Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

Paully D wrote: »
    Not sure how I missed that! :o

Either way, even if he wins that he's behind Bisping in line for sure.

Yeah they're on the same card as Khabib.

It's a real shame about Ferguson. This was shaping up to be a very decent fight night.
    Namajunas v Torres should be a good scrap and really happy to see Cub Swanson return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Weidman out of 199 :eek::eek: Slater from Saved by the Bell gets a title shot!!!! :eek::eek::pac:

https://twitter.com/MarioLopezExtra/status/717788942376914944

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Lay and pray and frankie edgar? no. Someone asked how to beat him. He answered. Would you call gsp a lay and pray fighter? How would you rate gsp mindset?

GSP was definitely a lay n pray fighter in his later career.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Paully D wrote: »
    Bisping certainly deserves one with the way the middleweight landscape is, IMO.

Rockhold and Weidman are obviously scheduled. Souza lost to Romero who subsequently popped and both fighters gassed after a round. Belfort is scheduled to fight Souza next month and is a horrid cheat anyway who deserves nothing. Machida has lost 2 in a row and seems no closer to making a comeback. Kennedy has been inactive for ages. Silva, Brunson, Whittaker and Mousasi are all matched up over the next couple of months so who knows how things will look there.

In addition, in fairness to Bisping he has always done things straight by the book and has been a company man throughout his time in the UFC, while the vast majority of his losses have come to proven cheaters.

I don't see a more logical middleweight contender at the moment.

I wouldn’t complain about him getting a shot for the reasons you’ve stated above but he’s nowhere a clear cut ‘I’m sitting out till I get my shot’ or ‘I’m going to kick up a fuss if I don’t get a shot’ territory.

Again, it says more about the division than anything else. He was decisively dismantled by the champion less than 18 months ago and his 3 fight win streak was against 2 guys who aren’t top 10 and the 3rd who is a shell of his former self and debatably still defeated him.

Like Woodley and Alverez, a big performance by any of the guys who are matched up (or inactive) currently could easily see them jump him to a shot. I don’t see where that sense of entitlement comes from (to be fair I haven’t seen anything from Bisping showing that he’s acting that way).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Devastator wrote: »
    Weidman out of 199 :eek::eek: Slater from Saved by the Bell gets a title shot!!!! :eek::eek::pac:

https://twitter.com/MarioLopezExtra/status/717788942376914944

You nearly gave me a heart attack. You're legend by the way. Thank you very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Lukker- wrote: »

Ha, nope.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Slightly more cautious yes but not a lay and prayer by any definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

not much praying needed when he was eaily controlling people on the floor

You nearly gave me a heart attack. You're legend by the way. Thank you very much!

yeah yeah I know :pac::pac: Did you get sorted?

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Ha, nope.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Slightly more cautious yes but not a lay and prayer by any definition.

Far more then slightly IMO. After Serra he seemed to be content to advance his position as slow as possible when he was on the ground, always looking at the referee. He'd attempt subs that he knew he had no chance getting just to score points too.

I understand his cautious approach and wanting to cement his position at the top but his last fights were dreadful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

yeah yeah I know :pac::pac: Did you get sorted?

I did. I had to order through all the app. The site on my laptop kept crashing. 4 rows from the cage!

• Advertisement

I did. I had to order through all the app. The site on my laptop kept crashing. 4 rows from the cage!

wow that is close! You'll probably get sweat on :pac: Enjoy it

Don't think it's been posted but Sage is training full time at Tristar now.

https://twitter.com/sagenorthcutt/status/717083941925031936

He looks bigger then GSP here, hard to believe he can make LW. GSP was a big WW in his day too.

Sparring with Rory too:

https://twitter.com/sagenorthcutt/status/717440105393307651

Didn't see it posted anywhere else.

Rampage will fight against Satoshi Ishii at Bellator "Dynamite 2" on June 24th.
    Good to see him back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

lougal88 wrote: »
    Didn't see it posted anywhere else.

Rampage will fight against Satoshi Ishii at Bellator "Dynamite 2" on June 24th.
    Good to see him back!

Had to fight for them because they had him tied up legally, will finish his contract and jump back to the ufc I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

According to Helwani on Twitter, Khabib cannot fight in July because of Ramadan. Do ye reckon RDA would have know this already before he threw himself into the mix?
    Ramadan will be over by UFC 200, but I'm not sure how it affects his training camp.
    lougal88 wrote: »
    Bisping might not be a great example but IMO he's been overlooked in the past regarding a title shot. Also hes the only top 10 active MW on a 3 fight win streak who doesn't have a fight lined up.
    When was Bisping overlooked? be specific.

You are just listing fighters who have been in the mix long enough to complain about it. But the actually timelines are clear they've never skipped.

Even Frankie at 145. deserves a shot. But has never really been skipped. Aldo's pull out of 189 has forced him to wait a year. But nobody has got him ahead of him, so he wasn't overlooked.
    Far more then slightly IMO. After Serra he seemed to be content to advance his position as slow as possible when he was on the ground, always looking at the referee. He'd attempt subs that he knew he had no chance getting just to score points too.

I understand his cautious approach and wanting to cement his position at the top but his last fights were dreadful to watch.
    2oP3h1p.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Mellor wrote: »
    When was Bisping overlooked? be specific.

Lol what is this an exam?

Read Paully D's post RE: Bisping as he made a more clear argument for Bisping's title shot aspirations than I bothered to write.
    I'm not here as a Bisping cheerleader, I'm making the point that fighters (I don't need to give examples) have been screwed over in the past by the UFC. We can all agree on that point.

My point originally was about Alvarez, that IMO he should strongly consider taking the Khabib fight regardless of notice. I'm also of the opinion that in this era of the "injury bug", fighters should be ready for that phone call at all times if they seriously want to get to the top. I think that this would give these fighters that aren't necessarily very exciting the opportunities at the right time.

Also regarding Frankie, he may not have been skipped by another FW per se, but with McGregor fighting in other divisions he has had to wait and has now taken IMO an ill-advised Interim fight when he should be next in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Davei141 wrote: »

Doesn't meet expectations when compared to UFC100 is probably more to the point,hardly underwhelming if you see it as just another number IMO more depth to card than 196 here too surely.

Surprised they took a risk on that match up and not do the Holm rematch then again we'd have 3 rematches on main if that was the case.

Take it Robbie Lawler surely headlining 201

Davei141 wrote: »

I'm actually quite happy about this fight and called for it straight after UFC 196. Not because I'm a massive fan of Nunes (in fact she looked a big sluggish in Rd 3 vs. Shevchenko) but because she is the top contender and it breaks the never-ending cycle of immediate rematches.

Also I think this card is now shaping up pretty nicely and this only adds to that. We now have three "title" fights on the card :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I dont mind if its not stacked with every ppv I seen someone make a good point why they wont put any more huge stars on because it would mean paying too many fighters big ppv cuts,I hope they put on a nice few undercard match ups that will be exciting stylistically,

The cards surrounds it are pretty stacked I'd personally rather have a few fights spread out instead of all in one night then have nothing to watch the weekends after it for ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

There are good fun fights on UFC 200 no doubt but you look at the card even compared to the original 189 & 194 lineup and it just feels way less important overall. Nunes has zero cardio and I would confidently bet that she has never won a 3rd round in her career. Bad combination vs Tate.

Fair points on the other cards being well stacked also. Cant argue with that maybe we were getting spoiled with 189/194 style cards. Although even putting say Conor vs Edgar and Diaz vs Pettis would be much more interesting use of resources IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Was flicking after the Champions League lastnight and caught UFC Breakdown on BT Sport for the first time.

Must say - after you get past the slightly tacky production of the show it's actually really good :eek: Has got me excited for Rothwell v JDS

maximoose wrote: »
    Was flicking after the Champions League lastnight and caught UFC Breakdown on BT Sport for the first time.

Must say - after you get past the slightly tacky production of the show it's actually really good :eek: Has got me excited for Rothwell v JDS

same! Although I wasn't giving full attention (I was playing carmagedon lol) but it seemed like a good show. Some interesting breaking down of JDS & Rothwell from Hardy. Pity as it sounded like they're only going to do this show for European cards, as they said at the end "See you next time for UFC Rotterdam"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I wouldn't call Frankie a lay and pray type fighter. No way.

I was talking about Alvarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Lay and pray and frankie edgar? no. Someone asked how to beat him. He answered. Would you call gsp a lay and pray fighter? How would you rate gsp mindset?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

hefferboi wrote: »

Alvarez isn't a lay and pray fighter either. Watch his fight against Melendez for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

The rubbish spouted when McGregor got a title shot,Amanda nunes is getting one off a decision win against shevchenko ffs,find that bemusing.

Khabib and Cowboy goting at it in twitter, be a decent replacement. Ferguson wants to the fight to be put back to May.

ASOT wrote: »
    Khabib and Cowboy goting at it in twitter, be a decent replacement. Ferguson wants to the fight to be put back to May.

Seems only fair. Ferguson was due to fight at 196 but when Khabib said he would only be available April TF said he would wait to fight him even though his wife(partner) was heavily pregnant. If TF's able to fight within a matter of weeks then Khabib should agree to a short postponement

• Advertisement

Seems only fair. Ferguson was due to fight at 196 but when Khabib said he would only be available April TF said he would wait to fight him even though his wife(partner) was heavily pregnant. If TF's able to fight within a matter of weeks then Khabib should agree to a short postponement

Signed the contracts for the cowboy fight already by the looks of things, to be fair I'd say he's just raring to get back into it at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement