Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,807 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Gronk on the cover of Madden 17. All the lad needs is to have a curse on him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

oooh interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Does he have any legs left?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,080 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Managed correctly he could be a very good one year pick up imho.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

If he can show he is healthy then there are a good few teams who might be interested. Dolphins, bears, chargers with Gordons knee issue

• Registered Users Posts: 14,080 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Haven't seen it mentioned in here but just FYI Brady has officially lodged his appeal

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Seems fairly low chance that it will be heard, from what I've read. If nothing else, maybe he can tie up the process in appeals until after the season has run its course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Seems fairly low chance that it will be heard, from what I've read. If nothing else, maybe he can tie up the process in appeals until after the season has run its course.

I think thats what the reasoning behind it is. If the appeal is lodged and there isn't enough notice given without the appeal being heard he gets to play the 4 games. Really kicking it down the road , you would hope that this wouldn't backfire come December / January....

• Advertisement

I've read a lot of stuff about it and there seems to be a fair chance they will hear it.

The two main reaons that give it merit are that it affects all CBA's and not just the NFL one, and the Chief Justice voted in favour of Brady with the other two voting for the NFL, having the Chief Justice in your favour makes it more likely that an appeal will be heard.

Well folks it's all done and dusted. I'm disgusted by what has happened and I really don't have it in me right now to even watch an NFL game.

I might be back for week 5 but I won't watch a game or do anything that might benefit the NFL for the first four weeks. Somebody has to pay a price for this and I think by staying away for four weeks and hope that many others do the same that the NFL lose money and Goodell is the ultimate loser if that happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well folks it's all done and dusted. I'm disgusted by what has happened and I really don't have it in me right now to even watch an NFL game.

I might be back for week 5 but I won't watch a game or do anything that might benefit the NFL for the first four weeks. Somebody has to pay a price for this and I think by staying away for four weeks and hope that many others do the same that the NFL lose money and Goodell is the ultimate loser if that happens.

so the 53 other players on the roster wont get your support? What have they done to be treated so miserably?

I get you're pi$$ed off, you're not the only one, but the team is still the team. How is giving up on supporting the team going to affect the NFL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

He'll change his mind. He was gung-ho on booing Bob Kraft this time last year and relented in the end. He's just emotional right now ;)

bruschi wrote: »
    so the 53 other players on the roster wont get your support? What have they done to be treated so miserably?

I get you're pi$$ed off, you're not the only one, but the team is still the team. How is giving up on supporting the team going to affect the NFL?

This about the NFL and by continuing supporting the team like nothing has happened it means that Roger Goodell can do whatever he wants.

If a big enough number stay away and contact the sponsors and tell them that Roger Goodell and what has happened with Tom Brady are the reasons they are staying away then the owners won't be long getting on his back about it.

What's to stop Roger Goodell from jumping on the Patriots again when they are going well and drag them through another controversy if we don't make a stand?

I know the Patriots are a great organisation but this stuff has idiots who watch a little bit of football coming up to me saying that Tom Brady is a cheat and the Patriots are cheats. Roger Goodell has got his way and has tarnished the name of the Patriots.

I just cannot bear the thought of turning on the tv in the first four weeks and seeing his face at a Patriots game. And you can be sure he is going to turn up at one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

You can boycott the NFL if you want in protest...

I personally will be supporting the team and hoping they can make a statement to the NFL by going 4-0 and making sure the team comes away from the Brady suspension stronger then ever.

BizzyC wrote: »

I personally will be supporting the team and hoping they can make a statement to the NFL by going 4-0 and making sure the team comes away from the Brady suspension stronger then ever.
    If we did stand together and push the issue anything is possible up to and including an apology from Goodell.

If you don't care that the team has been branded cheats by the NFL then you go watch them. I care too much about that and I have to make a stand as much as it hurts. I just cannot carry on as if nothing has happened.

I have no defense when somebody calls the team cheats. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

BizzyC wrote: »

I'll be in University of Arizona Stadium on week 1 to support the team!

If we did stand together and push the issue anything is possible up to and including an apology from Goodell.

If you don't care that the team has been branded cheats by the NFL then you go watch them. I care too much about that and I have to make a stand as much as it hurts. I just cannot carry on as if nothing has happened.

I have no defense when somebody calls the team cheats. :(

if you are going to let people who watch very little football or people who call them cheats get to you, then I'm not surprised you will be taking this stance. Apart from anything, the Patriots deserve to be called cheats. We can talk about technicalities about spygate or the inconclusive evidence about the deflategate, but there is no doubt the Patriots push the lines of regulation that sometimes goes past that.

But that goes for every team. Pretty much every team going has had something against them for cheating or pushing boundaries of legalities. And it happens in all sports. The reason it gets magnified is when it's a successful team doing it.

So if someone comes up to me and calls the Patriots cheats, I'll just shrug and ask what are their team doing to try win. Who cares really? Everyone if they really got into knows that the offences branded against them are completely minor and insignificant, but get blown up because of their success. I'm not going to get into arguments with idiots who dont know what they are talking about.

I'd prefer to be labelled a cheat and have success than to be of a team who are bigger cheats but way off contention. Who cares what other people say, the team is really the only thing I care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

It ain’t over, folks. Brady has authorized the NFLPA to continue the appeal. Even if successful it won’t stop him from missing the first four games, and the only thing it would net him is his lost pay.

And the Patriots got a gift in scheduling for Brady’s suspension. Three home games, and the three games against AFC teams (Miami, Houston and Buffalo) have a combined record in 2015 of 23-25.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/7/18/12211290/patriots-qb-tom-brady-has-authorized-nflpa-to-appeal-to-supreme-court

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Nate Ebner has made the US Olympic Rugby 7's team, fantastic achievement.

Hazys wrote: »
    Nate Ebner has made the US Olympic Rugby 7's team, fantastic achievement.

Saw that there alright, delighted for him. Glad he has been given the chance to do it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

If he didn't make the team he would have rejoined the Pats right away but i presume he will be placed on the PUP list once he comes back and be ready for Week 6.

I don't think missing training camp for a special teams only veteran player will be a major set back for him, the only risk for him is if the Pats find a special teams player just as good as him but for cheaper but I'm sure he was aware of the risks before he tried out.

But anyway, i'll be cheering for the USA Rugby 7s team at the Olympics, they have an outside chance of a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Amerika wrote: »
    It ain’t over, folks. Brady has authorized the NFLPA to continue the appeal. Even if successful it won’t stop him from missing the first four games, and the only thing it would net him is his lost pay.

And the Patriots got a gift in scheduling for Brady’s suspension. Three home games, and the three games against AFC teams (Miami, Houston and Buffalo) have a combined record in 2015 of 23-25.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/7/18/12211290/patriots-qb-tom-brady-has-authorized-nflpa-to-appeal-to-supreme-court

The other way to look at is that we could be in a right hole if we lose a couple of those Division games, say we go 1-3 through those first 4 games, and 1-2 against the AFC East teams, then it's far from an easy road back for a Brady who has been away from the building for a month.

As disgusted as I am by this situation, I am looking forward to seeing Jimmy play. We've had glimpses in the past, but these will be real games, with the starters, not to mention two tough Divisional rivals, who will be going all out trying to capitalise on Brady's absence. Should be a great test of Bill and the team.

I'm just after reading about that now. It means I don't have to do anything just yet.

I understand now that Brady is taking the suspension to save it happening later in the season, maybe even playoff time, and I fully understand that.

I just hope that the Supreme Court takes the case and we win because I'll be just disillusioned if nothing changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I'm just after reading about that now. It means I don't have to do anything just yet.

I understand now that Brady is taking the suspension to save it happening later in the season, maybe even playoff time, and I fully understand that.

I just hope that the Supreme Court takes the case and we win because I'll be just disillusioned if nothing changes.

The suspension should have taken place the first four games of last season, then perhaps my Jets would have gotten into the playoffs. :mad: The NFLPA gave this power to Goodell in the last collective bargaining agreement. Why can’t players seem to be unable to live up to their end of agreements in the NFL these days? I’m sure we will see discipline turned over to an independent party in the next CBA, but that is a few years away. I hope the Supreme Court refuses to waste their time with this stuff.

The suspension should have taken place the first four games of last season, then perhaps my Jets would have gotten into the playoffs. :mad: The NFLPA gave this power to Goodell in the last collective bargaining agreement. Why can’t players seem to be unable to live up to their end of agreements in the NFL these days? I’m sure we will see discipline turned over to an independent party in the next CBA, but that is a few years away. I hope the Supreme Court refuses to waste their time with this stuff.
    By any mathematical barometric Tom Brady is over 90% innocent of anything to do with deflating footballs and he is going to serve a suspension for it.

How on earth you think that the Supreme Court shouldn't waste their time on this is beyond me. What has transpired is so wrong and it shouldn't be let happen again to anybody ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

I know nothing about American Football but big rugby man. Can I ask how good is Nate Enber in the NFL? The Olympics, World Rugby and USA Rugby are making a massive deal about his inclusion. I didn't initially think he was going to make as the USA team as they are a solid medal contention team with a settled squad.

I see he signed a $2.4million dollar 2 year contract with the Patriots back in May. It's a lot of money but I thought it was small fry for an American footballer? Could be totally off there and apologies if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

golfer555 wrote: »
    I know nothing about American Football but big rugby man. Can I ask how good is Nate Enber in the NFL? The Olympics, World Rugby and USA Rugby are making a massive deal about his inclusion. I didn't initially think he was going to make as the USA team as they are a solid medal contention team with a settled squad.

I see he signed a $2.4million dollar 2 year contract with the Patriots back in May. It's a lot of money but I thought it was small fry for an American footballer? Could be totally off there and apologies if so.
    Yeah that's small money in NFL standard, certainly not star-money. Although NFL players aren't paid as well as Baseball or basketballers you hear about. They have a "minimum wage" structure in NFL for non-rookies which he would have been eligible for which would have been $1.2m, so if he's got $2.4m it's likely the minimum (or slightly more) plus incentives.

As a player, he's playing with one of the top 5 teams, but hasn't really established himself on the first team (he plays "special teams" but I won't get into that). He's basically the first sub defender on a good team.

Advertisement