Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options
1181182183184185187»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's a mystery what happened with Okorafor in Pitt. Apparently he said something during a game they lost in the middle of the season and lost his starting spot over it. They couldn't trade him which was surprising too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Minnesota have traded up to acquire another first round pick. They now have 1.11 and 1.23.

It would seem like they're targeting another trade up, and our 1.03 would likely be one of the targets.

Would need a lot more than 1.11 and 1.23 for me, though.

Yeah, we can take that second year receiver off them, Addison is his name I think.

They are loaded at wide receiver, they have Jefferson, Osborn and the legendary N'Keal Harry. 😁

So Mayo had a presser the other day and said they'd listen to offers for the three pick but didn't say they were moving down. Either way the damage was done. There's no way you'll get the big offer you would hope for now because all other teams are certain you want out of the spot.

He doing a lot of stupid things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think it would be a massive mistake to trade back. By the time 11 comes around (presuming a Vikings trade), all the blue chip prospects at positions we need would be gone. We'd be giving up a chance to draft a franchise quality WR, OL, maybe QB, and for what? The opportunity to draft worse options in those positions, and likely similar next year? This is (hopefully) a once in a decade chance to draft a top 5 prospect, we would be monumentally foolish to pass that up.

• Advertisement

Well if you stay at 3 then it'd be idiotic not to draft Harrison. He's the blue chip in this draft.

All the QBs have question marks. I was all aboard the Caleb Williams is a generational talent train until this year because he struggled against the better defenses for a second season and then his performance against Notre Dame raised serious question marks. Drake Maye regressed in 2023. There's huge question marks as to whether Daniels can succeed with the way he plays in the NFL and he's very slender as well and could be destroyed by a big hit.

I'm not against a trade back but I wouldn't be accepting two firsts this year and a 3rd next year as some have sugested from the Vikings. I'd be looking for a lot more which would be those two picks this year and Jordan Addison.

The 49ers gave up three first round picks and a third to move from 12 to 3 in 2021. The Vikings have 11 and 23 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Dugger back on 4 year deal worth $58 million

That's the most critical piece of business done thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Nice to see us finally spend some money

We had four free agents that we needed to bring back. We've signed all of them, that's Dugger, Onwenu, Jennings and Uche.

Now we just have the holes to fix that we had last season.

So trade back and if they have a decent receiver on their roster try and get him and the early first with a second and get the left tackle with the early pick or vice versa. That would bring us a long way towards being relevant.

• Advertisement

I think you're severely undervaluing our 3rd overall pick.

I'd be furious if all we got in addition to swapping picks was a second and a "decent" receiver.

Oh I'd want a second with it. I'm not talking about an average receiver either. If the Vikings come calling I'd be looking for Addison, if the Falcons do I'd want London. I'm talking about game changing wide receivers. We badly need one of those.

Wrong thread twice, below as well 😂

Predictions for tonight? I'm going to be adventurous and predict that we trade back with an offer that's too good to turn down.

Looking forward to it regardless. Top 3 pick is a novelty I'm not used to!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I think we stick at #3 and draft Drake Maye. No way we draft anything other than a QB if we stick at #3. Talk of a trade down has picked up a touch lately, with the Giants at #6 and Vikings at #11 the most likely partners. If the Commanders take Maye then maybe we do trade back. Depends on how we rate the QB that falls to us…. if we think he's a franchise QB, make the pick, if not, trade back.

Giants at #6 would be my preference, it would in all likelihood allow us to pick someone like Alt or Nabers. It would just depend what the additional compensation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Coreyhotline

using the old Jimmy Johnson chart, they’d have to give us their 1st, their 2nd and their 3rd/4th depending on whether they over/under pay. I’d prefer 3 1sts (1 next year) and a second from the Vikings. Receiver position seems to have more depth than tackle this year, so would prefer to use that extra pick on the tackles on edge of first tier. Not sure which quarterback I’d take in that scenario. Alternatively, if we stick at 3 and take maye, I’m ok with that too. Again, I think next picks are tackle and wr in order. Would be great to take Harrison but not sure we’d get the benefit given qb situation (then again, maybe he pushes brissett from solid starter to above average starter). One thing that will be nice this year is not having to stay up til 4 to find out what our pick is (unless we trade).

And he'll join Blake Bortles, Sam Darnold and Trey Lance who are the three QBs taken at 3 in the last ten years.

I've no idea what's going to happen but if we stay at 3 I hope we draft Marvin Harrison jr.

My dream is we do a tough trade with the Vikings where we get they're two picks this year and look for Jefferson with them. They might be happy to do that because he's looking for a big contract in '25. We can pay him. If they say no then we tell them we want those two picks, Addison and a 3rd round pick next year. We let them fight to hold onto that third round pick and let them.

We are allowed to dream so that's mine.

Anyway I prefer Penix to the projected top four QBs in the draft. His injury history is a concern but he was injury free in Washington and continued to play injured in the national championship game in January. I think he's way ahead of the rest as far as being NFL ready and I think he has the highest ceiling.

He's rapidly moved up draft boards in the last week, now being projected to go before midway in the first round.

If we could get that deal with the Vikings then we could take Penix at 11, and a left tackle, which has then become less important in the second round and use the other first rounder on Brian Thomas jr.

The reason left tackle becomes less important is because Penix is a lefty and we've got Onwenu to protect his blindside.

• Advertisement

Watching Belichick on the McAfee show (listening to the rest of those jackasses is a small price to pay to hear the GOAT's thoughts) and he's pretty much slated all the QBs. He does not like their mechanics at all.

And I said it before him so I'm not copying him.

What channel.is McAfee on?

Another five years of misery with that pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Feel Maye is a great pick for you but WTF are the Patriots doing?

If they were planning to even potentially select a QB to develop they needed to spend money in FA to put the support around him.

Real risk of ruining what could be a very good QB due to not having a plan and contingencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I see your point, but there wasn't much available in FA at Tackle or WR. We were in for Ridley, but Titans overpaid there, and most of the Tackles were old or average. Those are the major needs right now, so hopefully they are addressed tonight. The plan seems to be to start Brissett this season and allow Maye develop behind him.

Advertisement