Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stade Francais vs Munster, Sat 9th January 4:45 Irish time; Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Thats the thing. That quality in quantity is just not there now. No point executing Axel for that.

Sorry for bringing this back to Leinster again, but if you look at the Toulon v Leinster games this season Leinster were organised and competitive in both games, though ultimately outclassed. Leinster don't have the quality to compete with Toulon but they gave it a right go. Munster today were a clueless rabble. No leadership, no organisation, no idea in attack, falling off tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Sorry for bringing this back to Leinster again, but if you look at the Toulon v Leinster games this season Leinster were organised and competitive in both games, though ultimately outclassed. Leinster don't have the quality to compete with Toulon but they gave it a right go. Munster today were a clueless rabble. No leadership, no organisation, no idea in attack, falling off tackles.
    Munster have been suffering the death of a thousand cuts over the last few years. It started with Kidney neglecting the academy and the gradual loss of their leaders, one by one and hoping that a coaching magic bullet would cure all ills.

With POC gone and POM long term injured, the core leadership is missing and Foley's influence can't extend to the pitch.

There will be no quick fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

You'd figure EOS would be fairly hungry to prove himself too. He hasn't exactly been up to much the last 7 yrs and has hardly set the world afire in the gigs he's had since leaving the Irish job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

Then we agree to strongly disagree. ;)

Unreasonable expectation and the weight of history may be another factor weighing down the current setup.

As interested observer hinted at, my expectations don't extend beyond seeing the team I support fulfil their potential and (at least appear) to be well marshalled and led. Even if their full potential is merely to contend in the pro12 so be it.

But you're right about the weight of history for sure.

I didn't think that pass was forward. TMO made the decision on that way too quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

I didn't think that pass was forward. TMO made the decision on that way too quickly.

Yea and the third try for Stade looked more forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I actually feel sorry for Foley. It clearly is beyond him and it's killing him. He needs real help from an experienced coach.

You'd wonder what Eddie o Sullivan has done wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ulster slotted Kiss in above Doak, moving the latter to skills coach. Seems to have worked.

By accounts Eddie is more a tactician than a manager so perhaps an alternative move for Munster would be bringing him in under Foley as backs coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭damemcd

ROG was talking some bull on Friday about the bonus point for Munster who badly need to open de wallet and get somebody solid in at 10 like Jimmy Gobbereth..

Excuse the spelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

damemcd wrote: »
    ROG was talking some bull on Friday about the bonus point for Munster who badly need to open de wallet and get somebody solid in at 10 like Jimmy Gobbereth..

Gopperth would have been a good signing for munster...

Munster
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ulster slotted Kiss in above Doak, moving the latter to skills coach. Seems to have worked.

By accounts Eddie is more a tactician than a manager so perhaps an alternative move for Munster would be bringing him in under Foley as backs coach.

Doak was always an interim selection, it was clear from the outset.

Foley would be swallowing an Olympic size swimming pool worth of pride having someone come in over him now.

Did the business with a poor Newcastle team ,then solid at Leinster and again doing the business across the water.A solid performing 10 today would have settled the boat today, slotted the penalties and not hoofed ball out on the full.Not really Keatleys fault cos no one really ever thought he was up to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

damemcd wrote: »
    Did the business with a poor Newcastle team ,then solid at Leinster and again doing the business across the water.A solid performing 10 today would have settled the boat today, slotted the penalties and not hoofed ball out on the full.Not really Keatleys fault cos no one really ever thought he was up to it...

I do feel sorry for keatley, its not his fault and he is now getting an absolute mauling. He is a good pro but just not up to the high standard required.

A decent lad by all accounts but at outhalf away to a Clermont,a Toulon or even an unconvincing SF team.... on this years form.... he just doesn't cut it and its worrying that Foley doesn't seem to get that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A chap called Sean Dougall scored a nice try for Pau last night. Could be one to watch out for if Pau go down...

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Almost everything has been said, except letting Hanrahan go. In just a few full time appearances he has shown the worth of being part of a proper professional management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

BarryM wrote: »
    Almost everything has been said, except letting Hanrahan go. In just a few full time appearances he has shown the worth of being part of a proper professional management.
    Oh JJ where art thou ?

Steve Crosbie in the Leinster academy looks to be losing out to Cathal Marsh. His family is from Cork too, so he'd be a Munster lad really. ;)

Might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭redmca2

Can someone clarify exactly why Munster were blocked from signing Stephen Moore??

The country are awash with good hookers so what is the logic of the IRFU?

At this stage I assume Moore wouldn't want to join anyway .....................

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

redmca2 wrote: »
    Can someone clarify exactly why Munster were blocked from signing Stephen Moore??

Moore turned down the offer from Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Steve Crosbie in the Leinster academy looks to be losing out to Cathal Marsh. His family is from Cork too, so he'd be a Munster lad really. ;)

Might be worth a look.

Very similiar player to Scannell, not really what Munster need.

I think a lack of leadership in the side is an obvious problem at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Jamie Heaslip
    redmca2 wrote: »

Munster wanted to pay him more than the IRFU were willing to allow, apparently because he could still be away with Australia, and the final offer wasn't nearly enough.

He then joined Queensland rather than going to France or Japan so he wasn't even chasing big bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Jamie Heaslip
    A chap called Sean Dougall scored a nice try for Pau last night. Could be one to watch out for if Pau go down...

Dear God no. No no no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster's try shouldn't have been awarded either. The sub hooker offloaded it with his feet in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Jamie Heaslip
    Bring back ROG as a Player/Coach...I'll get my coat...:D

shuffol wrote: »
    Very similiar player to Scannell, not really what Munster need.

I think a lack of leadership in the side is an obvious problem at the minute.
    Munster need a bit of depth. Maybe Crosbie isn't the answer, but there's no denying that there's a problem at 10. Keatley I believe would make a better 12. When he doesn't have the pressure of out half on his shoulders he seems to loosen up and has made some great breaks from there when he's come on or started in the centre.

The stats from yesterday's match make depressing reading: 27 missed tackles and 16 turnovers conceded. The one that strikes me most is 6 clean breaks and 6 defenders beaten, yet only one (dubious) try.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Might be worth a look.

Crosbie losing out to Marsh and Byrne who also started this year. He'd be a decent shout alright. One of the biggest problems in munster is you don't even lose Keatley all that often. So an understudy doesn't get a chance to take over. (JJ would have won that game yesterday).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It was forward. And Murrays try shouldn't have been awarded either as Scannell was clearly in touch before offloading to Murray.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    It was forward. And Murrays try shouldn't have been awarded either as Scannell was clearly in touch before offloading to Murray.
    It was marginally forward, but I don't think any allowance was given for the momentum of the ball before being passed. We've seen passes like that allowed in the past.

I'd agree on Murray's try but the TV pictures never clearly showed Scannell's left foot in touch. It was implied certainly but never actually shown. His right foot was off the ground.

Advertisement