Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Eoin Kelly has joined Sheedy's back room team as a selector.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Is that fundraiser in The Dome going ahead tomorrow night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/second-is-nowhere-for-murphy-and-kilkenny-970192.html

There not well down noreside, murphy thinks var could be useful for hogans red card but he would not have liked to see it used for limericks 65, its unbelievable the delusion down there.

Result from today

Tipperary 1-19 Clare 2-17

Jason Forde our standout player today, finishing with 0-14. A late Cathal McInerney point got Clare over the line. Good performances from Craig Morgan and Paddy Cadell.

• Advertisement

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/second-is-nowhere-for-murphy-and-kilkenny-970192.html

There not well down noreside, murphy thinks var could be useful for hogans red card but he would not have liked to see it used for limericks 65, its unbelievable the delusion down there.

Haha they are like the liberal left down there. Everything to suit their own agenda :D
    VAR would only confirm what the whole country is agreed on....a definite red all day long.

Anyway's things are looking up for the people of Kilkenny. They are getting a lovely new town bus service this coming Wednesday. Two of these blue and gold machines will be easing their way through the town from that day onwards :D

1576081618163.jpg--first_glimpse_of_kilkenny_s_new_city_bus___launching_next_wednesday.jpg?1576081618000

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/501100/first-glimpse-of-kilkenny-s-new-city-bus-launching-next-wednesday.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Personally I cannot fathom out why the 2019 Tipp U-16 hurling manager, was not given the minor gig for the Premier County in 2020? If I were a Tipp fan, I'll be asking myself the same question.

Since inter-county minor is now U-17 grade, personally there should be a GAA by-law in every county that all decisions relating to appointing minor managements of both codes, should be given to the respective Bord na Og Peil or Iomaint.

If implemented then that should mean that more coaches involved in respective development squads, getting more opportunities of coaching minor, U20 teams. That would be a most positive development going forward. Players will also benefit too with more continuity, with coaches they've had since they started playing for their county from U-14 level.
    I dont think there should have been same coach for minor as under 16 but there input should be part of coaches decision making process for initial squad for start of year.

For what reason should u17 be part of bord na Og as its directly inter county and a higher level grade and first real important inter county grade while still developmental. Minor doesnt have to go under control of bord na og to allow coaches be involved more in development squads at under age groups
    Players shouldn't have same coaches through different age groups anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

I dont think there should have been same coach for minor as under 16 but there input should be part of coaches decision making process for initial squad for start of year.

For what reason should u17 be part of bord na Og as its directly inter county and a higher level grade and first real important inter county grade while still developmental. Minor doesnt have to go under control of bord na og to allow coaches be involved more in development squads at under age groups
    Players shouldn't have same coaches through different age groups anyway.

I think if you look at my own county Clare and our recent successes in underage hurling, then that is the main reason why you should give coaches involved in development squads, a chance to prove themselves coaching at minor level.

Donal Moloney and Gerry O'Connor would not have been heard of, only for their involvement in the Clare development squads. Their goal was to develop the skillset of the underage Clare squads. Winning trophies pre-minor level was not their number one priority. It was that investment in putting skill development, at the forefront of player development, that gave Clare the minor and U21 successes from 2010-2014.

It is no coincidence that once we neglected that approach in minor level, mainly due to county board incompetence, we have contested 3 Munster finals from 2012-2019 and lost all three. In 2020 Tipp native Brian Coffey who managed Clare U15 and U16 in 2018 and 2019 respectively, is now the Clare minor hurling manager and I expect Clare to be strong contenders for provincial and All-Ireland honors come next summer.

This approach of promoting coaches involved in development squads to minor level and beyond, certainly worked in Clare. Look at football in Clare. In particular the influence of Colm Collins and where Clare football has achieved since 2014 under Colm's watch has been truly remarkable under limited resources.

Despite your reservations The Lost Sheep, I firmly believe that this a forward thinking progressive approach that rewards all our hard working and dedicated coaches that give their time and dedication. I cannot believe why we in Clare, did not continue with this approach post-2011 after Donal and Gerry left the minor gig for the U21 role. If Clare win the Munster and All-Ireland minor titles in 2020, then that would be the ultimate egg on the face of our county board.

Some counties do things differently, but in Clare if we want to replicate our underage successes in the early part of this decade, which crowned with Liam McCarthy glory in 2013, its the way that I have spent the previous five paragraphs that should be replicated and promoted by CB administrators and coaches throughout the Banner County.

You also mention bord na og. To cut it short, I would have far more faith if bord na og iomaint in Clare, made decisions about future inter-county minor managements then the county board. That would be an understatement

Donal Moloney will manage the Clare U15's in 2020, which is a great bit of work on the part of Bord na Og iomaint in Clare. I very much doubt if the Clare CB were involved in deciding county management teams from U14 up, then put it simply, Donal would do well if his name was even mentioned or discussed in the CB top table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Anyway's things are looking up for the people of Kilkenny. They are getting a lovely new town bus service this coming Wednesday. Two of these blue and gold machines will be easing their way through the town from that day onwards :D

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/501100/first-glimpse-of-kilkenny-s-new-city-bus-launching-next-wednesday.html

With a bit of luck it'll be a 192-T reg as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

The match tonight is on the The Irish Examiner Facebook page. Do you have to be on Facebook to view it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭big_drive

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    The match tonight is on the The Irish Examiner Facebook page. Do you have to be on Facebook to view it?

Probably not, you’d probably still be able to access it through the link

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ompala wrote: »

Just watching this on YouTube TV app, video quality is really poor, can't see the ball at all, anyone know if it's available anywhere else?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭johntune

Just watching this on YouTube TV app, video quality is really poor, can't see the ball at all, anyone know if it's available anywhere else?

It's on TG4 on Stephen's Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Better quality here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg8jouiuCHE

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mickdoocey

watched wexford and kilkenny games last night
    wexford was some finish to a game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

mickdoocey wrote: »
    watched wexford and kilkenny games last night
    wexford was some finish to a game

Two things

1 wexford pushed our best underage team to the limits in 2014 an everyone forgot about them

2 in order to player Davy Fitz hurling you need a physical team

To be fair to wexford they were both physicall and talented it. Really was a great game, but best team in the country won out

Two things

1 wexford pushed our best underage team to the limits in 2014 an everyone forgot about them

2 in order to player Davy Fitz hurling you need a physical team

To be fair to wexford they were both physicall and talented it. Really was a great game, but best team in the country won out

wexford were very unlucky and I think if they had beat us they would have won the all Ireland, just a feeling.
    It really was a cracker of a game.
    I reckon outside tipp and limerick this year coming, I would have wexford, galway and cork in that order as next in line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

wexford were very unlucky and I think if they had beat us they would have won the all Ireland, just a feeling.
    It really was a cracker of a game.
    I reckon outside tipp and limerick this year coming, I would have wexford, galway and cork in that order as next in line

I'm not sure I would agree that they were unlucky. Almost everything went their way on the day, but they either got tired or just started sitting back defensively and abandoning what had worked so well for them previously in the game.
    Other than Barry Heffernan staying on the field after the punch, they got most of the breaks going on the day.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    I'm not sure I would agree that they were unlucky. Almost everything went their way on the day, but they either got tired or just started sitting back defensively and abandoning what had worked so well for them previously in the game.
    Other than Barry Heffernan staying on the field after the punch, they got most of the breaks going on the day.

i mean unlucky in the sense they were a whisker away from winning
    i suppose i am being kind and not using the word choked.
    if john McGrath had not been sent off would it have altered the result?
    wexford had some bad wides when game was tied near the finish of the game.
    tipp were worthy winners though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Good questions. Personally i think tipp werent best suited to cope with the running from deep game wexford (and limerick) played and got away with it on account of sheer character and desire willing it. I mean, who on here could have pointed pre match to barry heffernan and seamie kennedy having such massive roles to play? I could be wrong but im pretty sure liam sheedy isnt posting on here.

Good questions. Personally i think tipp werent best suited to cope with the running from deep game wexford (and limerick) played and got away with it on account of sheer character and desire willing it. I mean, who on here could have pointed pre match to barry heffernan and seamie kennedy having such massive roles to play? I could be wrong but im pretty sure liam sheedy isnt posting on here.

not me , I thought Heffernan and kennedy were not going to reach the levels they did.
    seamie kennedy and Heffernan were brilliant in semi and final.

if I were to pin point the reasons tipp won the all ireland it was
    noel mcgrath went to another level and was his best year, bubbles and barrett were back to top form which for me is crucial - for me these 2 boys are key to everything, and seamie callinan was usual brilliance.

more of the same this year and I think we will again.

not me , I thought Heffernan and kennedy were not going to reach the levels they did.
    seamie kennedy and Heffernan were brilliant in semi and final.

if I were to pin point the reasons tipp won the all ireland it was
    noel mcgrath went to another level and was his best year, bubbles and barrett were back to top form which for me is crucial - for me these 2 boys are key to everything, and seamie callinan was usual brilliance.

more of the same this year and I think we will again.

Noel was my hurler of the year, just by a snot, as ted walsh might say on the racing, ahead of seamie and horgan with tj in the mix too. More than delighted for seamie to get it, but it was noel for his all round brilliance that shaded it for me.

Noel was my hurler of the year, just by a snot, as ted walsh might say on the racing, ahead of seamie and horgan with tj in the mix too. More than delighted for seamie to get it, but it was noel for his all round brilliance that shaded it for me.

Would agree but Seamie getting the 8 goals from play in 8 games is hard to overlook.

Best of luck to Borrisoleigh. Pity they're having to play this under lights.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Ya fair enough. Not sure what happened Wexford, did they run out of steam or did they just decide after Chins goal that if they didn't concede a goal, they would win the game and set up accordingly.
    The withdrew the sweeper behind the full back line and stopped doing short puckouts (a massive help to Tipp, them pucking long ball on top of the Maher line)

Tight but think borrisoleigh have the edge in this, stronger and first to the breaks. Brendan and dan could step up a bit more you'd think, hurling well within themselves.

Exceptional from Borris, fair play to them. Defied all expectations so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Paddico

Nice win for Tipp seniors over the Kingdom.
    Not a strong Kerry team out but a win over them at any level is always a nice boost.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    Ya fair enough. Not sure what happened Wexford, did they run out of steam or did they just decide after Chins goal that if they didn't concede a goal, they would win the game and set up accordingly.
    The withdrew the sweeper behind the full back line and stopped doing short puckouts (a massive help to Tipp, them pucking long ball on top of the Maher line)

i think it was a lack of experience, the senior tipp players have been through a lot.
    I think there might be an all Ireland in that wexford team, they need more experience and less reliance on davy fitz.
    sticking to a system and structure is fine but there will be times you must play whats in front of you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement