Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KCross wrote: »
    There are a few folks now who have said they ended up with a dead 12V so it seems common enough.

I don't think I've noticed it in the Ioniq forums last winter, but 3 people impacted in this thread alone seems more than a coincidence alright. I have the same pattern of lots of small cold start trips and only charging the car maybe twice a week, but so far I haven't had any issues myself with the battery

What doesn't help of course is that the battery is only something like 35Ah, which is ridiculously low (I'll have a look one of these days to see exactly how much it is). My previous car had a 95Ah 12V battery, which gives a lot more of a buffer

And you would have thought, in this day and age and in an EV, they would have used a li-ion battery instead of lead acid. That would have added what to the cost of the car, maybe €100? Porsche was using li-ion aux batteries over 10 years ago (but yeah I know, they were and still are the exception)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Isn't there a version of the Ioniq somewhere in the world where the 12v battery has been done away with, and it's functions covered by the main battery pack?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I've read somewhere some reasons why the 12V isnt a Li-ion. There is some technical reason why they have done that... cant remember why now though.

What seems odd to me is that both Nissan and Hyundai have both got the charge regime for the 12V wrong in their software. 3 people on this small forum alone is a significant number. Lots of examples of it on the UK forums for the Leaf as well.

Instead of charging it at the end of the HV charge session why dont they do it at the start and give it a decent topup each time.
    And why doesnt it sense the 12V charge level more often than every few days. Why doesnt it sense it every time you turn the car on and top it up until its at a decent level and not stop just because you've turned the car off. No point in having a fully charged HV if the 12V is dead so clearly its a weak point they have overlooked in their software.

unkel wrote: »
    I have the same pattern of lots of small cold start trips and only charging the car maybe twice a week, but so far I haven't had any issues myself with the battery

Have you stuck a multi-meter on it? Maybe its about to die? ;)

I'll have a look when I have a chance :)

• Advertisement

Battery is 40Ah. Mine is currently at 12.46V. Not brilliant for a healthy battery, but more than enough to start Ioniq. It doesn't have to turn over an internal combustion engine after all :D

Must keep a wee eye on it over the winter. Fortunately I bought a couple of £20 li-ion (!) jump starter packs a few weeks ago on an Amazon lightning deal. These are tiny, but got good reviews and apparently they can jump a petrol / diesel engine up to 2.5l displacement. Note to self: throw one of these into Ioniq.

Battery is 40Ah. Mine is currently at 12.46V. Not brilliant for a healthy battery, but more than enough to start Ioniq. It doesn't have to turn over an internal combustion engine after all :D

Thats probably around 70-80% so, as you said, not great but still plenty. But clearly not float charging it enough. If that was an ICE it would be at 100%.

Once you start getting down to 12V you are at about 30%.

Maybe do a 100% charge over the weekend, let it rest for a few hours and test again and see does it bump it back up to 12.7V (100%)?

I'd also, and others too I'm sure, would be interested to see if you turned the car on now while its plugged in would it start charging the 12V (3rd blue light flashing)? I wonder at what voltage does it trigger a boost on that aux saver+ mode?

Thats probably around 70-80% so, as you said, not great but still plenty.

And that was not long after doing well over an hour of Dublin city driving (over about 3 hours total time)
    Maybe do a 100% charge over the weekend, let it rest for a few hours and test again and see does it bump it back up to 12.7V (100%)?

It's plugged in now. It will start charging just after midnight and it should be finished by about 3-4AM. If I remember in the morning, I'll measure it!

What's with the 70-80%, 30% and 100% you mention though? Is that some sort of battery health scale that I'm not aware about?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Must keep a wee eye on it over the winter. Fortunately I bought a couple of £20 li-ion (!) jump starter packs a few weeks ago on an Amazon lightning deal. These are tiny, but got good reviews and apparently they can jump a petrol / diesel engine up to 2.5l displacement. Note to self: throw one of these into Ioniq.

Got one for the father in law... Works great as for some reason his battery kept dying. Focus not ev but done the job.

What's with the 70-80%, 30% and 100% you mention though? Is that some sort of battery health scale that I'm not aware about?

Yea, its not an exact science.... a few variables with temp etc but its a good indication nonetheless

A quick google showed up a few articles with the approximate tables...

Table 2 and Figure 2
    https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_state_of_charge

Section 6....
    https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html

• Advertisement

A quick google showed up a few articles with the approximate tables...

Table 2 and Figure 2
    https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_state_of_charge

State of charge of a lead acid battery:

voltage-band.jpg

That seems on the ball. I remember my 5l V8 petrol Porsche with its dodgy battery reliably enough starting when the battery was down to about 12.2V :o

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Folks

I am looking for some assistance from wiser heads.:cool:

Having traveled almost 45k km it is time to replace my tyres before the roads get icy.:P

Should i replace them with the same, or are there better ones. My primary need to to extend range to the best possible extent.:confused:

Thank you in advance for anyone who can assist in removing some of my ignorance. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

mouthful wrote: »
    Folks

I am looking for some assistance from wiser heads.:cool:

Having traveled almost 45k km it is time to replace my tyres before the roads get icy.:P

Should i replace them with the same, or are there better ones. My primary need to to extend range to the best possible extent.:confused:

Thank you in advance for anyone who can assist in removing some of my ignorance. :pac:

The Michelen tyres on it are specifically designed to optimise efficiency and range. Would prefer a bit extra grip, myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Hi all,
    So far absolutely loving my Ioniq Premium SE.

I just wondered if anyone could enlighten me about the scheduled charging option? Having read the recent posts about battery issues on cold mornings I decided to set up scheduled charging, along with setting the cabin heat for each weekday morning.

I’ve selected my morning departure time, the cabin temperature etc etc. I then get a message that scheduled charging has been set & to connect my (Zappi) charger, which I do. At this point I’ve tried to switch off the engine, but I get a warning that the engine must be left on for this feature to work.

Although I was a bit surprised at having to leave the engine on, I suppose I can see the logic to it. However, if I leave the engine on & get out of the car, I get a warning sound, and not only that, I can’t lock the car. Obviously I can’t leave the car unlocked all night! Currently my battery charge is at 72%, but it looks like the car starts charging straightaway. This surely can’t be right either, as my scheduled departure time is 8am tomorrow morning?

Can anyone enlighten me? I’ve checked the manual, and even resorted to looking at a few YouTube “How to set up scheduled charging on your Ioniq EV” videos, and it looks like I’m doing everything right, but I’m clearly not! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Your engine needs to be on to edit the charge settings, but once they're saved, you can switch it off as normal.

Your engine needs to be on to edit the charge settings, but once they're saved, you can switch it off as normal.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Will give that a try :)

Edited to add that I’ve set it up again, switched off the engine, connected the charger, but it started to charge straightaway. I don’t think it should be charging already, but I’ll leave it alone until the morning & see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Fishy1 wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Will give that a try :)

Edited to add that I’ve set it up again, switched off the engine, connected the charger, but it started to charge straightaway. I don’t think it should be charging already, but I’ll leave it alone until the morning & see what happens.

You probably need to go onto the “off-peak tariffs”menu to tell it to charge only after midnight (assuming you’ve cheaper night-rate electricity).

If you don’t have that setting activated, it will just start charging up to 100% right away. Once finished, it will stop until the morning, when it will start pulling from the charger before your departure time to heat the cabin, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

>You probably need to go onto the “off->peak tariffs”menu to tell it to charge only >after midnight (

This is correct. But beware if you ever try charge during the day for example at a public charger, IT WILL NOT CHARGE until this timer is disabled. There is a handy button beside the charging cap release button, to disable the timer. This has caught out many an ioniq owner when charging daytime. So from now on if a charger does not work, check the timer is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

zg3409 wrote: »
    >You probably need to go onto the “off->peak tariffs”menu to tell it to charge only >after midnight (

This is correct. But beware if you ever try charge during the day for example at a public charger, IT WILL NOT CHARGE until this timer is disabled. There is a handy button beside the charging cap release button, to disable the timer. This has caught out many an ioniq owner when charging daytime. So from now on if a charger does not work, check the timer is off.
    +1
    I've been "got" a few times with this one.

It's the problem with scheduling home charges but wanting to charge instantly at work!

Thanks everyone,
    Car was fully charged & nice & warm at the designated time this morning. This is one of the many perks of owning an EV :)

On a slightly similar vein, I’ve noticed that the defrost option on the rear windscreen is very slow. The lower half of the rear split window defrosts quickly, but the upper section takes ages. I actually thought that it wasn’t working at all, but did a quick Google & it seems to be mentioned a lot on Ioniq discussion forums.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for your replies. No doubt I’ll be back with more queries shortly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

The Michelen tyres on it are specifically designed to optimise efficiency and range. Would prefer a bit extra grip, myself!

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Had hoped there was something to deliver another few km.

So I nearly crashed my EV ioniq earlier this week on the m50 in morning rush hour. As captured on dashcam above I was driving in adaptive cruise with 2 bar distance set, then the automatic emergency braking (aeb) kicked in. (You can hear beeping on audio) I thought I was going to hit the car in front so also applied brakes myself at last second as car did not seem to be fully stopping. It felt as it was not putting on the brakes hard enough, particularly near the end.

On reading the manual afterwards it says above 50mph the aeb may not actually bring the car to a stop and it may also not fully stop the car before hitting the car in front. The conditions were nearly perfect, dry road, car directly in front, car already slowing using adaptive cruise. It was dark. The ioniq uses both radar and camera for aeb so it is quite an advanced system compared to may cars with similar systems.

I see some interesting links about aeb, second one not ioniq specific:

https://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/7-hyundai-ioniq-general-discussion/10458-emergency-braking-range.html#/topics/10458?page=1

https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/your-automatic-braking-system-might-not-stop-your--257115

The moral of the story is that the beeps mean you should brake the car and the aeb is actually designed to not stop you before you hit the car in front in some situations, particularly at motorway speeds. The adaptive cruise will not slow you fast enough in many sudden situations and aeb is just a last resort partial collision reduction system and will NOT apply the anchors even if a driver would, as it is designed not to suddenly stop on a motorway. I stopped with 1 to 2ft to spare and the car behind me stopped within a couple of feet of rear ending me. If I had applied the brakes really hard at the start, it is very likely I would have been rear ended. You can brake harder than the aeb system at high speeds and the system expects you to do so if required, as it will not.

Of course if you buy a paddy spec kona, you might find yourself out of luck as the paddy spec does not have aeb.

Stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Always makes wonder what the **** is happening when traffic is coming to a stop in the overtaking lane, and all other lanes are moving.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

Wait. Did you not see the car in front break until you near hit it?

The adaptive cruise control slowed the car down as it does in stop go traffic, the beeps alerted that a more sudden stop was needed and the aeb braked further. What I got wrong is that I thought aeb would brake better than a human, when in fact it was expecting the driver to brake. I did see car in front and I had my foot on the brake, but I only pressed hard when the aeb seemed to fail to stop the car. Cars grind to a stop generally due to tailgating and overloaded lanes, which causes a ripple of braking which causes total stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jeremy_g

yep, the problem is over reliance on assistive technology :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Anyone else notice the four bar distance varies with the speed of the of the traffic, I tend to limit the two bar and below distance to the lower speed limits, On the motorway two bars can leave you short.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Glen Immal wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the four bar distance varies with the speed of the of the traffic, I tend to limit the two bar and below distance to the lower speed limits, On the motorway two bars can leave you short.
    I generally use 1 bar but I find this doesn't work so well in emergency situations.
    2+ bars means people tend to pull in to the gap ahead of you unsafely.

Me again, and this is probably a stupid question!

Getting brave now & thinking that we might take a trip down to Kerry in the Ioniq for a few days.

Just wondering about charging the car en route. Is it possible to use a rapid charger? I’m based in Waterford & have tried unsuccessfully (twice) to use the one & only rapid charger in a garage on the outskirts of the city.

The connection seems to start & then a message pops up on the Ecars screen to say “Charging Complete”.

There is another rapid charger (I think) in the Emo station at Junction 10 on the M9. I suppose that I could take a spin up & see if I can get the Ioniq to charge on that one.

Getting back to the planned trip to Kerry, I could take a longer break on the way down & just charge the car at the ordinary ecars charging points, but I’d just like to know if the rapid chargers are an option for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Two fast charging units in Macroom anyway. One vehicle at most, occupancy is lowish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement