Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Tralee thread

  • 11-01-2016 9:03am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭ LizT


    Part 2 :)


«134567326

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ Kerrydude1981


    For the year that's in it lets kick off the thread with the 1916 commemoration that was held out in Banna at the weekend,



    http://traleetoday.ie/videophotos-hundreds-attend-kerry-sinn-fein-event-in-banna/


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Ciarrai76


    Just in case you are confused as to why there's a new thread, its due to the forum charter when a thread is over 10000 posts, a new one must be started.

    As you were! ;)


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Ciarrai76


    For the year that's in it lets kick off the thread with the 1916 commemoration that was held out in Banna at the weekend,



    http://traleetoday.ie/videophotos-hundreds-attend-kerry-sinn-fein-event-in-banna/

    I heard there was a great crowd at it. I saw some video from it too, it looked really good. I have too much of a cold at the moment to stand in the freezing cold at a beach in January!! :rolleyes:

    Just to add for others...please do NOT start a political debate over this, its not a political thread. If you don't agree with the post/commemoration or the parties involved, thats fine, but don't bring politics into this! There are plenty of other threads on Boards.ie for that debate. Thanks. MOD


  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Quackster


    Ashe (Nelson) street predates the road you mention from The roundabout to the lights. Afaik previously you continue straight at the top of Ashe St up along the big river to brewery road. I always thought that the creation of that road came with the railway. It was also part of the tralee dingle railway and as the road I mentioned by the big river was severed by Tralee North station so maybe the link road was created around then.

    Anyway never seen or heard it being refered to as Ashe Street.

    Yeah, that's correct. Nelson St originally ran straight up along the bank of the Big River to Brewery Road but with the building of the Tralee/Limerick railway in the mid 1800s, Nelson St was diverted to connect with Edward St instead.

    When the Tralee/Dingle railway was built in the late 1800s, a spur was laid along this section of the street from the Tralee/Dingle station (roughly where Hogan's Funeral Home is now on the NCR) to the main railway station on Edward St.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ Pink Fairy


    No political debate, but Ferris doesn't half talk some shïte, no idea why he's taking potshots at Bono, doesn't matter where he pays tax,


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Ciarrai76


    Pink Fairy wrote: »
    No political debate, but Ferris doesn't half talk some shïte, no idea why he's taking potshots at Bono, doesn't matter where he pays tax,

    I do agree that there was no need to comment on Bono etc, its nothing to do with the commemoration.


  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ amadain


    Part 3, this is the third Tralee thread (titttt)


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ Kerrydude1981


    Anyone here with Kerry Broadband,Im a year with them and find them good

    But speeds can be 10Mbps and the can drop to 2Mbps,Im on the Net Basic package and have been told that so many people having this package its causing the speeds to drop in the evening due to heavier traffic

    Been thinking about upgrading to the next package,just wondering is anyone here on the Net Premium and what do you think of it and has it a steady Broadband speed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ g1983d


    Anyone here with Kerry Broadband,Im a year with them and find them good

    But speeds can be 10Mbps and the can drop to 2Mbps,Im on the Net Basic package and have been told that so many people having this package its causing the speeds to drop in the evening due to heavier traffic

    Been thinking about upgrading to the next package,just wondering is anyone here on the Net Premium and what do you think of it and has it a steady Broadband speed.

    I'm with them on the net premium for the last few months and have found from time to time the speed can drop a bit.
    I think the quality of router you have connected makes a big difference too.
    When I got it first it was terrible, I was using a netgear, after a few days I exchanged it for a draytek and it's been much better


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ kn


    There is some kind of incident going on in the social welfare office on Princess Street.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ Kerrydude1981


    g1983d wrote: »
    I'm with them on the net premium for the last few months and have found from time to time the speed can drop a bit.
    I think the quality of router you have connected makes a big difference too.
    When I got it first it was terrible, I was using a netgear, after a few days I exchanged it for a draytek and it's been much better

    Might try that,I have been using a Trendnet router that I got off Permenet when I was with them.

    Spotted this one for sale in Argos

    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4394066/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CWireless+networking%7C14419015/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419015%7CModem+routers%7C14419018.htm


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ Kerrydude1981


    kn wrote: »
    There is some kind of incident going on in the social welfare office on Princess Street.

    Is it not closed today?

    http://traleetoday.ie/50578-2/


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ kn


    Is it not closed today?

    http://traleetoday.ie/50578-2/

    It wasn't when I passed this morning. The caretaker was directing people away from the door, the security gate was closed but behind the security gate the door was opened with staff standing there blocking the view inside. It wasn't anything planned at any rate.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭ xxyyzz


    Anyone here with Kerry Broadband,Im a year with them and find them good

    But speeds can be 10Mbps and the can drop to 2Mbps,Im on the Net Basic package and have been told that so many people having this package its causing the speeds to drop in the evening due to heavier traffic

    Been thinking about upgrading to the next package,just wondering is anyone here on the Net Premium and what do you think of it and has it a steady Broadband speed.

    A few points here. It depends on what mast you are pointing to. Their old mast is on the short mountain (Slieve Mish) and it is very oversubscribed so regardless of what package you are on, it will still die in the evenings between 7 and 11 (netflix o'clock) due to contention.

    Their new mast is up near the dump at Muingnaminnane. I think this has less users on it so the contention should be lower and hence speed should be faster. Not everybody has line of sight to this mast however so they can only connect to the Mish mast.

    Your best bet before changing packages is finding out what mast you are connected to. You can probably tell from the direction your dish is pointing. They never pick up the phone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭ oeb


    xxyyzz wrote: »
    They never pick up the phone.

    I had to phone seven or eight times over a period of two or three weeks. Left multiple messages and emails, none of which were acknowledged. Eventually someone picked up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭ xxyyzz


    oeb wrote: »
    I had to phone seven or eight times over a period of two or three weeks. Left multiple messages and emails, none of which were acknowledged. Eventually someone picked up.

    Your best bet is to log in to the customer portal and log a request there http://client.kerrybroadband.net/sign/


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭ oeb


    xxyyzz wrote: »
    Your best bet is to log in to the customer portal and log a request there http://client.kerrybroadband.net/sign/

    I'm not a customer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ kev_Makaveli


    Got set up with them last week. Have a solid connection of 9mbs most times . Lowest its gone to is 5 in the evenings. I'm on the basic package .. Not sure what mast I'm pointing towards tho. Dish is pointing towards kilflynn area


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Ciarrai76




  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Ciarrai76


    Very sad to hear that Joe Flynn passed away last night. Condolences to his family & friends.
    http://traleetoday.ie/inspirational-joe-flynn-has-passed-away/


  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭ manoverboards


    so where's that map then ?
    Quackster wrote: »
    Yeah, that's correct. Nelson St originally ran straight up along the bank of the Big River to Brewery Road but with the building of the Tralee/Limerick railway in the mid 1800s, Nelson St was diverted to connect with Edward St instead.

    When the Tralee/Dingle railway was built in the late 1800s, a spur was laid along this section of the street from the Tralee/Dingle station (roughly where Hogan's Funeral Home is now on the NCR) to the main railway station on Edward St.


  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ Quaderno


    so where's that map then ?

    http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html
    Select "Base Information and Mapping" --> "Historic Map 6 inch B&W (1837-1842)" and then zoom into Tralee. Those maps are great!


  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ amadain


    Quaderno, superimpose the 6 inch B&W map over a current map to show you why Fairies Cross was named.


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Ciarrai76


    sad to see the old Blennerville school was demolished today.
    http://traleetoday.ie/videophotos-old-blennerville-school-demolished-84-years/


  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ amadain


    Speaking of Fairies Cross earlier so

    The cheapest price in town is €1.19.8 in the both Applegreen stations in Manor Village and Fairies Cross.

    Just behind Applegreen, as they were last month, are Inver on the Castlemaine Road with a price of €1.19.9.
    The joint third cheapest stations on €1.20.9 are – Top Horan Centre, Esso Clash, Esso NCR. The most expensive place to get your petrol is, Texaco, Oakpark – €1.24.9


    1. Applegreen, Fairies Cross – €1.19.8 (diesel €1.04.8) Applegreen, Manor Village – €1.19.8 (diesel €1.04.8) Top, Caherslee – €1.19.8 (diesel €1.04.8)
    2. Inver, Castlemaine Road €1.19.9 (diesel €1.04.9)


    3. Top, Horan Centre – €1.20.9 (diesel €1.04.9) Esso, North Circular Road – €1.20.9 (diesel €1.05.9) Esso, Clash – €1.20.9 (diesel €1.04.9) Inver, Rathass – €1.20.9 (diesel €1.04.9)
    4. Topaz, Manor West – €1.21.9 (diesel €1.06.9) Topaz, Mounthawk – €1.21.9 (diesel €1.06.9) Texaco, Blennerville – €1.21.9 (diesel €105.9)


    5. Amber, Monavalley – €1.22.9 (diesel €1.06.9)
    6. Texaco, Oakpark – €1.24.9 (diesel €1.06.9)


  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ RevBlueJeans


    Those maps on geohive and myplan.ie are really excellent!

    Pembroke St used to extend all the way to the entrance to the chapel at the magdeline laundry. when the ncr was constructed the stretch between the "mono" and balloonagh convent was renamed Caherslee rd.

    Similarly when the old dingle railway alignment was used to construct a new road the entire stretch from the Edward St junction to the Caherslee rd junction was renamed north circular rd.

    When the Matt Talbot road was being constructed in the early 1970's the council ran out of money before it was finished. People began to use the mud track and the Kerry's eye which was in its first year christened it the Ho Chi Ming trail! Some old stock tralee people still call it the Ho Chi.

    The castle bar on the rock is built ear the site of Castle mc ellistrim which can be seen on the maps.

    The maps all refer to Rock Street however griffiths evaluation just calls it "The Rock".


  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Troberto


    amadain wrote: »
    Speaking of Fairies Cross earlier so

    The cheapest price in town is €1.19.8 in the both Applegreen stations in Manor Village and Fairies Cross.

    Just behind Applegreen, as they were last month, are Inver on the Castlemaine Road with a price of €1.19.9.
    The joint third cheapest stations on €1.20.9 are – Top Horan Centre, Esso Clash, Esso NCR. The most expensive place to get your petrol is, Texaco, Oakpark – €1.24.9


    1. Applegreen, Fairies Cross – €1.19.8 (diesel €1.04.8) Applegreen, Manor Village – €1.19.8 (diesel €1.04.8) Top, Caherslee – €1.19.8 (diesel €1.04.8)
    2. Inver, Castlemaine Road €1.19.9 (diesel €1.04.9)


    3. Top, Horan Centre – €1.20.9 (diesel €1.04.9) Esso, North Circular Road – €1.20.9 (diesel €1.05.9) Esso, Clash – €1.20.9 (diesel €1.04.9) Inver, Rathass – €1.20.9 (diesel €1.04.9)
    4. Topaz, Manor West – €1.21.9 (diesel €1.06.9) Topaz, Mounthawk – €1.21.9 (diesel €1.06.9) Texaco, Blennerville – €1.21.9 (diesel €105.9)


    5. Amber, Monavalley – €1.22.9 (diesel €1.06.9)
    6. Texaco, Oakpark – €1.24.9 (diesel €1.06.9)


    Top Caherslee are cheapest.
    They're at 103.8 and 118.8 !!
    I reckon they've been the cheapest since they reopened there. Trying to build up the trade again I suppose. Fab Shop & Deli there too.


  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Ciarrai76


    Troberto wrote: »
    Top Caherslee are cheapest.
    They're at 103.8 and 118.8 !!
    I reckon they've been the cheapest since they reopened there. Trying to build up the trade again I suppose. Fab Shop & Deli there too.

    I popped into spar there last week. It's a lovely store! Would love to see the Oakpark store done up the same way.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭ carchaeologist


    There was an enormous crowd for Joe Flynns removal last night. I'm sure he will get the send off he deserves today.
    RIP to a really nice man.


Advertisement