Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Call yourself a tipp supporter and then stop supporting them because they went on a warm weather training to try best prepare themselves for championship! Not much of a supporter are you?

You have to remember money had been spent, upwards of 50k, money is tight, hard to just loose that for nothing. This had been organised for months.
    Players and management would have booked off college or work etc. They were going to an isolated training camp which was just themselves. They took medical advise before travelling. I wouldn't blame them for going. Just really bad timing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Sorry it is was this trip vital ???,no and the situation with the virus was starting to ramp up before they went both here and Spain I’m a tipp supporter and Gaa fan too .team holidays was jan and the county boards spent a small fortune on team last year (subbed by teneo)no need for amateur teams playing amateur sport to go on one of these trips ,if this Wax a rugby or soccer team there would be uproar but in the Gaa ...aghh it’s grand
    was it vital maybe not but if not directly advised not to go then why wouldnt they. They also took precautions over I imagine. Were they not one of the few if only people using areas so were not exposed to many people over there
    You cant compare a team holiday to a training camp. They are nothing alike. The only thing they share is they were both held abroad
    Call yourself a tipp supporter and then stop supporting them because they went on a warm weather training to try best prepare themselves for championship! Not much of a supporter are you?

You have to remember money had been spent, upwards of 50k, money is tight, hard to just lose that for nothing. This had been organised for months.
    Players and management would have booked off college or work etc. They were going to an isolated training camp which was just themselves. They took medical advise before travelling. I wouldn't blame them for going. Just really bad timing.
    yeah hard to lose... that money as may not necessarily be able to get it back and I'd not directly advised not to go would be bigger waste to not go at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Never given much consideration to these training camps but curious to how they work if anyone knows. It's taken place during school/college term. Are the teachers and college students excused or are they expected to take leave? Curious to know how they work. I don't think Kilkenny do them although I'm open to correction on that - I think our version is the weekend in Carton House.

A disgrace they went in first place not so long since there back from holidays going to loose lot of support for there recklessness

Ah now hold on a minute. They went on the Sunday based on the information they had at the time. The whole country didnt go into panic mode until Leo made the address on the Thursday re the schools closing as the cases were beginning to rapidly increase.

On a separate note, I was listening to people ringing into radio shows the day after in a dilemma about trips abroad and contributors were texting in encuraging them to go. Tipp cant be beaten up over this.

50000 irish travellers alone were stuck over in Spain. Then you had the Cheltenham travellers. How that wasnt cancelled is a mystery and down to sheer greed and stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think the whole point of them is to have the entire panel there to work on bonding and tactics, among the usual other things, so i doubt anyone is excused within reason. I'm sure they're given plenty of notice so cant imagine its too difficult to make the necessary arrangements or adjustments. Making sacrifices is par for the course for these lads, after all. Tipp do carton house quite a bit, or used to anyway. Most of the top counties do I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Anyway hopefully the championship is on this year because our main lads will be a year older and much harder to do back to back in 2021 with another year on the legs for some of them if its postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

The championship is the least of my worries.
    I’d say my jobs done this week for god knows how long. Never claimed a state benefit in 20 years bar child benefit.

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Anyway hopefully the championship is on this year because our main lads will be a year older and much harder to do back to back in 2021 with another year on the legs for some of them if its postponed.

The year off could also mean they are fresher for 2021. Rust is the fear factor here, not mileage :)

digzy wrote: »
    The championship is the least of my worries.
    I’d say my jobs done this week for god knows how long. Never claimed a state benefit in 20 years bar child benefit.

Sorry to hear that Digsy.

Best of luck to all contributors on this page and please stay safe in this time of uncertainty. We will prevail in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Whispers (yes I know, might be absolutely nothing in them) of going back to the old knockout format for this year.

• Advertisement

Whispers (yes I know, might be absolutely nothing in them) of going back to the old knockout format for this year.

Very hard to see any gaa back before August. Listening to Leo last night, things will get worse before they get better. I’d say the seasons over before it starts

Cant predict anything i dont think. You could be off till november and still theoretically run off a championship by end of year. Thats a good distance off.

If not, the silver lining is that tipp will not have failed in the back to back attempt so that monkey would be off our backs forever.

Cant predict anything i dont think. You could be off till november and still theoretically run off a championship by end of year. Thats a good distance off.

If not, the silver lining is that tipp will not have failed in the back to back attempt so that monkey would be off our backs forever.

Back to back isnt two consecutive years though, its two consecutive championships. Sorry to burst your bubble :D

Back to back isnt two consecutive years though, its two consecutive championships. Sorry to burst your bubble :D

Ah well, i thought it was worth a try anyway 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I think the whole point of them is to have the entire panel there to work on bonding and tactics, among the usual other things, so i doubt anyone is excused within reason. I'm sure they're given plenty of notice so cant imagine its too difficult to make the necessary arrangements or adjustments. Making sacrifices is par for the course for these lads, after all. Tipp do carton house quite a bit, or used to anyway. Most of the top counties do I'd imagine.

I think Tipp set aside a lot of the hurling work to be done in this camp.
    Last years league went fairly similarly to this years. Rusty looking, inaccurate, sloppy at times, all pointing to not a whole lot of stick work done.
    Last year in the space of two months, they went from that to playing the best hurling of any team in the country. I imagine a huge amount of stick work is done in that week of a camp.
    If championship is significantly delayed, then it probably is a bit of a waste, but at the time, they had no way of knowing what was coming.

robbiezero wrote: »
    I think Tipp set aside a lot of the hurling work to be done in this camp.
    Last years league went fairly similarly to this years. Rusty looking, inaccurate, sloppy at times, all pointing to not a whole lot of stick work done.
    Last year in the space of two months, they went from that to playing the best hurling of any team in the country. I imagine a huge amount of stick work is done in that week of a camp.
    If championship is significantly delayed, then it probably is a bit of a waste, but at the time, they had no way of knowing what was coming.

I'd agree a lot of emphasis will be on stick and ball work from this point of the season on. I think the point of camps abroad is just to have everybody away together, none of the distractions of home, so they can work on everything and that would include some heavy lifting, though nothing like boot camp proportions. I'd imagine a lot of talking sessions, bonding exercises, psychology stuff, players opening up etc. I've no idea really, just pure guesswork on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I wonder did their club doctor give advice on whether to travel or not. Around the same time, we had relations going to the canaries and my brother told them in no uncertain terms not to go. While this was before the whole thing blew up, medical practitioners had been informed of what was coming.

What’s done is done. Criticism of the county’s support staff is completely pointless at this stage. Most of us are practically self isolated now anyway.
    Can’t believe this is an issue for posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Have been watching the two johnnies posts over the last few days and much needed comic relief. Glad they are not socially distancing from each other.

Also when needing a bit of a boost I blare out this.

https://youtu.be/Clrk9L6Cc5U

The Dublin neighbours must think I’m nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Not necessarily. Big fan of listening to the podcast when out on the bike. Dunno how many times I've nearly fallen off during Noel's News, I was laughing so hard.

• Advertisement

It was reckless and unnesecarry money shouldn’t come into it are they any better than the crowd that went to Cheltenham ????trip shouldn’t of went ahead end of

Im not sure whether the flight was private or public but in Tipps defence, they were in relative privacy over the two week period. Fair to say that the world changed dramatically from the time they left Ireland to the time they came back. Although Ireland had some cases at that point, it was assumed the situation could be controlled. They probably should have held off but its possible they had a few grand of Declan Kellys money spent at that stage and felt under pressure to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sorry to hear that Digsy.

Best of luck to all contributors on this page and please stay safe in this time of uncertainty. We will prevail in the end.

Just like to echo those sentiments.

So sorry to hear that Digsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Tipperary All-Ireland-winning hurler Tom Larkin has passed away.

He was part of the Premier team that lifted the Liam MacCarthy Cup in 1958, thanks to a 4-09 to 2-05 victory over Galway.

Larkin, born in 1931, was also a talented footballer, representing Tipp's seniors and coaching his native Kilsheelan-Kilcash to county football titles in 1968 and 1972.

His club described him as "a star in every sense of the word".

"His homecoming as an All-Ireland medal winner... was one of the greatest events the parish has ever seen and the celebration that took place is part of the folklore of the area," Kilsheelan-Kilcash posted in a tribute on Facebook.

"Tom was a star at club level in every sense of the word. His role as team trainer with many club teams over the years was highly successful. His contribution as a team trainer was recognised and hugely appreciated by all the players of that era."

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

TIPPERARY GAA INSIST their Semple Stadium redevelopment plan is ‘a long-term project’ and accept that they will have to wait for the funding to help finance the upgrade which is envisaged to cost €8-9 million.

The Tipperary county board have been planning a major refurbishment of the Kinane Stand at their Thurles venue over the past couple of years.
    Planning permission has been granted for the project which will involve an extra tier aimed at putting in place corporate facilities and the installation of a gym to complement the county’s existing training facilities at the nearby Dr Morris Park.

Major constraints in GAA funding are now likely with all playing activity currently shut down and the 2020 championships set to impacted by the ongoing Covid-19 crisis.

But Tipperary secretary Tim Floyd insists they were always planning on playing a waiting game before the current public health crisis emerged with other stadium projects around the country a bigger priority for the GAA.

“This has been a project for two years really, all the design work and getting it ready for planning. It wasn’t an immediate project, it’s a long term project. It’ll probably be longer now in the present climate. We have planning permission now for five years and we’ve an opportunity to get the ball rolling within that five years. We’ve invested a few pound now in the design and everything so we hope it’ll eventually happen anyway.

The main thing is that we’ve a project ready to go now in the event of funding coming in. We know it’ll be slow enough now coming back from Croke Park and Government funding as well with everything that’s going on. We have it there now for when everything is right.

“We knew that anyway, when we did do a presentation to Croke Park last year, we were well down the pecking order because they had their designated projects, the likes of Walsh Park and Páirc Tailteann and Newbridge. But at least we wanted to get in there.

“It’ll take a year and a half to two years I’d say from the time you start. It’s all a second tier so there’s none of it actually on the ground floor. The existing structure is there so you’re building within it.”

Floyd felt there was a need to make improvements to compete with other major national stadia.

“We’re probably falling behind when you see a new stadium coming on stream like Páirc Uí Chaoimh and the developments that have gone on in Croke Park. It’s getting more difficult to maintain stadiums because it’s a costly exercise so we just wanted to have a plan and vision in place.

“Especially in the corporate side of it, we’ve a corporate area in the planning for 200-250 people with bar and kitchen facilities. That’s a big part of it because we’ve never really had that in Semple Stadium. It was lacking that.”

Tipperary had considered developing further their setup at Dr Morris Park with the lack of a gym owned by the county board proving a challenge in recent years for the training of their teams.

We in the county board don’t really have a gym and Semple Stadium doesn’t have a gym. We’re constantly hiring facilities like across the way in the LIT Campus. So we just needed to be self-sufficient and that was all part of the plan. The benefit of having the gym on that side of the stadium is it’ll be right next door to our training facilities in Dr Morris Park.

“We originally intended building a Centre of Excellence in Dr Morris Park. We had actually a plan drawn up and all, then we sat back and said, ‘Where’s the point in us building another new building?’

“We said we’d build it within the confines of Semple Stadium. That was the thinking behind it, we said we’d change our direction completely and decided to just build it within the stadium. We’d have access to the dressing-rooms there as well.”

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Tipperary All-Ireland-winning hurler Tom Larkin has passed away.

He was part of the Premier team that lifted the Liam MacCarthy Cup in 1958, thanks to a 4-09 to 2-05 victory over Galway.

Larkin, born in 1931, was also a talented footballer, representing Tipp's seniors and coaching his native Kilsheelan-Kilcash to county football titles in 1968 and 1972.

His club described him as "a star in every sense of the word".

"His homecoming as an All-Ireland medal winner... was one of the greatest events the parish has ever seen and the celebration that took place is part of the folklore of the area," Kilsheelan-Kilcash posted in a tribute on Facebook.

"Tom was a star at club level in every sense of the word. His role as team trainer with many club teams over the years was highly successful. His contribution as a team trainer was recognised and hugely appreciated by all the players of that era."

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

God rest Tom Larkin. Great to see Mark Kehoe and possibly also Paul Maher carrying the batton for the club these times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

RIP Tom Larkin

Happy easter fellow Tipperarians plus visitors to the page.

Has there been any artistic impression of the Kinane stand development released yet? So long as the poles are removed and the stand can be supported from the back (if possible), I honestly dont care what else they put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Happy easter fellow Tipperarians plus visitors to the page.

Has there been any artistic impression of the Kinane stand development released yet? So long as the poles are removed and the stand can be supported from the back (if possible), I honestly dont care what else they put in.
    Wilson architecture in cork were involved in designing the plans so maybe check their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

You can see the plans on the planning section of Tipperary County Council website but I don't think it shows the stand from the pitch view so it doesn't show if the poles are being removed.
    I doubt the poles are being removed to be honest.

It looks like this development is just putting in function room into the back of the stand, gym and dressing rooms rather than changing anything in the actual stand, as far as I can see.

I think the old stand, ie this stand is the better of the two stands in thurles and would prefer that the other one was redeveloped.

It's a pity the development of pairc ui chaoimh was not done in thurles. Thurles would be better location I think for major games.

• Advertisement

kala85 wrote: »
    You can see the plans on the planning section of Tipperary County Council website but I don't think it shows the stand from the pitch view so it doesn't show if the poles are being removed.
    I doubt the poles are being removed to be honest.

It looks like this development is just putting in function room into the back of the stand, gym and dressing rooms rather than changing anything in the actual stand, as far as I can see.

I think the old stand, ie this stand is the better of the two stands in thurles and would prefer that the other one was redeveloped.

It's a pity the development of pairc ui chaoimh was not done in thurles. Thurles would be better location I think for major games.

I couldnt find it on the Tipp CoCo planning site or at least not the up to date plans. Ill see if i can refine my search later.

Its disappointing if we are not modernising both roofs at least, in my view. I think the seating areas at present are decent, but in the modern age of stadium build, grounds should be completely free of viewing obstruction. I dont personally give a sh1t about bars or restaurants but in fairness i can see how such facilities can potentially generate a bit of revenue for the county board

Do we need a gym faciltity in the actual stadium? Surely this facility should be in Morris park where we train mostly at present?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement