Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You should be able to use any CCS charger. Pretty much a necessity for longer trips -- you'll tear your hair our relying on slow chargers.

Just plug it in, swipe your card, and it should start (after maybe 10 seconds of communication). I believe fast chargers override your scheduled charging settings, but if not, there's a button by your right knee to temporarily disabled that.

The network is increasingly busy though, so expect to queue at some chargers. If somebody is already charging on either CCS or Chademo, you cannot charge at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hardly ever saw 2 cars charging in Macroom, so he should be ok if that's his route.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

You should be able to use any CCS charger. Pretty much a necessity for longer trips -- you'll tear your hair our relying on slow chargers.

Just plug it in, swipe your card, and it should start (after maybe 10 seconds of communication). I believe fast chargers override your scheduled charging settings, but if not, there's a button by your right knee to temporarily disabled that.

Thanks for that. I’d disabled the scheduled charging, so that wasn’t the issue at the rapid charger. I’ve used the regular chargers with my ESB card & had no issues, it just seems to be a problem with the rapid charger. Maybe it’s just that particular charger is a bit dodgy. Will try using a rapid charger elsewhere & see what happens.
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Fishy1 wrote: »
    There is another rapid charger (I think) in the Emo station at Junction 10 on the M9. I suppose that I could take a spin up & see if I can get the Ioniq to charge on that one.

That one (Knocktopher) doesn’t have CCS, so you won’t be able to rapid charge there. You might be able to use the Fast-AC connector there, but the Ioniq is limited to 7 kw by its onboard charger. Personally, I haven’t been able to charge on that one yet - each time I’ve tried, ive got errors.

The closest other CCS charger to us therefore is probably Gorey, and on the way down to Kerry, there’s one in Rochestown in Cork city, plus a new one on the northside somewhere, which I haven’t used. You’ll have to travel quite a distance therefore to use one other than that one by the Whitfield Clinic.

Just a quick update:
    We made it to Kenmare in the Ioniq but unfortunately we had no success with trying to use the rapid chargers along the way.

We stopped at Rochestown first. The car connected ok, but then disconnected after about 60 seconds & a “Charge Complete” message showed up on the ESB ECars charging unit. We decided at that stage to head into Cork city & charged the car in the Paul Street multi storey car park, using a charger fitted by Nigel Daly. We got up to about 75% battery after a 3 hour charge & headed for Macroom.

Same issue again with the rapid charger unit in Macroom - car connected to the ccs chargepoint, but after about 60 seconds it disconnected again & the “Charge Complete” message flashed up on the display screen on the ECar charging unit. Fortunately we still had enough battery to get us to our destination anyway.

So, are we doing something wrong, or is this a common issue with Ioniqs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

Maybe others can chime in With a more technical explanation but those Eface chargers never never work first time for my Ioniq.

When if you see an error message you can use one of the buttons on the right hand side of the screen to complete session or something similar
    Scroll down and seiect that , it’s the last option, I think it’s underneath “language”
    Then the process restarts and you replug in . You’ll heard the click again and the fans come on .
    It usually only works the second or third time on my Ioniq and afair never stsrts fast charging the first time I try .

I lock mine first as well as before attempting a fast charge
    Before my esb card arrived the chap on the esb helpline asked me to lock my car a d switch off Bluetooth on my phone when I was having trouble at Cashel fast charger .
    I must say though I don’t normally turn it off Bluetooth but 3 hrs is a long time in the city center so it’s worth a shot ...

There is a slow charger ( 4 hrs from empty for you ) behind Whites centra in kenmare and perhaps you can retry the Macroom fast on the way home .
    Finally have you tried ringing the ESB helpline on the charger when you get stuck ?
    Always found them helpful..
    They could probably throw a few more suggestions at you

Best luck with it

TOLLOT wrote: »
    Maybe others can chime in With a more technical explanation but those Eface chargers never never work first time for my Ioniq.

When if you see an error message you can use one of the buttons on the right hand side of the screen to complete session or something similar
    Scroll down and seiect that , it’s the last option, I think it’s underneath “language”
    Then the process restarts and you replug in . You’ll heard the click again and the fans come on .
    It usually only works the second or third time on my Ioniq and afair never stsrts fast charging the first time I try .

I lock mine first as well as before attempting a fast charge
    Before my esb card arrived the chap on the esb helpline asked me to lock my car a d switch off Bluetooth on my phone when I was having trouble at Cashel fast charger .
    I must say though I don’t normally turn it off Bluetooth but 3 hrs is a long time in the city center so it’s worth a shot ...

There is a slow charger ( 4 hrs from empty for you ) behind Whites centra in kenmare and perhaps you can retry the Macroom fast on the way home .
    Finally have you tried ringing the ESB helpline on the charger when you get stuck ?
    Always found them helpful..
    They could probably throw a few more suggestions at you

Best luck with it

Thanks so much for the detailed reply, Tollot.
    I had an issue with my ESB card being recognised at the Rochestown chargepoint, so I ended up ringing the Ecars helpline to get them to start the charge. As you said, they’re really helpful, but even after they reset the whole charging point, I had exactly the same issue when I connected the car again.

I’m ok for now, as the hotel we’re staying in very kindly offered to let us charge overnight using a granny cable. We might try Macroom again on the way back & see if we can go through the menu options you suggested. It’s just a bit disheartening that we had to have a long stopover on the way here, and will probably have to do the same again on the way back to Waterford. Apart from that though, we really enjoyed the drive!

Thanks again for taking the time to offer some advice. I’m relieved to hear that it wasn’t something that we were doing wrong anyway! Being new to EVs, it’s all a bit of a steep learning curve :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's not normal, Fishy1. It sure is not an issue with Ioniq. If you have tried several different CCS chargers and you have the same issue on all of them, bring the car back to Hyundai. The Efacec fast chargers can be a bit hit and miss though. Occasionally I've had to start the charge a few times before it worked. Several of them have had issues with the card reader too (so you need to ring ecars so they can start it remotely)

And of course the busiest fast charger in Ireland (Efacec in Lucan) has been down for over 2 months now :rolleyes:

We really, really need those proper Ionity superfast chargers. I have no faith at all in the ability of ESB or Efacec in maintaining the current Irish public fast charging network.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Efacec have been consistently the most reliable fast charger for me, both when I had the leaf and now the ioniq.
    I've never had issues with the charge not starting (except a couple of times at Ashbourne but the charger was marked "out of contact so I think that was the cause).

TIP: You have to have the car switched off to start a CCS charge, if you plug it in when it's switched on you will get these error messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

For what it's worth someone on Twitter had an issue that sounds similar to Fishy1s with a brand new UK Ioniq when trying to rapid charge. This was in the last 4 to 5 days.

If Fishy1s car is new is it possible that Hyundai have made some software change.

Worth noting that the Kona in UK is having issues with ecotricity chargers and it was also on ecotricity that the new UK Ioniq had issues.

Could be a red herring though :(

• Advertisement

Old diesel wrote: »
    For what it's worth someone on Twitter had an issue that sounds similar to Fishy1s with a brand new UK Ioniq when trying to rapid charge. This was in the last 4 to 5 days.

If Fishy1s car is new is it possible that Hyundai have made some software change.

Worth noting that the Kona in UK is having issues with ecotricity chargers and it was also on ecotricity that the new UK Ioniq had issues.

Could be a red herring though :(

UK chargers (Ecotricity anyway) are DBT units (or ABB, can't remember) and are running crap software and are often limited to <40kW for CCS. We dont have that here, 99% of the fast chargers that have CCS are efacec which do not give the same CCS software problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I've had maybe a 50/50 success rate with it charging first time on any of the fast chargers.
    100% always works on the AC chargers but when using the CCS at least 50% of the time I have to reconnect to get it to start. It will connect, then you hear a clunk from the charger then stops charging. Sometimes it can take 3-4 starts to get it going. I've also had 2 occasions where I had to power down the car fully, lock it, then unlock and start it up with no foot on the brake pedal so it doesn't start the motor but electrics and dash are on then it will connect.
    BTW that's all at the ecars fcps. Anyone I've ever talked to at them has had similar issues, whether it be Ioniq or Leaf.
    It would scare a non technical new owner imho.
    I wonder do teslas have issues at the superchargers??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭Soarer

Wouldn't have these problems in an L40.

Chademo all over the place.

Soarer wrote: »
    Wouldn't have these problems in an L40.

Chademo all over the place.

:rolleyes:
    And you see fit to spout on about "blinded fanboy nonsense" whenever "the ioniq brigade" dare reccomend an Ioniq to anyone?

FWIW I had more issues with chademo when I had my leaf, than I've had with CCS in my Ioniq. I was never stranded in my Ioniq, in the leaf I was for 2 hours in enniskillen at an SCP.

ELM327 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    And you see fit to spout on about "blinded fanboy nonsense" whenever "the ioniq brigade" dare reccomend an Ioniq to anyone?

Surely you're not so blinded as to not get the sarcasm?

And for clarification, I've never had a problem with anyone recommend an Ioniq to anyone else! I've done it myself, and he only collected it on Saturday!

It's the other tripe you/ye spout that gets old.

Soarer wrote: »
    Surely you're not so blinded as to not get the sarcasm?

And for clarification, I've never had a problem with anyone recommend an Ioniq to anyone else! I've done it myself, and he only collected it on Saturday!

It's the other tripe you/ye spout that gets old.
    No sarcasm in black and white text though.
    And as (converse of what you/ye spout in the leaf threads) this is the Ioniq thread so Chademo discussion is not needed :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

ELM327 wrote: »
    UK chargers (Ecotricity anyway) are DBT units (or ABB, can't remember) and are running crap software and are often limited to <40kW for CCS. We dont have that here, 99% of the fast chargers that have CCS are efacec which do not give the same CCS software problems.

I'm just baffled as to why an Irish car is showing similar issues.

This raises the possibility however small that there MIGHT be a connection to Hyundai if new 2018 Ioniqs are displaying issues.

What will be interesting is to see whether another CCS model (ie i3 or eGolf) charges okay at the Rochestown or Macroom chargers.

Or whether a 2016/17 Ioniq also charges successfully at those rapid chargers.

A charger issue or a specific to Fishys car fault is most likely though

I'm just baffled as to why an Irish car is showing similar issues.

This raises the possibility however small that there MIGHT be a connection to Hyundai if new 2018 Ioniqs are displaying issues.

What will be interesting is to see whether another CCS model (ie i3 or eGolf) charges okay at the Rochestown or Macroom chargers.

Or whether a 2016/17 Ioniq also charges successfully at those rapid chargers.

A charger issue or a specific to Fishys car fault is most likely though

I have charged on CCS at rochestown without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Isnt it possible to get a readout of the firmware that is running in the Ioniq via the menus? Just crossref that to an older Ioniq would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I had an issue with my ESB card being recognised at the Rochestown chargepoint, so I ended up ringing the Ecars helpline to get them to start the charge.

The rochestown card reader was kaput about 1-2 months ago and you had to ring them to start (and stop) the charge session. They did fix it since but maybe the issue is happening again.

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    The rochestown card reader was kaput about 1-2 months ago and you had to ring them to start (and stop) the charge session. They did fix it since but maybe the issue is happening again.

Yup.

I used it 2 weeks ago, and had to ring them to start it.

Thanks to everyone for your input & suggestions.

We spent the day touring the Beara Peninsula. The Ioniq is such a pleasure to drive! We had a full charge setting out from the hotel this morning & did a lot of driving around. We stopped for lunch in Castletownbere & topped up our charge a little via the standard Ecars fast charger in the town square.

We’ll try the rapid charger again in Macroom tomorrow & do as many of you suggested - persist in trying to charge if we don’t succeed on our 1st attempt.

If we don’t have any luck I’ll contact the Hyundai dealer when we get home. Even though I bought the car from the dealer, it was a UK 181 import (Premium SE), so that may be part of the issue. Hopefully it will be easily resolved, as apart from this issue I’m really happy with the car.

Anyone any issues with LKAS this morning?
    Seems like the sensors are susceptible to being iced. It took 50km this morning before they "woke up". This was the first time in 25k km that I've had to drive "manually" on the motorway, I've almost forgotten how to :P

Just to let you all know that we tried the rapid charger in Macroom on our way home. Engine was definitely turned off etc etc. I also turned off my phone’s bluetooth & other half’s bluetooth as one of you had mentioned that they had been advised to disable theirs. After about 6 failed attempts we gave up.

I’ve been in contact with the Dublin based Hyundai dealer who sold the car to me. He was very sympathetic & made contact with my local Hyundai dealer (car is obviously under warranty still, so it makes more sense to try & get the issue sorted locally). Car is booked in with them for week after next. I’ll post any updates once I know what’s happening.

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions. Hopefully it will be a straightforward fix.
    PS I took a look at the screen displaying the Firmware version. It means nothing to me, but maybe some of you might be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

I would suggest you try charge at other fast chargers before you go to the dealer.

According to zap map 2 people reported issues macroom charger on CCS earlier this year and said the esb were having trouble getting spare parts to fix it. I can't see anybody that used CCS there recently on either zapmap or plugshare apps. If you are in Waterford area try a few CCS chargers like west of city on cork road but there is a comment a month ago it was not charging on CCS. There is a chance it is mostly charger issues you are having, try a trip to cashel, as I suspect the dealer will have neither the tools nor experience to check a fast charge port.

zg3409 wrote: »
    I would suggest you try charge at other fast chargers before you go to the dealer.

According to zap map 2 people reported issues macroom charger on CCS earlier this year and said the esb were having trouble getting spare parts to fix it. I can't see anybody that used CCS there recently on either zapmap or plugshare apps. If you are in Waterford area try a few CCS chargers like west of city on cork road but there is a comment a month ago it was not charging on CCS. There is a chance it is mostly charger issues you are having, try a trip to cashel, as I suspect the dealer will have neither the tools nor experience to check a fast charge port.

Thanks for your reply. Have tried that CCS charger in Waterford on a few occasions recently, also the one in Rochestown (Cork), as well as the one in Macroom. I’ve been on the phone to ECars whilst attempting to charge at both the Waterford & Rochestown charge points. They were very helpful & did a shutdown / reset of the chargers for me, to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

I understand you think the issue is probably your car, but I suspect that it may be the CCS on these specific chargers. Even working chargers often need a few attempts, and as I suggested macroom may have had a CCS fault for the last 9 months+. Try cashel if u can

PS I took a look at the screen displaying the Firmware version. It means nothing to me, but maybe some of you might be interested?

Yeah post up a pic of it or even just rewrite the txt of it. We know what the latest software is so we can tell if you're on something different or not.

My current is this... I updated it to this when I got the car, to stop it losing it's charging settings.

Software: AE_EV.EUR.SOP.005.3.170927
    Firmware: AE_EV.EUR.0.5.222.170920.MICOM
    Nav App: STD_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.170927.a803344

There's new Nav data but I've not updated it yet.

lafors wrote: »
    Yeah post up a pic of it or even just rewrite the txt of it. We know what the latest software is so we can tell if you're on something different or not.

My current is this... I updated it to this when I got the car, to stop it losing it's charging settings.

Software: AE_EV.EUR.SOP.005.3.170927
    Firmware: AE_EV.EUR.0.5.222.170920.MICOM
    Nav App: STD_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.170927.a803344

There's new Nav data but I've not updated it yet.

Here’s mine:
    https://flic.kr/p/2cvjV5s

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the newest software.

I'd be doing what you're doing and bringing it back in to be checked.

BTW I was at a FCP and had to reconnect like I do sometimes, my message was the same as I usually get which is 'charger(ing?) fault'. Not the message you get about charge complete or whatever it was you posted originally.

Let us know how you get on with the dealer!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement