Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TIPPERARY: D Gleeson; C Barrett, T Hamill, M Cahill; B Maher, J Barry, P draic Maher (0-02); M Breen, D Quinn; D McCormack, Patrick Maher, J Forde (1-05); N McGrath (0-02), C Kenny (0-03), J McGrath (0-07, 5f). [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subs: D Fitzelle (0-01) for Patrick Maher (47), J Gallagher for Breen (58), J O Dwyer (0-03) for McCormack (58), J Meagher for B Maher (66), L Ryan for Quinn (67).[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DUBLIN: C Dooley; J Boland, E O Donnell, O Gough; C O Callaghan, C Crummy, S Barrett; N McMorrow (0-02), J McCaffrey; D Plunkett (0-01), E Dillon (0-01), D Treacy (0-03f); D O Callaghan (0-01), P Ryan (0-01f), M Schutte (0-01).[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Subs: C Cronin (0-01) for Ryan (h.t.), D O Connell (0-01) for Plunkett (48), O O Rorke for O Callaghan (59), F McGibb for McCaffrey (63)[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice little cameo from bubbles

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Crazy decision to kick it long from the kick out after kicking it short all game. All they had to do is win possession. Bizarre

Thought the exact same myself. Maybe goal keeper was afraid of a turnover close to the goal.
    Having said that midfield should have done more to win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

FULL TIME = Tipperary 1-23 Dublin 0-12

Not much learned tonight - will find out a whole lot next week...

Hope he tries a few new heads...
    How do you mean a few new heads?

He tried Hamill Quinn and Mca orma k from the start and introduced Fitzell and Liam Ryan. We learned that we are a lot better than when we got comprehensively beaten 12 months ago by the dubs.

I mean a few new heads. Keep trying lads - there are more lads there. John [font=Roboto, sans-serif]Meagher, Fitzelle from the beginning (Dublin well beat by the time they came on), Barry Heffernan, Steven O'Brien - keep blooding them - keep introducing more - especially against Kilkenny. [/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]Dublin are not a good team - we didn't learn anything. KK is more of a test and, yet, it is very early in the year. But, it will be a good test of lads psychology and resolve = particularly, the new lads. [/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]Dublin beat us last year in the league and went nowhere afterwards in the championship... - and, they won't do much better this year especially when losing players of the calibre of Sutcliffe. [/font]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I mean a few new heads. Keep trying lads - there are more lads there. John [font=Roboto, sans-serif]Meagher, Fitzelle from the beginning (Dublin well beat by the time they came on), Barry Heffernan, Steven O'Brien - keep blooding them - keep introducing more - especially against Kilkenny. [/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]Dublin are not a good team - we didn't learn anything. KK is more of a test and, yet, it is very early in the year. But, it will be a good test of lads psychology and resolve = particularly, the new lads. [/font]

[font=Roboto, sans-serif]Dublin beat us last year in the league and went nowhere afterwards in the championship... - and, they won't do much better this year especially when losing players of the calibre of Sutcliffe. [/font]
    You cant try to many lads introducing 3 or 4 per game is maximum really which is what happened tonight. I thought we learned plenty for a night in Feb. Were you at the game?

I'm looking forward to next week to be honest. I think we can get a win. Granted Dublin were no test but that's not our fault. We approached the game with the correct attitude tonight. We worked hard and put ourselves about.

You cant try to many lads introducing 3 or 4 per game is maximum really which is what happened tonight. I thought we learned plenty for a night in Feb. Were you at the game?

I cant imagine we'll experiment too much next week. Kenny will get a chance possibly against Joey Holden who to be honest id be asking serious questions of. He's no JJ Delaney or Noel Hickey

If Fennelly is still out then the Young Cody deputises for Buckley who in turn goes midfield. So we need to test him also. Maybe put Bonnar on him or Noelie? Even try Bubbles? If Fennelly returns should we go with Breens strength against him?

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Nice little cameo from bubbles
    The man is sheer class - we might have consider Bubbles or Seamie as a corrective to our center forward issues... - unless one of the new faces can put in a serious shift there throughout the league...

Listen, if anything has been proved its the league is the league is the league - and the early rounds are crazy stuff.
    I seen it on TV,..

We won't have learned much. . - simply because the opposition was very very weak.

I'm not saying we have to pick more than 4 new lads - if anything tonight was the night to try more than four against a weaker opposition - I'm just saying pick four different heads - I'd like to see John Meagher, O'Brien, Heffernan and Liam McGrath get 70 against KK, And, in fairness, I'd like to see Hamill get 70 at full back again against KK

The KK test is fair better barometer than the first league outing against Dublin...

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to next week to be honest. I think we can get a win. Granted Dublin were no test but that's not our fault. We approached the game with the correct attitude tonight. We worked hard and put ourselves about.
    True 0 I'm looking forward to it - big time. KK is KK - that's the test.

I cant imagine we'll experiment too much next week. Kenny will get a chance possibly against Joey Holden who to be honest id be asking serious questions of. He's no JJ Delaney or Noel Hickey

If Fennelly is still out then the Young Cody deputises for Buckley who in turn goes midfield. So we need to test him also. Maybe put Bonnar on him or Noelie? Even try Bubbles? If Fennelly returns should we go with Breens strength against him?
    I'd ike to see Breen go on Fennelly- maybe, even Meagher. Personally, I'd love to see Bonner put on Fennelly - i think he has the pace,strength, and engine - and the onus to score is taken away from him. I think he can do a real job on Fennelly.

Steven O'brien is injured and Seamus Kennedy was involved today as we already know. Meagher is currently involved in Fitzgibbon and given his injury history its better not to run the man into the ground. Barry Heffernan is with UL in Fitzgibbon also. FWIW i agree with you although they are going into a bear pit next week. A real test of our resolve.

Dublin were piss poor tonight but im guessing that Cunningham hasnt been received the same way as Daly.

Dublin took hidings under Daly but you got he sense they believed in him fully. They absolutely loved him up there. he's only good to a point if you ask me. im sure he builds great rapport with lads and got as much as he could out of them but he is all about fitness and nothing about stick work. Not sure what Cunningham is about.

I think they'll drop this year. Paul Ryan aside i cannot sense there is much quality to pick from. Is Keaney still involved? Given the riches at their disposal at sponsorship level they have had no one to challenge the likes of Dotsy o'Callaghan or Keaney for places on the team and their young prodigy just walked off the panel.

No real barometer for Tipp tonight.......Next week should be interesting though. :)

The man is sheer class - we might have consider Bubbles or Seamie as a corrective to our center forward issues... - unless one of the new faces can put in a serious shift there throughout the league...

A very Eoin-esque point over the shoulder. What a talent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Mushy wrote: »
    Ah sure, beat the Dubs in a proper sport now :p

Well done Commercials ye have provided inspiration for those who prefer to play football over hurling. Keep it going and Tipperary will attract more young talented footballers from all over the county!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Well done Commercials ye have provided inspiration for those who prefer to play football over hurling. Keep it going and Tipperary will attract more young talented footballers from all over the county!

I don't think its a flash in the pan either, Commercials have the talent and youth to become a regular fixture in this competition.

There were times when Clonmel opened up that they looked a really cultured footballing outfit - great future for the club going forward.

County first round draws in the following competitions
    The football league begins on Sunday the 28th of February

County Senior Hurling Championship First Rd Draws 2016
    Roinn 1. 4 Groups of 4 4
    Group 1
    Drom and Inch v Upperchurch Drombane
    Killenaule v J K Brackens

Group 2
    Thurles Sarsfields v Borris Ileigh
    Eire Og Annacarty v Roscrea

Group 3
    Eire Og Nenagh v Kiladangan
    Mullinahone v Templederry Kenyons

Group 4
    Clonoulty Rossmore v Kilruane MacDonaghs
    Portroe v Lorrha Dorrha

Roinn 2. Groups of 2 4 and 2 3
    Group 1
    Burgess v Moyne Templetuohy
    Holycross Ballycahill v Toomevara

Group 2
    Moneygall v Carrick Swans
    Moycarkey Borris Bye

Group 3
    Loughmore Castleiney v Borrisokane
    Knockaville Kickhams Bye

Group 4
    Ballingarry v Clonakenny
    Ballina v Silvermines
    County Senior Football Championship First Rd Draws 2016
    4 Groups. 4 4
    Group 1
    Cahir v Upperchurch Drombane
    Arravale Rovers v Kilsheelan Kilcash

Group 2
    Killenaule v Clonmel Commercials
    J K Brackens v Ballyporeen

Group 3
    Eire Og Anacarty v Thomas MacDonaghs
    Loughmore Castleiney v Galtee Rovers

Group 4
    Ardfinnan v Drom and Inch
    Aherlow Gaels v Moyle Rovers
    County Intermediate Hurling Championship First Rd Draws 2016
    6 Groups of 3 4 3 3
    Group 1
    Boherlahan Dualla v Moyle Rovers
    Sean Treacys v Arravale Rovers

Group 2
    Rockwell Rovers v St Marys
    Cappawhite v Roscrea

Group 3
    Galtee Rovers v Moycarkey Borris
    Lattin Cullen Gaels Bye

Group 4
    Carrick Davins v Gortnahoe Glengoole
    Thurles Sarsfields Bye

Group 5
    Cashel King Cormacs v Ballinahinch
    Shannon Rovers

Group 6
    Newport v Drom and Inch
    Golden Kilfeacle v Kilsheelan Kilcash
    County Senior Hurling Challenge Cup First Rd Draws
    Burgess v Ballina
    Kilruane MacDonaghs v Portroe
    Carrick Swans v Holycross Ballycahill
    Lorrha Dorrha v Moyne Templetuohy
    Ballingarry v Eire Og Annacarty
    Templederry Kenyons v Eire Og Nenagh
    J K Brackens v Thurles Sarsfields
    Moneygall v Drom and Inch
    Clonakenny v Clonoulty Rossmore
    Roscrea v Killenaule
    Mullinahone v Borrisokane
    Toomevara v Moycarkey Borris
    Upperchurch Drombane v Loughmore Castleiney
    Silvermines v Kiladangan
    Borris Ileigh v Knockaville Kickhams
    County Intermediate Hurling League First Rd Draws
    2 5 and 2 4
    Top team in each group into semi final

Group 1
    Moyle Rovers v Carrick Davins
    Cashel King Cormacs v Kilsheelan Kilcash

Group 2
    Golden Kilfeacle v Clonoulty Rossmore
    Gortnahoe Glengoole v Moycarkey Borris

Group 3
    St Marys v Rockwell Rovers
    Galtee Rovers v St Patricks
    Roscrea Bye

Group 4
    Ballinahinch v Boherlahan Dualla
    Sean Treacys v Lattin Cullen Gaels
    Cappawhite Bye
    County Junior Hurling League First Rd Draws
    2 5
    Top two teams in each group into semi finals
    Group 1
    Marlfield v Boherlahan Dualla
    Grangemockler Ballyneale v Cappawhite
    Clerihan Bye

Group 2
    Ballylooby Castlegrace v Knockavilla Kickhams
    Toomevara v Cahir
    Clonmel Og Bye
    County Adult Football League First Rd Draws
    Premier Division
    2 5 with top 2 in each group into semi finals
    Group 1
    Clonmel Commercials v Cahir
    Kilsheelan Kilcash v Aherlow Gaels
    Ardfinnan Bye

Group 2
    J K Brackens v Moyle Rovers
    Galtee Rovers v Eire Og Annacarty
    Arravale Rovers Bye

Division 1
    Group of 4 with top 2 into Final
    Rockwell Rovers v Ballylooby Castlegrace
    Clonmel Og v Loughmore Castleiney

Division 2
    Group of 3 with top 2 into Final
    Clerihan v Cappawhite
    Newport Bye
    Minor Football League
    Group of 4 with top 2 into Final
    Arravale Rovers v Cahir
    Clonmel Commercials v Kilsheelan Kilcash

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Any Tipp lads know if Seamus Callanan will be back for the Kilkenny game? I'd give ye a good chance against them as their fitness levels looked very off against Waterford and that doesn't get fixed in 1 week. I wouldn't be surprised if Michael Fennelly was drafted in by them though, they looked soft in midfield the last day.

Any Tipp lads know if Seamus Callanan will be back for the Kilkenny game? I'd give ye a good chance against them as their fitness levels looked very off against Waterford and that doesn't get fixed in 1 week. I wouldn't be surprised if Michael Fennelly was drafted in by them though, they looked soft in midfield the last day.

It might be no harm to let Callanan rest a bit and give Kenny his chance on Sunday anyway.

Kenny needs to test himself further if we are to find out if he has a future at intercounty and there is no stiffer test then Paul Murphy and Joey Holden who will no doubt offer him a kind welcome to the big time

The problem with the league is that player development could now be sacrificed for getting points on the board and securing safety.

• Advertisement

The only way Kenny and et al will acclimatise to the pace of the KK and Waterford world (that swarming defence and excellent defensive play) is by playing against it regularly and getting that experience....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Be cautious about putting too much weight on league performances, I remember redser scoring 0-7 off Noel Hickey in the league but that meant feck all later in the year when they met in the important games.
    Regardless of whether Kenny does good or bad this weekend his intercounty potential will not be properly examined until the league semi finals at the earliest

OAOB wrote: »
    Be cautious about putting too much weight on league performances, I remember redser scoring 0-7 off Noel Hickey in the league but that meant feck all later in the year when they met in the important games.
    Regardless of whether Kenny does good or bad this weekend his intercounty potential will not be properly examined until the league semi finals at the earliest

That's very true. At least Redser had some form of Tipp career. I quite liked him as a player tbh. Great fielder and was a great character by all accounts. I felt his role in the league final of that year was underestimated. Hickey followed him all over the field and it created quite a bit of space for Lar to run into. 2003 he didnt even start against Kilkenny.

Danny o'Hanlon from the Swan also roasted Noel Hickey in 2007 and was another enigma whose career was over before it started.

That's very true but if he can't do it in the league...he won't do it in champioship. It's a long road for Kenny - he won't shoot the lights out in the championship yet - I think. But, performing in the league this year will be a movement forward for him - and over the next few years he can get better and better like the rest of the players such as Forde and Niall O'Meara. Not many players take to championship in their first or secod year - only the special ones. Or lads who burn brightly at first then fade away... - But, yeah, if kenny wins a couples of balls ad scores a couple of points from play and birngs a few players into the game - that's a success - improvement, in terms of development. Then he can seek to add championship experience and hope to build on that over the years... - he's young - but he hurled in Kildare and has been adopting to Tipp club championship and intercounty in a short space of time. Tipp just need to show patience with him - he has got the tools to be a success in my estimation

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kilkenny's former All-Ireland-winning captain Eddie O Connor has openly questioned Tipperary s bottle ahead of Sunday s Allianz Hurling League Division 1A crunch between the counties at Nowlan Park.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2016/0218/769221-oconnor-tipp-dont-have-the-bottle-to-beat-cats/ [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »

Cheers I read that today, what a clown that man is. A total and utter bell end!

If only someone could dig up Eddies appearance on hot milk and pepper from 1995 we would witness the level of idiot we are dealing with here.

Tipp thumped Kilkenny in last years league and one thing I'll say is that any team Michael Ryan will be in charge of will be a mirror version of himself with bottle in abundance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭blackcard

Cheers I read that today, what a clown that man is. A total and utter bell end!

Eddie is Kilkenny's version of Babs Keating, no one takes him seriously

• Advertisement

Same fifteen for Sunday. Interesting to see how we get on.

1. Darren Gleeson – Portroe
    2. Cathal Barrett – Holycross-Ballycahill
    3. Tomás Hamill – Moyne-Templetuohy
    4. Michael Cahill – Thurles Sarsfields
    5. Brendan Maher (Capt.) – Borris Ileigh
    6. James Barry – Upperchurch-Drombane
    7. Padraic Maher – Thurles Sarsfields
    8. Michael Breen – Ballina
    9. Daire Quinn – Nenagh Éire Óg
    10. Dan McCormack – Borris-Ileigh
    11. Patrick Maher – Lorrha-Dorrha
    12. Jason Forde – Silvermines