Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

cms88 wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder why they're not called up on it. Anything that happens they take credit for it and if it doen't work it they just try to pretend like it never happened.

And you can't say anything against them! I know a few businesses who initially had joined as members, but didn't renew their membership as they felt they got nothing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

kn wrote: »
    I remember Carroll's was at the front and all the comics were there. The toy store was further down. Got an evil kenevil there one Christmas. It is the one Christmas present I always remember - loved it. And of course he did a show in the ASP back in the early 80's cowboy's and everything. It was really unique at the time I remember it really well. A Friday night I'm going to say circa 1983.

It wasn't Evel Knievel that did a show in ASP but Eddie Kidd. I was there but can't remember the year. Early 80s anyway.

Anyone remember The Burger Garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

pawdee wrote: »
    It wasn't Evel Knievel that did a show in ASP but Eddie Kidd. I was there but can't remember the year. Early 80s anyway.

Anyone remember The Burger Garden?

He was here in 1980... paralysed and some brain damage nearly 25 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

513832.png
    Sully34 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Leisure way?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

What was the vegetarian restaurant, don't remember that?

Leisure way had newsagents out the front. Bakery in the centre. That Dublin lad who owns Ikon had a shop in there. There was also a pet shop. Upstairs had a hairdressers and a vegetarian restaurant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

What was the vegetarian restaurant, don't remember that?

Bratts was up there for a while.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

kn wrote: »
    I only remember when it was H Williams - not as an arcade.
    It was a still a shopping centre while H Williams was there. H Williams just took over Tesco's former footprint.

Even when Dunnes first opened there, after they left the town centre and while they were building NCR, they restricted themselves to the Tesco/H Williams part and the rest of the (now vacent) shopping centre was boarded off. It was only when Dunnes reopened the Horan Centre in the late nineties that they occupied the whole of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭acequion

513832.png

Was that 70's or 80's? Vaguely remember it. Does anyone remember "The Cordon Bleu" in the Square? Fine dining wasn't the in thing back in the days of bacon and cabbage but that place was quite posh I think.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,991 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Quackster wrote: »
    It was a still a shopping centre while H Williams was there. H Williams just took over Tesco's former footprint.

Even when Dunnes first opened there, after they left the town centre and while they were building NCR, they restricted themselves to the Tesco/H Williams part and the rest of the (now vacent) shopping centre was boarded off. It was only when Dunnes reopened the Horan Centre in the late nineties that they occupied the whole of it.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/localnotes/former-supermarket-staff-enjoy-reunion-29731267.html

Tesco must have tried Ireland for three years from 1983 to 1986, before selling off their stores to H Williams and clearing off. Wiki says that H Williams fell victim to a price war soon after and went bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

acequion wrote: »
    Was that 70's or 80's? Vaguely remember it. Does anyone remember "The Cordon Bleu" in the Square? Fine dining wasn't the in thing back in the days of bacon and cabbage but that place was quite posh I think.:)

Leisure was definitely there until mid 80's, not sure from when, I started work in town centre in 1980.

I absolutely loved The Cordon Bleu :) I'd say it was the best we had for a while, Chez Jean Marc if that's how it was spelt came later but that place was just fantastic, I still remember their Chocolate Marquise for dessert, omg! That was there in early 90s I would guess, somewhere up Castle Street upstairs on the side where Baileys is now, I feel a little further than that but before Gaywear at the time. He moved to Kinsale I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

phormium wrote: »
    Leisure was definitely there until mid 80's, not sure from when, I started work in town centre in 1980.

I absolutely loved The Cordon Bleu :) I'd say it was the best we had for a while, Chez Jean Marc if that's how it was spelt came later but that place was just fantastic, I still remember their Chocolate Marquise for dessert, omg! That was there in early 90s I would guess, somewhere up Castle Street upstairs on the side where Baileys is now, I feel a little further than that but before Gaywear at the time. He moved to Kinsale I think.

Anyone remember the american diner that was upstairs where Wild currently is?
    I remember my mom taking me in there as a kid and it was like being transported to the USA, had never seen anything like it.
    In reality it was probably just a chipper with some memorabilia on the wall.
    A kind of eddie rockets before eddie rockets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    And you can't say anything against them! I know a few businesses who initially had joined as members, but didn't renew their membership as they felt they got nothing for it.

Only a very small few do get anything out of it. I know of people who had started different things and once they looked like they were going well the chamber jumped on board and runed the whole thing.

Are they still doing them voucher things? They were supposed to be thir big game chamger for the town

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

E mac wrote: »
    Saw pictures of Russell Arcade a while back on either Clerys or Kennelly's photo archive.

Russell Arcade was home to the best toy shop of all time, Liam O Connors was a must visit anytime I was in town as a kid, over flowing it used to be with toys,

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

g1983d wrote: »
    Anyone remember the american diner that was upstairs where Wild currently is?
    I remember my mom taking me in there as a kid and it was like being transported to the USA, had never seen anything like it.
    In reality it was probably just a chipper with some memorabilia on the wall.
    A kind of eddie rockets before eddie rockets

Tom's cabin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Do I remember correctly 'Bilkos' in where abrakebabra is now?

Tom's cabin

The O'Sheas took it over after that and it was some kind of American diner 1992-1994..can't remember the name

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

cms88 wrote: »
    Only a very small few do get anything out of it. I know of people who had started different things and once they looked like they were going well the chamber jumped on board and runed the whole thing.

Are they still doing them voucher things? They were supposed to be thir big game chamger for the town

They seemed to still be around last Christmas, but I don't know how they are selling them. I think they wanted to compete with the one for all vouchers, but I don't think they really took off. We looked into getting them, but like the one for all voucher, they look for commission on them. Makes no sense for a small business when you can sell your own gift vouchers, and not have to pay any commission.
    I don't think anyone has even come into us looking to buy anything with one.

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    Do I remember correctly 'Bilkos' in where abrakebabra is now?

It was yes. They also owned Smythies Café in the middle of the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It was yes. They also owned Smythies Café in the middle of the centre.

Had my first ever slice of cheese cake in there. Thought I was very sophisticated ! Imagine, a time when cheesecake was exotic!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Had my first ever slice of cheese cake in there. Thought I was very sophisticated ! Imagine, a time when cheesecake was exotic!

The owner was my late uncle, and as kids we used to get any left over buns in the evening! ;)

• Advertisement

Tom's cabin

That name does ring a bell alright but as I've thought about it I seem to recall rock city diner as a name too.
    It's amazing how your forget something that sp clear in the mind a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Any one memories of Burger Kingdom in the small square? Was a favourite of mine caus they served mint milkshakes ....can't remember what the food was like! Definitely remember being there around 1994.

g1983d wrote: »
    That name does ring a bell alright but as I've thought about it I seem to recall rock city diner as a name too.
    It's amazing how your forget something that sp clear in the mind a few years ago

Rock City Diner is spot on

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

That was on the ground floor though, wasn't it?

Was that not the one in the Mall, on the corner to Ashe street?

Quackster wrote: »
    That was on the ground floor though, wasn't it?

There was an upstairs as well...many's the lunchtime I spent looking out onto the street waiting for my gf at the time to come out of Quinsworth & meet me for a burger :D

Was that not the one in the Mall, on the corner to Ashe street?

Yes.. that's the one I'm on about... Bilkos was the one down where abrakebabra is now

Yes.. that's the one I'm on about... Bilkos was the one down where abrakebabra is nown

Sorry, thought someone mentioned it was in the square. We used to go into the Rock street diner anytime we were 'allowed' into town! Was a great spot.

Has Easons reopened?

I thought I saw someone mention it during week somewhere.

• Advertisement

My memory of it was from I was very young but fond memory of being upstairs with my mom looking out the window down onto the street

Advertisement