Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The rules around snotty comments have been made clear.

Short bans have been issued given its coming up to draft day.

They will be longer next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

---Quote (Originally by JCTO)---
    A few people booed him and then there is those who now hate him. And there still is a large contingent who now don't like him and try convince others they shouldn't either.

I never got the whole not watching a sport because of decisions made. Bullsh1t aside its still football and still is fun to watch.

The CBA is a joke and the NFL authority are a bunch of jokers and Brady probably could have handled the whole thing slightly better but I will still watch with or without Tom Brady.
    ---End Quote---
    (Originally by Eagle Eye)

He wasn't booed at the season opener last season and it was a good day. The only thing that came up about this was the chant 'Where is Roger' because he wasn't there and rightly so.

There are a few people that haven't gotten over him accepting the punishment and they have the right to be like that if they wish.

It's a bit like the God thing. I don't believe but I've nothing against anybody that does and I don't mind them talking about their belief as long as they are not trying to tell me that my beliefs are wrong. The worse person is the person who hates the religious guy and keeps spouting off about how much they detest him simply because he believes in and loves his God.

The worst people for me in this scenario are the ones who bring up that people might hate somebody. It's their business and unless they are telling you that you are wrong to like the guy then why even bother discussing it?"

Ok I removed the parts that got us both banned. And for the record it wasn't a jibe at Corvus so you assumed wrong on that one.

But what I posted was my opinion. I wasn't telling people what they should or shouldn't do. I also wasn't telling people what they should or shouldn't believe.

I also never said their beliefs were wrong. In the past I have gven my say on Kraft and his decision but not once said anyone was wrong to believe otherwise. I also never said it can't be discussed.

But what I did say is that others have tried to convince us we should hate Kraft. I wasn't being exclusive to Boards with my comments either.

What I don't get is the angle of your response when none of it is true in what you quoted or what I have ever previously said on the matter.

If I get a ban for this post so be it but I wont have someone attack my post and base their response on things I never said. But hey it is what it is. EE I suggest if you don't like my posts report them or ignore me at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,806 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This whole thing has me really annoyed.

I'm going to miss the first round of the draft for the first time since I can't remember. It's a principle thing as far as I'm concerned. The NFL do not deserve me being added to their viewership figures. As a matter of fact I'm so sick over this I am thinking of giving the draft a complete miss.

I'm now considering not watching the first four games of the season.

I love the Patriots and was a fan long before Tom Brady arrived on the scene but again this is a matter of principle as far as I'm concerned. This lying, cheating agenda driven commissioner has just pushed me to this and maybe beyond because as much as I love the Patriots I have a growing hate for the NFL hierarchy and for me the only way fans can change things is to stop watching and spending money on the NFL.

It's come to the stage now where I think I'd be more tempted to watch a high school game than an NFL game.

If I was Tom Brady I'd retire rather than take that four game ban. It's clear to me that he did nothing wrong and my pride would prevent me from accepting a ban for something I didn't do. I have a feeling Brady has similar thoughts to that even though he would be losing out on millions of dollars if he did retire.

Anyways that is his decision to make and it won't have any bearing either way on how I feel about the NFL right now. I hate this so, so much and I just want it to be over but if Brady does serve a ban then it'll never be over for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I completely understand the sentiment EE. I'm irrationally angry about how unfair and corrupt it is. The ruling on Tuesday had me fuming and i had to go straight into meetings for nearly the entire 2nd half of the day and i couldn't concentrate, i was basically mumbling "Goodell is a cnut" to myself over and over the entire afternoon while co-workers blabbed on about stuff that should have been important to me.

The only way the NFL will learn is if people stop watching but I think Bill Burr said it best "Rodger Goodell could come out at halftime of the SuperBowl and punt a baby across the field, and i'd still watch the second half." I'd love to be able to not watch the NFL and cost them money but i know i'm just a drop in the ocean to them and i'd literally make no impact to their bottom line so that makes it harder. When the season starts i'd love to tell myself i'm going to not watch the 1st 4 games out of principle but I know i'll be itching to see how Jimmy G and the rest of the team rallys without Tom. Fcuk i wish i could do it.

Recently they have shown they can mismanage so much and be blatantly corrupt is so many aspects (Player punishments, concussions aren't bad for you retric, rob millions for the players and so on) and still grow but I believe there will be a time where NFL won't be the top dawg in US sports, it wasn't always and they'll be forced to clean up their act but until then, the NFL have us bent over a barrel.

Per Christopher Price the NFL draft tv ratings were down on last year. Average was 4.7 across the US, down from 5.1 last year. Boston had a 1.5 rating which placed it last among all metered areas. Clearly I wasn't the only one that refused to tune in last night.
    That's a nice kick in the ass for the NFL. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

eagle eye wrote: »
    Per Christopher Price the NFL draft tv ratings were down on last year. Average was 4.7 across the US, down from 5.1 last year. Boston had a 1.5 rating which placed it last among all metered areas. Clearly I wasn't the only one that refused to tune in last night.

To be fair, it's pretty logical to presume Boston would have the lowest rating when the team they support doesn't have a pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Yeah I'd like to see similar statistics for other years where teams of single-team states had no first round pick before proclaiming this "Patriot solidarity".

We talked about that here in the office and most didn't watch simply because we had no pick and not because they were refusing to. In fact I don't think there was anyone I talked to that said they were refusing to watch.

Celtics were playing in the playoffs at the same time and got thrashed

Kevin Faulk is a legend, and he added to it tonight coming out to announce the Patriots pick in a no.12 jersey and adding Tom Brady's name to 'the New England Patriots select'

• Advertisement

I was delighted with our first pick last night. I think Cyrus Jones is going to be a really good one, he is what I'd call a football player and I think he is going to make a big impact with the Patriots.

I really don't know anything about Joe Thuney but we certainly needed to add a guard. It's a real Belichick type pick because he has played multiple positions across the line in his college career.

The shocker was to see us spending a third round pick on a QB. Jacoby Brissett certainly has the tools to become an NFL starter in time and he might turn out to be a great pick but the media coming out saying this is because of Brady's suspension are barking up the wrong tree imo.

The Patriots could have taken somebody in the sixth or seventh round as a gamble to serve as backup for those first four weeks. When we spend a third round pick on a QB, in a year where we had no first rounder, it's about a lot more than just making sure we have a backup I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It was a consensus poor draft with the 1 and 2 picks wrapped up, and nobody of the stature of Winston to carry it. Last year you had a mental storyline going in of the Eagles trying to trade the house for Mariota, whether the Titans would stay put, where Gurley would go etc. I'd say the amount of fans who abstained from watching this year in order to "stick it to the man" are slim to verging in on nonexistant

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    It was a consensus poor draft with the 1 and 2 picks wrapped up, and nobody of the stature of Winston to carry it. Last year you had a mental storyline going in of the Eagles trying to trade the house for Mariota, whether the Titans would stay put, where Gurley would go etc. I'd say the amount of fans who abstained from watching this year in order to "stick it to the man" are slim to verging in on nonexistant
    I'm not saying that a big proportion of the fans did if for that reason. I'm just delighted that there was a nice reduction in the amount of people watching it because it's a negative for the NFL and as a result a negative result for him.

I'm not saying that a big proportion of the fans did if for that reason. I'm just delighted that there was a nice reduction in the amount of people watching it because it's a negative for the NFL and as a result a negative result for him.

How is it negative for the NFL though? Also TV numbers are not a true reflection of those watching anyways. In the US they don't account for those streaming TV and they also will never know how many are using unofficial streams. I am sure they knew with the Patriots not having a first round pick and the Red Sox and Celtics playing on Thursday it was going to be down. As I said in a previous post you have 5 states in New England that would follow the Pats compared to 1 maybe 2 states for other teams and this excludes international viewing.

I like that Bill went and grabbed the guy they wanted in Brissett. Sure they could have tried to wait until the 6th or 7th but would he have still been there? Cook is prime example how this draft has gone. Teams grabbing QBs are getting guys they want rather than drafting aimlessly at the supposed best guys.

Also one interesting point with Brissett is that he learned under Charlie Weiss for a season and is very good friends with Bill Parcells. Good article here:
    FOXBORO — The Patriots took N.C. State quarterback Jacoby Brissett in the third-round with pick No. 91.

The 6-foot-4, 231-pounder said he didn’t know the team would select him until he got a phone call prior to the pick.

“I had a great visit when I was up there with those guys a couple of weeks ago and I’m just overjoyed and excited about the opportunity to learn from the Patriots — Bill Belichick, Josh McDaniels and Tom Brady,” Brissett said on a conference call after the selection. “When I got my call it was crazy.”

Brissett said Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft spoke to him over the phone.

He has two connections to the Patriots and their staff in relationships with Charlie Weis and Bill Parcells. Weis recruited Brissett in his one year as Florida’s offensive coordinator in 2011.

Brissett later transferred to N.C. State.

“I think it was tremendous,” Brissett said. “Some of the stuff that the Patriots do now, kind of gave me a little familiarity with some of the stuff when I went up there. … I think he was instrumental to my learning curve in college and I definitely carry a lot of things he instilled in me at Florida.”

He’s also become close to Parcells over the years as Parcells has a house near his high school — William T. Dwyer High School in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. Brissett has stayed close with Parcells and said he “can’t thank him enough” for all that he’s done for him.

“It started in high school,” Brissett said. “He has a house out here and he comes around my high school a lot — knows my high school coach Jack Daniels, a real good friend. I got the pleasure to meet him and I can’t even describe what type of person he is and how he benefits my life. Just help growing me as a man and preparing me for tough times, hard times, good times. He’s been so helpful to me throughout this process and keeping me steady and with a good head on my shoulders. I can’t thank him enough.”

Director of player personnel Nick Caserio acknowledged the two connections and while they weren’t the only reason in selecting him, they certainly didn’t hurt.

On the Brady suspension thing though it does seem like from a lot of sources before Brady's suspension was upheld that the Patriots were planning to trade Jimmy and then go get a guy that would eventually replace Brady. Brissett seems to be that guy at this point. Jimmy will most likely be traded at some point after he plays those 4 games especially if he does well.

I have watched Brissett a few times the last couple of seasons by chance more than anything and with the right coaching and team it is possible he might turn into a very good starting NFL QB. He is also apparently a smart kid and reads the game well. I hope it all works out for everybody involved and as much as I like Jimmy G I dont see him being our long term replacement for Brady.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Is Jimmy not seen as the replacement for Brady when he retires?

Is Jimmy not seen as the replacement for Brady when he retires?

From all the recent reports it doesn't seem like that now. There was a lot of talk of the Pats using him as trade bait before the draft then Bradys suspension gets upheld so the Patriots are now going to have to role with Jimmy for the first 4.

How true that is no one knows. Obviously with the Pats its always hard to tell what their plans are.

Also now we took Brissett in the 3rd round that would suggest if he works out well in Camp that he will most likely be the long term option. You figure if Brady plays another two seasons that will leave Jimmy in the league at 5 years as a backup. If he plays and does well in these first 4 games I can't see him wanting to stick around either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Pats take a WR in Georgia's Malcolm Mitchell. Apparently was once considered a top 10 prospect but had an ACL injury in 2012 so had a truncated college career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

We've signed DJ Foster as an UDFA.

He was great for Arizona State. Was a top running back who converted to WR for his senior year. In the same mould as Dion Lewis and James White, but better as a runner on 1st/2nd downs. I'd have high hopes for him if he makes it through training camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

I'm really surprised we didn't draft a quality power back who can do damage in the redzone and during a short yardage downs. Blount is all we have and he's limited. If he gets into space he's effective, but we need a power back who can routinely force those holes in a defense. It's the kind of back you need during the playoffs and we're lacking that right now.

• Advertisement

There was no power backs worth wasting picks on.

Here is a list of all UDFA signings and invites so far for the Patriots.

Steven Scheu TE Vanderbilt
    DJ Foster RB/WR Arizona State
    V’Angelo Bentley CB Illinois
    Cre’Von LeBlanc CB Florida Atlantic
    CJ Johnson LB Mississippi State
    Jonathan Jones CB Auburn
    De’Runnya Wilson TE/WR Ole Miss
    Woodrow Hamilton DT Ole Miss
    Devante Burns CB Texas A&M
    Shaquille Powell RB Duke (tryout)
    Kris Frost LB Auburn (Mini-Camp Invite)
    Josh Garrett LB Auburn (Mini-Camp Invite)

Wilson is a very interesting one, he is a very big target and will get you td's but he has a lot to learn about the game still. He is a guy that you would have deep on the depth chart but one that will cause the opposing secondary problems. I could imagine him lining up near Gronk and taking off in a different direction to him to confuse defenses.

He was noted as a good blocker too which gives him a chance of making the roster. He seems to kind of suit the Patriots system.

I can see why the Patriots were sold on Mitchell. The epitome of the Patriot way and BB kind of guy

Pats also passed on Coopers 2nd year option today. Right move as he is due 11.9m next year. 1 solid season hopefully and hope to re-negotiate next year or cut him loose.

Add Jonathan Jones from Auburn to the list of undrafted free agent signings.

Jones is talented but only 5'9" in height. He ran a blazing 4.33 secs 40 at the combine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hello Pats fans! As mentioned here already I will be over in the Boston area in November and was wondering where is a good location to stay if you're planning to see the City but have good access to the stadium on game day.

Thanks,

If you're renting a car you can stay anywhere and just drive to the game but if you're not, you'll need to get the train to the game from either South Station or Back Bay Station. Train kinda sucks as it only gets in a few minutes before kickoff and you'll miss any tailgating but at least you can drink and not worry about driving. I don't have a car so i always get the train, it's not the worst.

You can pretty much stay anywhere in the city as Back Bay station and particularly South Station are easily accessible from public transport, so i wouldn't worry too much about picking a hotel that gives you easy access to South Station.

The nicest part of Boston with plenty of hotels is Back Bay (its more expensive tho) and that would be walking distance to Back Bay station.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Looks like Amendola is restructuring to stay with us. Really happy with that news, he's become a clutch player this past season, would have been upset to see him walk.

• Advertisement

All the drafted rookies have signed contracts already with the exception of Jacoby Brissett. Brissett is representing himself, no agent involved so it'll take a little longer.

Advertisement