Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The full line out is as follows;
    1. Darren Gleeson Portroe
    2. Cathal Barrett Holycross-Ballycahill
    3. Tom s Hamill Moyne-Templetuohy
    4. Michael Cahill Thurles Sarsfields
    5. Barry Heffernan Nenagh ire g
    6. Ronan Maher -Thurles Sarsfields
    7. Padraic Maher Thurles Sarsfields
    8. Brendan Maher (Capt.) Borris-Ileigh
    9. Michael Breen Ballina
    10. Noel McGrath Loughmore-Castleiney
    11. Kieran Bergin Killenaule
    12. Patrick Maher Lorrha-Dorrha
    13. Adrian Ryan Templederry Kenyons
    14. John McGrath Loughmore-Castleiney
    15. Niall O Meara Kilruane MacDonaghs
    Subs:
    16. Brian Hogan Lorrha Dorrha
    17. James Barry Upperchurch-Drombane
    18. Seamus Callanan Drom & Inch
    19. Dan McCormack Borris-Ileigh
    20. Liam McGrath Loughmore-Castleiney
    21. Kieran Morris Moycarkey-Borris
    22. Conor O Brien ire g Annacarty
    23. John O Dwyer Killenaule
    24. Daire Quinn Nenagh ire g
    25. Gear id Ryan Templederry Kenyons
    26. Willie Ryan Clonakenny

• Registered Users Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads could Breen do a job at centre back?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I think Barry is our bets option for both full and center back - just a pity we don't have two like him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

left after us today, worked hard to create goal chances and than seemed to work even harder to miss them.
    when given space we will hit points from any angle, but when space is denied our strength and skill seem poor.

Lads is John Meagher injured? I dont think Hamill is the answer to full back. he gets caught miles out the field and has no pace whatsover.

Where is Fitzelle gone? Surely Paul Maher should be no 2 goalie? Also Tom Fox was flying it last year but isnt even on the panel.

Overall today the lads deserve credit today for perservering when all looked lost. Super point from Bubbles.

Setback for our footballers today. Big pressure against Kildare now and Sligo. We need to pull something massive out of the hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

left after us today, worked hard to create goal chances and than seemed to work even harder to miss them.
    when given space we will hit points from any angle, but when space is denied our strength and skill seem poor.

Why does a player have to raise the ball in the middle of the square and miss ? All that was needed was to hit the ball on the ground !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

I think Barry is our bets option for both full and center back - just a pity we don't have two like him...

Ya think hamill has done alright there but i would have barry in there for the championship and stick with ronan at centreback.if hamill fills out a bit next year and learns as he is going i would be trying him in the league again next year with a view to starting him in the championship next year.
    Mcgrath,ronan,breen,hamill,barrett were all on the minor team 2012 im sure im missing someone as well but not a bad return off that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

buggy beag wrote: »
    Ya think hamill has done alright there but i would have barry in there for the championship and stick with ronan at centreback.if hamill fills out a bit next year and learns as he is going i would be trying him in the league again next year with a view to starting him in the championship next year.
    Mcgrath,ronan,breen,hamill,barrett were all on the minor team 2012 im sure im missing someone as well but not a bad return off that team.

My worry for Hamill wouldn't be filling out but that he's too slow for intercounty and no time is going to significantly improve that. In fairness i don't think he's done much wrong but he hasn't been properly tested either.

It's almost the exact same scenario KK had last year with Joey Holden and they stuck with him. While i still think he can be exploited no one has done it yet

OAOB wrote: »
    My worry for Hamill wouldn't be filling out but that he's too slow for intercounty and no time is going to significantly improve that. In fairness i don't think he's done much wrong but he hasn't been properly tested either.

It's almost the exact same scenario KK had last year with Joey Holden and they stuck with him. While i still think he can be exploited no one has done it yet

Spot on. James Barry and John Meagher aside we have Breen, Paudie who can fill in the full back slot. perhaps Ronan Maher also

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Spot on. James Barry and John Meagher aside we have Breen, Paudie who can fill in the full back slot. perhaps Ronan Maher also

Ye have tried Paudie in the past and it has not suited him at all. Breen looked very good at full back for the U21s in the past but I feel he is shaping up to be your main man at midfield and playing well in the centre so it would be a mistake to interfere with that. Looking at how Seamus Harnedy took Joey Holden to the cleaners last Saturday, Hamill is likely to get fully tested by him this weekend. I think James Barry is still the main candidate.

• Advertisement

I can't see why Hamill would start every game in the league at full back and then be dropped for the first round of championship. He's a nailed on starter imo barring injury aslong as he has a decent game against Cork.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote:
    I can't see why Hamill would start every game in the league at full back and then be dropped for the first round of championship. He's a nailed on starter imo barring injury aslong as he has a decent game against Cork.

Maybe to just expose him to it at a high level but not championship level with a view that he will be our full back from next year on?

Maybe to just expose him to it at a high level but not championship level with a view that he will be our full back from next year on?

Unlikely, Michael Ryan needs to best prepare for this season, I think we wants to play Barry in the half back line and has earmarked Hamill for full back. He's done ok to be fare to him.

Barry is not a natural full back, doesn't play there for the club, I'd be worried if suddenly he was dropped back in there for the first championship game. It wouldn't reflect well on Michael Ryan either and won't do Hamill's confidence any good.

Will be a good test for him against Cork and if he comes through it I'd fully expect him to start come championship.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Hard to know.barry might not be a natural full back but he can most definitely do a job there and at the minute i would have him in there instead of hamill.think next season we will see the best of tom but thats not to say he wont be starting either.
    You would wonder this sunday wheter the same cork team will show up.as last week considering they are already in the relegation final.might be good time for them to rest certain players or try certain new players so might not be the best test for young hamill this sunday.
    What would your defense be them barrett,hamill,cahill
    P Maher,barry,r maher

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Barrett was overage in 2012. He was on it the 2 years previous. Fitzelle was centre forward for the replay & Sean Maher was full forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Unlikely, Michael Ryan needs to best prepare for this season, I think we wants to play Barry in the half back line and has earmarked Hamill for full back. He's done ok to be fare to him.

Barry is not a natural full back, doesn't play there for the club, I'd be worried if suddenly he was dropped back in there for the first championship game. It wouldn't reflect well on Michael Ryan either and won't do Hamill's confidence any good.

Will be a good test for him against Cork and if he comes through it I'd fully expect him to start come championship.

James Barry is our best full back without question, Hamill while he is doing fine & holding his own is still a bit green as was shown in the last 10 mins of the Waterford match. He will be good back up but I am almost certain the full back line will be Barrett, Barry & Cahill. Paudie & Ronan Maher in the half back line then with probably Bergin, Heffernan to challenge. The midfield will probably stay the same as last Sunday. John McGrath, Bubbles, Callanan are imo definite's to start with Noel, Bonnar & Forde the next 3 favorites to make up the 6 forwards. Niall O Meara first sub in the forwards with Dan McCormack next by the looks of things.

Tyson Fury wrote: »

If that's the case its an early summer for us. He is in no way cut out for senior intercounty. Harsh but true. He was caught wandering numerous occasions on Sunday.

He would want to stop persisting with Kenny or McCormack too. Both have offered nothing, but both highly rated ? :confused:

If next weeks match v cork was the championship would everyone on here start with or without bonnar?
    Never i thought i would be asking that question but his slump in form warrants it i think.

dcrosskid wrote:
    Barrett was overage in 2012. He was on it the 2 years previous. Fitzelle was centre forward for the replay & Sean Maher was full forward.

Cheers lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Are you serious.? Ronan Maher full back? Paudie full back? Do you not remember the Gal way game in 14? Breen is doing fine at midfield why move him. John Meagher gets better every game he doesn't play. Totally unproven at this level. Barry is our full back with tossy as back up.

• Advertisement

Are you serious.? Ronan Maher full back? Paudie full back? Do you not remember the Gal way game in 14? Breen is doing fine at midfield why move him. John Meagher gets better every game he doesn't play. Totally unproven at this level. Barry is our full back with tossy as back up.

Tossy cant move his legs and wanders miles out the field?! Were you in Salthill on Sunday? The amount of times Galway had space in behind the half backs with a full back gone missing was cruel.

Meagher should at least have been tried this league campaign and yes im using underage as the only barometer but im still confident he offers alot more then Hamill. He is a brilliant catcher and is a far better reader of the game and he has a bit more toughness and pace. The league was for trying out new players but it would seem Ryan is set on players who are clearly not going to amount to anything and it may be too late to do anything about it by the time he realises.

The manager has made some utterly bizarre choices since the beginning of the league and now because of these decisions we're staring down the barrel of Div 1B. It would seem he is reading Premier-view for ideas in team selection because he is picking the likes of Dan McCormack and Conor Kenny who were never actually any good at underage for Tipp to begin with. Ken Hogans son is sub goalie ahead of Paul Maher??

Im not saying move Breen, or play Ronan or Paudie back there but what i am saying is that id play all of those before id play Hamill. Yes Paudie had a bad game v Johnny Glynn in 2014, but id still prefer him back there then a slow lad who goes walkabout. If your not fast then at least hold your damn position.

If next weeks match v cork was the championship would everyone on here start with or without bonnar?
    Never i thought i would be asking that question but his slump in form warrants it i think.

With Bonnar. People can knock him but i can guarantee that alot more dirty ball is turned over in the opposition 40 then when he isnt there. It came out as quick as it came in on Sunday. Yes, his finishing leaves alot to be desired and he really needs to improve on this but in order for him to improve he needs games. Our 1A future relies on a strong performance on Sunday and for that we arguably need our strongest team. At the end of the day it wouldnt be the end of the world to relegate but at the same time id rather be playing Kilkenny, Galway, Dublin and Waterford next year in the run up to the championship then (with all due respect) the likes of Kerry, Laois or Offaly.

Hard to know.barry might not be a natural full back but he can most definitely do a job there and at the minute i would have him in there instead of hamill.think next season we will see the best of tom but thats not to say he wont be starting either.
    You would wonder this sunday wheter the same cork team will show up.as last week considering they are already in the relegation final.might be good time for them to rest certain players or try certain new players so might not be the best test for young hamill this sunday.
    What would your defense be them barrett,hamill,cahill
    P Maher,barry,r maher

If we win next Sunday we are more or less safe unless Galway go apeshít against Waterford (+8 vs -5 thus far).

Our comfortable win over Dublin the first night is the difference really. Id take no chances, strongest team possible, go out and win. Cork are playing for confidence and pride now so id imagine will have a proper go Sunday having being buoyed by putting Kilkenny up by the pin of their collar. We need to get a monkey off our back Sunday. Hoping to see Seamie/Forde or both at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Ken Hogans son is sub goalie ahead of Paul maher .

Is the sub goalie not mooney from annacarthy?

Is the sub goalie not mooney from annacarthy?

Mooney was on the panel for the first two games but it has been Brian Hogan the last two games. in fairness to Mooney he has trimmed up and has came on an awful lot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

No matter what happens on Sunday Cork will be in a relegation play-off. It doesn't leave them with much incentive.

feargale wrote: »
    No matter what happens on Sunday Cork will be in a relegation play-off. It doesn't leave them with much incentive.

They shouldnt be taken lightly. They are Cork after all.

With Bonnar. People can knock him but i can guarantee that alot more dirty ball is turned over in the opposition 40 then when he isnt there. It came out as quick as it came in on Sunday. Yes, his finishing leaves alot to be desired and he really needs to improve on this but in order for him to improve he needs games. Our 1A future relies on a strong performance on Sunday and for that we arguably need our strongest team. At the end of the day it wouldnt be the end of the world to relegate but at the same time id rather be playing Kilkenny, Galway, Dublin and Waterford next year in the run up to the championship then (with all due respect) the likes of Kerry, Laois or Offaly.

Ya i thought bonnar had finally cracked the finishing part of his game last year or 2.really came on leaps and bounds with it.this year he doesn't seem to get in close enough always pulling the trigger to early but its still early in the year with a heavy pitch so in harder ground we will probably see a different bonnar(we hope anyway?.
    If everyone was fit and availble who would you have as your starting front 6 tg?
    Interesting point on premierview that maybe we should be playing certain formations similar to wford and kk.we should definitely being doing something different to close out games anyway.thoughts?

Defense has seven players:

Barrett Hamill Cahill
    Barry
    Heffernan Ronan Maher Padi Maher
    Midfield:
    Breen along with Bergin (or Bren Maher if Bergin isn't an option there)
    Forwards:
    McGrath oDwyer
    McGrath Callanan O Meara

Would go with a 1,3,1,3,2,2,3 formation. Not for the traditionalists but it's how a lot of intercounty and club teams line up these days! Was in a dressing room recently and d manager says ur wearing 15 but ur playing centre back along with..! It worked we won and the opposition hadn't a clue how we seemed to have players everywhere.

It bypasses our half forward problem by reducing em. Midfield can double up as half forwards when the back is there meaning we can have four there at times.

note;i copied and pasted this from premierview just to give an idea of what I was saying in my above post.thought anyone or do people feel we do something similar anyway or should we be doing this a lot more when we are leading and clock is ticking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Problem is that while we skip out our half forward line we still haven't consistent ball winners in our full forward line. Also the opposition half back line will have more space to drive the ball in to their forwards so could bypass Barry.

I don't think we need to over complicate it, we need to win more 50/50 ball. Anyone know why Bergin was taken off at half time last weekend, he could be the exact type player we need up there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement