Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    That end of the town centre is starting to look pretty bleak. Its sad to see so many empty units. You are right in saying they are all pretty small units, apart from the Dunnes one. I don't know what is going to attract bigger named stores to the town centre. I would love to see some new stores open. Nothing more has been said since last year about all these big 'names' who were interested in opening according to Tralee chamber alliance!

I know the timing is not good at the moment, but considering this was over a year ago since this was said in the Kerry's eye, you would think something would have progressed by now! I think Golden Disks was the only name that did open, and even then its hard to know if they will last. Abbey court will be the next area to look pretty bleak if nothing new starts to open!

To be fair all the chamber alliance do is talk. Of all the big ideas they've had have any of them actually worked?

I know they were making noise about the Dunnes units in the Mall but when they tried to put pressure on Dunnes they were pretty much laughed at. When i say they i'm sure you know the single person in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Does anyone remember when dunnes in the Horan center was like a little shopping arcade . I remember going shopping there with my parents and there was a shop there with a Nintendo system on display . Loved playing that while they shipped .

On another note who remembers the garage video game arcade . Was there the health food shop and offie are now . Many a weekend and a few Bob lost in there

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

For people with little babies: Johnson Baby Powder sales have discontinued in the USA and Canada, due to concerns over possible carcinogens in the talc.

They, however, are continuing to sell the product here in Ireland.

Sorry, I don't wish to be alarmist, but if the company thinks it's a problem in North America, should the same consideration not be applied here?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

For people with little babies: Johnson Baby Powder sales have discontinued in the USA and Canada, due to concerns over possible carcinogens in the talc.

Their statement doesn't say that. They say it's due to declining demand and they actually go on to point out it is not a result of ongoing litigation

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

cms88 wrote: »
    To be fair all the chamber alliance do is talk. Of all the big ideas they've had have any of them actually worked?

I know they were making noise about the Dunnes units in the Mall but when they tried to put pressure on Dunnes they were pretty much laughed at. When i say they i'm sure you know the single person in question.

Yes, a lot of talk and no action with them! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,992 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Does anyone remember when dunnes in the Horan center was like a little shopping arcade . I remember going shopping there with my parents and there was a shop there with a Nintendo system on display . Loved playing that while they shipped .

On another note who remembers the garage video game arcade . Was there the health food shop and offie are now . Many a weekend and a few Bob lost in there

With a small H Williams supermarket taking up a large chunk of the property. I also seem to remember a Tesco in there at some stage, but it was years before Tesco bought out Quinnsworth.

Tesco had a few stores around Ireland, and it wasn't economically viable to service them all, so they gave it up as a bad job and pulled out of Ireland altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I think the garage moved across the road after a while next to the American Style chipper. It was lovely to have a place like the garage and the bowling alley in town with the arcade games, I miss places like that - great craic. The current bowling alley has a few games but nothing like the old bowling alley.

Does anyone know why that bowing alley closed down? (across from the Doms)

Sos88sos88 wrote: »
    Their statement doesn't say that. They say it's due to declining demand and they actually go on to point out it is not a result of ongoing litigation

They would say that, wouldn't they?
    Thousands of lawsuits have been filed against the company.
    That's a lot of litigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

There was a Man's Shop there

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

They would say that, wouldn't they?
    Thousands of lawsuits have been filed against the company.
    That's a lot of litigation.

The articles says the founght every case, any case the lost they appeal and won on appeal

• Advertisement

g1983d wrote: »
    The articles says the founght every case, any case the lost they appeal and won on appeal

They produce a cornstarch based baby powder that they're continuing to sell in the US and Canada - no problems with that one.
    The company said that it is distributing the existing stock of the talc to other countries until it runs out...
    Ireland is one of those other countries.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Can we move the baby powder/talk discussion to a different forum please. Not relevant to Tralee. Thanks. MOD

Can we move the baby powder/talk discussion to a different forum please. Not relevant to Tralee. Thanks. MOD

Apologies. Got carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

They produce a cornstarch based baby powder that they're continuing to sell in the US and Canada - no problems with that one.
    The company said that it is distributing the existing stock of the talc to other countries until it runs out...
    Ireland is one of those other countries.

There must be a baby powder thread you can take this to. Cant see what this has to do with the town of Tralee.

Anyone remember the Leisure way?

Good times!!

Sully34 wrote: »

Good times!!

that rings a bell, can't place where though??

that rings a bell, can't place where though??

It's where the CH chemist is now

It's where the CH chemist is now

I have a vague recollection of it. I am 43 and can't seem to remember anywhere before the 90's! :D

I remember that place, a neighbor worked there - loved to call in a visit her as a child when she was working there. I'd forgotten about that place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

I remember all those places, feck I'm old, how did that happen!

The Leisure arcade, bright green front on it, newsagents in the front, there was a bookshop towards the back, Marion Hogan ran it I think, a hairdressers upstairs I'd say, got a very bad haircut there once! Was the closest thing to a bowl cut I had ever had!

Can't remember what else was in there.

Loved a corned beef roll from The Bakers Oven for lunch when I was at school.

Has anyone been watching Mike O'Donnells lockdown videos, his Castle St/The Mall one was very interesting all about what shops were there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

Good times!!

Is that the place that was on oembroke street, used call it the snooker hall but had loads of arcade games and slot machines
    Used love going in there, closed some time in the 00s, had jungle Jim's there too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Good times!!

The Leeeeeshure Way as those with notions liked to pronounce it!

It was a bit of an Aladins cave that place .

g1983d wrote: »
    Is that the place that was on oembroke street, used call it the snooker hall but had loads of arcade games and slot machines
    Used love going in there, closed some time in the 00s, had jungle Jim's there too

That was the snooker hall

Leisure way had newsagents out the front. Bakery in the centre. That Dublin lad who owns Ikon had a shop in there. There was also a pet shop. Upstairs had a hairdressers and a vegetarian restaurant

Is the snooker hall still up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Sos88sos88

bobdcow wrote:
    Is the snooker hall still up and running?

Haven't been there but pre covid they were open for snooker. No idea if they still have arcade games etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I only remember when it was H Williams - not as an arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I have a vague recollection of it. I am 43 and can't seem to remember anywhere before the 90's! :D

That's just the dementia setting in early!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

Yes, a lot of talk and no action with them! :rolleyes:

I sometimes wonder why they're not called up on it. Anything that happens they take credit for it and if it doen't work it they just try to pretend like it never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Saw pictures of Russell Arcade a while back on either Clerys or Kennelly's photo archive.

Advertisement