Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The weight of the ball is fair enough but thats not the only reason why the game is so much improved than it was then. There is players now that could hurl in a phone box like Cian Lynch and John Mcgrath. Watched Limerick v Galway from 1980 a few weeks back and it was a struggle for them to get the ball on the bás at times.

No question skill levels have improved, the way and speed with which they move the ball through the lines can be breathtaking at times. Hurling is in great shape, I'd just see it as a slight concern that goal scoring is declining because, in the main, it's just a lot less hassle to take scores from further out. Maybe others dont see that as a negative, just the old schoolers among us.

I know some think we're in a golden age now, but i dont ever think we werent. The last decade has been great for us, but personally it doesn't match the enjoyment i got from 87-92, because frankly nothing ever could.

The 90s were great as well, even when we slipped back a little, while the 00s had their moments. I'm just never that bothered whether one era was better than another, it was all great and enjoyable as it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

The weight of the ball is fair enough but thats not the only reason why the game is so much improved than it was then. There is players now that could hurl in a phone box like Cian Lynch and John Mcgrath. Watched Limerick v Galway from 1980 a few weeks back and it was a struggle for them to get the ball on the bás at times.
    Bubbles is even more skilful but do you think either would win much (or any) ball against the likes of Keady/Finnerty/Linane under '88 rules/conditions-i don't and think they would be horsed out of it the way Tommy Dunne was for a few years. They are effective in today's game the way it is played and good luck to them but they can barely win their own ball even nowadays. I would have Declan and Leahy in there very time under '88 conditions.

hawkwing wrote: »
    Bubbles is even more skilful but do you think either would win much (or any) ball against the likes of Keady/Finnerty/Linane under '88 rules/conditions-i don't and think they would be horsed out of it the way Tommy Dunne was for a few years. They are effective in today's game the way it is played and good luck to them but they can barely win their own ball even nowadays. I would have Declan and Leahy in there very time under '88 conditions.

That's it. You adapt to whatever conditions prevail at the time, or you dont make it, as lots of good hurlers dont. That Finnerty/Keady/McInerney line was a monster. There's nothing, then or now, I'd want ahead of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

John McGrath is well able for the horsing and loves it. Would have thrived in any era.
    Bubbles ya, is probably not the combative wing forward type and would certainly have struggled with the supply of ball in the likes of the 88 final, but he has mixed it with the best too and beaten the likes of Paul Murphy and Tyrell etc.

Good forwards in those days too struggled when the ball supply was poor. English was the best forward in the game in 88 and hardly hit a ball up against a solid slogger in Conor Hayes, had he got a similar supply to Callanan in the 2016 final, he would have made hay.
    Cormac Bonnar and later Anthony Crosse made a big difference to the Tipperary full forward line as they became a focal point for all the long aimless balls hit in and did the heavy work for the likes of English and Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

2009 League Final
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb_CYshGroM

Uploaded today by the GAA. Great game despite the loss for Tipperary.

• Advertisement

No doubt many variables to consider Hawk. Frees are given a bit too soft at times today but some of the stuff that went on years ago was a joke.

Id honestly think the games are unbelievably intense and far more entertaining today. As the saying goes though, if we can see further its only because we stand on the shoulders of giants.

Yes you could make a case for one or two that would have that bit extra to adapt to todays game but for many past players, they seem adverse to the level of preparation in todays game which is expected of amateur athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Watched the 1980 leinster final. Some wicked belts

thesultan wrote: »
    Watched the 1980 leinster final. Some wicked belts

Is that the game Brendan Bermingham scored this unmerciful point from out near the Mater hospital? It barely got in the TG4 top 30 scores of all time but in my view it should have been number one. Wet ball carrying extra weight on a wet day and thats before you consider the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Watched the 1968 All Ire yesterday and have to say it was a fantastic game of hurling. From a commanding half time position of a 9 point lead Tipp only scored one solitary point in first 25 minutes of second half and Wexford just came at them in waves.

Mick Roche gave one of the best displays ive ever seen in an All Ireland final in the first half and was good in second half too. Without a doubt the best player on the field and a pleasure to see how great he really was.

Other good performances by Mick Burns, Len Gaynor, Donie Nealon and PJ Ryan in the middle and Babs was decent in first half. Jimmy Doyle shouldn't have played as he could hardly walk. Still scored one from play and only missed one free but he was limping badly and Francie Loughnane looked very dangerous when he replaced Doyle for last quarter.

Have to say i prefer that style of hurling than todays score a minute game. There is little physicality in modern day hurling in comparison. This game had it all. One of the great finals. Just a pity Tipp lost but i really enjoyed my Sunday afternoon watching it.

Watched the 1968 All Ire yesterday and have to say it was a fantastic game of hurling. From a commanding half time position of a 9 point lead Tipp only scored one solitary point in first 25 minutes of second half and Wexford just came at them in waves.

Mick Roche gave one of the best displays ive ever seen in an All Ireland final in the first half and was good in second half too. Without a doubt the best player on the field and a pleasure to see how great he really was.

Other good performances by Mick Burns, Len Gaynor, Donie Nealon and PJ Ryan in the middle and Babs was decent in first half. Jimmy Doyle shouldn't have played as he could hardly walk. Still scored one from play and only missed one free but he was limping badly and Francie Loughnane looked very dangerous when he replaced Doyle for last quarter.

Have to say i prefer that style of hurling than todays score a minute game. There is little physicality in modern day hurling in comparison. This game had it all. One of the great finals. Just a pity Tipp lost but i really enjoyed my Sunday afternoon watching it.

Couldnt agree more. Enjoyed it myself too. The atmosphere must have been electric for those that were there. Still prefer modern hurling though :)

Funny story related to this game. Jimmy O'Brien who had a stormer for Wexford has a brother in Clonmel selling cars. My father happened to buy a car from him a couple of years back with '1968' on the reg..... 'A timely reminder of the day we turned you over' says Eddie to the father :D

• Advertisement

Too young to have seen the 50s and 60s greats, but remember Francie Loughnane well, probably my first hero in the tipp jersey. Smashing little player, can recall being in cloughjordan for a league match v Galway, Francie rattling the net from about 30 yards and that was me smitten from then on. Later on, often made a point of stopping off in the pub while passing through and had the odd chat with him. Thorough gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

maybe over-acheievd a bit by having 6 tipp players on sunday game 15, some full forawrd line though english callanan and kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    maybe over-acheievd a bit by having 6 tipp players on sunday game 15, some full forawrd line though english callanan and kelly.

I follow Ray Boyne on Twitter and he's posted some great clips of all 3 in the last month or two.

Each unique in their own way but legends all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Alan Tynan was released by Munster last week. I'd imagine the Tipp football management would be monitoring the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Alan Tynan was released by Munster last week. I'd imagine the Tipp football management would be monitoring the situation.

Doubt he'll be back playing Gaelic. Will still be playing AIL if not interested in playing pro abroad. Wont have played any Gaelic in around 3 years

Even if he was gone from rugby altogether, would he be probably too physically built up for football now?

You'd imagine also that the contract releases could be as a reflection of the covid situation and having to cut costs rather than a reflection of Tynans actual level of talent?

Even if he was gone from rugby altogether, would he be probably too physically built up for football now?

You'd imagine also that the contract releases could be as a reflection of the covid situation and having to cut costs rather than a reflection of Tynans actual level of talent?
    he wont have bulked up too much. Especially if hes at the weight that his profile on munater website says hes at
    He didnt play for the full senior team for Munster and he didnt play much for the Munster A team so I dont think covid19 was reason he was cut. Most likely woulsnt have been signed on anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Pat McGrath hurled with Tipp in the late 80s. Any relation to noel and John?

thesultan wrote: »
    Pat McGrath hurled with Tipp in the late 80s. Any relation to noel and John?

Their Dad as far as I know. Fine hurler and footballer.

Could be out with the figures but i think it's 9 McGraths who currently hurl (and kick) for Loughmore - 3 brothers, sister and 5 cousins. And Pat had three brothers alongside him when they won first co title in late 80s. Fair contribution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Paddico

Cant believe no one bothered to stick this one up.
    Great news for Tipp Football

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/0617/1147914-boost-for-tipp-as-quinlivan-among-returning-quartet/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,666 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Good article, comes across very well and his positivity is heart warming. Looking forward to seeing him back in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Good article, comes across very well and his positivity is heart warming. Looking forward to seeing him back in action.

Delighted to see this. Horrific what happened to him. In general (don’t want to personalise this case as it’s his own business) what happens if a club or county player is injured while playing and can’t work because of the injury? Obviously there is insurance but is it sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

joeguevara wrote: »
    Delighted to see this. Horrific what happened to him. In general (don’t want to personalise this case as it’s his own business) what happens if a club or county player is injured while playing and can’t work because of the injury? Obviously there is insurance but is it sufficient?

I’d say it depends on who you are. I’d an ex county player from a local club have extensive dental treatment partially due to his gaa activities. They never do that for the average player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Paddico

he wont have bulked up too much. Especially if hes at the weight that his profile on munater website says hes at
    He didnt play for the full senior team for Munster and he didnt play much for the Munster A team so I dont think covid19 was reason he was cut. Most likely woulsnt have been signed on anyway

Surprised he hasnt made it, thought he looked the all round sports star.
    He could be an interesting addition to the footballers

Paddico wrote: »
    Surprised he hasnt made it, thought he looked the all round sports star.
    He could be an interesting addition to the footballers
    not that surprising. Never showed enough to get a pro contract with Munster
    He may have been good all rounder but not good enough to progress with Munster. Championship in England or prod2 in France only likely places he'll play now if playing peo anywhere

not that surprising. Never showed enough to get a pro contract with Munster
    He may have been good all rounder but not good enough to progress with Munster. Championship in England or prod2 in France only likely places he'll play now if playing peo anywhere

That would be a tough way to earn mediocre money for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

This winter hurling could suit our lads, best stick players in the country and should slow down some of the other teams as we are not blessed with pace, cork are screwed, limericks short running game could be difficult to pull off and wexford and kilkenny dont have the forwards to put up scores in difficult weather. between us lim and galway i reckon.

• Advertisement

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    This winter hurling could suit our lads, best stick players in the country and should slow down some of the other teams as we are not blessed with pace, cork are screwed, limericks short running game could be difficult to pull off and wexford and kilkenny dont have the forwards to put up scores in difficult weather. between us lim and galway i reckon.

Wont make much difference in croke park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement