Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

http://www.eplanning.ie/TipperaryCC/AppFileRefDetails/19600399/0

Here is the link to the planning application

Scroll down on that page to view scanned files and you can see the drawings and all the planning submission and you'll get the gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

So they are basically just building an extension at the back of the stand and no changes to the existing structure or seating area. If you're not corporate you shouldn't notice any difference to your match day experience

OAOB wrote: »
    So they are basically just building an extension at the back of the stand and no changes to the existing structure or seating area. If you're not corporate you shouldn't notice any difference to your match day experience

i thought when they mentioned corporate that they were going to incorporate croke park style corporate boxes at mid level where you can watch the game and have the grub. I do fail to see why Thurles cant just go the whole hog and develop a top class stadium. They'll only end up doing it eventually when the big games eventually dry up and Cork start getting them. Im sure there would be a few big hitters willing to donate to a real ambitious project. It doesnt seem to be an overhaul but a modest extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

From a quick scan of the drawings i'd imagine the top few rows of blocks will be removed and replaced with glass and that will provide the corporate viewing area, it's a half arsed design really.

My own opinion is that the county board shouldn't be investing massively in a complete stadium upgrade. I love the old stand, very few bad seats in it apart from those damn poles (in reality they don't bother me much once the game is going). Better facilities in behind is what the old stand needs. Anyone i know always prefers an old stand ticket which is a clear endorsement of it.
    The new stand is what i think they should develop, it's a cheap structure and doesn't maximise the area of ground it takes up. I'd knock that and build a proper stand that has a proper corporate area.

I would hate to see us going down the Cork route and building a vanity project. I would much rather invest a bit in the stadium and a lot in the clubs and county teams

OAOB wrote: »
    From a quick scan of the drawings i'd imagine the top few rows of blocks will be removed and replaced with glass and that will provide the corporate viewing area, it's a half arsed design really.

My own opinion is that the county board shouldn't be investing massively in a complete stadium upgrade. I love the old stand, very few bad seats in it apart from those damn poles (in reality they don't bother me much once the game is going). Better facilities in behind is what the old stand needs. Anyone i know always prefers an old stand ticket which is a clear endorsement of it.
    The new stand is what i think they should develop, it's a cheap structure and doesn't maximise the area of ground it takes up. I'd knock that and build a proper stand that has a proper corporate area.

I would hate to see us going down the Cork route and building a vanity project. I would much rather invest a bit in the stadium and a lot in the clubs and county teams

I think if Thurles pushed the boat out a small bit though they would possibly achieve a quicker payback then say the new PuC? Thurles will always get plenty of neutral games and its the spiritual home of hurling. We dont need to create a Wembley, but I think we could create a very decent and modern stadium for a reasonable price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think if Thurles pushed the boat out a small bit though they would possibly achieve a quicker payback then say the new PuC? Thurles will always get plenty of neutral games and its the spiritual home of hurling. We dont need to create a Wembley, but I think we could create a very decent and modern stadium for a reasonable price.
    Thurles wont get anywhere near same revenue outside matchday that PuC can. PuCwill get concerts and Semple just wont especially on back of feile last September ....
    You say not to create a Wembley which means what exactly? And what kind of stadium would you be basing anew stadium on?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Do we need a gym faciltity in the actual stadium? Surely this facility should be in Morris park where we train mostly at present?

The Tipp team tog out and use the dressing rooms in the Stadium even if training in Dr. Morris most of the time. The Tipp County Board are currently paying to use a gym facility beside the Stadium. This will eliminate all that and have player access to a gym right on site.

This development is a long way off yet, planning granted but God knows when it will get completed. Like the way we are still waiting for the All Weather pitches in Thurles!

Thurles wont get anywhere near same revenue outside matchday that PuC can. PuCwill get concerts and Semple just wont especially on back of feile last September ....
    You say not to create a Wembley which means what exactly? And what kind of stadium would you be basing anew stadium on?

Well obviously my use of Wembley was an exaggeration as in dont overrun the costs into eye-watering figures (anything over 100m). Many smart stadium designs have been created for a reasonably modest sum. In Thurles case, it doesnt have to be an immediate overhaul, it can be done in stages. Cork on the other hand needed to be knocked as the old stadium was a death trap. Kilkenny built a state of the art seated terrace for just a few million.

Thurles doesnt need concerts. It's a more neutral venue that can attract more games than Cork which tbh is a white elephant at the bottom of the country (concerts or no concerts). If Cork is such a bigger attraction than Thurles then why hasnt it hosted a Munster final yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads pick your best tipp team here as per team sheet.

I'd go with..

Cummins

Barrett
    Philip Maher
    Mickey Cahill

Eamon Corcoran
    Ronan
    Paidie

Brendan Maher
    Tommy Dunne

Michael cleary
    Declan Ryan
    Larry corbett

Eoin Kelly
    Seamie
    Nickey

Can't believe I've left out Noel, John Leahy & Pat Fox.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Cummins
    Barrett Ronan Maher Cahill
    Conal Bobby Paidi
    Tommy Brendan
    Skippy Bonner Lar
    God Seamie Nicky

Leaving out Noel, bubbles and deccie ryan absolute heart churning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Cummins - No contest here.

Barrett - (Stapleton not too far behind, a fine Tipp career, but Barrett has been one of the best in the country over last few years.

Ronan - (largely because I have to fit in Noel and Brendan in this team. Paul Curran abit unlucky, had a great career and very solid full back and we really struggled here when he left, but Ronans best in 2016 and 2019 is better than any of the others, could be a player of a generation for Tipp if he keeps his form).

Cahill - probably the standout here in one of the weaker line ups.

Bonnar - No superstars here, tight call between Corcoran and Bonnar, but Bonnar had a very fine career from just out of minor in a Tipp jersey and just shades it for me.

Brendan - Player of a generation, though mostly not in this position.

Paudie - Easy. One of the all time greats and would make any Tipp 15 no matter the criteria.

Tommy Dunne - The stand out candidate here. Class hurler, outstanding in 2001.

Noel McGrath - One of my favourite Tipp players, A prodigy since minor, and probably never really got a lot of the credit he deserved as even on a quiet day he would almost always hit 3 or 4 from play. A revelation at midfield last year and probably the best player in the country.

Michael Cleary - Standout candidate here. A class player.

Declan Ryan - With Noel gone, he is the standout here, long and illustrious career in the Jersey with an AI in 3 decades.

Lar - Might be some recency bias but picking Lar here. Not as many good years as the likes of Leahy, but he was better than Leahy at his best and the 3 years of 2009 -> 2011, he was just different gravy and not too many Tipp forwards have had a better spell than those 3 years.

FF line just picks itself really.
    Kelly, Callanan and English are 3 of the all time greats.

I'm still sick leaving Noel out, my hurler of the year last year and one of the most artful, dextrous hurlers I've seen. If i could justify putting Brendan at 6, it would free up 8 for Noel but Bobby Ryan was a colossus for us in his day, never the slickest or quickest, but a phenomenal reader of the game and towering inspiration. No way i could leave him out.

I'm still sick leaving Noel out, my hurler of the year last year and one of the most artful, dextrous hurlers I've seen. If i could justify putting Brendan at 6, it would free up 8 for Noel but Bobby Ryan was a colossus for us in his day, never the slickest or quickest, but a phenomenal reader of the game and towering inspiration. No way i could leave him out.

Was young at the time, but I wouldn't remember Bobby as being one of our standouts for the period. Very solid, ferocious competitor, a real stopper and solved a problem position for us. Somewhat similar to David Kennedy. but might be some recency bias and I was young at the time, but I wouldn't have had him up there with the likes of Noel, Brendan etc.

One thing that makes it harder to pick the players from previous eras like the 90s is how much more we see of the modern players.
    Like Nicky English has 35 champ appearances in 15 years. Paudie and Noel have 54 and 52 in 10. Some years we only saw them play 1 championship game.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Was young at the time, but I wouldn't remember Bobby as being one of our standouts for the period. Very solid, ferocious competitor, a real stopper and solved a problem position for us. Somewhat similar to David Kennedy. but might be some recency bias and I was young at the time, but I wouldn't have had him up there with the likes of Noel, Brendan etc.

One thing that makes it harder to pick the players from previous eras like the 90s is how much more we see of the modern players.
    Like Nicky English has 35 champ appearances in 15 years. Paudie and Noel have 54 and 52 in 10. Some years we only saw them play 1 championship game.

To my mind Bobby did what centre backs did that time, they stopped and held the line and provided assurance for those around and behind them. He was never going to do a Paidi, bursting clear and over the bar from 70 yards. Conal Bonnar was a far purer hurler, as was the unfortunate John Kennedy, but Bobby was the heartbeat of that team for me. Thats just my memory of it anyway.

You're right though about it being hard to compare. It's a very imperfect science. I have Bonner over Deccie and not sure i have that right at all.

Edit: it wasnt about picking Bobby over Noel per se, just the way the positions dictated. If brendan was available at 5, there'd have been no issue. Conal, though a fine lovely hurler, would have missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

1 B Cummins
    2 M Cahill
    3 R Curran
    4 C Barret
    5 B Maher
    6 B Ryan
    7 P Maher
    8 N McGrath
    9 T Dunne
    10 Aidan Ryan
    11 D Ryan
    12 J Leahy
    13 N English
    14 S Callanan
    15 E Kelly

John Leahy my favourite Tipp players is one of the first on the team sheet. A warrior, tough as nails, a leader of men. Going to war if i have Johny Leahy by my side i'm already feeling better. A fantastic hurler too. The player the opposition feared and loved to hate. He got a lot of punishment but could handle himself and dish out twice as much. A Tipperary legend.

That's one way of solving the Bobby/Brendan dilemma anyway!

1 B Cummins
    2 M Cahill
    3 R Curran
    4 C Barret
    5 B Maher
    6 B Ryan
    7 P Maher
    8 N McGrath
    9 T Dunne
    10 Aidan Ryan
    11 D Ryan
    12 J Leahy
    13 N English
    14 S Callanan
    15 E Kelly

John Leahy my favourite Tipp players is one of the first on the team sheet. A warrior, tough as nails, a leader of men. Going to war if i have Johny Leahy by my side i'm already feeling better. A fantastic hurler too. The player the opposition feared and loved to hate. He got a lot of punishment but could handle himself and dish out twice as much. A Tipperary legend.

A few players unlucky to miss out so a B team would be

1 K Hogan
    2 P Delaney
    3 P Maher
    4 P Shelly
    5 C Bonnar
    6 E Corcoran
    7 J Kennedy
    8 J Woodlock
    9 P Fitzelle
    10 M Cleary
    11 J Carroll
    12 Bonnar Maher
    13 P Fox
    14 Lar Corbett
    15 J McGrath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Good to see paudie maher and cummins recognized on Sunday games team of the year public poll. Dont know how we will replace paudie when hes gone. Always plays well on the big occasion. You know a players good when other counties complain about him.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Good to see paudie maher and cummins recognized on Sunday games team of the year public poll. Dont know how we will replace paudie when hes gone. Always plays well on the big occasion. You know a players good when other counties complain about him.

An absolute colossus for Tipperary and Thurles Sarsfields. In a great era for Tipperary hurling with 3 All-Ireland and some of the best players to ever wear the shirt, he has been the best of the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

robbiezero wrote: »
    An absolute colossus for Tipperary and Thurles Sarsfields. In a great era for Tipperary hurling with 3 All-Ireland and some of the best players to ever wear the shirt, he has been the best of the lot of them.

Few fellas on the KK thread are perplexed that he's on it. 6 All Stars must not count for much.

Was listening to that RTE podcast and although P Maher is in the top 3 of the people's vote the two guests on the show didn't have Paudie in their team. I think it was McManus from Antrim and Ken McGrath maybe (could be wrong). Both would have had JJ Delaney instead of Paudie.

Personally i would have JJ Delaney in there also but Paudie is a better player than Tommy Walsh in my opinion so my half back line would be

5 B Whelehan
    6 P Maher
    7 JJ Delaney

Then again i was listening to Anthony Daly's podcast of best Munster team of last 30 years i think and Daly, Mark Landers and TJ Ryan opted for Sean Og O Hailpin ahead of Paudie Maher at 7. That was laughable as O Hailpin not in the same class as Paudie.

Then again for the num 15 position Daly opted for Sparrow O Loughlin ahead of Eoin Kelly. My god it was farcical stuff :)

Id have jj delaney in full back line ahead of corcoran maybe or o Sullivan who was hit and miss but has a few highlight reel clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Was listening to that RTE podcast and although P Maher is in the top 3 of the people's vote the two guests on the show didn't have Paudie in their team. I think it was McManus from Antrim and Ken McGrath maybe (could be wrong). Both would have had JJ Delaney instead of Paudie.

Personally i would have JJ Delaney in there also but Paudie is a better player than Tommy Walsh in my opinion so my half back line would be

5 B Whelehan
    6 P Maher
    7 JJ Delaney

Then again i was listening to Anthony Daly's podcast of best Munster team of last 30 years i think and Daly, Mark Landers and TJ Ryan opted for Sean Og O Hailpin ahead of Paudie Maher at 7. That was laughable as O Hailpin not in the same class as Paudie.

Then again for the num 15 position Daly opted for Sparrow O Loughlin ahead of Eoin Kelly. My god it was farcical stuff :)
    For me it would be..

5 T Walsh
    6 P Maher
    7 JJ delaney

Brian Whelehan was a fantastic hurler but not a great defender... an alternative would be to move JJ into FB line as iebamm2580 suggests. JJ has to be on the team though. Tommy won an allstar on almost every line on the field chalk.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    For me it would be..

5 T Walsh
    6 P Maher
    7 JJ delaney

Brian Whelehan was a fantastic hurler but not a great defender... an alternative would be to move JJ into FB line as iebamm2580 suggests. JJ has to be on the team though. Tommy won an allstar on almost every line on the field chalk.

The problem with this RTE poll is JJ Delaney was nominated in the half back line. Otherwise i would have him in the full back line as ibamm suggested with Tommy wing back. That wasn't an option though for this team.

I realise Tommy won All Stars at corner back, wing back and wing forward and was a great player but for me Brian Whelehan was a better player and i'm sticking with

5 B Whelehan
    6 P Maher
    7 JJ Delaney

The problem with this RTE poll is JJ Delaney was nominated in the half back line. Otherwise i would have him in the full back line as ibamm suggested with Tommy wing back. That wasn't an option though for this team.

I realise Tommy won All Stars at corner back, wing back and wing forward and was a great player but for me Brian Whelehan was a better player and i'm sticking with

5 B Whelehan
    6 P Maher
    7 JJ Delaney
    You're entitled to your opinion my friend... I couldn't agree though. I think Tommy won an allstar at midfeild also and is described by Tipps Eoin Kelly as the best hurler of all time.

Jaysus that's a tough one. All compelling claims, could not in all conscience leave Brian Whelehan out of any team. One of the greats. Brian Corcoran there or thereabouts too. Why Diarmuid O'Sullivan is in the discussion I'm not sure, would have Lohan above him for starters.

Jaysus that's a tough one. All compelling claims, could not in all conscience leave Brian Whelehan out of any team. One of the greats. Brian Corcoran there or thereabouts too. Why Diarmuid O'Sullivan is in the discussion I'm not sure, would have Lohan above him for starters.
    I suppose a bit like P Maher on the KK thread I wouldn't expect Tommy to get too many votes around here :)

I suppose a bit like P Maher on the KK thread I wouldn't expect Tommy to get too many votes around here :)

I don't believe i said anything about not 'voting' for Tommy?

• Advertisement

i d have tommy in in no doubt i can see past my blue and gold glasses unlike some on the kk thread im sure you would agree, i again would consider leaving whelahan out and having jj paudie and tommy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement