Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Christy42

golfer555 wrote: »
    I know nothing about American Football but big rugby man. Can I ask how good is Nate Enber in the NFL? The Olympics, World Rugby and USA Rugby are making a massive deal about his inclusion. I didn't initially think he was going to make as the USA team as they are a solid medal contention team with a settled squad.

I see he signed a $2.4million dollar 2 year contract with the Patriots back in May. It's a lot of money but I thought it was small fry for an American footballer? Could be totally off there and apologies if so.

It is the importance of the skill set he has changes a lot. Special teams is not the most important thing in American Football (though still important).

On the other hand offense and defense are so structured that you would never get the space available on a sevens field. I have no idea how good he is at 7s but I know he will be better than a lot of the top name nfl players like Brady or Von Miller who have very different skill sets.
    In effect the sports are different enough that you can be a quality player in one without maybe hitting the top money positions in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,808 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

golfer555 wrote: »
    I know nothing about American Football but big rugby man. Can I ask how good is Nate Enber in the NFL? The Olympics, World Rugby and USA Rugby are making a massive deal about his inclusion. I didn't initially think he was going to make as the USA team as they are a solid medal contention team with a settled squad.

I see he signed a $2.4million dollar 2 year contract with the Patriots back in May. It's a lot of money but I thought it was small fry for an American footballer? Could be totally off there and apologies if so.
    I've been watching the sevens for most of the last two years due to it's inclusion in the Olympics.

Ebner's talents are well suited to sevens, he has excellent speed and is very strong for his size. He has the ability to run powerfully and he is an excellent tackler, once he gets a hand on you it's game over. He reads the game very well too.

He played underage Rugby for USA before he went to college and played for the USA sevens team back then too. He played sevens at Ohio State university along with American Football.

He had a big impact for USA when he played over the last couple of months. The team looked more organised when he was on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

eagle eye wrote: »
    By any mathematical barometric Tom Brady is over 90% innocent of anything to do with deflating footballs and he is going to serve a suspension for it.

How on earth you think that the Supreme Court shouldn't waste their time on this is beyond me. What has transpired is so wrong and it shouldn't be let happen again to anybody ever.

You're getting caught up on Brady's innocence.
    The Supreme court don't care, they don't have an opinion as to why he was banned.

The only question is if the CBA gives Goodell sufficient power to do so.

BizzyC wrote: »
    You're getting caught up on Brady's innocence.
    The Supreme court don't care, they don't have an opinion as to why he was banned.

The only question is if the CBA gives Goodell sufficient power to do so.
    I'm not getting caught up. My thoughts on Brady's case are just a lead up to what I'm saying.

This should never be allowed to happen to anybody ever again. Goodell should not have this power, it's clearly lead to him becoming corrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

There have been cries that in the past Goodell let players get away with abuses against women, crimes, drugs, and teams cheating. So Goodell starts to do something about it and shows it doesn’t matter how high and mighty you are to suffer the consequences. And now he’s the bad guy? Good for him as long as it's not my team that's affected?

• Advertisement

Amerika wrote: »
    There have been cries that in the past Goodell let players get away with abuses against women, crimes, drugs, and teams cheating. So Goodell starts to do something about it and shows it doesn’t matter how high and mighty you are to suffer the consequences. And now he’s the bad guy? Good for him as long as it's not my team that's affected?
    A bit of advice, go and read about the subject before you spout off uneducated nonsense which is what you just did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'm not getting caught up. My thoughts on Brady's case are just a lead up to what I'm saying.

This should never be allowed to happen to anybody ever again. Goodell should not have this power, it's clearly lead to him becoming corrupt.

Goodell was given the power by the players representatives, they cant move the goal posts of what he should/shouldn’t be able to do now that he made a decision they don’t think is fair.

It’s like in a game; both teams agree to have officials who are given the power to make final judgments during the game. If he makes a decision you don’t like you can’t suddenly claim afterwards that the ref overreached on his powers, when you agreed at the start that he would have the final say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Amerika wrote: »

You could argue that, but you'd be ignoring the fact that it's been widely proven that the case against the Patriots was flawed, not going to get into that now though.

Right now Goodell has basically gotten to suspend Brady, not because of any evidence or ability to show wrongdoing, but "because he can" according to the CBA which is a really crap precedent to set - hence the NFLPA anger.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Goodell was given the power by the players representatives, they cant move the goal posts of what he should/shouldn’t be able to do now that he made a decision they don’t think is fair.

It’s like in a game; both teams agree to have officials who are given the power to make final judgments during the game. If he makes a decision you don’t like you can’t suddenly claim afterwards that the ref overreached on his powers, when you agreed at the start that he would have the final say.
    No, it's nothing like that. It's an abuse of power, it's corrupt, it was deliberate too.

And what I'm talking about is the future while you are talking about the past. I just want this power taken away from Goodell because it's clear he is going to abuse it. I just don't want this to happen to anybody ever in the future.

A bit of advice, go and read about the subject before you spout off uneducated nonsense which is what you just did.

I lived it... ad nauseum. Anybody ever find Brady’s cellphone, or is it still at the bottom of the River Charles?

• Advertisement

No, it's nothing like that. It's an abuse of power, it's corrupt, it was deliberate too.

And what I'm talking about is the future while you are talking about the past. I just want this power taken away from Goodell because it's clear he is going to abuse it. I just don't want this to happen to anybody ever in the future.
    I agree with you that the power to levy fines, sanctions, and penalties should go into the hands of an independent arbitrator. And I believe Goodell would rather it be changed, also. But he needs something to give up in the next CBA contract talks.

It is exactly like that. An agreement was made to put someone in charge of adjudicating and only now that a decision was made that a group doesn’t agree with there’s expectations that the highest court in America should take the case.

You’re very much talking about the past, your posts stink of bitterness. Only yesterday you had hopes that a boycott would cause Goodell to apologise.

The power will be taken away from Goodell at the next CBA, though I expect the first big name player/team/fans that face independent adjudication and receive a harsher penalty than Goodell would have given will be up in arms about it. There’s a reason why the NFLPA were more than happy to have Goodell the powers he has, it worked out well for players/teams for years.

As a matter of curiosity, what is the corruption?

I mean, I know Pats fans, and indeed others claim he got it wrong.

But...corruption?

But...corruption?
    I see you in the thread, I immediately think here comes a Patriots hater, and there is no point trying to have a conversation with you.

I've said my bit and I'm not getting into it anymore than I already have with you because it's just pointless.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    It is exactly like that. An agreement was made to put someone in charge of adjudicating and only now that a decision was made that a group doesn’t agree with there’s expectations that the highest court in America should take the case.

You’re very much talking about the past, your posts stink of bitterness. Only yesterday you had hopes that a boycott would cause Goodell to apologise.

The power will be taken away from Goodell at the next CBA, though I expect the first big name player/team/fans that face independent adjudication and receive a harsher penalty than Goodell would have given will be up in arms about it. There’s a reason why the NFLPA were more than happy to have Goodell the powers he has, it worked out well for players/teams for years.
    Again,

I'm talking about the future and trying to avoid any other player going through this unfair process. If you don't understand that then this conversation is pointless.

You seem to be trying to get me to argue about the Brady suspension but I'm not going to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

But...corruption?
    • Goodell lying in court
    • Purposely leaking misinformation to the media make Brady/Pats look bad and refusing to correct it
    • Using a corrupt science company for hire, who were paid to say 2nd smoke isn't bad for you in court before and have them use poxy, incorrect science to say the PSI in the balls was unnatural while every other scientist in world said the PSI was explainable under gas law
    • The NFL editing the already "independent" Wells Report before it was released to the public
    • There is so much more that i'm getting tired of typing...

Again,

I'm talking about the future and trying to avoid any other player going through this unfair process. If you don't understand that then this conversation is pointless.

You seem to be trying to get me to argue about the Brady suspension but I'm not going to do that.

It’s an ‘unfair’ process the NFLPA agreed to. They had no issues with the process when players were receiving slaps on the wrist for serious issues, both on and off the field, just because the tables are turned it’s now suddenly an unfair process.

The NFLPA are doing their job but, like any union, they’re only in it for their members. If they had their way players wouldn’t receive bans for anything they did on or off the field.

The NFLPA are going to have to give up things if they want this changed, the owners will be loving Goodell for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Can we maybe park the deflategate stuff or discuss it in the deflategate thread. It's beyond tiresome now.

I'll be watching the first four games and i dont think anyone will be kept away from the NFL because of it. The season is short enough!

TEASER FOR YOU

Ok, so Jimmy goes out. Wins the four games convincingly and plays out of his skin. Public opinion sways a bit. Brady comes back in game 5 and looks sluggish.

What do you do....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

BKWDR wrote: »
    Can we maybe park the deflategate stuff or discuss it in the deflategate thread. It's beyond tiresome now.

I'll be watching the first four games and i dont think anyone will be kept away from the NFL because of it. The season is short enough!

TEASER FOR YOU

Ok, so Jimmy goes out. Wins the four games convincingly and plays out of his skin. Public opinion sways a bit. Brady comes back in game 5 and looks sluggish.

What do you do....

there was a discussion on this exact question on PFW last week. The consensus seemed to be that Brady would be given the season regardless that his body of work would be enough to maintain the benefit of doubt so to speak. And I'd agree with that too. It's not Jimmys time yet, regardless of how both play. Come the end of the season, if the scenario above plays out like that, thats when questions will be asked.

TEASER FOR YOU

What do you do....

Belichek won'the rule out Brady from a single bad game. To do so would be stupid, especially coming off a season were Brady was incredible.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=belichick+laughing+gif&oq=bellichek+laughing+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l2.4849j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=AjrObIzLqDrppM%3A Will be the reaction if the media brings it up.

Only if Brady is obviously slowing in training as well would it be a serious question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Christy42 wrote: »
    Belichek won'the rule out Brady from a single bad game. To do so would be stupid, especially coming off a season were Brady was incredible.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=belichick+laughing+gif&oq=bellichek+laughing+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l2.4849j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=AjrObIzLqDrppM%3A Will be the reaction if the media brings it up.

Only if Brady is obviously slowing in training as well would it be a serious question.

What if Jimmy wins 4, Brady starts, we go to 4-3 and it doesn't look like we're having a post-kansas-brady-phase.....

What if Jimmy wins 4, Brady starts, we go to 4-3 and it doesn't look like we're having a post-kansas-brady-phase.....

As I said. Only if Brady is slowing a lot in training. It didn't look like you would have a post Kansas phase just after that Kansas match either.

If Garropolo goes out there in the first four games and plays to the level that Brady has been playing at then Tom is going to have to sit on the bench until Jimmy makes a mess of it.

People, the media too, are underestimating just how ruthless Bill Belichick is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

TEASER FOR YOU

What do you do....

Trade another back up QB to the Texans for picks next year most likely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

If Garropolo goes out there in the first four games and plays to the level that Brady has been playing at then Tom is going to have to sit on the bench until Jimmy makes a mess of it.

People, the media too, are underestimating just how ruthless Bill Belichick is.

If Jimmy throws ten TD's no picks and is 4-0 in the first four games, there is still no way in hell that Brady does not come straight back in for game 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I think people are being way over confident in Jimmy G. He's basically a complete unkown. I think its more of a possibility of us going 1-3 than 3-1 in the first 4 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ben98

If Jimmy G has a rough start, can anyone see Jacoby being brought in to replace him until Brady returns?

bruschi wrote: »
    If Jimmy throws ten TD's no picks and is 4-0 in the first four games, there is still no way in hell that Brady does not come straight back in for game 5.
    Again, you really are underestimating just how ruthless BB is. Look what he did with Bledsoe
    Hazys wrote: »
    I think people are being way over confident in Jimmy G. He's basically a complete unkown. I think its more of a possibility of us going 1-3 than 3-1 in the first 4 games.
    I'm certainly not very confident but the truth is you just never know until a guy gets a couple of starts and Jimmy G is one of the lucky ones who is going to get that opportunity.
    ben98 wrote: »
    If Jimmy G has a rough start, can anyone see Jacoby being brought in to replace him until Brady returns?
    If Jimmy G shows nothing in the first game he'll get another half I'd imagine and get pulled if things don't improve.

Again, you really are underestimating just how ruthless BB is. Look what he did with Bledsoe

I'm certainly not very confident but the truth is you just never know until a guy gets a couple of starts and Jimmy G is one of the lucky ones who is going to get that opportunity.

If Jimmy G shows nothing in the first game he'll get another half I'd imagine and get pulled if things don't improve.

They have training that BB judges stuff on. It won't be all game time which is all the media judges on. Also Brady >> Bledsoe.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    They have training that BB judges stuff on. It won't be all game time which is all the media judges on. Also Brady >> Bledsoe.
    Of course Brady is better than Bledsoe but when he first came into the Patriots and we seen him in preseason he really didn't look good. He got his opportunity when Bledsoe got injured and grabbed it by the horns and never looked back.

Advertisement