Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Kilkenny[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]1. Eoin Murphy (Glenmore)[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]2. Paul Murphy (Danesfort)
    3. Joey Holden (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
    4. Shane Prendergast (Clara)[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]5. Padraig Walsh (Tullaroan)
    6. Robert Lennon (Bennettsbridge)
    7. Diarmuid Cody (James Stephens)[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]8. Lester Ryan (Clara)
    9. Conor Fogarty (Erins Own)[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]10. Colin Fennelly (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
    11. TJ Reid (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
    12. James Maher (St Lachtains)[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]13. Walter Walsh (Tullogher Rosbercon)
    14. Kevin Kelly (St Patrick s)
    15. Richie Hogan (Danesfort)[/font]

Subs:
    16. Darragh Mooney ire g Anacarty
    17. Dylan Fitzelle Cashel King Cormacs
    18. Joe Gallagher Kiladangan
    19. Ronan Maher Thurles Sarsfields
    20. John Meagher Loughmore-Castleiney
    21. Conor O Brien ire g Anacarty
    22. John O Dwyer Killenaule
    23. Niall O Meara Kilruane MacDonaghs
    24. Liam Ryan Drom & Inch
    25. Sean Ryan Sean Treacy s
    26. Willie Ryan Clonakenny

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Kilkenny[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]1. Eoin Murphy (Glenmore)[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]2. Paul Murphy (Danesfort)
    3. Joey Holden (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
    4. Shane Prendergast (Clara)[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]5. Padraig Walsh (Tullaroan)
    6. Robert Lennon (Bennettsbridge)
    7. Diarmuid Cody (James Stephens)[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]8. Lester Ryan (Clara)
    9. Conor Fogarty (Erins Own)[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]10. Colin Fennelly (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
    11. TJ Reid (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
    12. James Maher (St Lachtains)[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]13. Walter Walsh (Tullogher Rosbercon)
    14. Kevin Kelly (St Patrick s)
    15. Richie Hogan (Danesfort)[/font]

Strong team named. Lennon, Cody, and Kelly aside we are up against a lot of experience. Its by no way on a plate as O'Connor stated. Work rate will be crucial. Do we have enough power in the middle of the field? Breen yes but Quinn is very small

Strong team named. Lennon, Cody, and Kelly aside we are up against a lot of experience. Its by no way on a plate as O'Connor stated. Work rate will be crucial. Do we have enough power in the middle of the field? Breen yes but Quinn is very small
    Quinn can usually give it and take it - but, he's is operation in a different league now and in the lion's den. Will find out a bit about him tomorrow. Kilkenny haven't a whole pile done yet - but, they're still a class outfit - missingl some key players though...

I'd like to see Kenny and Fitzelle or O'Meara spend some time on the wings tomorrow too... - I still say Forde is an inside forward. All his scores came from running on to loose ball the last day - you don't get too many opportunities to run onto to loose ball at the business end of championship.

If we get the ball to Forde's hands he will deliver - but, the problem (as we all know) is getting the ball into bubbles, callinan, and forde often enough...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,128 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That would've been a lovely start

Need to finish these goal chances, its costing big time

No surprises, miss goals and you won't win the game. Typical!

Tough conditions - but, our use of the ball needs to be better. Passing was poor - and, just our general play in terms of opening up the opposition was not as good as Kilkenny's threat. They played neater more economical hurling in the half-line areas of the field. But, we had a chances for goals...

Early days - long way to go yet. Kilkenny responded well to their defeat - let's see how we respond...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

that was a big loss, another defeat to kk. No positives to take from the game.
    A win today was more important than actually winning the league.
    Disappointed with the more experienced players, showed a real lack of leadership in last 10 minutes.

• Advertisement

Tough conditions - but, our use of the ball needs to be better. Passing was poor - and, just our general play in terms of opening up the opposition was not as good as Kilkenny's threat. They played neater more economical hurling in the half-line areas of the field. But, we had a chances for goals...

Early days - long way to go yet. Kilkenny responded well to their defeat - let's see how we respond...

A fair assessment ET. Discipline today for me was the big bug bear. We gave away countless needless frees in front of the posts and in truth Paudie should have got the line for that high tackle in the first half. While not deliberate it was clumsy and dangerous.

Overall while not being too despondent, i'm disappointed with the nature of the collapse. Id have been relatively happy with a one point defeat if we were to be beaten but we fell asunder at a crucial stage and while we weren't firing on all cylinders we had battled hard enough for 65 minutes. Our marking could have been tighter throughout too. I cant imagine Waterford gave Kilkenny's forwards that room last Sunday. On the newbies, I dont think Kenny offered anything aside of his two points from loose play and McCormack even less. I thought Daire Quinn gave a good account of himself though.

I think we may see John Meagher in a fortnight vs the Decie in that fullback role and Mikey Breen may drop back to half also with Brendan going midfield. Hoping Callanan and Forde are back too. Bonnar while such a great warrior, lacks that killer instinct in front of goal.

Our touch was lacking big time even with the likes of Bubbles and its fair to say that will improve as conditions improve and the year goes on.

Overall our panel lacks depth as the absence of Callanan and Forde proved.

Big big game next day out. Lose and we're in a dog fight. As well as that Waterford are improving and have a very very physical element in their game. Everyone including myself assumed Dublin would be the cannon fodder but they had a very good win minus alot of their regulars last night.

I saw plenty of positives - always disappointing to lose especially when we looked like we could nip it. But, it was very close game throughout. And, lots of young lads stuck it out well....

Our pressure is the first half was good - but we drifted in terms of fitness in the second hal f- that will get better throughout the year....

I think Quinn was okay - tired a lot in the second half and his distribution was lacking at times. Dan was not good - I thought Kenny offered a good account I wouldn't have taken him off first - I would have liked to see him on the wing for a while. I thought Joh McGrath was a positive... - I thought Hamill did well - and would like to see him there again...
    I think the decisive move was bringing on Farrell onto Barrett - Farrell distracted him with some roughhousing. And, he got away with a wild pull in the small rectangle - and while, Barrett was still recovering from that - the goal happened. And, then the next...

Who was marking James Maher... the less said the better...

We've a lot of changes to the team - ad it will take a while for them to gel - particularly in midfield and half forward - as where that is where a lot of moves broke down... - the sooner a combination is found the better - I wonder if Bergin will feature there...

I don't think Paudie will play as badly again this year - woeful. Bonner too - looked like he is still a bit away from fitness...
    I think Paudie Maher thinks beating KK involves actually beating them up rather than having composure on the ball - picking the right pass and marking tightly. One pass in the second half fom him was beyond wild - right across the field to a KK player...

I don't think this result will make or break our year - but, the reaction and subsequent results will be important. I think Waterford are well ahead of us in preparation and take this competition as serious as championship - Tipp, KK, and Galway try to peak for August....- Waterford might pay a price for that yet - in terms of injuries like last year - also, it's very difficult to hold form all year round. But, I think we will find it hard to break Waterford down and beat them considering where our interplay and fitness is at the moment... - There are not many teams out there making as many changes as we are due to a series of retirements and what have yous ....

that was a big loss, another defeat to kk. No positives to take from the game.
    A win today was more important than actually winning the league.
    Disappointed with the more experienced players, showed a real lack of leadership in last 10 minutes.

Ill have to admit i am absolutely sick of what is seemingly becoming an annual walk of shame from the stadium back to the car up at Eurospar while there is opposition fans alley-ooping and cheering going on in the background. At least we got a respite from it in Semple last year.

And it would be one thing if we were miles off the pace of them but we are losing by little things, some of which we really should be improving on at this stage.

Overall the strongest fifteen for each team is very even but they have the better panel of players. Who would have heard of Robert Lennon, James Maher prior to this weekend? We were told that their talent pool is drying up and yet there is two sterling performances from both of them today alongside Kevin Kelly. In Cody they have a man who can squeeze that 10-15% extra out of any player. We have plenty of highly rated youngsters who come to nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Ill have to admit i am absolutely sick of what is seemingly becoming an annual walk of shame from the stadium back to the car up at Eurospar while there is opposition fans alley-ooping and cheering going on in the background. At least we got a respite from it in Semple last year.

And it would be one thing if we were miles off the pace of them but we are losing by little things, some of which we really should be improving on at this stage.

Overall the strongest fifteen for each team is very even but they have the better panel of players. Who would have heard of Robert Lennon, James Maher prior to this weekend? We were told that their talent pool is drying up and yet there is two sterling performances from both of them today alongside Kevin Kelly. In Cody they have a man who can squeeze that 10-15% extra out of any player. We have plenty of highly rated youngsters who come to nothing

Lets not sugar coat it, Ryan will be raging after that. It leaves him in a tough spot.
    Its not so much the new guys but the experienced guys. Its very easy become conditioned and it seems some of our guys have been.

I dont believe we hammer dublin last week we are brilliant, lose to KK today we are useless. I am not saying that.
    But you can be sure Ryan had that game today as the main target achievement of the League.
    Tipps dreadful record against KK not only boosts KK players but also other opponents who see that record as a sign that Tipp fold under pressure.

Ryan could have to make more changes to rebuild Tipp than we all expected.

We are to be fair judging Tipp on February 21st minus a few players through injury or retirement so while its not nice to lose, at the same time i feel that we'll be involved in the leagues latter stages. I would worry that there is a deficit of goal scoring forwards coming through as seen by Callanan's absence. from the psychological point of view i would doubt that today will even enter the players minds if we play KK during the summer but it leaves alot to work on. Michael strikes me as a pragmatic type though who will look at addressing the arising issues from today.

The colleges competitions are coming to conclusion so we may see Stephen O'Brien, Barry Heffernan, Seamus Kennedy and John Meagher come into contention yet.

I heard that Denis Maher who is a good ball winner will be called back but is been given time to recover from his injuries.

Id like to see Tadhg Gallagher get a run because he is fast and runs at the opposition. Good sticksman too. If Mark McCarthy was shot of his injuries he would be worth a look at or Jack Shelley. No Fitzelle today after his terrific point last week.

Overall, its not ideal to lose because a win or a draw would have been a perfect tonic but there is no reason why we cant sit down, analyse our performance and where we need to improve and rectify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The Tipperary Official Website is an insult to Tipperary Footballers, it gives a lovely bit of publicity to the hurling panel with their photos ( even though it is not accurate, I pointed out last week that a player who played against Kilkenny was not even listed on the panel)

No football panel listed !

Now at 11.46 on Friday it has not given the football team to play Westmeath on Sunday !

Support The Friends of Tipperary Football or your local football club, as when it comes to football the County Board does not deserve your support !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Xenophile wrote: »
    The Tipperary Official Website is an insult to Tipperary Footballers, it gives a lovely bit of publicity to the hurling panel with their photos (even though it is not accurate, I pointed out last week that a player who played against Kilkenny was not even listed on the panel)

No football panel listed!

Now at 11.46 on Friday it has not given the football team to play Westmeath on Sunday

Support The Friends of Tipperary Football or your local football club, as when it comes to football the County Board does not deserve your support !
    Have you contacted the county board to express your displeasure with their coverage of gaelic?
    To say its an insult is OTT. A player may not always be part of the main squad to be involved in a game in league/championship. Could get called up for game depending on injuries/need.

Is Semple Stadium fit for purpose when there is a big match day, especially so on a day involving a double header.

I am referring in particular to the Old Stand area, bar open early, massive queues for the toilets, no stewarding around same. Pickpockets prying especially on the elderly. I wonder if there ever are any health and safety checks carried out !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Xeno. I contacted county board. Team not named until tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is Semple Stadium fit for purpose when there is a big match day, especially so on a day involving a double header.

I am referring in particular to the Old Stand area, bar open early, massive queues for the toilets, no stewarding around same. Pickpockets prying especially on the elderly.

Probably not, those pickpockets are a nuisance in Thurles, think we should move the double headers to ardfinnan in future.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Tipp4Liam

The Tipperary Official Website is an insult to Tipperary Footballers, it gives a lovely bit of publicity to the hurling panel with their photos ( even though it is not accurate, I pointed out last week that a player who played against Kilkenny was not even listed on the panel)

No football panel listed !

Now at 11.46 on Friday it has not given the football team to play Westmeath on Sunday !

Don't get why your having a go at the county board, the hurling team is not named until 9pm on a Friday after training, I suspect that it may be the same with footballers, that is a management decision nothing to do with the county board

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Probably not, those pickpockets are a nuisance in Thurles, think we should move the double headers to ardfinnan in future.

Health and Safety take note as the crushing in these particular toilet areas is a danger to health.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Any word on when Callanan will be back for Tipp? I miss watching one of the best full forwards in the country at work.

Any word on when Callanan will be back for Tipp? I miss watching one of the best full forwards in the country at work.

Id say he'll be back for Sunday (football-hurling double header in Semple stadium btw for those who are unaware).

That said its not a bad thing to try out new lads. Cody has done it last year and they've come on immensely this year. We have to be patient. That said again Callanan does need competitive action too to keep him ticking over.

Hopefully we'll see a few of the Mary I boys too. Id start John Meagher. I dont buy these plaudits Hamill is getting. Meagher is streets ahead of him in terms of quality. Id try Seamus Kennedy and Stephen O'Brien too where possible

jack Peters would be worth a try also

Recent TV interview with both Kelly and Corbett:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fJKk5EAi84

Recent TV interview with both Kelly and Corbett:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fJKk5EAi84

Really enjoyed that interview. Thanks for the link. Really miss the fact that none of these players (in their prime years) are currently involved because both were an absolute joy to watch. There really was nothing more orgasmic then an Eoin Kelly point over the shoulder in the mid-noughties during his peak years. And as for the flying Larry, to think we'll never see him gallop for goal again with to quote johnny b 'the yellow helmet and socks up to his knees'. Really were two one off players in terms of forwards and by right had we the right team behind the team up to 2008, they'd have won more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭big_drive

I was at the Fitzgibbon cup last weekend. The UL goalkeeper Paul Maher looked very impressive. Has he played with Tipp at some level in the past?

big_drive wrote: »
    I was at the Fitzgibbon cup last weekend. The UL goalkeeper Paul Maher looked very impressive. Has he played with Tipp at some level in the past?

U21 gk last two years, minor winning gk from 2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭big_drive

Was thinking he must have been alright as he really looked the part. He can't be far off ye're senior panel on the way he was playing last weekend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement