Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

A mixed bag yesterday to be sure. Game swung back and forth, Limerick on top early on, Tipp shading it the emd of 1st half/early 2nd half then Limerick finishing strongly. 1st time I've seen Tipp adapt to stopping the diagonal ball into space that Limerick thrive on. Only issue was this seemed to hamper our scoring as we tracked back the field and had no one up front. Perfect example is Forde was everywhere for us, despite being at 14. Work rate was excellent but with him closer to goal you'd expect us to have scored more. This showed in there being only 1 goal chance in the game. Despite Limerick not playing with all their regulars, its the same system they play with so good for us to try out against it - and I thought we did well to nullify it for a large part. Was a bit disappointing not to get the win having been ahead, but we faded and couldn't win the ball in the half forward line for the final quarter.

Don't want to be very critical given the circumstances coming in to the match, rustiness was to be expected - lot of Limerick scores came from misplaced passes, balls dropped and failing to rise the ball. We did struggle to get good ball into the forward line.

Lastly, thought Brian McGrath was very good at full back last night. Its an area we still have trouble with. Barry Hogan and Bryan O Meara also very good. Would like to see Kehoe/Quirke get a run out in the half forward line the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Agree about Brian McGrath, he reminded me of James Barry yesterday, calm and assured. It would be great if he could lock down that position as we need Ronan further out the field

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

i hope we can get crowds back in for the championship.
    last year was so devalued when tipp lost to galway i wasnt really bothered.
    i am firm believer last years championship should never went ahead.
    and i think the same this year - i would rather no championship then one without supporters present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

i hope we can get crowds back in for the championship.
    last year was so devalued when tipp lost to galway i wasnt really bothered.
    i am firm believer last years championship should never went ahead.
    and i think the same this year - i would rather no championship then one without supporters present.

Totally disagree. I cant see how its less of a win because there were no people present in the stands.
    The support for the games, no positive tests from those involved and many more reasons besides showed the championship last year was right to go ahead and same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Crowds or no crowds, hurling matches on TV are better than no hurling matches at all.

I say that as a season ticket holder for club and county.

I'll never take a game for granted again - can't wait to get back attending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Last year's championship was certainly different and unusual like it will this year but that doesn't devalue it, I'd say you're footballers winning a 1st Munster in 85 years meant alot to so many, the emotion of players and management at full time spoke volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

IT 100% devalues the championship if games are closed behind closed doors and there are restrictions on training.
    say if tipp do win this year but there are no crowds at the final then i will be pleased but will still admit it means nothing without the supporters present. just as there is an asterisk on limericks victory last year
    thats not anti limerick, just the honest truth
    last years hurling championship was nothing more then a glorified blitz of challenge games.
    the tipp cork game was one of the worst hurling games i can remember. even the final was the worst final i have seen since 2013. very low standard.
    without the supporters the games are boring and pointless.

IT 100% devalues the championship if games are closed behind closed doors and there are restrictions on training.
    say if tipp do win this year but there are no crowds at the final then i will be pleased but will still admit it means nothing without the supporters present. just as there is an asterisk on limericks victory last year
    last years hurling championship was nothing more then a glorified blitz of challenge games.
    the tipp cork game was one of the worst hurling games i can remember. even the final was the worst final i have seen since 2013. very low standard.

They were not at all like friendlies/challenges. Intensity was far higher than that. you could see how players/coaches reacted to everything within the games.
    The games without supporters are far from boring or pointless. the players dont have a crowd to bounce off of in terms of atmosphere which can alter how some players may play but that doesnt mean its less of a win compared to if there is supporters in the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Bryan O Mara out for 4-6 weeks with a fractured arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Bryan O Mara out for 4-6 weeks with a fractured arm.

That's unfortunate, would like to have seen him get a run of games.

Minor point: is it O'Mara or O'Meara? See the latter in most places but rte were going with O'Mara on saturday night. Just bugging me a little bit.

• Advertisement

That's unfortunate, would like to have seen him get a run of games.

Minor point: is it O'Mara or O'Meara? See the latter in most places but rte were going with O'Mara on saturday night. Just bugging me a little bit.

O Mara according to tipp website. but link says o meara..... not that it matters much....
    https://tipperary.gaa.ie/players/bryan-omeara/

Bryan O’Mara

Disaster - he has filled out a bit. Exciting prospect. That's his championship goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

formerlyET wrote: »
    Bryan O’Mara

Disaster - he has filled out a bit. Exciting prospect. That's his championship goosed.

A big blow, I'd say Sheedy was going to give him a good run to nail down the position. Brian Gavin reckoned Hayes got away lightly with it.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    A big blow, I'd say Sheedy was going to give him a good run to nail down the position. Brian Gavin reckoned Hayes got away lightly with it.

I can't say I saw what happened. Don't think the cameras caught anything.

Ah I'm not having this to be honest. Limerick were the outstanding team in the country in 2020. Went the whole year unbeaten. Since 2018, they've probably been the most consistent team in the country.

Ah I'm not having this to be honest. Limerick were the outstanding team in the country in 2020.

If you win it, you win it. You're the best.

2020, and it's conditions were the same for everyone. And Limerick won it with a bit to spare.

We've snapped up a former Dublin footballer. Agent Paddy Christie scouting for us??? :D

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40286042.html?fbclid=IwAR277y1dtP0nUg3FcieHIjf6x2gLeDo_fztHyJOUAL24N65NPYu4BYdCZKE

Edit: Crikey we are not far off the 10k posts.

Fixtures: we have dates:

Sunday, 27 June Waterford v Clare at Semple Stadium (3.15pm)

Saturday, 3 July, Limerick v Cork in Thurles 7pm

Sunday, July 4th Tipperary v Waterford/Clare at 4pm, either at Páirc Uí Chaoimh or LIT Gaelic Grounds depending on the result of the quarter-final.

The Munster SFC stats with quarter-finals on Saturday, 26 June.

Limerick v Waterford at 3pm

Kerry v Clare 7pm throw-in in Killarney

Cork meet the winners of Limerick v Waterford on Saturday, 10 July, at 3pm
    On the same day, there will be a 7pm start time when Tipperary put their provincial title on the line against either Kerry or Clare, with Semple Stadium the venue if Kerry prevail in their quarter-final, with Cusack Park the destination if the Banner win

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Podge1972

On this Weeks Premierview Podcast

Anthony Shelly on Tipp v LK in Football ,

Noel Dundon reviews this week's Tipperary Star GAA section,

Jamie Wall previews Tipp v Cork in Hurling.

Soundclound
    https://soundcloud.com/user-512075363/ep41-jamie-wall-previews-tipp-v-cork

Spotify
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/4aGWNIkpAbLr6giAaPKSM4

Best of luck to James Barry in his recovery from testicular cancer - always check yourselves :

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40288514.html

• Advertisement

Tipperary football team v Limerick:
    Michael O'Reilly
    Tadhg Fitzgerald
    Jimmy Feehan
    Colm O'Shaughnessy
    Emmet Moloney
    Paudie Feehan
    Jack Harney
    Steven O'Brien
    Conal Kennedy
    Jason Lonergan
    Colman Kennedy
    Brian Fox
    Liam Boland
    Conor Sweeney
    Sean O'Connor

Tipperary hurling team v Cork
    4 changes from the draw v Limerick
    Barry Hogan
    Cathal Barrett
    Brian McGrath
    Barry Heffernan
    Padraic Maher
    Seamus Kennedy
    Ronan Maher
    Alan Flynn
    Dan McCormack
    Jason Forde
    Noel McGrath
    Niall O'Meara
    John O'Dwyer
    John McGrath
    Willie Connors

Brendan Maher, Connolly, and Breen included on bench attached

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Tipperary hurling team v Cork
    4 changes from the draw v Limerick
    Barry Hogan
    Cathal Barrett
    Brian McGrath
    Barry Heffernan
    Padraic Maher
    Seamus Kennedy
    Ronan Maher
    Alan Flynn
    Dan McCormack
    Jason Forde
    Noel McGrath
    Niall O'Meara
    John O'Dwyer
    John McGrath
    Willie Connors

Brendan Maher, Connolly, and Breen included on bench attached

Thanks for posting. Would have liked to see a few more of the younger players tried out for this one, especially as Cork themselves have a lot of recent Under 20/21s playing for them. You'd be a bit worried seeing Paudie Maher up against any of the Cork forwards for pace really, so maybe Sheedy might try play him as a spare man to plug up space. Having said that, pace isn't everything and that Cork team has a same old same old feel - very skillful and fast but not sure them have a certain toughness in them. We do look to be the more physical team.

Ompala wrote: »
    Thanks for posting. Would have liked to see a few more of the younger players tried out for this one, especially as Cork themselves have a lot of recent Under 20/21s playing for them. You'd be a bit worried seeing Paudie Maher up against any of the Cork forwards for pace really, so maybe Sheedy might try play him as a spare man to plug up space. Having said that, pace isn't everything and that Cork team has a same old same old feel - very skillful and fast but not sure them have a certain toughness in them. We do look to be the more physical team.

I'd agree with you that I'd like to have seen more youth, tried out a few players. There's a lot of youth on the bench that might get throw in to see what they can do.

Ideally i'd like to see a few more younger legs in there, whether likes of connolly or cadell or whoever. Maybe the thinking is lads have less hurling done over the past 12 months than usual so even the established stars need plenty of game time. Dunno really but always interesting to get a look at Bubbles and see what form he's in. John Mac too.

Maybe the thinking is lads have less hurling done over the past 12 months than usual so even the established stars need plenty of game time./QUOTE]

I'd say you're right there.

Yeah, hope Bubbles injury worries and operations are behind him.

You'll see a different John Mac this year, I'd bet.

Where would you play Connolly? Has real running in the legs. But probably no power at this level.

Maybe the thinking is lads have less hurling done over the past 12 months than usual so even the established stars need plenty of game time./QUOTE]

I'd say you're right there.

Yeah, hope Bubbles injury worries and operations are behind him.

You'll see a different John Mac this year, I'd bet.

Where would you play Connolly? Has real running in the legs. But probably no power at this level.

Agree on John Mac, just sense he's going to be huge for us this year. If he goes well, tipp go well is how i'd see it. I guess with connolly, you'd be looking at a guy who long term is going to hold down a central position, but wouldn't be asking a whole lot of him at this stage. Just around the panel is good enough, maybe 10-15 minutes in the corner or wing a couple of days would stand him in good stead. Sheedy doesn't seem like a guy who just throws lads in for the sake of it though, does he?

Sheedy doesn't seem like a guy who just throws lads in for the sake of it though, does he?

Yeah, exactly, which means Billy McCarthy (not expected back until July, I think?) and Tynan won't be getting time, and realistically, if it works out, it'll be next year if they ever get game time.
    Strange one for me, I know they have size and are little bit different to what we have, but over Dan O'Meara and Jerry Kelly? A head scratcher for me.
    I have a lot of time for Billy McCarthy, but he has already had a knee reconstruction, more or less, and a couple of ACLs. Is that knee going to stand up to inter county training?
    Fair play to him if he pulls it off, but it would be a miracle.

Yeah, exactly, which means Billy McCarthy (not expected back until July, I think?) and Tynan won't be getting time, and realistically, if it works out, it'll be next year if they ever get game time.
    Strange one for me, I know they have size and are little bit different to what we have, but over Dan O'Meara and Jerry Kelly? A head scratcher for me.
    I have a lot of time for Billy McCarthy, but he has already had a knee reconstruction, more or less, and a couple of ACLs. Is that knee going to stand up to inter county training?
    Fair play to him if he pulls it off, but it would be a miracle.

Yeah, sadly for billy it probably does seem an uphill climb at this stage, just keeping fingers crossed for him. Of course I'm not privvy to what goes on behind the scenes or into the thinking behind the make up of the panel, but it could be that a guy like billy would serve as an inspiration to other players just through his sheer focus and determination to get back to full fitness and winning his place again in the teeth of some horrible misfortune. I doubt he'd be there if he'd no chance at all, but it might explain why he'd still be in over other lads who might have valid claims too.

• Advertisement

but it could be that a guy like billy would serve as an inspiration to other players just through his sheer focus and determination to get back to full fitness and winning his place again in the teeth of some horrible misfortune.

That's a very good point

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement