Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Has anybody tried calling eCars when they find one of these, see if they are willing to stop the charge if it has been there for 2 hours?

They won’t touch it in my experience as it involves them cutting power to a private car and then allowing you to interfere with a private car.

When charging is finished, the plug can be pulled out iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

kceire wrote: »
    They won’t touch it in my experience as it involves them cutting power to a private car and then allowing you to interfere with a private car.

When charging is finished, the plug can be pulled out iirc.

Might be worth making the calls to the help desk just to raise some noise.

I had a couple of cases while trying to get 100% charge in the UK that the charger stopped it just over 90%. I wonder if they have a minimum charge level defined, for example if charging at a FCP it would stop once you go below 10kW or something...

Shame so many of the problems we’re facing could be solved by such trivial changes to the system :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    Let's name & shame the pricks (plugged in for at least 60 minutes at a fast charger while absent from your vehicle)

1. Leaf 40 181D36303 12/10/2018 FCP B'town. At least 2 hours
    2. Leaf 40 181L1318 10/11/2018 FCP J14. At least 2 hours

Maybe we should start a dedicated thread for this? With photographic evidence of the car hooked up to FCP and charging speeds of under say 20kW? I'v pictures of above arsehole charging at just 2kW, indicating that he was about 98-99% charged
    I think if you're planning a name and shame thread (which I agree with) then photographic evidence should be mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Fishy1 wrote: »
    Hi Tollot,
    Thanks so much for the feedback. Was hoping that someone here would be able to let me know that they had tried some of the chargers that I’ve had issues with.
    I really appreciate the update.

Had a day off, so I filled the Ioniq up at the fast charger by the Whitfield Clinic in Waterford. Worked perfectly, first time.

BTW (for unkel’s benefit), even though I availed of a free charge, I stayed in the car, ready to move should anyone come along who really needed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭denismc

fricatus wrote: »
    Had a day off, so I filled the Ioniq up at the fast charger by the Whitfield Clinic in Waterford. Worked perfectly, first time.

BTW (for unkel’s benefit), even though I availed of a free charge, I stayed in the car, ready to move should anyone come along who really needed it!

So was there any issue with the car in the end, or were you just very unlucky with chargers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

denismc wrote: »
    So was there any issue with the car in the end, or were you just very unlucky with chargers?

Fishy1 is the one who had the trouble, not me. I just brought my car to the charger they had been using to make sure that the CCS connector would work with an Ioniq, and it did.

They had problems with other fast chargers other than the Waterford one too, so the issue surely must be with the individual vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Still having issues, it’s currently in the Hyundai garage being checked.

Good to know that others are able to use that CCS charger to charge their Ioniq. At least I can’t be fobbed off & told that it’s the charger that’s at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Final Update, I Hope!

So, it appears that there was a small piece of metal jammed into the car’s terminal ( the part where the CCS charger plugs in) & once this was removed the car was able to rapid charge.

Apparently this piece of metal could have come from a ccs charger that was plugged into the car terminal using too much force.

I have my doubts about that bit to be honest, but am currently (pardon the pun!) charging my car at a rapid charger & it’s working!

Thanks to everyone for your input, I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Fishy1 wrote: »
    Final Update, I Hope!

So, it appears that there was a small piece of metal jammed into the car’s terminal ( the part where the CCS charger plugs in) & once this was removed the car was able to rapid charge.

Apparently this piece of metal could have come from a ccs charger that was plugged into the car terminal using too much force.

I have my doubts about that bit to be honest, but am currently (pardon the pun!) charging my car at a rapid charger & it’s working!

Thanks to everyone for your input, I really appreciate it.

Probably someone trying to siphon your fuel. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Does anyone know what the name of the black colour (i think it is just BLACK) is on the Irish version of the ioniq and whether it is metallic paint. There are so few details on the Irish site when it comes to configuring the ioniq, the UK site is phantom black and is a metallic add-on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

sean72 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the name of the black colour (i think it is just BLACK) is on the Irish version of the ioniq and whether it is metallic paint. There are so few details on the Irish site when it comes to configuring the ioniq, the UK site is phantom black and is a metallic add-on.

Yeah, it's the Phantom black here too, metallic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭Soarer

Let's name & shame the pricks (plugged in for at least 60 minutes at a fast charger while absent from your vehicle)

1. Leaf 40 181D36303 12/10/2018 FCP B'town. At least 2 hours
    2. Leaf 40 181L1318 10/11/2018 FCP J14. At least 2 hours

Maybe we should start a dedicated thread for this? With photographic evidence of the car hooked up to FCP and charging speeds of under say 20kW? I'v pictures of above arsehole charging at just 2kW, indicating that he was about 98-99% charged

I agree in principal, but your 20kW limit is excessive.

What if it's an L40 suffering from #rapidgate, and yer man still has an hour or two's driving ahead of him. You saying he should charge on AC due to a design flaw of the car?
    Or you're going to insist he sits in the car while it charges, even though he hasn't eaten all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Soarer wrote: »

What if it's an L40 suffering from #rapidgate, and yer man still has an hour or two's driving ahead of him. You saying he should charge on AC due to a design flaw of the car?
    Or you're going to insist he sits in the car while it charges, even though he hasn't eaten all day?

Even in that case, do you think it is acceptable if he leaves his car for over an hour?

Personally I certainly wouldn't do that. Sure go for something to eat etc. but be back as soon as you can and talk to people if they are waiting for you to work something out

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bdeithrick

Even in that case, do you think it is acceptable if he leaves his car for over an hour?

Personally I certainly wouldn't do that. Sure go for something to eat etc. but be back as soon as you can and talk to people if they are waiting for you to work something out

If he’s still charging to 80% and he is with car he’s entitled to charge it
    Not like the pricks in Stillorgan Luas who park all day at the fcp
    A phev outlander Monday All day 151WW2657
    And a seat Toledo yesterday
    **** all help from Gardai , luas , or Ecars.

So a lad charging a leaf to 80-90 is no harm.

bdeithrick wrote: »
    If he’s still charging to 80% and he is with car he’s entitled to charge it

We are not arguing he is or is not entitled to it. Of course he is entitled to it. We are also not arguing about the driver being with the car. We are discussing what it is like when the driver is away from the car.
    bdeithrick wrote: »
    So a lad charging a leaf to 80-90 is no harm.

No harm? A Leaf suffering from #rapidgate could take 2 hours to charge from empty to 90%. I bet you wouldn't be too happy if you drove up to a fast charger, needing just a 15 minute charge to get home, to find an abandoned Leaf in front of you charging for hours on end...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Yeah, it's the Phantom black here too, metallic.

Thanks its a bit confusing as there's not an option to configure. However, when you go through the 'apply for hyundai finance' selecting black (does not refer to phantom), pearl white and aurora silver don't add anything to the finance price. If you select platinum silver, iron grey and marine blue add 600 euro. I thought this might be the difference between metallic and non-metallic.

Sorry I'm a bit paranoid about this as a dealer once tried to charge me for a metallic paint and when I investigated it wasn't metallic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I hope charging for over an hour is rendered obsolete by the pricing regime.
    It's not my fault his car charges too slowly. Sure I could charge from 0-94 (max charge allowed in Ioniq on DC) twice in one hour. More on an Ionity charger.

Proposal in case those involved are listening:
    29c /kWh at fast charger
    €1 per minute charge too, with the first 30 minutes free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

A Nissan Leaf wouldnt interfere with an Ioniq charging if ample charging options were available.

The reason it does today is because chademo and CCS can't BOTH work together on these multi connector chargers.

Even if the Leaf driver and his/her car (full charge rate no rapidgate) behaves perfectly the Ioniq driver can still have a 40 minute delay.

Here's how

11.10 Leaf arrives at charger first so can use it. Car charges at 36 kw (close to full rate).

11.15 the Ioniq arrives and cant charge as Leaf

We clearly have an issue now even though the Leaf has done nothing wrong. A problem that the Leaf driver sitting in her car does not solve.

Even if the Leaf driver makes some sort of compromise and offers to pull off early - that still doesn't solve the problem if the Leaf driver actually legitimately needed a full charge. Ie she needed 75 percent charge to get her to where she needs to be but due to finishing early only got 55 percent on board.

There is a need to deal with muppetry - but if you put in lots of chargers then 2 hour parking restrictions should be enough.

It's a mess but telling people you have to stay in your car is also a disaster as the ability to walk away from your car while charging is important to allowing EVs fit peoples lives.

Perhaps we need to link usage of the machines to.....

Phone number (so muppets can be told go back to the car via call centre or text when taking the urine).

Debit/credit card number - so the muppet gets charged a penalty - say 50 euro a time in addition to normal non muppet charges.

Link to a reg number of EV - this allows the system to know whose card and phone number a car abusing the charging network belongs to.

Dundee council allow you access to some charging if you tell them your reg number. So you can see how a link to a reg number can aid things greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Soarer wrote: »

Charge it in his house like a normal person.

Old diesel wrote: »
    There is a need to deal with muppetry - but if you put in lots of chargers

More chargers and expensive public charging (per minute and per kWh) would fix the issue
    listermint wrote: »
    Charge it in his house like a normal person.

Most EV owners charge at home and / or at work as much as they can, but sometimes you need to drive further than the range of your car.

• Advertisement

More chargers and expensive public charging (per minute and per kWh) would fix the issue

Most EV owners charge at home and / or at work as much as they can, but sometimes you need to drive further than the range of your car.

Indeed, and for those things we have Go Gar, which costs feck all and there is no hanging around charging units like a spanner.

But sure look, people can be boneheaded.

If I was planning the charging network I'd be building the L40 rapidgate issues into planning.

No rapidgate shouldnt have been allowed to happen by Nissan.

But it happens and thus prudent planning should factor in the fact these cars still need to charge but will take longer to do so on some charges.

Bottom line for me is that if a CCS connector is available - the CCS car should be able to charge regardless of what is happening with the L40 next door.

To me this would still apply even if we were still on brand new L30s with no rapidgate

Indeed, and for those things we have Go Gar

Eh, LOL, no. For those things we have a fast charging network where you can quickly top up (Ioniq gets a range of about 100km motorway driving when topped up for 12 minutes at a fast charger like Ionity)

In your Go car, or your diesel, would you not want to stop for 15-20 minutes on a 300km drive from Dublin to Kerry?

Eh, LOL, no. For those things we have a fast charging network where you can quickly top up (Ioniq gets a range of about 100km motorway driving when topped up for 12 minutes at a fast charger like Ionity)

In your Go car, or your diesel, would you not want to stop for 15-20 minutes on a 300km drive from Dublin to Kerry?

We dont have such a think as a fast charging network.

We have a few dotted chargers across the country that are haphazardly located, Are broken or partially working much of the time and are go to points for people getting a free bee charge when they can charge at home locally.

So i disagree.

We are no where near your utopia view noted above. But you know that so no need to explain it to you.

As i said for people on mad long journeys just rent or borrow a vehicle that suits it. until that point we are where we are.

We are no where near your utopia view noted above.

Are we not?

Ionity got approved planning permission for a 6 bay Ionity charging station at J14. Quite likely be up and running in the next few months

2 other Ionity stations have applied for planning permission

All 9 Irish Ionity stations are planned to be in place before the end of 2019 (just a year away)

Ionity has been opening a couple of fast charging stations a week in continental Europe. And today it emerges that Tesla is going to retro-fit its European superchargers for CCS (not clear yet if it will allow non-Teslas to charge)

As i said for people on mad long journeys just rent or borrow a vehicle that suits it. until that point we are where we are.

You can do a mad long (500km) journey with the latest budget EV offerings from Hyundai and Kia without having to stop for charging

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You definitely put on your positive hat this morning unkel! :)

My understanding from the report i just read is this.....

1) Euro spec model 3 will get CCS socket.

2) Tesla will retrofit the ability to do CCS charging at their super chargers to facilitate the Model 3.

Nothing mentioned about other CCS cars using supercharger network.

CCS adaptor coming for Model S and X too apparently

Are we not?

Ionity got approved planning permission for a 6 bay Ionity charging station at J14. Quite likely be up and running in the next few months

2 other Ionity stations have applied for planning permission

All 9 Irish Ionity stations are planned to be in place before the end of 2019 (just a year away)

Ionity has been opening a couple of fast charging stations a week in continental Europe. And today it emerges that Tesla is going to retro-fit its European superchargers for CCS (not clear yet if it will allow non-Teslas to charge)

None of this is built your proving my point for me.

People shouldn't rely on the charge network.

Simple as that. Treat it as an unlikely bonus extra but don't rely on it . Especially not for long journeys .

Can let you down .

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    You definitely put on your positive hat this morning unkel! :)

Well I agree with listermint that the current fast charging network has become a shambles with the doubling of EVs this year and the new phenomenon of owners leaving their (extremely slowly charging) cars for hours. I would be very reluctant to drive beyond the range of my car
    None of this is built your proving my point for me.

Not yet built in Ireland, but with planning approved and a track record of German Gründlichkeit it is far closer to reality than it is to utopia. And I'm far from an optimist in this area if you've been following my posts...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement