Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I used to get my copies of "Smash Hits" and "No. 1" in there. They were bimonthly and came out on alternate weeks. When I was younger I use to get "Girl" magazine in there - it was a comic for tweenies - a bit more grown up than Bunty and Tammy. I felt very grown up calling in on my way home from school once a week for my magazine order! Do such things even exist any more for children and young teens?

I think there's a few younger kids magazines still around, but they cost a bloody fortune! I saw one I was going to get my little boy a while back and put it straight down when I realised it was about €8!!
    I used to buy all the Smash Hits magazines. Great for the posters and the song lyrics! I had years worth of them in my room at my childhood home. They were dumped when I moved out for college! I was so annoyed!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yeah, 'No 1' was relatively short lived and the lesser publication. 'Smash Hits' was a great magazine for younger music fans. It's a shame your copies were thrown out, I'd say you'd get a few bob for them now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

kn wrote: »
    The Russell Arcade is going back a bit. That went downhill as soon as the Shopping Centre opened and the Shopping Centre went downhill as soon as Manor opened......and so it goes.....

I remember as a garsun shopping in Dunnes store grocery shop with my Parents/Grandparents in the Russell arcade if I recall correctly.
    Remember the arcade used to be packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Right...who remembers walking into the front entrance of McCann's on Castle street...and walking out the back in Ashe street?

Right...who remembers walking into the front entrance of McCann's on Castle street...and walking out the back in Ashe street?

Me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Me!

I knew you would mom

I knew you would mom

Whist, Grandad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Anybody remember the name of the bakery/cafe in there or who owned it.

Bakers Oven! And I thought the newsagents was called Porters. I never remember it being called Carroll's.

Being an anorak here but if I remember correctly, (as it was our family's main walking route into town from Narries territory) Russell arcade had:

Porters newsagents
    Miller's Shoes
    Garveys butcher
    Charlie's Fruit & Veg
    Liam O'Connor toys (and my first experience of Slush Puppys lol!!)
    Pat Kelly children's wear
    Bakers Oven
    Home Decor centre
    And possibly one more shop at Dennys end that I can't recall what was in there.

A very handy little arcade...And yes it used to be thronged back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Tralee has a shopping centre??

You obviously haven't visited the town in 20 years if you're not familiar with Manor West Shopping Centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I remember being in there very young. So mid-70's or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Me too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Anybody remember the name of the bakery/cafe in there or who owned it.

I remember the bakery & the guy who had it. He used to live near me in Oakpark & also had a bakery type building at the rear of his house. Struggling to put a name on him now. Was it something like Jim McKeogh. Not too sure now.

T.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Can't remember that at all!?:confused:

Paulrio456 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Hope it’s ok to post this on here as a few were enquiring when the burger shack will reopen. We are looking at 4/5 weeks as we are doing an extensive renovation and workers are only getting back now. Nervous uncertainty ahead for all businesses. Good to see so many doing improvements too. Hope to see ye all soon. Paul.

Best of luck with the refurb! Looking forward to the reopening!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Can't remember that at all!?:confused:

I moved here in 1980 and don't think it survived long beyond that year, if at all. My memory of the place is very hazy so must only have been in there a handful of times.

Quackster wrote: »
    Yeah, small and poorly stocked in comparison with other outlets in town. No great loss, except for the staff of course.

One of the town centre's biggest weaknesses is the proliferation of small units that are of absolutely no use to most chain stores. Needs to be more consolidation of vacent units wherever possible.

That end of the town centre is starting to look pretty bleak. Its sad to see so many empty units. You are right in saying they are all pretty small units, apart from the Dunnes one. I don't know what is going to attract bigger named stores to the town centre. I would love to see some new stores open. Nothing more has been said since last year about all these big 'names' who were interested in opening according to Tralee chamber alliance!

I know the timing is not good at the moment, but considering this was over a year ago since this was said in the Kerry's eye, you would think something would have progressed by now! I think Golden Disks was the only name that did open, and even then its hard to know if they will last. Abbey court will be the next area to look pretty bleak if nothing new starts to open!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

I moved here in 1980 and don't think it survived long beyond that year, if at all. My memory of the place is very hazy so must only have been in there a handful of times.

Still there in the mid 80’s, front part was a shop and the Ashe St side operated as a cash and carry.

Still there in the mid 80’s, front part was a shop and the Ashe St side operated as a cash and carry.

Ah OK. I suppose as a kid I didn't have much reason to be going in there! I remember going in with my Dad a few times.

Do you remember Pennies on the opposite side of The Mall to where it is now and being able to walk through to Quinsworth on The Square?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

Dallas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭acequion

ongarboy wrote: »
    Bakers Oven! And I thought the newsagents was called Porters. I never remember it being called Carroll's.

Being an anorak here but if I remember correctly, (as it was our family's main walking route into town from Narries territory) Russell arcade had:

Porters newsagents
    Miller's Shoes
    Garveys butcher
    Charlie's Fruit & Veg
    Liam O'Connor toys (and my first experience of Slush Puppys lol!!)
    Pat Kelly children's wear
    Bakers Oven
    Home Decor centre
    And possibly one more shop at Dennys end that I can't recall what was in there.

A very handy little arcade...And yes it used to be thronged back in the day!

Aww this is really bringing back memories.:) I couldn't quite recall the names of the shops but you're spot on. If you stand in front of the present day Shaws with the town centre behind you, Shaws front door would be the main entrance to the arcade and Porters was on your right, Miller's Shoes on your left. A little further down on your right was Baker's Oven. It used to be a buzzing little arcade and it lasted well into the 80's if I remember well.

• Advertisement

Ah OK. I suppose as a kid I didn't have much reason to be going in there! I remember going in with my Dad a few times.

Do you remember Pennies on the opposite side of The Mall to where it is now and being able to walk through to Quinsworth on The Square?

I must have the worst memory, I can't remember that either! :confused:

I remember Quinsworth though, and being able to park in the square.

acequion wrote: »
    Aww this is really bringing back memories.:) I couldn't quite recall the names of the shops but you're spot on. If you stand in front of the present day Shaws with the town centre behind you, Shaws front door would be the main entrance to the arcade and Porters was on your right, Miller's Shoes on your left. A little further down on your right was Baker's Oven. It used to be a buzzing little arcade and it lasted well into the 80's if I remember well.

It was still hanging on into the mid 90s. Not much in there by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Bailys Corner now has its magnificent new frontage fitted. A fantastic addition to Castle St, which certainly needs the facelift.

Bailys Corner now has its magnificent new frontage fitted. A fantastic addition to Castle St, which certainly needs the facelift.

All it needs now is customers.

Quinnsworth was where Byrnesworth is now.

Quinnsworth was where Byrnesworth is now.

Yes.

acequion wrote: »

Exactly as I remember and the toy store was on the left as you walked in from Bridge St. I remember it being a particularly cluttered place.

Exactly as I remember and the toy store was on the left as you walked in from Bridge St. I remember it being a particularly cluttered place.

Yeah! I'd say Health and Safety would have a conniption if they saw it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's a risk of Manor West being a carbon copy of the town centre if they don't find a Debenhams replacement. I was thinking that someone like Shaws could take it on, and possibly have the same or similar concession in place. I wonder if they've actually considered it? It would be another nail in the town centre coffin if they did decide to move up there.

Of course, the usual run of rumours get spread around, like Next moving in there, or whatever, which would still leave a vacant unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

ejmaztec wrote: »
    There's a risk of Manor West being a carbon copy of the town centre if they don't find a Debenhams replacement. I was thinking that someone like Shaws could take it on, and possibly have the same or similar concession in place. I wonder if they've actually considered it? It would be another nail in the town centre coffin if they did decide to move up there.

Of course, the usual run of rumours get spread around, like Next moving in there, or whatever, which would still leave a vacant unit.

This is just an opinion
    There are very few Retailers willing to take a unit that size, just make a comparison to larger shopping centres in Cork or Limerick
    No UK based business would be willing unless M&S but they now need a Food based outlet and cant see Tesco agree with that
    I would say that the Unit would be redesigned 2 large units and 3/4 smaller ones, it would bring more vibrancy to the centre
    Planning is also an issue

Advertisement