Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Might want to take off Forde - looks like he is carrying an injury

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

robbiezero wrote: »
    I think the half back line is his best position. His radar was a bit off on Saturday, but normally he is a super long distance shooter and excellent in the air. He also has a great delivery into the forward line and is good to switch the play. There is certainly a point about pace, but he doesn't get exposed too often. I'd be happy enough with us defensively so far, have had some costly mistakes, but solid enough.

In terms of the younger players, its a strange one, possibly they aren't doing it in training, but Mark Kehoe was deemed good enough to start in our first championship game last year, but was taken off and seems to have completely slipped down the pecking order now.
    Jake is probably the best prospect of that young brigade, but he still has by no means nailed down a starting spot yet. Its a tough one for the management, our proven players need game time also, but we badly need some new blood.

I don't often agree with myself, but we saw today why it would be great if we could afford to leave Ronan out wing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

robbiezero wrote: »
    I don't often agree with myself, but we saw today why it would be great if we could afford to leave Ronan out wing back.

I don't think any of the Tipp backs will be left in one posiiton for the year, it will be horses for courses, Barrett posibly the only one who wont rotate.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Thought ot was an improvement from the Cork game, we still have a lot to work on with shooting and conceding easy frees (the Mahers were particularly guilty). John McGraths form is worrying. On the plus, I think there was an improvement in use of the ball working it up the pitch and trying to spread the play across the field, rather than playing long ball the whole game. Would have left Cadell on, thought he did well.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I don't think any of the Tipp backs will be left in one posiiton for the year, it will be horses for courses, Barrett posibly the only one who wont rotate.

Probably not, but I'd like to see him played out in the half back line as much as possible. Very effective there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice to see us back out in the bloody Sunday Jersey.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

formerlyET wrote: »
    That's rough. Terrible news. If anyone can come back from it, Bonner can.

God I was gutted to hear the news. No one has soldiered as strong for us as the Bonnar the past 12 years or so. :(

Wish him a speedy recovery.

A good day for the Premier overall today. Hurlers rallied well and got stuck when it was in the melting pot. Didnt catch much of the football but nice to see us back in the Grangemockler colours today. Proving lucky for us. 2 from 2 in white and green :)

Sheedy on Bonner (Bonner was winning the sprints in training - pushing himself to the limit as usual)

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1396117281982361601?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Podge1972

On this mornings Podcast

Club fundraising idea's

Fantasy Hurling

Tipp involvement in UK GAA with John O'Shea from Warwickshire GAA

And

A review of the Tipp v Galway League game,is Cathal Barrett the second coming?

listen on

https://thepremierviewpodcast.com

or on Soundcloud

http://soundcloud.com/.../ep-43-cathal-barrett-is-the-son...

or Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4H9nKGcPWFiu8BdPXYhQI2

• Advertisement

What's your midfield pairing for championship?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I'd go with Dan and Brendan. Flynn isn't mobile enough and I'd like to see Breen at half forward, he's one of the few real athletes that we have.

Barry Hogan
    Barrett Paudie Heff
    O Mara Kennedy Ronan
    Brendan Maher Dan
    Breen Noel O Meara
    Bubbles Forde Callanan, if fit.

Callanan needs to get back soon hopefully for the Westmeath game, we saw in 2018 when he missed most of the league he never really got going in the championship.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I'd go with Dan and Brendan. Flynn isn't mobile enough and I'd like to see Breen at half forward, he's one of the few real athletes that we have.

Barry Hogan
    Barrett Paudie Heff
    O Mara Kennedy Ronan
    Brendan Maher Dan
    Breen Noel O Meara
    Bubbles Forde Callanan, if fit.

I wouldn't have OMara in there, don't think he's ready especially with that injury. I'd have Brendan back at wing back, Breen and Flynn in the middle and Dan on the wing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd like to see another bit of Cadell and would be hoping he could push for a spot here.
    The ideal lad would be Breen, has all the attributes, but just really struggles to get on the ball in some games.
    I think Noel doesn't have the legs any more for it.
    I want Brendan back at half back with Kennedy and Ronan beside him.
    Dan is probably going to end up there, which is not ideal, I'd rather have him at wing forward, most of the top teams have a scoring wing back that needs to be watched.
    Not really convinced that Flynn is up to this level as a starter, certainly a good sub though.
    Connors hasn't played a full game there often enough to judge and for me seems to do better off the bench.
    We need O'Meara nearer the goal as he is a good man to take on a lad and go direct for goal and its something we lack a bit of in the other forwards (Bonner was a great lad for this also)

To sum up, I haven't a clue to be honest. If we can get Cadell motoring there it would be a massive boost and avoid us having to relocate some other player from a more favoured position like Brendan or Dan or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think it will be Flynn/Breen probably, to start anyway. Would ideally prefer to see Dan there but with bonner out, they might decide his physical presence is more required further forward.

One of my main hopes is for cadell to take a leap forward and make an impact this year, if just from the bench. It's his ideal position i think, the more experience he gets, the more confident and effective he will become.

Did a ref write an article in The Examiner and mention how Brian O'Mara got injured? Anyone got a link?

Did a ref write an article in The Examiner and mention how Brian O'Mara got injured? Anyone got a link?

Gavin said that Hayes got away with a cheap shot in The Examiner but O Mara picked up the injury very early in the match. The late chop seemed to compound the problem.

Gavin said that Hayes got away with a cheap shot in The Examiner but O Mara picked up the injury very early in the match. The late chop seemed to compound the problem.

Ah, right. I see it now:

"They were fortunate Kyle Hayes wasn’t punished more severely for a nasty chop on Bryan O’Meara."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40285181.html

I tell you one thing, Will O'Donoghue's pull on Noel McGrath at the start of the second half in the Gaelic Grounds last year was bad.

Ah, right. I see it now:

"They were fortunate Kyle Hayes wasn’t punished more severely for a nasty chop on Bryan O’Meara."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40285181.html

I tell you one thing, Will O'Donoghue's pull on Noel McGrath at the start of the second half in the Gaelic Grounds last year was bad.

Saint Joe pulled a nice one on the back of Forde's legs on Saturday, Forde played on and made little of it. Mannion rolled around looking to get Noel McGrath in trouble after a harmless incident. Tg4 poured over the replays but Pat Fleury didn't think much of it.

• Advertisement

Saint Joe pulled a nice one on the back of Forde's legs on Saturday, Forde played on and made little of it. Mannion rolled around looking to get Noel McGrath in trouble after a harmless incident. Tg4 poured over the replays but Pat Fleury didn't think much of it.

I saw Forde hobbling alright. I was hoping they'd take him off rather than risk an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Noel McGrath did the same on Mannion during the second half. Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭newhouse87

MfMan wrote: »
    Noel McGrath did the same on Mannion during the second half. Swings and roundabouts.

What was mannions reaction compared to fordes?

Former All-Ireland winning Tipperary hurler Johnny Everard has passed away at the age of 97.
    Everard, also an accomplished footballer, won a Munster junior football title with Tipp in 1952.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Moyorris

Is Jerry Kelly(Borrisleigh)being considered.

Moyorris wrote: »
    Is Jerry Kelly(Borrisleigh)being considered.

I heard Ormonde, Ray McCormack and Gearoid O Connor in doing a bit with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Podge1972

I suppose when digesting the football result today, to be fair to Tipperary we have had a lot of losses in personnel since last year that would gut any team. One of the most lethal forwards in the game (Quinny), one of the best midfielders (O'Riordan), and also outstanding servants like Austin and Liam Casey. Im probably forgetting a few more.

Watched it earlier on gaa go, played well in spurts but ultimately well beaten by a better team, some really poor play at times and not for first time appeared to run out of legs towards the end really does seem to be a fitness issue currently. Current form would suggest an al merciful hammering against kerry.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Watched it earlier on gaa go, played well in spurts but ultimately well beaten by a better team, some really poor play at times and not for first time appeared to run out of legs towards the end really does seem to be a fitness issue currently. Current form would suggest an al merciful hammering against kerry.

We are up against it against Kerry even in the best form. To be fair though, we could be doing heavy training hence the drop-off toward the end of the match. I don't really expect we'll beat Kerry, but it would be great to get a performance on the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement