Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭Soarer

listermint wrote: »
    Charge it in his house like a normal person.

Enlightened.

So explain how he's supposed to get home to charge, if he doesn't have enough charge to get home?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Soarer wrote: »
    Enlightened.

So explain how he's supposed to get home to charge, if he doesn't have enough charge to get home?

It's simple if you are an L40 driver and you think theres a chance you might hold up an Ioniq driver - you just dont do the journey.

At least that's the conclusion the recent posts on this thread give anyway.

Which I consider nonsense but hey ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭Soarer

Old diesel wrote: »
    It's simple if you are an L40 driver and you think theres a chance you might hold up an Ioniq driver - you just dont do the journey.

At least that's the conclusion the recent posts on this thread give anyway.

Which I consider nonsense but hey ho.

Not just this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Charge for it. Because it's out of hand and going to get worse.

That would see the powder of all these long term Parkers.

Because that's what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

listermint wrote: »
    Charge for it.

Aye. Charge for fast charging. And charge for it heavily. Something like:
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Proposal in case those involved are listening:
    29c /kWh at fast charger
    €1 per minute charge too, with the first 30 minutes free.

Or even more. I would have no problem with twice those rates per kWh and per minute. It will make sure the fast charging network is only used by people who need it for long distance travel beyond the range of their car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

unkel wrote: »
    Aye. Charge for fast charging. And charge for it heavily. Something like:

Or even more. I would have no problem with twice those rates per kWh and per minute. It will make sure the fast charging network is only used by people who need it for long distance travel beyond the range of their car.

Rates like that will also ensure we do not have an extensive charging network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

liamog wrote: »
    Rates like that will also ensure we do not have an extensive charging network.

And we will also have a rather large block for people to take up EV ownership. If the cost to charge is the same, or even close, as running a diesel, why would anyone put up with the wait time to charge. They'll just stay with their diesels.

We have enough blocks to uptake including manufacturer gouging customers, lack of vehicle choice, ESB only half-heartedly committed to keeping the network, such as it it, running, etc. We don't need to add excessive charging. Anything over peak rate domestic charge per unit will do the job of keeping the chargers clear. No need to punish those that have no choice but to use the public network.

And we will also have a rather large block for people to take up EV ownership. If the cost to charge is the same, or even close, as running a diesel, why would anyone put up with the wait time to charge. They'll just stay with their diesels.

We have enough blocks to uptake including manufacturer gouging customers, lack of vehicle choice, ESB only half-heartedly committed to keeping the network, such as it it, running, etc. We don't need to add excessive charging. Anything over peak rate domestic charge per unit will do the job of keeping the chargers clear. No need to punish those that have no choice but to use the public network.

Exactly

Really we need to be getting to a point where most towns and villages have reliable public charging.

With lots of capacity at the busy spot.

For me Dundee is a good example of public charging provision planned well - albeit i believe the Scots don't actually charge you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

6c/kWh at home for 99% of charging or you've bought the wrong car ;)

6c/kWh at home for 99% of charging or you've bought the wrong car ;)

Not that simple though. A part of the decision process to move to EV would be the need to get a day/night meter, and the extra annual costs associated with that. Most people would use the worst case figures in their calculations, which would be their current 24 hour rate, and would include VAT. ;)

99% would only apply after a fee was introduced to use the chargers. I have nothing to back this up, but I can't imagine there are very many people currently doing 99% of their charging at home, while there's free electricity to be had. Human nature and all that.

Because of my use pattern and necessity (and my nature as a human:P) I reckon that 95% of my charging is done on the public network. I know of some where that figure is 100%.

Fees for charging should be high enough to chase the likes of me back to their home chargers, where possible,:o but not so high as to be a negative factor in the decision process.

• Advertisement

Not that simple though. A part of the decision process to move to EV would be the need to get a day/night meter, and the extra annual costs associated with that. Most people would use the worst case figures in their calculations, which would be their current 24 hour rate, and would include VAT. ;)

99% would only apply after a fee was introduced to use the chargers. I have nothing to back this up, but I can't imagine there are very many people currently doing 99% of their charging at home, while there's free electricity to be had. Human nature and all that.

Because of my use pattern and necessity (and my nature as a human:P) I reckon that 95% of my charging is done on the public network. I know of some where that figure is 100%.

Fees for charging should be high enough to chase the likes of me back to their home chargers, where possible,:o but not so high as to be a negative factor in the decision process.
    Moving to a night meter is free.
    I believe once you use 20% of your energy at night it is advantageous to have one, and for me, I had a night meter before I had my EV for that reason.

Whether it's 6c at night or worst case 17c at day time for 99% of the charging it's still not even in the same stratosphere as fossil fuel. If 95-100% of your charging is on the public network by necessity then you have bought the wrong car.

If it's 95-100% of your charging is on the public network now for cheapness then you just don't value your time. It costs approx €2 on night rate to charge an Ioniq from 0 to full. If sitting at a fast charger for 34 minutes from 0 to 94% is worth €2 to you then you need either a better paid job or a reality check.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are you talking SCP or FCP charging? Do you spend alot of time waiting around for the car to charge?

Why dont you charge at home... is it just to save the few quid you do it?

KCross wrote: »
    Are you talking SCP or FCP charging? Do you spend alot of time waiting around for the car to charge?

€2 per charge saving, even if he's charging all the time at fast chargers it means he values his time at best at €4 per hour, and this does not exclude time spent driving to and from the fast charger.

He is a prime example of why we need payment for charging now, and why it needs to be dearer than home charging by some margin.

€2 per charge saving, even if he's charging all the time at fast chargers it means he values his time at best at €4 per hour, and this does not exclude time spent driving to and from the fast charger.

He is a prime example of why we need payment for charging now, and why it needs to be dearer than home charging by some margin.

Wow, wow, steady on there. My usage pattern is not the normal commute to work and home. I'm retired and live the life of leisure. Yesterday I ran up to Dublin, did a bit of stuff up there and ran back down. 2 fast charges required, so shoot me.

Tomorrow, I'll go into Wexford, do a bit of shopping and have lunch, while my car will be on a slow charger. That's what they're for, right? I plan to go to Waterford over the weekend, where I'll use a destination charger.

You two are talking like I'm a two headed demon, without knowing my usage and charging pattern. Of course I charge at home. Of course I use fast chargers as necessary, on route, of course I use destination charging. I don't think I'm at all unique in my usage, maybe I'm just more honest.

Jeez, high horse brigade out in force today. :p

Wow, wow, steady on there. My usage pattern is not the normal commute to work and home. I'm retired and live the life of leisure. Yesterday I ran up to Dublin, did a bit of stuff up there and ran back down. 2 fast charges required, so shoot me.

Tomorrow, I'll go into Wexford, do a bit of shopping and have lunch, while my car will be on a slow charger. That's what they're for, right? I plan to go to Waterford over the weekend, where I'll use a destination charger.

You two are talking like I'm a two headed demon, without knowing my usage and charging pattern. Of course I charge at home. Of course I use fast chargers as necessary, on route, of course I use destination charging. I don't think I'm at all unique in my usage, maybe I'm just more honest.

Wow wow steady on there. I didnt put you down at all. I asked you some basic questions, without any judgement at all, and you've given the answers. Thanks! :)

Wow wow steady on there. I didnt put you down at all. I asked you some basic questions, without any judgement at all, and you've given the answers. Thanks! :)

Well, the bolded part was an assumption that I never charge at home, and that I'm just a miser. :D

Doesnt align with:

Well, the bolded part was an assumption that I never charge at home, and that I'm just a miser. :D

You said 95% of your charging was on the public network so I knew you had a home charger for the other 5%. I then asked you why you were using the public network so much and asked if it was to save money or not.

No assumptions, just a question which I asked and you have answered.

Nowhere in my post did I put you down.

Doesnt align with:

How does it not? My usage pattern allows for me to us the public network most of the time. Again, that's what destination chargers are for, right? I only use fast chargers as a necessity, I don't go out of my way to use them, not that there are any CCS chargers within an asses roar of where I live.

I'm not the first to post on here that I use the public charging network as an opportunist, and I'm far from the only one to do it. Are you saying that you don't plug in to the public network when you can? Probably not, because that would make you a hypocrite. :p

Look, lads, this is all great banter, but be realistic. I'm sure most of us take advantage of the free charge when it's available. Am I wrong in this? Am I just a miserable git? I won't deny that it's possible and that a fixed income over many years will do that to you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Jeazus i hope people considering buying a EV don't read threads like this or scan through the various facebook groups or i can foresee a resurgence in the oul' ICE cars .......

• Advertisement

Interesting report from Ioniq driver on Irish EV owners association.

He got a charger error message (when using a fast charger) BUT his car actually charged up.

Wierd one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭1874

Moreilly wrote: »
    Jeazus i hope people considering buying a EV don't read threads like this or scan through the various facebook groups or i can foresee a resurgence in the oul' ICE cars .......

Why? it looks like charging an EV is more cost effective than petrol or diesel,
    Id like to see some cost comparisons but Im not sure how they are compared. The considerations for fuel costs would be how much it is for the consumer to purchase the fuel (or electricity) at. In the end thats what it costs to deliver to the end user generally, I know there are taxes on fuels and potentially subsidies on EVs that arent related to the respective products.
    Be good to know how much loses there are in delivering electricity, but that might be more difficult to determine the cost of, but there is a whole infrastructure to deliver liquid fuels and the cost/impact/effciency of that is never considered.
    Even recently Id considered of going a hybrid vehicle route, but when you see what is available now, it seems likely the options could cover the distances for most peoples needs, and no tailpipe emmisions, think its coming whether people like it or not, maybe something else will come along too, but I think it will be a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

>it looks like charging an EV is more cost >effective than petrol or diesel,
    >Id like to see some cost comparisons

My electric cost is 400 per year measured after losses at home charger not car, night rate.

Diesel for same commute approx 2000

Petrol guzzler was 4000 per year.

110km per day. Also 400 savings in tolls. It is mostly just tax avoidance. Ioniq EV. All motorway on m50 at rush hour. I have 45 to 50% battery spare each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Shefwedfan wrote:
    Hyundai have partnered with Vodafone, looks like app could be coming in Europe....

No way, that would be great!!

However it's on "upcoming 2019 models" from how I'd read the article, so I don't think current Ioniqs will get it. I don't think the current batch of cars have the module for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

BigAl81 wrote: »
    No way, that would be great!!

However it's on "upcoming 2019 models" from how I'd read the article, so I don't think current Ioniqs will get it. I don't think the current batch of cars have the module for it?

No it would be rolled out with new models.....

Kia will get as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

The prices of the Ioniq in general seem a little perplexing, is it just the short supply I wonder? I'm debating swapping one of the Leafs for an Ioniq to try it out, but looking on Autotrader at say these three -
    2016 - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810171586932 £21000
    2017 - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811072220909 £23400
    2018 - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201810251831824 £22995

How are these all so closely priced given they're same specs, similar(ish) low mileage, same colour, all from dealers etc but three years of different ages. Hard to know what good value is :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Do Hyundai recommend any specific type of home charger for their range?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement