Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Two goals in two games for O'Meara - it was never in Cork's interest to reveal their hand today - doubly so for them.

It's never in anyone's interest to reveal their full hand in the league ...

Tipperary 2-27 Cork 2-15 (FT) - Tipperary ease into the league quarter final where they will play Clare in Ennis or Thurles next Sunday

Barry injured again

This is how I'd start for championship at the moment - next few games might change that...

Darren Gleeson
    Barrett Barry Cahill
    P Maher R Maher Heffernan
    Bergin Brendan Maher
    Bubbles Breen Bonnar
    John McGrath Callanan O'Meara

Forde and Noel McGrath are options for wing or corner forwards.

You could also have a team with Breen at midfield and have O'Meara in centerforward - drop Bergin - and put Forde or Noelie in the corner.

I just feel Breen has the power and drive to lead from center forward - agressive in every aspect of his play but O'Meara has a the creativity and natural ability in his passing that makes him a very good center forward also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Hamill, McCormack, Kenny. Hamill and McCormack have started 4 of the 5 games

Dan McCormack played well when he came in today. QF next Sunday? Or are we staring down the barrel of relegation still?

• Advertisement

2 changes at HT - Callanan and McCormack replace A.Ryan & Morris

I was watching Morris in the first half and i thought he done alright. Got stuck in. Put the paw up for one or two balls. Laid off a nice pass at one stage. While Callanan needs game time i accept, id have like to have seen Kiwi get more game time throughout the league. Couldnt fault his attitude. If Dan McCormack deserves 4.5 games then Ado Ryan and Kiwi deserved at least one full one at least.

Must say though it is great to see Seamie back. Similar to your Diarmuid Connollys, your Aidan o'sheas, or your Michael Murphys in the football, Seamie has the ability to get the crowd on their feet.

Very very impressed with John Mcgrath and Mikey Breen throughout this league too and Niall O'meara is coming along nicely with every game.

Hopefully Barry is back next week and that his injury isn't too bad. The thoughts of O'Donnell up against Hamill is scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

This is how I'd start for championship at the moment - next few games might change that...

Darren Gleeson
    Barrett Barry Cahill
    Bergin Brendan Maher
    Bubbles Breen Bonnar

You could also have a team with Breen at midfield and have O'Meara in centerforward - drop Bergin - and put Forde or Noelie in the corner.

I just feel Breen has the power and drive to lead from center forward - agressive in every aspect of his play but O'Meara has a the creativity and natural ability in his passing that makes him a very good center forward also.
    Breen has been excellent all league in centerfield and now you want to move him out of there?

Dan McCormack played well when he came in today. QF next Sunday? Or are we staring down the barrel of relegation still?

Dan McCormack had loads of room today. Young Cody beat him up a stick in Nowlan, he was anonymous v Waterford and didnt do a whole lot against Dublin or Galway either. Might be nice to see him win dirty ball and stick it over the bar himself for a change and prove he is good enough to be a county player like you so claim him to be.

Well clearly we made the quarter today so what the hell exactly is your point? :confused: Just like two year ago we got the bit of fortune and thankfully we are safe for another year at least. If Bubbles didnt nail that equaliser last week we were in a relegation play off as it stands. Thankfully we're not but id like to think we have more to offer then last gasp escape jobs. Last year we done well in the league because we brought in lads who were up to scratch like John Mcgrath and Breen.

And it was also refreshing to see the full back could be first to every ball today and beat his man, and more importantly not wander out into no mans land continously

Breen has been excellent all league in centerfield and now you want to move him out of there?

tbh id be inclined to keep him midfield myself. He has it all, pace, power, determination and skill. Him and Brendan work very well in the middle

Two goals in two games for Cork - it was never in Cork's interest to reveal their hand today - doubly so for them.

It's never in anyone's interest to reveal their full hand in the league ...

Yeah i think the Cork we will meet in May will provide a stiffer test. That said though, their defence must give them serious cause for concern. They are a shambles at the back. They've been peeled like spuds all throughout the league

• Advertisement

Darren Gleeson
    Barrett Barry Cahill
    Bergin Brendan Maher
    Bubbles Breen Bonnar

Yes, indeed, I do. I don't know if you've noticed but we've had an issue at center forward for a long time (half forward line in particular) in terms of winning ball and driving through with power. Breen has that ability to rectify that. Playing Cork in a joke game won't highlight the deficiencies in the half forward line that have been glaring against KK and Limerick in championship for numerous years... - so, as I outlined above that's the reason why I'd like him played at centre-forward - where he has played a lot for Ballina...

We couldn't keep the ball in the forwards against Galway last week - we needed a big presence to hold to the ball and get running at them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

it would be great if we could play cork every week, we could have won by thirty points such was our dominance, we must have missed about 10 sitters in the first 20 minutes alone.
    I think our chances of glory this year are not bound by the new blood that is coming through, I think they will do fine, but any chance of All Ireland success will rely on Callinan, B Maher, P Maher, Bonner, Noel McGrath providing the leadership.

Do you think we might get a double header in the stadium next weekend?

Does anyone know what the extent of Cahill's injury is? Barry looks to be out - looked to be a bad dead leg.
    Heffernan looked concussed...

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Thought breen was a monster today albeit against poor opposition but im also basing my point on the last few games he has been involved into.really settling into that midfield role and contributing scores as well.move him to centre forward?hard to know.would probably do a great job for us in there but i just dont think we have anyone else that can do what he does in midfield so for that reason i would't move him.think him and brendan are complimenting each other well in there and if brendan cant play i think bergin in there could do a job.
    John mcgrath top notch again today.looks a great find.was really impressed with him early doors in the league last year so was disappointed when he didn't feature later in the year.can't remember did he get injured or was he dropped but he is flying this year and has been leading our line well in the absence of seamie.wins his own ball,lovely side steps and scores all types of points.great little hurler.
    Hard to know who our forward line will be callanan,j mcgrath,bubbles and o meara as of today are definite starters.that leaves 2 from,more than likely,noel bonnar or forde.
    God gleeson gets so flat footed for fairly easy chances.dont think he has been playing well this year.not bad but not great either.should another goalie have got 1 or 2 games?
    He never gets mentioned much but thought conor o brien had a great game.always reliable.good hard little worker who does the basics to a high standard.nothing flashy just solid and gets the job done.

April 2/3

A) Kilkenny v Offaly (Toss for Venue*)
    B) Waterford v Wexford (Wexford Venue*)
    C) Dublin v Limerick (Toss for Venue*)
    D) Tipperary v Clare (Toss for Venue*)

Semi Finals on April 17

A v D
    B v C

Final on May 5

Division 1A Relegation Play-Off

April 2/3

Galway v Cork (Toss for Venue*)

Does anyone know what the extent of Cahill's injury is? Barry looks to be out - looked to be a bad dead leg. Heffernan looked concussed...

Ya think heffernan has been playing well since he came in.looks to be learning quickly and seems to gel well with the 2 brothers.could have a future at this level but like a couple of more we might not get to see the best of him until next year but he is tipping along nicely.
    Hope barry gets back quickly.hamill might be a future full back but he is definitely not ready this year.think the games he has played this year have been fantastic for his development.he now knows whats involved in that position and hopefully he learns and really puts pressure on barry for the number 3 spot.
    The way it has been for years now.great competition for back spots not so much for the forwards.

Final on May 5

May 5th is a thursday?

May 5th is a thursday?

True - I just got the dates from gaa.ie so must be an error...

Clare will be a good test for us and then the kitties if we win that. would be good to beat KK if we meet them, good for morale.

• Advertisement

buggy beag wrote: »
    Thought breen was a monster today albeit against poor opposition but im also basing my point on the last few games he has been involved into.really settling into that midfield role and contributing scores as well.move him to centre forward?hard to know.would probably do a great job for us in there but i just dont think we have anyone else that can do what he does in midfield so for that reason i would't move him.think him and brendan are complimenting each other well in there and if brendan cant play i think bergin in there could do a job.
    John mcgrath top notch again today.looks a great find.was really impressed with him early doors in the league last year so was disappointed when he didn't feature later in the year.can't remember did he get injured or was he dropped but he is flying this year and has been leading our line well in the absence of seamie.wins his own ball,lovely side steps and scores all types of points.great little hurler.
    Hard to know who our forward line will be callanan,j mcgrath,bubbles and o meara as of today are definite starters.that leaves 2 from,more than likely,noel bonnar or forde.
    God gleeson gets so flat footed for fairly easy chances.dont think he has been playing well this year.not bad but not great either.should another goalie have got 1 or 2 games?
    He never gets mentioned much but thought conor o brien had a great game.always reliable.good hard little worker who does the basics to a high standard.nothing flashy just solid and gets the job done.

Great post. yep agreed on Gleeson completely. Fact is the man cant stretch to save. Cummins was years older than him but was far more agile. Agree with you re Foxy o'brien too. A tenacious underrated squad player and a brilliant servant to Tipp hurling. Done little wrong today and tbh done little wrong v Galway last year in the All ireland semi.

Bubbles needs a bit more game time. he is looking a bit rusty and Noel who was flying this time last year is probably pacing himself for the championship. Uncharacteristically for him he had a few wides today.

bit of shadow boxing today but overall we achieved our first objective which is to secure Div 1A hurling next season. Every game is a bonus now but hopefully we can make the league final at least. The more competitive games between this and championship the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Clare will be a good test for us and then the kitties if we win that. would be good to beat KK if we meet them, good for morale.

Such a final - if it were to happen - would be played in Nowlan Park though which would make the task all the harder for Tipperary. Been a while since ye've won anything down there.

Agreed on Conor O'Brien, he would start on every county team with the exception of Kilkenny. Great reader of the game too.

Such a final - if it were to happen - would be played in Nowlan Park though which would make the task all the harder for Tipperary. Been a while since ye've won anything down there.

Agreed on Conor O'Brien, he would start on every county team with the exception of Kilkenny. Great reader of the game too.

Semi you mean. Sure fúck it we came minutes from beating them there recently and while we havent won down there since 2008, i feel with a bit of luck on our side it could swing the other way. Its a door we'll just have to keep knocking on.

the harder the better.
    if you can beat kk you can beat anyone.
    Tipp could do with winning the league like waterford did last year, I make us fourth favourites for the all ireland and so any silverware this year would be a boost.

Clare with home advantage

Dublin,kilkenny,wexford and galway also with home advantage

buggy beag wrote: »
    Clare with home advantage

Dublin,kilkenny,wexford and galway also with home advantage

The harder the better. A good stiff test against a team who has found their confidence. Just what we need. Ennis is a very very scary atmosphere from the stand :pac:

The harder the better. A good stiff test against a team who has found their confidence. Just what we need. Ennis is a very very scary atmosphere from the stand :pac:

all tipp people going to ennis should bring sticks, things can get nasty up there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

all tipp people going to ennis should bring sticks, things can get nasty up there.:)

True, I nearly got savaged at the under 21 final that we won a few years ago :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The harder the better. A good stiff test against a team who has found their confidence. Just what we need. Ennis is a very very scary atmosphere from the stand

Into the lions den is right.not many teams get a result in cusack.

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote:
    True, I nearly got savaged at the under 21 final that we won a few years ago

Wasn't at it but was that the one where pa bourke got a late free or 65?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement