Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Harry gonna get a bollocking for that fumble. Still.seems a bit tentative physically

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The Newton era gets off to a pretty good winning start. When you consider how disjointed I was expecting the offence to be maybe I am overly impressed right now but there ya go! Defence came up with big plays too which is always encouraging early in the season.

First franchise in history to replace an MVP qb with another MVP qb apparently.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Alot of safe play calls which is to be expected especially with no pre season.
    Encouragingly it looks like theres more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Why was Cam fuming at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Looked pretty promising from what I saw. That said the Dolphins were still well in the game late in the 4th quarter - we left a lot of points on the field.

Strange that Josh Uche was a healthy scratch - thought he was tabbed for a sizeable role on D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Masked Man wrote: »
    Why was Cam fuming at the end?
    Think something happened after the last play that the cameras didn't pick up.
    He was all smiles just before the kneel down.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Delighted for Cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Think something happened after the last play that the cameras didn't pick up.
    He was all smiles just before the kneel down.

Yeah, I presume he felt that somebody took a cheap shot but I didn't see anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Strange that Josh Uche was a healthy scratch - thought he was tabbed for a sizeable role on D.

I read on one of the sites that it may be down to having no preseason and trying to mesh into a complex defensive scheme. I guess we’ll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Good opening performance from Cam. Missed a few reads but to be expected with no preseason and only there a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Masked Man wrote: »
    Yeah, I presume he felt that somebody took a cheap shot but I didn't see anything.

Someone tried to grab his chain apparently, and he was not too impresses.

I notice Edelman isn't in the base offence anymore, I wonder is that cos he was limited in practice recently, or is it a sign that he's getting old....?

I'd say it was to do with the game planning for that game more than anything else tbh.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Big test next week, Seahawks and Wilson were pretty sharp. I hope we see more out of the passing game, like formour TEs to get a bigger piece.

How good was Taylor(#42) when he came on? Barrelled through the line. Our run blocking looks like it could be returning to 2018 levels, which is a great sign.

Taylor had a great impact for sure.
    Lets see if he can do it against a team that's better against the run. From memory, MIA were awful last year

How is Seattle's run D? Wilson is going to test our secondary, the lack of LB is going to make containing him challenging. Hate playing against him, still have nightmares of SB49 and watching him put Collins and Nink on their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,522 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have to say I wasn't impressed at all by the offense last Sunday. Yes we got it done but we were playing a bad team.
    Newton was very poor in the passing game and I don't like it one bit. If he can't check down quicker and get rid of the ball I think we'll be in big trouble against teams with a stout run defense.

I hope he looks better this Sunday but if not I hope we move away from him quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

eagle eye wrote: »
    I have to say I wasn't impressed at all by the offense last Sunday. Yes we got it done but we were playing a bad team.
    Newton was very poor in the passing game and I don't like it one bit. If he can't check down quicker and get rid of the ball I think we'll be in big trouble against teams with a stout run defense.

I hope he looks better this Sunday but if not I hope we move away from him quickly.

Is this you trying to justify your Stidham optimism?.

Is this you trying to justify your Stidham optimism?.
    No, obviously I was wrong about Stidham if he couldn't win the job.

No, obviously I was wrong about Stidham if he couldn't win the job.

That's fair enough, but I think we need to stick with Cam. Given what was available in-house (Stidham, Hoyer) and externally (other FAs, trade targets) he gives us the best chance to win.

We saw what a pocket passer could do in this offense last year, and the answer was not very much. Our receivers just dont get seperation, there was no real threat at tight end - it was ugly. Doesn't matter how many reads or how far into his progression Brady could get, there were just no open receivers to throw it to most of the time and we looked downright awful.

At least with Cam, we have another dimension in option plays and QB runs. And on passing plays, if he doesn't see anything with his first 2 or 3 reads, then he can just take off and is a real threat to make a first down every time. And it's not like he's some college mobile QB who can't pass the ball - defenses will have to respect his passing ability and not just go all-out against the run.

I'd rather roll with the latter this year, and I'm ready to embrace us being a run-first, clock chewing offence. It suits us better with our current personnel.

When we went deep into the playoffs the season before last, it was hugely run biased. I think we have a great set to push that with Cam at QB. And I'm not his biggest fan to say the least!

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    When we went deep into the playoffs the season before last, it was hugely run biased. I think we have a great set to push that with Cam at QB. And I'm not his biggest fan to say the least!

It's a completely different team from last year. All our run blockers were injured. I have a lot of confidence that the run game will be successful this year, but we need a better passing attack. I'd love if we managed to pry Robinson away from the Bears.

At least with Cam, we have another dimension in option plays and QB runs. And on passing plays, if he doesn't see anything with his first 2 or 3 reads, then he can just take off and is a real threat to make a first down every time. And it's not like he's some college mobile QB who can't pass the ball - defenses will have to respect his passing ability and not just go all-out against the run.

You see you saying we have 'another' dimension is not true because we don't have a passing one.
    Can Newton a couple of years ago was a great player but the guy in New England has clearly regressed as a passer.
    I hope it improves because a prime Cam with our coaching would be awesome.
    If he can't get his passing game up to speed we are going to lose a lot of games.

I'd be inclined to give him more time in the offence before writing him off though. The injuries, no pre season, new offence, new playbook etc. It wasn't going to just catch fire straight away. He did some good things last week, he is obviously out best option at QB1 in house, BB rates him and he seems to have settled comfortably into a leadership role already. He isn't going to be going anywhere any time soon Id bet and other than some questionable attitude moments from him in the past (my own opinion) I am happy to see him lead the team out this season.

Well you could never question his leadership skills. He is a natural leader.

I'm just concerned, I want to see a good mix of running and passing. I think we'll struggle to win games if we aren't passing the ball well.

We played the worst team in the NFL in week 1 imo, I'm not going to get excited over a win there and I was unimpressed with Cam's performance.

Well you could never question his leadership skills. He is a natural leader.

I'm just concerned, I want to see a good mix of running and passing. I think we'll struggle to win games if we aren't passing the ball well.

We played the worst team in the NFL in week 1 imo, I'm not going to get excited over a win there and I was unimpressed with Cam's performance.

We still have the same fundamental issue as last year, sub par receivers who can't get separation. Hoping the TEs can make a difference. Harry continues to unimpress, he's noticeably lacking in physicality for someone of his size

We have a possibility of winning this game on the final drive which is ongoing now.

I just felt I should post this in advance of what happens because it doesn't matter the result I have been very impressed by Cam tonight. I feel confident that we'll play in the postseason at the end of this season.

Poor clock management at the end. Let 10 seconds or so run off the clock for no reason before the Harry catch. Would have had another attempt or two had a timeout been called.

Valiant attempt but bottled the clock.

So we lost but we played great on offense for the most part. Cam was excellent apart from the pick, Julian was immense.
    We almost completed the comeback and imo it was the right play call on the final play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Disappointed to lose but really happy with the performance.

I think it's time to move on from Sony, he just can't make anyone miss, hopefully Harris is healthy soon.

• Advertisement

me89 wrote:
    I think it's time to move on from Sony, he just can't make anyone miss, hopefully Harris is healthy soon.
    It's looking that way for sure unfortunately.
    There's some good ones out there unsigned like Devonta Freeman and Spencer Ware.

Advertisement