Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Really poor stuff so far from the footballers, started brightly but it's been brutal stuff for the last while, no excuses not to be able to beat the likes of limerick comfortably.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Really poor stuff so far from the footballers, started brightly but it's been brutal stuff for the last while, no excuses not to be able to beat the likes of limerick comfortably.

You mustn't have seen last year's Munster semi....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

formerlyET wrote: »
    You mustn't have seen last year's Munster semi....

Limerick are woeful lad. Why we struggle against I don't know. Poor start to the league.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What a ball by Forde to McGrath - still think Forde should be inside, more dangerous there.

Jesus, Cork actually really want to win this. Kingston going mad on the line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Why is Robert Byrnes on the Tipp panel?

Rasputin11 wrote: »

In what sense? Ability or under use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Hes from Port..., not many young lads coming tru

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Annoyed not to have won that, felt we did an awful lot right but we could spend the next week on shooting practice alone. I know conditions we poor but we missed a lot of chances.

More worrying is the form of Niall O Meara, very anonymous today. Paul Flynn really but in a shift when he came on, did feel Sheedy was very late making that call though.

The two goals were extremely poor to concede, and we only created about half a chance ourselves. Ball in to the forwards quite poor most of the game, need to stop try to put snow on it by the time it lands. Very hard to tell on Tv if the forwards are moving to make themselves available or not.

In what sense? Ability or under use?

Seldom gets a game, if he was from any other club he'd be long gone off the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think you'd have to be happy enough with a point in the circumstances. Wont win many games with that level of accuracy, felt we got away with it a bit, think they'll be a lot more upset than us tbh. Quite pleased to see Cathal putting in a really strong finish, thats more like it from him and Barry Heff has got such a cool head on him, can just about play anywhere 2 to 9 i think. Bubbles and John looked dangerous whenever they got decent service, which was all too rare, just the radar was slightly off tonight. Flynn made an impact for sure.

I think you'd have to be happy enough with a point in the circumstances. Wont win many games with that level of accuracy, felt we got away with it a bit, think they'll be a lot more upset than us tbh. Quite pleased to see Cathal putting in a really strong finish, thats more like it from him and Barry Heff has got such a cool head on him, can just about play anywhere 2 to 9 i think. Bubbles and John looked dangerous whenever they got decent service, which was all too rare, just the radar was slightly off tonight. Flynn made an impact for sure.

Had 17 wides and still weren't beat was the major positive I guess.

A lot of shadow boxing going on though, methinks.

I'd like to see someone else other than N O'M and Jake get a run. See what else we have.

A bit of shadow boxing still going on. Dont care if we don't win the league tbh, but id like to see us try out more young players. Most of our team tonight played in (or were at least on the panel for) the final in 2014.

Hopefully Quirke, Caddell, Kehoe, might be started next week. Is there even relegation in the league this year?

A bit of shadow boxing still going on. Dont care if we don't win the league tbh, but id like to see us try out more young players. Most of our team tonight played in (or were at least on the panel for) the final in 2014.

Hopefully Quirke, Caddell, Kehoe, might be started next week. Is there even relegation in the league this year?

Agreed - final standing in the league doesn't worry me. With all due respect, I'd be shocked if we didn't beat Westmeath. But we need to give the younger lads s good proper run out, not just the last 10 minutes. I do think Brian McGrath is settling in well. And a monster point for us too in this game.

Galway looked a sharp outfit today. Good test ahead.

Galway looked a sharp outfit today. Good test ahead.

Themselves and Limerick are our two bogey teams. We played our best bit of hurling against them last year, and looked good for the win until the red card. They are set up similarly to Limerick, so will be a good try out to see how to play against teams more physical than us. Lumping high ball is not the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Ompala wrote: »
    Themselves and Limerick are our two bogey teams. We played our best bit of hurling against them last year, and looked good for the win until the red card. They are set up similarly to Limerick, so will be a good try out to see how to play against teams more physical than us. Lumping high ball is not the answer.

Bizarre that our full back line all scored.
    The ball into our forwards has been very disappointing. When we come out of the half backline with the ball, we seem to strike it long, most other teams are taking it on a bit further before delivering it.
    Saw a chart before last years all Ireland, balls delivered from inside the opposition 65, from behind their own 65 and inside their own 45. The drop off in ball retention on the longer distances was huge. I think we have an issue in that we lack a link man in midfield at the moment.

farmerval wrote: »
    Bizarre that our full back line all scored.
    The ball into our forwards has been very disappointing. When we come out of the half backline with the ball, we seem to strike it long, most other teams are taking it on a bit further before delivering it.
    Saw a chart before last years all Ireland, balls delivered from inside the opposition 65, from behind their own 65 and inside their own 45. The drop off in ball retention on the longer distances was huge. I think we have an issue in that we lack a link man in midfield at the moment.

Our ball delivery has gone from a strength in 2019 to non-existent. I wonder if it's the circumstances of the league - no prep - playing a new way - or boxing clever. Surely it can't be that bad all of a sudden? Maybe it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Our ball delivery has gone from a strength in 2019 to non-existent. I wonder if it's the circumstances of the league - no prep - playing a new way - or boxing clever. Surely it can't be that bad all of a sudden? Maybe it is.

I think Callanan is a big loss here. He has a bit of toe to lose his man and makes very clever runs.

Not being at the matches, its hard to tell if its the delivery is the problem (at times it quite certainly is) or the forwards inside not able to create or get themselves into space.

My feeling is that we have put a lot of focus on work rate and physicality for the moment and that we possibly have not that much hurling done. We seem very "workmanlike" at the moment.

As an aside I wasn't surprised at Galway beating Limerick. watched them v Westmeath the week before and while Westmeath were weak, I was surprised at how sharp their hurling was. Big test for us next weekend. We will almost certainly need to up our scoring rate to keep with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

We definitely seem to be more about stopping our opponents that playing to our own strengths right now.
    Galway will be another big physical test. It is disappointing so far with really only Brian McGrath of the younger brigade getting a serious look in (although he's looking like the read deal)
    I thought Barry Heffernan was outstanding yesterday. Really turning into a leader in the team.
    I'm puzzled around Ronan being at wing back. We had three very slow half backs Saturday night. With Noel in midfield we are definitely not speedy team around the middle.

• Advertisement

We definitely seem to be more about stopping our opponents that playing to our own strengths right now.
    Galway will be another big physical test. It is disappointing so far with really only Brian McGrath of the younger brigade getting a serious look in (although he's looking like the read deal)
    I thought Barry Heffernan was outstanding yesterday. Really turning into a leader in the team.
    I'm puzzled around Ronan being at wing back. We had three very slow half backs Saturday night. With Noel in midfield we are definitely not speedy team around the middle.

Well, Brian McGrath is not fast either. It has never been about pace with this team.

Even Callanan has a hell of a lot more going for him than pace.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops because the game plan Tipp are now trying to implement could prove to be obsolete with the new focus on persistent fouling and stamping it out of the game.

robbiezero wrote: »
    I think Callanan is a big loss here. He has a bit of toe to lose his man and makes very clever runs.

Not being at the matches, its hard to tell if its the delivery is the problem (at times it quite certainly is) or the forwards inside not able to create or get themselves into space.

My feeling is that we have put a lot of focus on work rate and physicality for the moment and that we possibly have not that much hurling done. We seem very "workmanlike" at the moment.

As an aside I wasn't surprised at Galway beating Limerick. watched them v Westmeath the week before and while Westmeath were weak, I was surprised at how sharp their hurling was. Big test for us next weekend. We will almost certainly need to up our scoring rate to keep with them.

For sure, Callanan is a captain and has been a senior figure in two all-ireland wins. He's our goal scorer and chief threat from play.

I'd imagine the hard fitness is being done right now. But tactics look to be defence first and a new style of football hurling.

Looking at Galway, and the pep in their step, there's a spring to them. Given Sheedy's conservative approach to selection, we could be looking at more or less the same side in the third game in 21 days. That not only risks a tired team but injuries. He must be careful here.

To be honest, I think we're looking at 8 to 12 point clipping from Galway. They had a training session first time out (with respect to Westmeath) and just had a huge confidence boosting win. They're hopping off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I think the half back line is his best position. His radar was a bit off on Saturday, but normally he is a super long distance shooter and excellent in the air. He also has a great delivery into the forward line and is good to switch the play. There is certainly a point about pace, but he doesn't get exposed too often. I'd be happy enough with us defensively so far, have had some costly mistakes, but solid enough.

In terms of the younger players, its a strange one, possibly they aren't doing it in training, but Mark Kehoe was deemed good enough to start in our first championship game last year, but was taken off and seems to have completely slipped down the pecking order now.
    Jake is probably the best prospect of that young brigade, but he still has by no means nailed down a starting spot yet. Its a tough one for the management, our proven players need game time also, but we badly need some new blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

i am happy enough with last 2 games - galway is our last game before waterford/clare semi
    westmeath is a no win situation and waterford in last game will be a puck around as neither will want to show anything.

when you remove Limerick from the equation who i think are slight favorites for the all ireland - i think its very open and anyone from tipp cork waterford galway kilkenny and wexford could win it out.

Galway a good test and hopefully we can get a win

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Podge1972

Episode 42 - Lorrha Conspires To Get Brian Hogan Back In The Goals!!!!!

https://sptfy.com/JohnMc

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/1edrx

Michael, Marisa & Sean discuss this weeks GAA goings on in Tipp and welcome guests James Williams, Eamonn Wynne & John McIntyre.

Time Stamps
    1:43 - Tipp Football review with James Williams,Tipperary Secretary
    9:54 - Sean's Local Paper Review with Éamonn Wynne from the Nationalist
    31:16 - Marisa interviews John McIntyre and gets his thoughts on this Saturdays League game V Galway.

We also have our new Website up and running with a lot of the audio podcast platforms on it

https://thepremierviewpodcast.com

Team News

Galway (Allianz HL Div 1A v Tipperary): E Murphy; D Morrissey, D Burke, TJ Brennan; A Tuohey, P Mannion, A Harte; J Canning, J Coen; J Cooney, J Flynn, C Cooney; B Concannon, K Cooney, C Whelan.

5 changes from the Cork game - disappointed Barry Hogan hasn't been kept on - however, over to Brian Hogan to see what he can do again.
    Seamus Kennedy, Jason Forde, Cathal Barrett, Bary Heff, Ronan Maher are asked to go again - third week in a row - (I don't like it - asking for trouble.)

Brian Hogan
    Cathal Barrett
    Padraic Maher
    Barry Heffernan
    Robert Byrne
    Seamus Kennedy
    Ronan Maher
    Alan Flynn
    Paddy Cadell
    Dan McCormack
    Noel McGrath
    Dillon Quirke
    John O'Dwyer
    Jason Forde
    John McGrath

Bonner has done his Achilles, he's had a sickening run of injuries. Probably won't see him in a Tipp jersey again. If any man ever deserved to walk off to an ovation it would have been him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Bonner has done his Achilles, he's had a sickening run of injuries. Probably won't see him in a Tipp jersey again. If any man ever deserved to walk off to an ovation it would have been him.

Terrible for the man after his coming back from the cruciate one.what a servant for tipp.when he was in full flight tipp did well.hopefully he gets a chance of that ovation he richly deserves.h’on the bonner

• Advertisement

That's rough. Terrible news. If anyone can come back from it, Bonner can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement