Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

me89 wrote: »
    Disappointed to lose but really happy with the performance.

I think it's time to move on from Sony, he just can't make anyone miss, hopefully Harris is healthy soon.

It was a good performance, well, for the offense. But it's a poor Seattle D, that were banged up and had an ejection early. They've given up 509 yards (25pts) and 464 yards (30pts) in their two games.

Cam played well. Jules was excellent and Byrd looks like a proper option. Harry, who had moments, needs to continue to improve as he still doesn't fight enough for extra yardage.

The D is what it is. The Hightower and Chung opt outs hurt the D, but I'm not sure they'd look that much different. When they play the better QB's, like last year, they get taken apart.

I agree on Sony and said before that we might pick up the the 5th year option, but then he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Didn't get to see the game but sounds like it was an encouraging one for the future prospects of the team, which is obviously a good thing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Didn't get to see the game but sounds like it was an encouraging one for the future prospects of the team, which is obviously a good thing.

Jules was excellent. Cam was really good (could easily have won it at the end). OL did well in pass protection. Run game was shutdown apart from Cam.
    The D had no answer for Wilson. Just about anytime the rush got to him, he evaded it. Gilmore was bullied by DK Metcalf (who we passed on for Harry). Lockett dominated anyone who tried to cover him.

I was really down on the season pre Cam. Still reckoned they would struggle. They're 1:1 which I expected. The D was really bad, but there is a glimpse of what the offense can do when you see the two totally different ways they had success in the two games so far (although Miami are bad, and the Seahawks D just bleeds yards/pts). Lots of positives about Byrd, hopefully it'll continue.

I still think we can win the division, but the Bills will be tough (even though I'm not a believer in Josh Allen).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,524 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I seen enough last night to believe we are contenders. This offense will grow as the season wears on I think and they were really good last night.
    Cam's passing game was on a different level to the Dolphins game. My big concern now is the quality of our running backs. I was a believer for longer than most in Sony Michel but he had opportunities last night which he failed to take.
    James White was a big loss.
    RIP to his dad and I hope his mother recovers. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Belichick was in very bad form in the post game press conference. He was actually needlessly rude during it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Play calling let us down a few times. That 3rd and 4th pitch toss and the goal line effort at the end stand out. Cam was doing well passing, yet we wasted so many possessions trying to force the run. You don't have to "establish the run" to play action.

We desperately need another we. I'd go hunting after Robinson or maybe one of the lads from Detroit. Jules needs some help.

Play calling let us down a few times. That 3rd and 4th pitch toss and the goal line effort at the end stand out. Cam was doing well passing, yet we wasted so many possessions trying to force the run. You don't have to "establish the run" to play action.
    The goal line call was the right call. We'd beaten them twice with it at the goal line and a few other times too.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The goal line call was the right call. We'd beaten them twice with it at the goal line and a few other times too.

Yea, but a third time in a row in the same match? The whole world knew what was going to happen. Granted the Seahawks made a great play, two of our blockers got blown up. We didn't lose any questions, there was no other option to check the defense for a moment. Better call would've been a jump over the pile or a similar play as earlier with the TD pass to the FB.

Well I think that's overthinking things. We used play that had been successful all night, they stuffed it. Kudos to them.

I presume you disagreed with all those who said that Marshawn should have got the ball in the Superbowl?

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well I think that's overthinking things. We used play that had been successful all night, they stuffed it. Kudos to them.

I presume you disagreed with all those who said that Marshawn should have got the ball in the Superbowl?

I did, different circumstances tho. We had one shot at a play, and only having one option was a mistake. Even allowing for the run being the choice, it wasn't a good play design. Cam is 6' 5, why have him start so far back? QB dive over the top, or push the pile for me. 20/20 hindsight obviously. If Edelman catches the previous pass it's all immaterial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Cam proved that he can throw. And it was great to see Edelman get downfield. We now have a bit of a deep ball to exploit when they pack the box for Cam.

Gilmore didn't seem to have a good night, and Seattles penalties gave us a bit of a leg up, but a very very positive performance and I think we will be in the mix come Jan and Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Thought they did well , a great game.

Have to say i was on the fence about Cam, but i think his legs offer a huge weapon to the team that the defense has to always been on their toes. Jules needs to stay healthy

https://twitter.com/iJordanMoore/status/1307899110608039936?s=20

Watching it back, there was a chance if Cam broke to the outside, but I think he only had eyes for the gap. Brilliant defense.

Should be a close game, but if we state our intentions here, it'll be a good season.

Cam has been awful so far, threw two balls into triple coverage and threw a horrendous pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

38 yards of offence in the 1st quarter.
    Cam still trying to force it ....

Thankfully the defense seems to on the ball once again today.

Forget what I said, they just gave up a TD in less than 30 seconds :rolleyes:

Burkhead is having a career game!

Great second half, but we need to move on from Folk fast. Just doesn't have the leg

• Advertisement

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Great second half, but we need to move on from Folk fast. Just doesn't have the leg
    Move onto who though? Is there a better option out there available?

We've played 3 games in very different ways. Against the Fins it was all Cam running, then it was all Cam throwing, then it was all the running backs. While I don't fancy our chances in KC (but we are playing tough), it's the Broncos after that. Then we play the Bills in what will be a big games that will play a factor in deciding the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Very positive rebound, aside from the pick I thought Cam did nicely...
    Good to see Harry, Byrd, Meyers getting more involved week to week

As good as Burkhead was today, Michel is finally starting to flash why he was drafted.
    He actually put his foot in the ground and made decisive cuts a few times

Defensively we've been exposed a bit the past 2 weeks, our heralded secondary is showing gaps...
    I'm not sure if they're in a slump, or of it's a case that all of the opt-outs we have in the front 7 is exposing them more.

When it comes to the big games I can see a few working out like Seattle did, where we'll put up what should be enough points to win any game, but still concede more....

BizzyC wrote: »
    I thought he was average/poor enough (esp in comparison to two really good games). The INT was terrible, I thought he got away with not having more INTs against Seattle, and he'd a number of really poor pass attempts this week and could easily have been picked a few times. He'd good pass protection and the run game dominated for him. He did pick up a good first down in the 4th quarter by running himself and did well with screen plays (but that's more on the blocking/RBs). Don't want to sound down on him, cause having Cam is a major factor in thinking we can win the division and competing in the playoffs.

BizzyC wrote: »
    Good to see Harry, Byrd, Meyers getting more involved week to week

As good as Burkhead was today, Michel is finally starting to flash why he was drafted.
    He actually put his foot in the ground and made decisive cuts a few times

Defensively we've been exposed a bit the past 2 weeks, our heralded secondary is showing gaps...
    I'm not sure if they're in a slump, or of it's a case that all of the opt-outs we have in the front 7 is exposing them more.

When it comes to the big games I can see a few working out like Seattle did, where we'll put up what should be enough points to win any game, but still concede more....

For as good a game as Sony had, he's desperately slow when he hits a gap. A top level RB should be capable of finishing a break like the ones he made, he just lacks a top gear. Similar happened in the SB at the end of the game, broke through into acres of space and was easily run down from behind. Obviously different circumstances, but I have no confidence in his speed.

For as good a game as Sony had, he's desperately slow when he hits a gap. A top level RB should be capable of finishing a break like the ones he made, he just lacks a top gear. Similar happened in the SB at the end of the game, broke through into acres of space and was easily run down from behind. Obviously different circumstances, but I have no confidence in his speed.
    Well he had the speed in college, I doubt it's gone. It might simply be that he had niggling injuries and was advised not to go at full speed or simply that his diet and training were not suitable for him.
    We'll see how he does over the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

on the michel issue he's obviously a bust given his high pick, but he's a good serviceable RB and in the right circumstances will get you past the avg 4 YPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Broncos game week 5 moved to 9.25pm Irish time. Next 3 sundays at that window

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Cam Newton has Covid, out of the Pats v Chiefs game obv.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Cam Newton has Covid, out of the Pats v Chiefs game obv.
    Sources now reporting the Chiefs players have been told the game is off.

• Advertisement

I think everybody else tested negative. I don't know if the game is off or not but probably better for us if it is. I'd much rather meet the chiefs later in the season when they're a bit banged up.

Advertisement