Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

Id say he'll be back for Sunday (football-hurling double header in Semple stadium btw for those who are unaware).

That said its not a bad thing to try out new lads. Cody has done it last year and they've come on immensely this year. We have to be patient. That said again Callanan does need competitive action too to keep him ticking over.

Hopefully we'll see a few of the Mary I boys too. Id start John Meagher. I dont buy these plaudits Hamill is getting. Meagher is streets ahead of him in terms of quality. Id try Seamus Kennedy and Stephen O'Brien too where possible

jack Peters would be worth a try also

Really hope Stephen is nowhere near the hurling first team and is back playing big ball to show off his talents.

Like Brendan Cummins, plenty of years ahead of him for hurling

Paddico wrote: »
    Really hope Stephen is nowhere near the hurling first team and is back playing big ball to show off his talents.

Like Brendan Cummins, plenty of years ahead of him for hurling

Well if he has thrown his lot in, i hope he at least gets a go. He is some footballer though as you quite rightly pointed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Both half back lines in the Fitzgibbon cup contained 6 Tipp men - including Jason Ford at center back for UL

I think Paudie should have been dropped just to give him a kick up the hole for one week...

Very quick to move Brendan to midfield after one bad game...that's worrying - doesn't exactly show faith
    Maybe, James Maher was that good or is that good...-
    No Quinn - ****ed out after one game...how's is he supposed to learn his trade at that craic? Here, play KK - oh, see ya....

I want to see reason behind decisions - Ryan should know who he wants to develop at this stage - been looking at them long enough...- I'll wait to see what he does with selections for the rest of the league.

We didn't have the variation to work points against KK- direct is fine but if can't win it there's no point. You need to have variation and be able to work that ball in... - Waterford crowd the defence - will need variation to beat that defence and be able to take long range points. that will mean moving john McGrath, Noelie, bubbles, Seamie further out the field to take those scores - not ideal for this time of year - otherwise they'll be crowded out...

Don't think Dan deserves the go at center forward - i thought kenny was better the last day and probably should be tried at wing forwad because of his ball winning and pointing taking ability... - Ryan obviously likes the look of Dan Mac so up to Dan to reward the faith - i hope he does.

I would like to see John McGrath tried at midfield at some point too - i think he would bring a Tommy Dunne like know-how to midfield which is badly needed. I know he is doing the biz in the corner but our midfield looks poor... - particularly, in terms of creativity, and John has that and long range ability...

If we get to a semi-final this year - I'd be happy with that. Almost fifty years of experience gone from the panel due to retirements and what not. It will take two to three years to build this team as far as I can see. We're trying to develop a full-back - center back - a wing back - a midfield - a centre-forward and wing forward. It's a big project. Basically we're trying to reivent the spine of the team and it looks like it will take time...

Ryan, maybe, is having second thoughts on the footballers he persuaded to join - or, maybe, he is a man who likes to play his championship hands close to his chest. He certainly was brave enough to withdraw Tipp from the pre-league tournament. We'll see how this develops...maybe, he is boxing clever...

At the moment, at this early time of year - long way to go yet. But the way i see it developing is - Waterford to win this game and the Munster Championship. KK's All-Ireland to lose again, I think Waterford will be their biggest obstacle but I don't think Waterford are ready yet - Maybe next year or the following year.

[font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]1. Darren Gleeson Portroe
    2. Cathal Barrett Holycross-Ballycahill
    3. Tom s Hamill Moyne-Templetuohy
    4. Michael Cahill Thurles Sarsfields
    5. Barry Heffernan Nenagh ire g
    6. Ronan Maher -Thurles Sarsfields
    7. Padraic Maher Thurles Sarsfields
    8. Brendan Maher (Capt.) Borris-Ileigh
    9. Michael Breen Ballina
    10. Noel McGrath Loughmore-Castleiney
    11. Dan McCormack -Borris-Ileigh
    12. Patrick Maher Lorrha-Dorrha
    13. John O Dwyer Killenaule
    14. Seamus Callanan -Drom & Inch
    15. John McGrath Loughmore-Castleiney[/font]

[font=Arial, Tahoma, Verdana]Subs:
    16. Darragh Mooney ire g Annacarty
    17. Kieran Bergin Killenaule
    18. Andrew Coffey -Nenagh ire g
    19. Conor Kenny Borris-Ileigh
    20. Liam McGrath Loughmore-Castleiney
    21. Conor O Brien ire g Annacarty
    22. Niall O Meara -Kilruane MacDonaghs
    23. Daire Quinn Nenagh ire g
    24. Adrian Ryan Templederry Kenyons
    25. Liam Ryan Drom & Inch
    26. Willie Ryan Clonakenny

[/font]

1. Stephen O'Keeffe (Ballygunner)

2. Shane Fives (Tourin)

3. Barry Coughlan (Ballygunner)

4. Noel Connors (Passage)

5. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)

6. Darragh Fives (Tourin)

7. Philip Mahony (Ballygunner)

8. Jamie Barron (Fourmilewater)

23. Mikey Kearney (Ballyduff Upper)

10. Kevin Moran (De La Salle) - Captain

11. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)

12. Michael Walsh (Stradbally)

13. Patrick Curran (Dungarvan)

14. Jake Dillon (De La Salle)

15. Colin Dunford (Colligan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Best of luck to the cahir intermediate camogie club in the all ireland final today, hon the slash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Callanan out with a broken toe.

Give Tipp a chance to have a look at Lim McGrath or Kenny again... have to look for the positive I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Well done to Tipperary
    Final Score. Tipperary...2.11........Offaly...0.12

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

[font=Arial, sans-serif]1 change on Tipp SH team v Waterford - Liam McGrath replaces the injured Seamus Callanan, Kieran Morris added to the subs[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Callanan out with a broken toe.

It's his hamstring. Not sure where the broken toe has come from. More of a precaution than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Congrats to CAHIR CAMOGIE CLUB on a famous win in the all Ireland intermediate camogie final today .... Hon the slasherettes

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

God this is horrible to watch.i should have stayed in bed.

Full-Time: Waterford 1-18 Tipperary 1-17

buggy beag wrote: »
    God this is horrible to watch.i should have stayed in bed.
    Verdict?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's not easy playing against this Waterford side but the same problems seem to exist, poor half forward line, no centre forward, very poor in the air, still searching for a centre back, lack of physicality.

I know we created enough chances to win today but we still seem very weak down the middle and hopefully we'll see a few changes the next day with games running out.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Verdict? Tipp are guilty of some real shabby hurling over the last 2 games.
    I fear for us this year, ryan has too many new players to introduce which is very difficult but add in the 3 Ryans poor form and it looks fairly certain you can rule tipp out in the race of liam.

I know you can say we lost to kk and waterford in close games but you must remember Tipp are the ones with the new manager. Worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

glued wrote: »
    It's his hamstring. Not sure where the broken toe has come from. More of a precaution than anything else.

Heard it from a reliable source, either way he's badly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We have about 55 mins before we implode. Need more games in the legs..not to mention poor passing in general, a lot of work to be done yet !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,160 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Once again they didn't take chances. It's a huge drawback. Didn't win much ball in the second half either

• Advertisement

Verdict?

Piss poor game.god it was horrible to watch.how come conor kenny wasn't brought on?.game was crying out for height in our forward line.
    God poor bonnar is really off form lately.have we seen the best of him already.would sticking him in corner forward be an option?
    Thought young mcgrath(john)is really staking a claim for a championship start and on what i have seen previously and this year he has it in the bag.what to do with big brother though.could he work out at centre forward?
    Thought breen done well in midfield.took his point well and wasnt afraid to have a go but he tired very fast second half but this time of year and way pitches are it is explainable.if he could get more stamina and train the shooting eye he could be a serious midfielder but duno who goes in beside him as bren maher is another player playing well below his own standard.maybe the last few years of trying him in different positions is affecting him.bergin may be an option beside breen,
    Missing seamie and forde but they were missing de burca,maurice and o mahony so that kind of levelled it out.
    Seems we are trying to play a more direct ball when we still havn't the players to play it.
    P.s. we seriously need to learn to tackle properly and stopping giving teams easy points from frees.

Piss poor game.god it was horrible to watch.how come conor kenny wasn't brought on?.game was crying out for height in our forward line.
    God poor bonnar is really off form lately.have we seen the best of him already.would sticking him in corner forward be an option?
    Thought young mcgrath(john)is really staking a claim for a championship start and on what i have seen previously and this year he has it in the bag.what to do with big brother though.could he work out at centre forward?
    Thought breen done well in midfield.took his point well and wasnt afraid to have a go but he tired very fast second half but this time of year and way pitches are it is explainable.if he could get more stamina and train the shooting eye he could be a serious midfielder but duno who goes in beside him as bren maher is another player playing well below his own standard.maybe the last few years of trying him in different positions is affecting him.bergin may be an option beside breen,
    Missing seamie and forde but they were missing de burca,maurice and o mahony so that kind of levelled it out.
    Seems we are trying to play a more direct ball when we still havn't the players to play it.
    P.s. we seriously need to learn to tackle properly and stopping giving teams easy points from frees.

I agree with you on 99% of that post and in particular our tendency to give away stupid frees but not on Conor Kenny. Got his chance against Kilkenny and completely lacked movement. Joey Holden had too easy a day of it and no surprise Kenny was the first to get the curly finger. Dan McCormack not good enough either. If these lads were with a south club they'd be banished without a trace if they'd even get that far to begin with.

I agree with you on 99% of that post and in particular our tendency to give away stupid frees but not on Conor Kenny. Got his chance against Kilkenny and completely lacked movement. Joey Holden had too easy a day of it and no surprise Kenny was the first to get the curly finger. Dan McCormack not good enough either. If these lads were with a south club they'd be banished without a trace if they'd even get that far to begin with.

Ya i agree about kenny tg in that he is very limited but just for this particular game in the absence of seamie i felt his height would have been an advantage with the high balls we were raining down on top of our forwards.
    Ya i havn't seen anything from mccormack yet that would say he has a future at the min. so not looking to good for him at this stage.
    Any word on why fitzelle wasn't involved sunday?wouldn't mind seen him again.
    At the minute if we were playing cork tomorrow i would probably go with seamie full forward with j mcgrath one side and either bonnar or niall o meara the other side.noel centre foward with bubbles and forde either side of him.i know alot of people might disagree with that but i just feel as of today thats the best we have so really hoping over the next few months a couple more start stepping up.

Ya i agree about kenny tg in that he is very limited but just for this particular game in the absence of seamie i felt his height would have been an advantage with the high balls we were raining down on top of our forwards.
    Ya i havn't seen anything from mccormack yet that would say he has a future at the min. so not looking to good for him at this stage.

Any word on why fitzelle wasn't involved sunday?wouldn't mind seen him again.
    At the minute if we were playing cork tomorrow i would probably go with seamie full forward with j mcgrath one side and either bonnar or niall o meara the other side.noel centre foward with bubbles and forde either side of him.i know alot of people might disagree with that but i just feel as of today thats the best we have so really hoping over the next few months a couple more start stepping up.

Fitzelle came on against Dublin and scored an outstanding point out near the sideline and wasnt seen since :rolleyes:

Id have John Meagher start against Galway instead of Hamill. Tbh i think Barry Heffernan done ok yesterday so should get another crack at 7. Shuffle the deck and keep them all hungry. Im starting to wonder is Brendan and Paudie in too much of a comfort zone? Is it perhaps better to give new lads a go and keep everyone on their toes? I can guarantee that Cody would do it.

Fitzelle came on against Dublin and scored an outstanding point out near the sideline and wasnt seen since

Id have John Meagher start against Galway instead of Hamill. Tbh i think Barry Heffernan done ok yesterday so should get another crack at 7. Shuffle the deck and keep them all hungry. Im starting to wonder is Brendan and Paudie in too much of a comfort zone? Is it perhaps better to give new lads a go and keep everyone on their toes? I can guarantee that Cody would do it.

Ya i know was a cracking point and thought he would have came on second half v kk but it never happened and then he wasn't even on the panel v wford is was suprised.thought he might have been injured then but havn't heard or seen anything about it.
    Ya thought heffernan done alright.kept getting him mixed up with paudie because of the helmet in the 1st half but he done alright.ya probably worth another look but he has big competition there.
    Ya hard to know isn't it.not long ago they were right up there with the best half backs in the country and now we are debating wheter they should be dropped.i feel for bren maher.one thing that could be never levelled against him is a lack of workrate and commitment but it just doesn't seem to happen for him lately.maybe a victim of his versability?that injury he got?
    Ya same with paudie,just so hard to know what is the solution isn't it.but your right cody wouldn't stomach it but are we in a position due to lack of quality players that it would be more harmful than good to drop them?
    Remeber from my playing days(long time ago)that at one club one just knew you were one of the better players there(modest to)and that even if you missed training you would still get picked whereas at another club where you knew there was alot of players there the same or better than you then you trained your bolix off hard as you can to try and make the team the weekend.you would wonder is that similar to tipp and kk because complacency can definitely set in in any sport if your not kept on your toes by someone snapping at your heels and driving you on to be the best that you can be and to maintain it.

Ya i know was a cracking point and thought he would have came on second half v kk but it never happened and then he wasn't even on the panel v wford is was suprised.thought he might have been injured then but havn't heard or seen anything about it.
    Ya thought heffernan done alright.kept getting him mixed up with paudie because of the helmet in the 1st half but he done alright.ya probably worth another look but he has big competition there.
    Ya hard to know isn't it.not long ago they were right up there with the best half backs in the country and now we are debating wheter they should be dropped.i feel for bren maher.one thing that could be never levelled against him is a lack of workrate and commitment but it just doesn't seem to happen for him lately.maybe a victim of his versability?that injury he got?
    Ya same with paudie,just so hard to know what is the solution isn't it.but your right cody wouldn't stomach it but are we in a position due to lack of quality players that it would be more harmful than good to drop them?
    Remeber from my playing days(long time ago)that at one club one just knew you were one of the better players there(modest to)and that even if you missed training you would still get picked whereas at another club where you knew there was alot of players there the same or better than you then you trained your bolix off hard as you can to try and make the team the weekend.you would wonder is that similar to tipp and kk because complacency can definitely set in in any sport if your not kept on your toes by someone snapping at your heels and driving you on to be the best that you can be and to maintain it.

Sometimes time out helps re-energise players. Shane McGrath 2013 v Shane 2014 being a case in.point. We have a lot in the backs that can be tried out in any point. Reckon we'll see big improvements week on week now

Anybody watch the toughest trade last night.thought it was very good.hats off to the young lad wearing the im fecking freisian t shirt with the pic of the cow on it.brillant.

Tipp team to play Kerry tonight

1. Jake McDonald - Clonmel Commercials

2. Colm O'Shaughnessy - Ardfinnan

3. Jimmy Feehan (Capt.)- Killenaule

4. Danny Owens - Moyle Rovers

5. Ross Mulcahy - Moyle Rovers

6. Kevin Fahey - Clonmel Commercials

7. Shane O'Connell - Golden-Kilfeacle

8. Paul Shanahan - Upperchurch-Drombane

9. Liam Casey - Cahir

10. Emmet Moloney - Drom & Inch

11. Jack Kennedy - Clonmel Commercials

12. Josh Keane - Golden-Kilfeacle

13. Paul Maher - Kilsheelan-Kilcash

14. Stephen Quirke - Moyle Rovers

15. Tommy Nolan - Drom & Inch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Has their been a slow down of the young talented footballers coming through?

Just saw our minors have had a few bad defeats in leinster this year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Has their been a slow down of the young talented footballers coming through?

Just saw our minors have had a few bad defeats in leinster this year.

Wouldnt go by that. In 2011, we actually done pretty stink in the Minor Leinster league iirc and ended up winning the minor all ireland.

The big thing this year will be the dual issue though. Liam Cahill has drawn a line in the sand with the Minors. Straight choice boys - Hurling or Football. Tbh while we did get to both finals last year, it may be better for preparation in the long run. I think the dual thing may be the big issue in terms of the perceived dry up. At this time of year, lads are playing schools hurling and football. Is the dual thing as big an issue in some of the Leinster counties that we are up against in the Minor league?

i would think the future of Tipperary football is fairly bright. Dont forget first of all that Clonmel qualified for the A munster schools final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement