE should show at least one happy programme per day after 1800.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Honestly my first priority would be a mass cull of sub sections of the population.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

- Anyone referring to "ROG", "BOD", "Sexy" etc will be flogged and have half of their assets stripped (nice boost for the new government coffers).

- People who admonish others with statements such as "No Irish person says <word>!" where <word> (e.g. prom) is shown to be a perfectly legit phrase in use in any part of the country, predating any internet, usage shall be flogged.

- For trivial offences which we currently jail people, the guilty shall be offered jail-time or a once off flogging session.

- New government infrastructure project to build flogging posts across the country. Will hopefully inject some money into the economy.

- Mandatory cooking lessons for all students. The basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

- Anyone referring to "ROG", "BOD", "Sexy" etc will be flogged and have half of their assets stripped (nice boost for the new government coffers).

You do realise that you've made it illegal for anyone to call you sexy now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

- People who admonish others with statements such as "No Irish person says <word>!" where <word> (e.g. prom) is shown to be a perfectly legit phrase in use in any part of the country, predating any internet, usage shall be flogged.

- For trivial offences which we currently jail people, the guilty shall be offered jail-time or a once off flogging session.

- New government infrastructure project to build flogging posts across the country. Will hopefully inject some money into the economy.

Bit of a fetish eh?? :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Weed is legal for anyone over the age of 65, broadcasting licences not required for low power operations, job bridge has max of 20 hours a week, abortion is legal for those who wish to avail, possibly costs a bit but loan granted to all, government moves out of Dublin to administrative capital :)

People who are impatient with or disrespectful or rude to the elderly should be shackled to and made pull a rickshaw of senior citizens wherever they want, while wearing a scolds bridle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Candie wrote: »
    People who are impatient with or disrespectful or rude to the elderly should be shackled to and made pull a rickshaw of senior citizens wherever they want, while wearing a scolds bridle.

Any give the senior citizen a whip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

A lot of physical violence cited in his thread. #theirishpsyche

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭mckildare

Battle Royale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I would make it illegal for TDs to have constituency offices or to try to solve a constituent's problem.
    All begging and pleading letters from constituents should go to a central address, not to the TDs office or home.
    Those letters will be forwarded to the county council (or whoever should fix the problem) with an acknowledgement to the letter writer.
    The problem will be given a job number and logged.
    There will be no "he fixed the road" TDs.

If TDs break my rules they lose their Dail seat.

TDs would only be allowed meet constituents in a group e.g. a quarterly meeting in the town hall.
    All the constituency TDs should be at that one meeting.
    Submit your questions in advance of the meeting.
    This should allow people with problems that are not solved by the other process highlight their difficulty.
    It would also be a forum to point out problems (not personal problems) in the constituency that are not being addressed.
    You only get access to the meeting if you submitted a question (a sensible question).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Anyone sitting in traffic with their foot on the brake pedal should be banned for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Use of the word "ain't" by any irish citizen results in being banished to live in the woods forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I'd ban expenses claims for politicians, they are paid well enough for their job and receive very generous pensions a lot sooner than most people if they are unlucky not to be re-elected. Maybe have a capped allowance for cost of travel abroad though once it relates to a ministerial job.

Cap on the number of Junior Ministers / or let them have the title but receive no additional pay. consider it work experience for someday being a minister.

Reduce the number of TD's and enlarge constituencies. Give Councillors more control to get things done and fill the gap at local level left by the reduction in TD's.

Pay of politicians to be linked to the average industrial wage and rise or fall accordingly.

Mandatory contracts on completion of college for key graduates in the public services (talking about doctors, nurses, etc, ) before they can work abroad with that qualification. Option to buy yourself out of the contract if you repay the college fees covered by the state however.

1 year public service for all after secondary school unless going to college or have a job lined up within 6 months. Duties should be relevant work experience, introduction to trades apprenticeships, social themed work or volunteering abroad with a recognised ngo.

Tidy town competition, losers get to be the location for the next superdump/incinerator for their region.

Dilapidated buildings in towns- requirement to be kept neat and painted. If that is not complied with owner cedes title to council for regeneration.

bring back the clocks one hour permanently to make the most of the day light in the mornings.

Homeless people to be given intensive...scrubbing, joking!, assistance in bringing them back in to the community as active members where possible. Better planned social assistance for deprived communities, throwing money at problems doesnt always help if there is no long term plan.

Euthanasia to be allowed under strict rules

Menial duties to be given to those who commit minor crimes rather than prison sentences.

Judges to be licensed and required to pass an exam every 7 years to ensure they stay haven't gone batty.

RTE required to get real as regards what it pays it's "talent" and a ban on inner city Dublin accents, actually it's not the accent which bugs me it's just fair city, ban that and euthanise them if they consider every going on tv again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I don't dawdle at ATM's so stop jumping to conclusions, if you haven't patience to wait your turn you will be flogged in public ;) Start another thread if you want to make a song and dance about it.

If someone's card is in the ATM and they go over 15 seconds without pressing a button (loading screens not counting of course), the machine will swallow their card, their account will be closed, and every penny they had in it will revert to state property.

....then their legs get chopped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Irish and Religion will be removed from schools but you can practice them in your own time.

I really don't understand this mentality.
    I completely respect that people are atheist and they don't want their children being brought up with religion that is completely fair. But getting rid of religious schools completely is a bit strange. I went to a Catholic school in England, some of the best schools in England are Catholic and there is a much lower percentage of Catholics there than here but Catholics are still facilitated for.

We need more diversity maybe not just all religious or none whatsoever.

As for being a dictator, I would make people on social welfare DO SOMETHING for their money. Why should some citizens get a free ride and others work. We should all contribute to our society in some way.

I would sort the third level education system - too many gombeens with absolutely no initiative or common sense being spoonfed, that are able to call themselves educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Van drivers doing their paperwork at 120kph in the outside lane of a motorway would be given a life sentence.....

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭jones 19

Able people on the dole will not be allowed television, or Internet Data on their mobile phones. And then enforce ban on television for everyone .

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    1. Huge cuts to social welfare.
    2. Cuts to tax across the board especially corporation tax.
    3. A focus on STEM subjects in our education system.
    4. Third level education to be funded by student loans.
    5. The removal of Irish as a compulsory subject and the removal of all government spenditure on Irish language quangos.
    6. Lower the overall number of civil servents, cut their wages and refuse to recognize unions.
    7. The construction of large scale US style prisons to solve the problem of overcrowding and much harsher sentences on career criminals.
    8. Dole recipients to work in their community in exchange for their dole.
    9. Dole to be replaced by a credit card that can't be used to purchase alcohol, cigarettes or gambling.
    10. Capital punishment to be brought back in for paramilitaries by means of lethal injection. After their bodies are to be cremated and ashes scattered to leave no graves.

That's good for now, you're welcome Ireland.

Donald Trump's manifesto if he campaigned for election here........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ogogo

People who block the yellow box junctions will have their cars confiscated and crushed on the spot. They will also forfeit their drivers licence and have to resit their drivers test.

Ogogo wrote: »
    People who block the yellow box junctions will have their cars confiscated and crushed on the spot. They will also forfeit their drivers licence and have to resit their drivers test.

.....and make the f**kers repaint the box as well if they are looking a tad bit faded, scruffy looking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

1. Huge cuts to social welfare.
    2. Cuts to tax across the board especially corporation tax.
    3. A focus on STEM subjects in our education system.
    4. Third level education to be funded by student loans.
    5. The removal of Irish as a compulsory subject and the removal of all government spenditure on Irish language quangos.
    6. Lower the overall number of civil servents, cut their wages and refuse to recognize unions.
    7. The construction of large scale US style prisons to solve the problem of overcrowding and much harsher sentences on career criminals.
    8. Dole recipients to work in their community in exchange for their dole.
    9. Dole to be replaced by a credit card that can't be used to purchase alcohol, cigarettes or gambling.
    10. Capital punishment to be brought back in for paramilitaries by means of lethal injection. After their bodies are to be cremated and ashes scattered to leave no graves.

That's good for now, you're welcome Ireland.
    I would also like to add the introduction of capital punishment by means of caning for repeat petty criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Television volumes would go up and down by 2 at a time.
    I mean, Why would anyone want to turn up the volume to level 29?!

You what, screw it. I'm banning primary numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Panthro wrote: »
    Television volumes would go up and down by 2 at a time.
    I mean, Why would anyone want to turn up the volume to level 29?!

You what, screw it. I'm banning primary numbers.

No! Primary numbers are the only time it can be odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

No! Primary numbers are the only time it can be odd!

I'm banning odd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Panthro wrote: »
    I'm banning odd

I will be offering development grants for odd. But additional taxes on whimsy, just to balance it out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ogogo wrote: »

"Your car has been impounded."
    "Your car has been crushed into a cube."

"You have thirty minutes to move your cube."

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Instead of the judiciary I would bring in the wheel as a sentencing instrument

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Instead of the judiciary I would bring in the wheel as a sentencing instrument

All our lives hang by a thread. Now we got a man waiting for sentence. But ain't it the truth: you take your chances with the law, justice is only a roll of the dice. A flip of the coin. A turn... of the Wheel.

Advertisement