Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

BB asked if Jimmy is the starter if he goes 4-0

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

eagle eye wrote: »
    Again, you really are underestimating just how ruthless BB is. Look what he did with Bledsoe

you are not comparing like with like. And I dont even mean Brady with Bledsoe, I mean their form coming into the season of their transition (Brady thru suspension, Bledsoe thru injury)

Bledsoe had a completion rate of 58% with 3,291 yards, 17 TD's and 13 Ints.

Brady had a completion rate of 64% with 4,770 yards, 36 TD's and 7 Ints.

Replacing Bledsoe based on that isnt that much of a shock, as it wasnt as if he had brilliant stats coming into the season. Brady has been in form and has shown no signs of not carrying that into this year. Bledsoe was on far more of a knife edge in this sort of comparison. Bledsoe was the No1 QB, but wasnt irreplaceable. Brady has made himself irreplaceable and the comparison of the situation of the starting QB being replaced is not a like for like scenario at all.

Plus, BB has already said Brady will be back. I dont see any reason at all in any set of circumstances that if both QBs are healthy and available, regardless of what Jimmy does, Brady will be No1 in Cleveland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Will the Pats go the first 4 games with only struggling rookie Jacoby Brissett as the QB backup?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I wouldn't be surprised to see a vet brought in if it makes sense to BB but I am excited to see how Jimmy gets on, the pressure is a lot lower in a way knowing that TB is out for 4 games regardless so its not like any little mistake is going to see him dropped, he gets to make a big claim for himself and play 25% of the regular season with targets like Gronk and Jules to help him, not to mention the additions.

I have faith the O line will be better this year, but that is the one area I think may get him hurt, they tend to start slow and get better as they go along. If they can't protect him it will be very hard for him to do anything but fail.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I think Jimmy G will do ok...

A healthy O-line and two great blocking TE's in place, he'll be able to rely on the running game and some play action to keep the defences honest.

I actually think the real pressure will be on the D, without Brady we need to keep games to lower scores than we managed last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A lot of things could happen. The ideal scenario is that Jimmy G warms up the more he plays and we have teams scrambling to trade for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Jets cut Geno.........Garoppolo ****s the bed.........BB makes Geno a 2 game God

Just watched back the Kansas city playoff game. I forgot how bad the clock management was at the end, minutes at a time going while they decided what play to run or not run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Nink out 4-6 weeks with a torn tricep :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Balls, hopefully this won't be another season derailed by injury.

• Advertisement

Nink out 4-6 weeks with a torn tricep :(

crap. at least it happened early enough in camp and wont miss a massive amount of the regular season.

I havent heard any update on Edelman, but early indications was that it was a scare and not serious. Hopefully that follows true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Sucks for Ninko but at least it wasn't season ending and Edelman dodged a scary situation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

bruschi wrote: »

I havent heard any update on Edelman, but early indications was that it was a scare and not serious. Hopefully that follows true

Looks like Edelman is back at practice today.

you are not comparing like with like. And I dont even mean Brady with Bledsoe, I mean their form coming into the season of their transition (Brady thru suspension, Bledsoe thru injury)

Bledsoe had a completion rate of 58% with 3,291 yards, 17 TD's and 13 Ints.

Brady had a completion rate of 64% with 4,770 yards, 36 TD's and 7 Ints.
    I just read this and it's ridiculous. You are the one that is not comparing like with like.

Back then the game was not so pass happy and defenders were draped all over receivers.

Tom Brady is a legend and still one of the best in the game. At the time of Bledsoe's injury he was one of the best in the game and in his prime years.

Brady had a good season taking over from Bledsoe but it was successful because he didn't take many risks. He had a 63% passer rating through 14 starts in the regular season for 2843 yards with 18 tds and 12 ints. He had a great run in the middle of the season but some of his games were not that great.

Those stats were nothing spectacular but the completion rate was good. It wasn't about the stats, it was about his leadership and his desire to win.

Brady turned 39 last week and if somebody comes in and does a great job then Belichick is going to consider sticking with him imo. If he has the leadership qualities and can match Tom's completion rate etc. thenI would not be in the least bit surprised if it happened.

I'm a huge fan of Tom Brady, love the guy. I've been lucky enough to have been around for his whole career, was there for all of Bledsoe's time too, and I hope he comes back and wins another ring just to end any debates about the GOAT.

I'm just not stupid enough to think that because you have been a great player for a long, long time that BB is going to cut you some slack. Think about Richard Seymour and how he was traded, think about Willie McGinest being cut and there are plenty more who have been cut, traded or benched by Bill. It's one of the big reasons the Patriots keep having winning seasons.

I just read this and it's ridiculous.

fair enough you think my point is ridiculous. But we are discussing who plays in game 5 here, nothing else.

You can throw in whataboutery about other players if you want, but my opinion is still the very same. There is no way in hell that Brady does not start game 5. There is nothing whatsoever at all that shows me that Bill wont put Brady in for it.

fair enough you think my point is ridiculous. But we are discussing who plays in game 5 here, nothing else.

You can throw in whataboutery about other players if you want, but my opinion is still the very same. There is no way in hell that Brady does not start game 5. There is nothing whatsoever at all that shows me that Bill wont put Brady in for it.
    There is no 'whataboutery' in my post. I'm simply saying that BB will always do what he feels is best for the long and short term. If somebody rolls up and shows enough over the first four games then I'm certain Bill will stick with him as much as a lot of us won't like it.

It's highly unlikely that Garoppolo or Brissett can match what Brady has been doing so it's very likely that Brady starts game 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Might be only preseason but tonight Patriot football is back ��

It's highly unlikely that Garoppolo or Brissett can match what Brady has been doing so it's very likely that Brady starts game 5.

And that is exactly what we have been discussing.

Really interested to see how DJ Foster gets on tonight. High hopes for him.

2 defensive series so far, fumble recovery by Cyrus Jones and pick six by Jamie :)

• Advertisement

Saints up 16-8 early in the second quarter. I'm never too worried about preseason but the OL doesn't look so good.
    Brady not playing tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mance Raiders

I thought Malcolm Mitchell looked very promising, hopefully his injury isn't too serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

He only out 4 weeks luckily but misses important training camp reps tho

Yeah Mitchell looked really good last night. Some good performances by rookies last night along with Mitchell. I thought Thuney looked really good and was a beacon of light in a pretty poor OL performance. The two corners named Jones, Cyrus and Jonathan, both looked good too. Brisset has some arm on him, two errant throws would have been picked only for the velocity on them stopped pretty much any corner from being able to pick them off. He looked good in parts, clearly has a lot to work on but there is a lot of promise there. I really like how quick he drops back and how quick he reads the field. He made a Brady move last night at one stage where he swung his arm hard and then tucked and got himself some space after he got the defender to jump.

AJ Derby looked good last night too and it's going to be hard to cut him if he continues to perform like that. I thought Bolden looked best of the running backs. James White had a really nice run too which was a TD but the officials ruled him down half a yard short. Gaffney looks talented but it's too early to make a call on him either way.

My main concern besides the OL from last night was Jimmy G. He looked very slow to read the field and as a result held onto the ball too long. He shook off a defender at one stage last night and then decided he was going to run with the ball and ended up losing another chunk of yardage. He has sat behind Brady for a year and in that situation Brady would just take the sack. He should know better than to do what he did last night, it was a big mistake and I'd be of the opinion that Brisset got a whole lot closer to at least being competition for starting game one after last night.

Not much else to say, the D looks very good all over. Ninko was not missed last night, both Flowers and Long did pretty well. Humber was very impressive and I think we are in good shape for depth at LB. McClellin had a decent game too and I believe he will prove to be a great signing for us over the next 6 months.

Defense looked good, based off of preseason quality at least. I hope the team can improve defending on 3rd and long this year, seemed like an Achilles heel the few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Defense looked good, based off of preseason quality at least. I hope the team can improve defending on 3rd and long this year, seemed like an Achilles heel the few seasons.

For a hell of a lot of seasons, barring that one recently when we had Revis island to send people to :(

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

My main concern besides the OL from last night was Jimmy G. He looked very slow to read the field and as a result held onto the ball too long. He shook off a defender at one stage last night and then decided he was going to run with the ball and ended up losing another chunk of yardage. He has sat behind Brady for a year and in that situation Brady would just take the sack. He should know better than to do what he did last night, it was a big mistake and I'd be of the opinion that Brisset got a whole lot closer to at least being competition for starting game one after last night.

I actually was more impressed with Brissett than i was Jimmy. Maybe there's less pressure on Brissett but felt he read everything better and got rid of the ball quicker and looked more fluid

To be fair, Brissett was working against guys further down the Saints depth chart than Jimmy was.

Long looked quite good yesterday, hoping he goes well for us this season. Sheard is promising too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Mance Raiders

Jimmy G wasn't very promising, I know it's only preseason and the first game of it but it wasn't encouraging

Advertisement