Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Not much to take from that, looked like everyone came through it fine. I felt sorry for Byrnes, a touch foolish but the lad really milked it. It seems to be becoming a feature of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Eoin Brislane is on record as saying that they were weighed at the beginning of preseason, and he was heavy, too heavy, but John Carroll was fit to be sent to the slaughterhouse :) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDCrUr2HhbU

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Match pretty much went as expected. We hit a lot of bad wides early on but after the 1st waterbreak we seemed to really sharpen up. Backs were solid throughout I thought, Brendan had a great game at 6. Good to get some game time into him. Disappointed with the Byrne red card, irrespective of how hard a hit it was, had to be a red. You have to keep the head - he'll learn from it. Cadell did well again at midfield, things just didn't seem to go right for Breen. Forwards probably gave their most complete display, but you have to take into consideration the opposition. Good to get game time into Callanan, John McGrath showed glimpses of what he is capable of. Forde very good throughout. Nice to see the subs having a big impact, in particular Kehoe who kept plugging away after a few mistakes early on and took his goal well.

Did think there was an improvements of the basics from previous games, first touch, ball handling. Much more working the ball through the lines rather than shots from out the field. Some nice balls into the corners for forwards to run on to. Hard to know is it the opposition or just more time back playing together. Onwards to Waterford now, I would be expecting a few new starts next week. Interesting to see Gearoid O Connor called into the squad today. Having watched him Under 20, reminds me of Dan.

formerlyET wrote: »
    Eoin Brislane is on record as saying that they were weighed at the beginning of preseason, and he was heavy, too heavy, but John Carroll was fit to be sent to the slaughterhouse :) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDCrUr2HhbU

Was at that very league final. Was all going extremely well until Philly Maher done the cruciate and Charlie Carter came on and tortured poor John Devane. Fitness definitely was an issue that season. That was a skiful team. With the right management, we could have yielded more, but instead we drifted from manager to manager after Nicky English left

Was at that very league final. Was all going extremely well until Philly Maher done the cruciate and Charlie Carter came on and tortured poor John Devane.

Philly was a good player.

I think it went all pear shaped for Carter with Cody not long after that.

• Advertisement

Philly was a good player.

I think it went all pear shaped for Carter with Cody not long after that.

Yes, outstanding talent in his own right. Another lad who looked to be carrying the bit of extra timber, but was as crafty a forward that was in the game. Shows how strong Kilkenny was becoming back then when they could afford to lose players of that calibre. Sadly no place in the game for these types now. All thoroughbred racehorses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Ompala wrote: »
    Match pretty much went as expected. We hit a lot of bad wides early on but after the 1st waterbreak we seemed to really sharpen up. Backs were solid throughout I thought, Brendan had a great game at 6. Good to get some game time into him. Disappointed with the Byrne red card, irrespective of how hard a hit it was, had to be a red. You have to keep the head - he'll learn from it. Cadell did well again at midfield, things just didn't seem to go right for Breen. Forwards probably gave their most complete display, but you have to take into consideration the opposition. Good to get game time into Callanan, John McGrath showed glimpses of what he is capable of. Forde very good throughout. Nice to see the subs having a big impact, in particular Kehoe who kept plugging away after a few mistakes early on and took his goal well.

Did think there was an improvements of the basics from previous games, first touch, ball handling. Much more working the ball through the lines rather than shots from out the field. Some nice balls into the corners for forwards to run on to. Hard to know is it the opposition or just more time back playing together. Onwards to Waterford now, I would be expecting a few new starts next week. Interesting to see Gearoid O Connor called into the squad today. Having watched him Under 20, reminds me of Dan.

Would agree with all that. Cadell display was noteworthy. He could be pushing for a starting spot.
    Brian McGrath another decent display. Thought Morris did well when he came on too.
    Work rate and attitude very good. Turned Westmeath over countless times in possession although it has to be noted that they were really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

in particular Kehoe who kept plugging away after a few mistakes early on and took his goal well.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

you imagine starting team v waterford is
    brian hogan barrett maher heffernan brendan maher kennedy ronan maher dan mc alan flynn breen noel mcgrath john mcgrath forde callian bubbles
    thats leaves brian mcgrath cadell paul flynn kehoe morris byrne niall omeara willie connors to come on.

is the above good enough to win an all ireland?
    i dont think so.

i would go for
    barry hogan, barrett, brian mcgrath, heffernan, brendan maher, kennedy, ronan, caddell, dan, breen, noel mcgrath, kehoe, morris, callinan and jason forde.
    i think brian hogan is a poor keeper, pauiric maher and bubbles are in decline, alan flynn is just not good enough and john mcgrath for whatever reason is in very poor form.
    tipp needed to start blooding new players last year never mind this year.
    tipp need an injection of new blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

i would go for
    barry hogan, barrett, brian mcgrath, heffernan, brendan maher, kennedy, ronan, caddell, dan, breen, noel mcgrath, kehoe, morris, callinan and jason forde.
    i think brian hogan is a poor keeper, pauiric maher and bubbles are in decline, alan flynn is just not good enough and john mcgrath for whatever reason is in very poor form.
    tipp needed to start blooding new players last year never mind this year.
    tipp need an injection of new blood.

Not four weeks ago you said that both John McGrath and Bubbles have 'plenty left in them' what happened in the last four weeks to casue such a dramatic u-turn?

As for the Paidi Maher sugesstion :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I don't think we'll see a full strength side for Waterford on Sunday. Few players could do with a rest.

Paidie is made for full back. Any side playing 2 inside forwards I'd imagine he'll become a sweeper. We're developing a decent squad with plenty of depth. Subs well capable of making a difference.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The Westside column like much of the other counties' GAA threads on here has questioned the standard of our players coming through. They'll have to give their answer on the pitch now. I believe the standard of player we have at all levels - from the Paidis and Callanans generation- to the Dan Mc, Bubbles, Niall O'Meara generation to the Kennedy, Forde, Barrett generation - to the Heffernan, Ronan, John mCgRATH, Breen, Alan Flynn generation - and then our youngsters - are of a really high standard. The youngsters have to go on and prove it on the pitch now.

I don't think we'll see a full strength side for Waterford on Sunday. Few players could do with a rest.

Paidie is made for full back. Any side playing 2 inside forwards I'd imagine he'll become a sweeper. We're developing a decent squad with plenty of depth. Subs well capable of making a difference.

Would like to see Kehoe, Brian McGrath and Cadell start against Waterford.

Would Alan Flynn in an up and down the pitch wing forward position be worth a view?

Would like to see Kehoe, Brian McGrath and Cadell start against Waterford.

Would Alan Flynn in an up and down the pitch wing forward position be worth a view?

Think we have a number of players who can play different positions and offer something different. I'd imagine it will be horses for courses depending on who we play. Waterford like to run it from everywhere so we'll have to match their running.

Kehoe is a big confidence player a bit like a young Seamie, if he can get the belief he has the potential to be excellent. Barrett and Forde need a rest, need to see our second choice free taker in action.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Probably will see a number of players rested for the Waterford game, no harm. Barrett, Forde definitely should be rested. Kehoe worth a start, along with Bubbles and Morris. Who actually is our second choice free taker? Noel?

Ompala wrote: »
    Probably will see a number of players rested for the Waterford game, no harm. Barrett, Forde definitely should be rested. Kehoe worth a start, along with Bubbles and Morris. Who actually is our second choice free taker? Noel?

I'd assume Seamie but Noel can take them, same with bubbles, Morris took a couple the weekend to.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Think Jake took them after Forde went off but Noelie was off at that stage too.

Think Jake took them after Forde went off but Noelie was off at that stage too.

Jake is handy on them, even at Under 20 was pretty reliable. Don't think he's a nailed on starter though so could see Noel or Callanan being second choice, though placed balls don't seem to be Seamies strong point in recent times.

John McGrath was an incredible free taker for Tipp Minors when they won the AI and takes them for Loughmore, don't know why people would think that Noel would be taking them for Tipp ahead of him.

We have loads of free takers to be fair.

John McGrath started off in the league on the frees one year - and it didn't go well. Does well for Loughmore on the short frees.
    Seamie got yips with frees one year and Forde, obviously, has been on them since.
    Bubbles can take frees.
    Michael Breen has been known to take a free for Ballina.
    Billy Seymour is a good free taker.
    Devon Ryan demonstrated fantastic free taking ability with the under 20s (don't know what his club situation is now)

Obviously, taking frees for the Tipp seniors in front of massive crowds, particularly when it goes silent, is a different kettle of fish.
    We're not short on free takers - but we are short on experience at senior level, Bubbles doesn't hit them regularly. Is this a reason Sheedy is so hesidant to rest Forde?
    People forget how conservative Sheedy is as a manager. That's why I so surprised about the Limerick selection last year. He has reverted to type since. People go on about a lack of youngsters breaking in but Sheedy will always go for experience - hence the Sean O'Brien selection last year.

• Advertisement

Breen only takes frees for Ballina when the regular free taker (corner forward, name escapes me) is off the field.

Seymour is a terrible free taker, very bad and nearly cost his club the county final - ironically he only ended up on the frees when the county final hero McLoughney lost form on them.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Breen only takes frees for Ballina when the regular free taker (corner forward, name escapes me) is off the field.

Seymour is a terrible free taker, very bad and nearly cost his club the county final - ironically he only ended up on the frees when the county final hero McLoughney lost form on them.

I said Breen has been known to take a free. I didn't say he was the free taker.

To say Seymour is a terrible free taker and offer one game as an example - a game he scored at least four frees in - is bizarre. To use the word terrible suggests he couldn't hit a barn door.
    I think he scored near enough to 10 fees in the semi final. I've seen him score a fair amount of frees - has his wides too, like every free taker - but to say he is terrible. No way. But sure he's terrible. Takes frees for the county champions, he's terrible...:rolleyes:

I said Breen has been known to take a free. I didn't say he was the free taker.

To say Seymour is a terrible free taker and offer one game as an example - a game he scored at least four frees in - is bizarre. To use the word terrible suggests he couldn't hit a barn door.
    I think he scored near enough to 10 fees in the semi final. I've seen him score a fair amount of frees - has his wides too, like every free taker - but to say he is terrible. No way. But sure he's terrible. Takes frees for the county champions, he's terrible...:rolleyes:

I have known Billy since he was under 10 and have seen him hurl all the way up, he is a terrible free taker for the standard we are talking about.

He ended up as free taker for Kildangan by default, he missed six frees in the County Final and he missed 3 in the semi final, 6 in the quarter final and 4 in the first game against Drom. Bryan McLoughney was Kildangans free taker at the start of the year, Willie Connors took over and only when both had failed was Seymour given the job, he had never taken frees underage, McLoughney was the free taker on that team all the way up.

You can roll your eyes all you want but it was a stupid statement, apart from the fact that he hasn't even made a match day squad and we are less than a month from Championship.

I have known Billy since he was under 10 and have seen him hurl all the way up, he is a terrible free taker for the standard we are talking about.

He ended up as free taker for Kildangan by default, he missed six frees in the County Final and he missed 3 in the semi final, 6 in the quarter final and 4 in the first game against Drom. Bryan McLoughney was Kildangans free taker at the start of the year, Willie Connors took over and only when both had failed was Seymour given the job, he had never taken frees underage, McLoughney was the free taker on that team all the way up.

You can roll your eyes all you want but it was a stupid statement, apart from the fact that he hasn't even made a match day squad and we are less than a month from Championship.

:rolleyes: Know him do ya? What's that got to do with anything?
    I hope he's not listening to you is all I can say.
    I'm well aware of how he came to take the frees.
    Fantastic player - good free taker as well. You couldn't be more wrong.
    We're talking about free takers on the Tipp panel. I made a list - he was well down on it.
    What has match squads and championship got to do with that? You're off running with the loose marbles in your head again.

He took a few frees before Jake went on them for the under 20s. Took sidelines too - I'd say Liam Cahill would use the word terrible about him too. Lord above.

What has match squads and championship got to do with that? You're off running with the loose marbles in your head again.

He took a few frees before Jake went on them for the under 20s. Took sidelines too - I'd say Liam Cahill would use the word terrible about him too. Lord above.

Well it would be very hard for him to take frees for Tipp if he isn't on the field, I thought that was fairly obvious!

And no he did not take the frees before Jake Morris, ever. Jake Morris was taken off in the first match against Waterford having scored 11 from 11 on the frees, Billy took over for the last 15 mins and scored 3 from 5.

Well it would be very hard for him to take frees for Tipp if he isn't on the field, I thought that was fairly obvious!

And no he did not take the frees before Jake Morris, ever. Jake Morris was taken off in the first match against Waterford having scored 11 from 11 on the frees, Billy took over for the last 15 mins and scored 3 from 5.

Right, so if posters have discussed Forde and Noel and Callanan as the free takers and wonder about other possible free takers, and someone compiles a list of free takers within the squad that have been known to hit a free now and again - there are more on the squad - and you pick out someone who is about sixth or seventh on that list, that doesn't even include Forde or Noel, you assume that the poster is suggesting that the player sixth or seventh on that list will take frees for Tipp in the upcoming championship? That's your logic?
    It's because you have a problem with me as a poster and rather than follow the thread you'd try and single out a point in one of my posts.

And Billy took those frees, and that suggests to you, in your brain, that he is a TERRIBLE free taker... second in line on an intercounty set up? You're just wrong.
    Maybe, you got embarrassed because you made a point about John McGrath taking frees but you didn't know he already had a go at them with Tipp senior and it didn't go well - you're embarrassed very easily.

If you post something stupid then expect to be pulled up on it, simple really. Don't try and make it personal to deflect away from the fact that you posted something beyond foolish and then dug your feet in and dug a bigger hole for yourself.

I am sure other posters have better things to do than reading our squabbles so I will leave it there rather that drag the thread further off topic.

I am sure other posters have better things to do than reading our squabbles so I will leave it there rather that drag the thread further off topic.

Thanks for understanding.

Have Tipp shown their hand in this league?

• Advertisement

Have Tipp shown their hand in this league?

No more or less than any other county I think. We could all probably confidently name 11-12 of the team that will start against Waterford/Clare and we know what way Tipp will hurl. My stab at the Championship 15 would be;

Barry Hogan

C Barrett P Maher B Heffernan

B Maher S Kennedy R Maher

A Flynn P Cadell

N McGrath S Callanan D McCormack

Bubbles J Forde J McGrath

That 15 would give any team a good run for their money. We have some good options off the bench then as well such as W Connors, J Morris, M Keohe, M Breen, B McGrath, N O'Meara and B O'Mara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement