Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I would guess that they are bringing Mr Trumps toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Cordell wrote: »
    A https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_C-17_Globemaster_III just landed in Shannon, quite a sight to be seen and surprisingly quiet.

The second one of the day and more still to come today, tomorrow, all weekend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Worth keeping an eye on this site for the Trump visit.

https://global.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/desktop.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Cordell

The one that I saw was US Airforce and not displaying on FR24

Worth keeping an eye on this site for the Trump visit.

https://global.adsbexchange.com/Virt...r/desktop.html

Tabnabs, gave an excellent site that basically refuses to block aircraft, so you will find more there than on FR24 or Flightaware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Boeing C-17A in the air now.... crossing the country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭Cordell

Another one landed this morning. I'm still surprised by how quiet they are :)

C17 inbound Dublin due to land 1345 or so.

I'm quite amused at how "slow" they are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭PinOnTheRight

smurfjed wrote: »
    I would guess that they are bringing Mr Trumps toys.

BBC have just published this about what travels with the POTUS, quite interesting for a read

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48219557?fbclid=IwAR2eb9jv3Oxi1ySO3uj1ThgW034jRgHr1n9kcmxIl7ljrTO_lwnKp36vVPU

• Advertisement

I find it strange that they are still using a -200 aircraft as they really are obsolete, but it just goes to show how messed up the US system is when it comes to buying new equipment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I was given to believe that its a -200 airframe, the wings of the -300, the avionics of the -400 and huge equipment addtions. ie. It has inflight refuelling capability.

Procurement is a big drawn out process in the US govt. (Current F35 program was first envisioned in late 80s, delayed post Soviet collapse)
    Reagan used a B707, the B747s his congress approved were only delivered during Bush Snrs term. Replacement effort started under Obama, Trump put his ego into the matter. Apparently the last 2 B747-8i's off the production line will be the next preaidential aircraft.

Thats a standard classic cockpit..

zUFhY5y335VY2p927

https://images.app.goo.gl/zUFhY5y335VY2p927

• Registered Users Posts: 34,230 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bulletproof cockpit windows?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Why would you have such a things when surrounded by an aluminium body?

Tenger wrote: »
    I was given to believe that its a -200 airframe, the wings of the -300, the avionics of the -400 and huge equipment addtions. ie. It has inflight refuelling capability.

Procurement is a big drawn out process in the US govt. (Current F35 program was first envisioned in late 80s, delayed post Soviet collapse)
    Reagan used a B707, the B747s his congress approved were only delivered during Bush Snrs term. Replacement effort started under Obama, Trump put his ego into the matter. Apparently the last 2 B747-8i's off the production line will be the next preaidential aircraft.

The hilarious bit of the next Gen is that they are going to use two -8’s that were bound for a Russian airline, Transaero. They won’t have had the usually from day 1 security while building them, so they’ll likely have to be well stripped down to check for spy gear that only a clairvoyant would have known to put in.

If you consider that these will be triple decked aircraft, there will be nothing left from the original Transaero interior design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭john boye

With the costs of procuring the 2 frames and the massive conversion work, will they actually end up being any cheaper than ordering 2 new builds?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The same conversion work would be needed anyway - theyre just getting a cheaper donor frame

• Registered Users Posts: 34,230 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

smurfjed wrote: »
    Why would you have such a things when surrounded by an aluminium body?

Good point :) but they look heavily tinted.

For all we know there could be Kevlar lining on the cockpit and presidential suite...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

C-17 about to approach DUB looks to be heading to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭roadmaster

tricky D wrote: »
    C-17 about to approach DUB looks to be heading to Shannon.

Did a C 17 just pass over the north east by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Oi5in

pair of black hawk type heli heading north, very surprised how quiet - coast guard fairly rattles the house when they pass overhead. location north cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

roadmaster wrote: »
    Did a C 17 just pass over the north east by any chance?
    2 Hercs in a line, went over Mayo a few mins back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭roadmaster

tricky D wrote: »
    2 Hercs in a line, went over Mayo a few mins back.

I couldn’t see with the cloud cover but with noise they seamed to be flying low

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭de biz

Oi5in wrote: »
    pair of black hawk type heli heading north, very surprised how quiet - coast guard fairly rattles the house when they pass overhead. location north cork

Probably VH-60 post reassembly flight callsign Nighthawk1 routed Shannon towards Cork and back.
    Good catch!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

C-17 departed Shannon and another 1 abound to land. Must be bringing stuff over from the UK. The 1 departing is heading that way and the 1 landing has come from that way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wasn't expecting to see AF1 on flight radar, but seems that all traffic around Stansted is invisible at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

robinph wrote: »
    Wasn't expecting to see AF1 on flight radar, but seems that all traffic around Stansted is invisible at the moment.

I dont think it is a case of traffic being invisible. It is just that there is no traffic there. Any time AF1 is due to arrive you can be looking at no traffic in or out for up to 30mins before arrival and 30mins after the president leaves the airport. I'm afraid it's a case of please don't bring AF1 here for airports in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Foggy43 wrote: »
    I dont think it is a case of traffic being invisible. It is just that there is no traffic there. Any time AF1 is due to arrive you can be looking at no traffic in or out for up to 30mins before arrival and 30mins after the president leaves the airport. I'm afraid it's a case of please don't bring AF1 here for airports in the UK.

Except there was Ryanair planes taking off and landing at the time behind the news reporter waiting for AF1 to land, but was showing completely empty sky on Flight Radar which seemed odd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement