Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

lougal88 wrote: »
    If Eddie Alvarez is fit he should be matched up with Khabib. It's the logical move. Current top 2 contenders.

He's fit, as he's in training.
    But I'm not sure if it's smart for him to take a fight with Khabib on 10 days notice, nor would I begrudge him for turning it down.

Cerrone has much less to lose having just fought for the title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Do bookies take odds on a pull out in the main event.... there is definitely money to be made in it! i know there is nothing that can be done.. **** happens but last 12 months has been nuts with main event injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭lougal88

Mellor wrote: »
    He's fit, as he's in training.
    But I'm not sure if it's smart for him to take a fight with Khabib on 10 days notice, nor would I begrudge him for turning it down.

Cerrone has much less to lose having just fought for the title

If another fighter takes the fight then presumably the winner gets a title shot.

I don't see how it isn't smart regardless of the 10 days notice. If he doesn't take the fight where does that leave him? He's crying out for a title shot. We know how the UFC treats fighters. This is his big chance IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

They should definitely leave Khabib v RDA for the title for 200. I was looking forward to Ferguson but that would more than make up for it and would bring the card up another notch.

If another fighter takes the fight then presumably the winner gets a title shot.
    Probably not tbh. There's not many fighters in the top 10 that are available.

1 Eddie Alvarez 
    2 Khabib Nurmagomedov 
    3 Anthony Pettis  Booked
    4 Tony Ferguson  Injured
    5 Nate Diaz  Booked
    6 Michael Johnson 
    7 Beneil Dariush  Booked
    8 Edson Barboza  Booked
    9 Donald Cerrone 
    10 Dustin Poirier  Booked

Cerrone isn't getting another shot straight away. Johnson is on two losses, to fights booked in the top 10. The only person that can leapfrog him is Khabib. It will between them two for the title fight, no matter who the replacement is.

By taking this fight Eddie either eliminates Khabib as a contender, or gets eliminated himself. It's a high stakes match-up, and I wouldn't begrudge him for not gambling on 10 days notice.
    I don't see how it isn't smart regardless of the 10 days notice.
    What's the point thinking about "regardless of the 10 days notice"?
    That's specifically why it's a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

hefferboi wrote: »
    They should definitely leave Khabib v RDA for the title for 200. I was looking forward to Ferguson but that would more than make up for it and would bring the card up another notch.

According to Helwani on Twitter, Khabib cannot fight in July because of Ramadan. Do ye reckon RDA would have know this already before he threw himself into the mix?

Probably not tbh. There's not many fighters in the top 10 that are available.

1 Eddie Alvarez
    2 Khabib Nurmagomedov
    3 Anthony Pettis Booked
    4 Tony Ferguson Injured
    5 Nate Diaz Booked
    6 Michael Johnson
    7 Beneil Dariush Booked
    8 Edson Barboza Booked
    9 Donald Cerrone
    10 Dustin Poirier Booked
    Cerrone isn't getting another shot straight away. Johnson is on two losses, to fights booked in the top 10. The only person that can leapfrog him is Khabib. It will between them two for the title fight, no matter who the replacement is.

By taking this fight Eddie either eliminates Khabib as a contender, or gets eliminated himself. It's a high stakes match-up, and I wouldn't begrudge him for not gambling on 10 days notice.

I don't see how it isn't smart regardless of the 10 days notice.
    That's specifically why it's a bad idea.[/QUOTE]

You're missing my point, if Eddie doesn't take the fight there is a VERY high chance that Khabib beats whoever else takes the fight and becomes #1 Contender.

Where does that leave Eddie?

He hasn't got his shot already when he felt he deserved it (personally I don't). And so what's he gonna do, sit around waiting for another fight?

I think he's putting himself in a T-Wood situation.
    I'm not saying its smart to take it on 10 days notice either, but look at OSP. Took a fight and could potentially become LHW Champ.

The way the UFC is these days sometimes you have to jump in and take the big fight regardless of notice, it can potentially change your whole career e.g Nate Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

That's specifically why it's a bad idea.
    You're missing my point, if Eddie doesn't take the fight there is a VERY high chance that Khabib beats whoever else takes the fight and becomes #1 Contender.

Where does that leave Eddie?

He hasn't got his shot already when he felt he deserved it (personally I don't). And so what's he gonna do, sit around waiting for another fight?

I'm not saying its smart to take it on 10 days notice either, but look at OSP. Took a fight and could potentially become LHW Champ.

The way the UFC is these days sometimes you have to jump in and take the big fight regardless of notice, it can potentially change your whole career e.g Nate Diaz.

He's not losing out on anything anyways, because he was already out of the picture. If he takes the fight and loses he'll fall to the back of the queue. He's better off waiting. Taking a fight against Khabib on 10 days would be madness. I know Dana says he likes to reward fighters who step up but I wouldn't trust him one bit.

He is most likely going to be involved in the next title elimanator anyways.

Lukker- wrote: »
    He's not losing out on anything anyways, because he was already out of the picture. If he takes the fight and loses he'll fall to the back of the queue. He's better off waiting. Taking a fight against Khabib on 10 days would be madness. I know Dana says he likes to reward fighters who step up but I wouldn't trust him one bit.

This part I disagree with. He may be sensible to not take it on 10 days, but I'm not sure where this leaves him. Its happened far too frequently lately that the guy at the top who deserves the shot doesn't get it e.g Frankie, T-Wood, Bisping.

Also saying that he was out of the picture, followed by saying his next fight is a title eliminator is a bit of a contradiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Lukker- wrote: »

Dana didn't exactly break his back to reward Bendo(I think they offered to match Bellators offer) and Bendo took and offered himself up for plenty of short notice fights

• Advertisement

There's a much higher chance of that happening if he fights Eddie.
    He hasn't got his shot because RDA is injured, nobody has jumped over Eddie to get a shot.
    OSP is completely different as its a title fight. He has little to lose and everything to gain.

There's a much higher chance of that happening if he fights Eddie.
    He hasn't got his shot because RDA is injured, nobody has jumped over Eddie to get a shot.

OSP is completely different as its a title fight. He has little to lose and everything to gain.

Do you honestly think if RDA was fit that Eddie is next in line?
    Not for me, and I cant see who he is going to fight next if he doesn't take this fight. Maybe Ferguson when he returns? Or Dariush?

In any case I'd imagine the winner of Kabib vs ? will be the next in line, so it furthers my point that Eddie could end up at the back of the queue again anyway after his next fight.

Agreed on OSP, bad example maybe.
    Although don't forget its an INTERIM title fight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Devastator wrote: »
    Dana didn't exactly break his back to reward Bendo(I think they offered to match Bellators offer) and Bendo took and offered himself up for plenty of short notice fights

Oh absolutely. As I said I wouldn't trust him. I don't think they even matched the Bellator offer either, they said they'd better it if he became champion again. At the same time the UFC knew the only reason Bendo was taking short notice fights was to finish his contract sooner, he was eager to test free agency.

[
    Do you honestly think if RDA was fit that Eddie is next in line?
    Not for me, and I cant see who he is going to fight next if he doesn't take this fight. Maybe Ferguson when he returns? Or Dariush?
    If RDA was fit he was fighting Conor last month. That match was booked before Eddie beat Pettis,

You are looking at a snapshot of the division/rankings right now. Rather than the way events unfolded. At no point in the last 6 months was Eddie the match to make.
    In any case I'd imagine the winner of Kabib vs ? will be the next in line, so it furthers my point that Eddie could end up at the back of the queue again anyway after his next fight.
    I'd rather be second in line that out of the running.
    Agreed on OSP, bad example maybe.
    Although don't forget its an INTERIM title fight ;)
    i know, you called him champ not me ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

If Alverez gets a title shot ill be annoyed hes a bum version of Frankie Edgar dont like watching him fight at all he turned into clay guida against Pettis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Of course Cerrone said yes, man doesn't understand the word no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

This part I disagree with. He may be sensible to not take it on 10 days, but I'm not sure where this leaves him. Its happened far too frequently lately that the guy at the top who deserves the shot doesn't get it e.g Frankie, T-Wood, Bisping.

Also saying that he was out of the picture, followed by saying his next fight is a title eliminator is a bit of a contradiction.

It's a myth that Woodley deserves a title shot. He's won 2 fights in a row, Stun Gun Kym and a split decision against Kelvin Gastelum. Granted the fight with Hendricks was scrapped two days before, the way he's going around thinking he deserves is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

TimRiggins wrote: »
    It's a myth that Woodley deserves a title shot. He's won 2 fights in a row, Stun Gun Kym and a split decision against Kelvin Gastelum. Granted the fight with Hendricks was scrapped two days before, the way he's going around thinking he deserves is crazy.

Agree with this.

I’d question the inclusion of Bisping in the list of fighters who ‘deserve’ a shot as well.

Bisping in his last 6 fights he lost to both Rockhold and Kennedy, with his victories coming over Le (NR), Dollaway (15), Leites (12). The only big name he beat recently was Silva, who seems to be a shell of his former self and debatably still knocked him out.

Edgar is the only one who I’d say should be included in that list of fighters who ‘deserves’ a shot and could be upset in not getting it. He’s even helped by how shallow the division is and how Mendes should not have been allowed anywhere near a cage when they fought.

Alvarez, like Woodley and Bisping, has really done very little to deserve a shot and it’s laughable their sense of entitlement in demanding one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Gamebred wrote: »
    If Alverez gets a title shot ill be annoyed hes a bum version of Frankie Edgar dont like watching him fight at all he turned into clay guida against Pettis.

He was asked in an interview a few months ago how he would stop McGregor, basically just said the way to beat it him is to lie on top of him for 5 round. Shows his mindset, lay and pray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

He was asked in an interview a few months ago how he would stop McGregor, basically just said the way to beat it him is to lie on top of him for 5 round. Shows his mindset, lay and pray.

I wouldn't call Frankie a lay and pray type fighter. No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Lay and pray and frankie edgar? no. Someone asked how to beat him. He answered. Would you call gsp a lay and pray fighter? How would you rate gsp mindset?

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Agree with this.

I’d question the inclusion of Bisping in the list of fighters who ‘deserve’ a shot as well.

Bisping in his last 6 fights he lost to both Rockhold and Kennedy, with his victories coming over Le (NR), Dollaway (15), Leites (12). The only big name he beat recently was Silva, who seems to be a shell of his former self and debatably still knocked him out.

Edgar is the only one who I’d say should be included in that list of fighters who ‘deserves’ a shot and could be upset in not getting it. He’s even helped by how shallow the division is and how Mendes should not have been allowed anywhere near a cage when they fought.

Alvarez, like Woodley and Bisping, has really done very little to deserve a shot and it’s laughable their sense of entitlement in demanding one.

Bisping might not be a great example but IMO he's been overlooked in the past regarding a title shot. Also hes the only top 10 active MW on a 3 fight win streak who doesn't have a fight lined up.

I don't think Alvarez deserves a shot either. Think hes at least another fight away, which was my original point. I think it might be worth the risk to take on Khabib. If he beat him on 10 days notice there would be no doubt he gets a title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Bisping might not be a great example but IMO he's been overlooked in the past regarding a title shot. Also hes the only top 10 active MW on a 3 fight win streak who doesn't have a fight lined up.

I don't think Alvarez deserves a shot either. Think hes at least another fight away, which was my original point. I think it might be worth the risk to take on Khabib. If he beat him on 10 days notice there would be no doubt he gets a title shot.

Fighting Khabib on 10 days notice wouldn't be a smart move for any fighter. Alvarez may only have two wins but at least he's beaten two former Champions, and many thought Pettis would get a shot if he beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Agree with this.

Bisping certainly deserves one with the way the middleweight landscape is, IMO.

Rockhold and Weidman are obviously scheduled. Souza lost to Romero who subsequently popped and both fighters gassed after a round. Belfort is scheduled to fight Souza next month and is a horrid cheat anyway who deserves nothing. Machida has lost 2 in a row and seems no closer to making a comeback. Kennedy has been inactive for ages. Silva, Brunson, Whittaker and Mousasi are all matched up over the next couple of months so who knows how things will look there.

In addition, in fairness to Bisping he has always done things straight by the book and has been a company man throughout his time in the UFC, while the vast majority of his losses have come to proven cheaters.

I don't see a more logical middleweight contender at the moment.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Fighting Khabib on 10 days notice wouldn't be a smart move for any fighter. Alvarez may only have two wins but at least he's beaten two former Champions, and many thought Pettis would get a shot if he beat him.

If that's the case then they won't get an opponent for him.

More fighters should show the bottle that Cerrone for example shows. Too many guys playing it safe then complaining about not getting a shot.

Let's see who is willing to take the Khabib fight.

Paully D wrote: »
    Bisping certainly deserves one with the way the middleweight landscape is, IMO.

Rockhold and Weidman are obviously scheduled. Souza lost to Romero who subsequently popped and both fighters gassed after a round. Belfort is scheduled to fight Souza next month and is a horrid cheat anyway who deserves nothing. Machida has lost 2 in a row and seems no closer to making a comeback. Kennedy has been inactive for ages. Silva, Brunson, Whittaker and Mousasi are all matched up over the next couple of months so who knows how things will look there.

In addition, in fairness to Bisping he has always done things straight by the book and has been a company man throughout his time in the UFC, while the vast majority of his losses have come to proven cheaters.

I don't see a more logical middleweight contender at the moment.

Totally agree with all of this. I'm not a big fan of Bisping personally but he's done a lot for the UFC and has the most wins in the history of the division.

Although I think the Vitor v Jacare winner probably gets the next shot Bisping has a very good argument.

Paully D wrote: »
    Machida has lost 2 in a row and seems no closer to making a comeback.

Pretty much agree with everything else you;ve said. I'd like to see Bisping get a shot too for many of same reasons but no point quoting everything. Machida is fighting Dan Henderson within the next couple of weeks though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

By any chance is there anyone with a fight club presale code for ufc 199 (Rockhold v Weidman 2) that ain't using? Taking my brother for his stags in LA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Devastator wrote: »
    Pretty much agree with everything else you;ve said. I'd like to see Bisping get a shot too for many of same reasons but no point quoting everything. Machida is fighting Dan Henderson within the next couple of weeks though

Not sure how I missed that! :o

Either way, even if he wins that he's behind Bisping in line for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement