Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Ompala wrote: »
    Tipp Fixtures for the National Hurling League 2020

Round 1 Saturday 25th January Tipperary vs Limerick 17:15 Semple Stadium

Round 2 Saturday 1st February Cork vs Tipperary 19:00 Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Round 3 Sunday 16th February Galway vs Tipperary 14:00 Pearse Stadium

Round 4 Sunday 23rd February Tipperary vs Westmeath 14:00 MacDonagh Park Nenagh

Round 5 Sunday 1st March Tipperary vs Waterford 14:00 Semple Stadium

Be very interesting to see what approach Sheedy takes to the league, if you were to win the league it would mean possibly playing 6 games in 6 weeks which is not ideal in February/March and then have the players go and play upto 4 games with their clubs in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Pogue eile wrote: »
    the players go and play upto 4 games with their clubs in April.

No chance in hell that will happen!

The Club Break of 5 weeks yet again will be dictated to suit the inter-county scene.

shmeee wrote: »
    No chance in hell that will happen!

The Club Break of 5 weeks yet again will be dictated to suit the inter-county scene.

There is a 7 week break between League final and first game v Waterford

And I'm talking about players from dual clubs. We played 3 last year and there are two extra weekend this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Be very interesting to see what approach Sheedy takes to the league, if you were to win the league it would mean possibly playing 6 games in 6 weeks which is not ideal in February/March and then have the players go and play upto 4 games with their clubs in April.

Will bet we wont see brendan, paidi, seamie and those lads until march at the earliest. So many new lads to be blooded and the likes of heffernan, kennedy and jason can make the step up to be leaders. No disaster to not be in latter stages but think all games will be useful enough. Good position to be in.

There is a 7 week break between League final and first game v Waterford

And I'm talking about players from dual clubs. We played 3 last year and there are two extra weekend this year.

Clubs are only getting a 5 week window as released by the GAA in their master fixture plan yesterday.

The McGarths and them wont be playing more than 3 games you can be sure.

Be one round of hurling maybe a divisional round and then football.

We won the All Ireland this year and to be fair, the club season flowded nicely afterwards and wasn't a huge overload of midweek games apart from a few dual clubs.

• Advertisement

Clubs are only getting a 5 week window as released by the GAA in their master fixture plan yesterday.

The McGarths and them wont be playing more than 3 games you can be sure.

Be one round of hurling maybe a divisional round and then football.

We won the All Ireland this year and to be fair, the club season flowded nicely afterwards and wasn't a huge overload of midweek games apart from a few dual clubs.

Croke Park's master fixture plan is not binding on individual county boards, they can do as they see fit outside of the intercounty season.

The McGraths played 4 games last April in a shorter window.

It is being discussed currently to finish the divisional championships in April.

The club scene did in no way flow nicely, it was a joke with teams being forced to play 3 games in 7 days after waiting 5 months for a game. Loughmore as a result threw the Mid Championship, Kiladangan were forced to withdraw from the Senior Football Championship and there were a litany of clubs who had to decimate their second teams as a result of the injuries and suspensions that their first teams endured as a result of the fixture backlog.

I am going to assume you are not a club player from your comments? There is a reason you know why the CPA withdrew from the fixtures committee.

Croke Park's master fixture plan is not binding on individual county boards, they can do as they see fit outside of the intercounty season.

The McGraths played 4 games last April in a shorter window.

It is being discussed currently to finish the divisional championships in April.

The club scene did in no way flow nicely, it was a joke with teams being forced to play 3 games in 7 days after waiting 5 months for a game. Loughmore as a result threw the Mid Championship, Kiladangan were forced to withdraw from the Senior Football Championship and there were a litany of clubs who had to decimate their second teams as a result of the injuries and suspensions that their first teams endured as a result of the fixture backlog.

I am going to assume you are not a club player from your comments? There is a reason you know why the CPA withdrew from the fixtures committee.

I am involved with a club, we had no major issues ( 3 games in a week etc) so I was not at the front line of it therefore.

Loughmore have the same problem every year, and this year they just took it upon themselves to do what they did, which was very unlike them who go out to win every game.

Kildangan had only one focus this year and if any one tells you different then it's BS, they got into 2 County Hurling Finals and this was because they said good luck to the big ball.

Clubs need to make a stance and refuse point blank to play games or else another year of getting pushed around will happen. Or else just split the season in half and at least give club players a set period of when games will happen. Training in February for one game in April to then wait until September to hit a ball again. That's the start of the problem!

Training in February for one game in April to then wait until September to hit a ball again. That's the start of the problem!

Exactly, and that's why I am saying there will be more games this year that last between the National League and Munster Championship than last year, the clubs who make up 99.99% of the playing population have had enough.

Exactly, and that's why I am saying there will be more games this year that last between the National League and Munster Championship than last year, the clubs who make up 99.99% of the playing population have had enough.

What about these "training camps" which will pop up again.

What do you think is a fair amount of games?

2 in each code played?

Be hard to run off some of the divisional championships, especially the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Tipp Fixtures for the National Hurling League 2020

Round 1 Saturday 25th January Tipperary vs Limerick 17:15 Semple Stadium

Round 2 Saturday 1st February Cork vs Tipperary 19:00 Pairc Ui Chaoimh

Round 3 Sunday 16th February Galway vs Tipperary 14:00 Pearse Stadium

Round 4 Sunday 23rd February Tipperary vs Westmeath 14:00 MacDonagh Park Nenagh

Round 5 Sunday 1st March Tipperary vs Waterford 14:00 Semple Stadium

Also while I'm at it, here are the Football fixtures for the National League

Round 1 Sunday 26th January Tipperary vs Down 14:00 Clonmel GAA Pitch

Round 2 Sunday 2nd February Louth vs Tipperary 14:00 Gaelic Grounds Drogheda

Round 3 Sunday 9th February Derry vs Tipperary 13:00 Derry GAA Centre Owenbeg

Round 4 Saturday 22nd February Tipperary vs Cork 19:00 Semple Stadium

Round 5 Sunday 1st March Longord vs Tipperary 14:30 Glennon Bros. Pearse Park

Round 6 Sunday 15th March Tipperary vs Offaly 14:00 Semple Stadium

Round 7 Sunday 22nd March Leitrim vs Tipperary 14:00 Pairc Sean Mac Diarmada

• Advertisement

What about these "training camps" which will pop up again.

What do you think is a fair amount of games?

2 in each code played?

Be hard to run off some of the divisional championships, especially the North.

I think if Liam Sheedy or whoever it maybe wants a trainning camp away with the players, there are plenty of other times this can happen, County board need to remember they are represernting the Clubs first and foremost and be stronger with Inter county managment, fair but strong.

I would strongly agree with the proposal to play the divisions to a finish, even in North Tipp its only 4 rounds and your not impacted by football to the extent of other divisions. Also it avoids the farce of starting two competitions in April and not completing either for at least 6 months.

There was a motion that was very narrowly defeated at the convnetion which wopuld have been perfect, they proposed to also seperate the divisions between Dan Breen teams and the Seamus Ui Riann teams, if the relevant division chose fit. For the North 7 teams in each, 3 rounds and an extra 7 teams with an actual chance of winninig a trophy. Incredibly two clubs in the North out of hte 14 actually voted against it, two clubs that have about as much chance of winning a North Senior title in its current guise as I have of winning Miss World!

Also while I'm at it, here are the Football fixtures for the National League

Round 1 Sunday 26th January Tipperary vs Down 14:00 Clonmel GAA Pitch

Round 2 Sunday 2nd February Louth vs Tipperary 14:00 Gaelic Grounds Drogheda

Round 3 Sunday 9th February Derry vs Tipperary 13:00 Derry GAA Centre Owenbeg

Round 4 Saturday 22nd February Tipperary vs Cork 19:00 Semple Stadium

Round 5 Sunday 1st March Longord vs Tipperary 14:30 Glennon Bros. Pearse Park

Round 6 Sunday 15th March Tipperary vs Offaly 14:00 Semple Stadium

Round 7 Sunday 22nd March Leitrim vs Tipperary 14:00 Pairc Sean Mac Diarmada

Two chances for Double Headers there but no consdieration for supporters again.

There was a motion that was very narrowly defeated at the convnetion which wopuld have been perfect, they proposed to also seperate the divisions between Dan Breen teams and the Seamus Ui Riann teams, if the relevant division chose fit. For the North 7 teams in each, 3 rounds and an extra 7 teams with an actual chance of winninig a trophy. Incredibly two clubs in the North out of hte 14 actually voted against it, two clubs that have about as much chance of winning a North Senior title in its current guise as I have of winning Miss World!

But clubs feel that, a motion like such is a step to turning our Senior B clubs into Premier Intermediate grade, which clubs won't agree too.

They have no problem going the opposite way in the boardroom.

But clubs feel that, a motion like such is a step to turning our Senior B clubs into Premier Intermediate grade, which clubs won't agree too.

They have no problem going the opposite way in the boardroom.

It was only defeated by two votes so there is certainly an appettite for change, some clubs might be happy to delude themselves that they are Senior but that's all it ultiamately is, is delusion. The imbalance in the Divisions and the continued link between the Divisions and Dan Breen adds another layer of problems.

Goes along way to explaining out patethic record in the Munster Club Chapionships since we allowed teams to decide themselves what grade they would like to play in and started naming grades a grade above what they they actually are. Just as an example this year Sean Tracey's who are the 32nd team in Tipp are pitted against the 13th team from Waterford, when in reality it should have been our 17th team JK Brackens with Sean Tracey's competing in the Junior Championship, both clubs would have strongly fancied their chances.

My own 2 cents on our league - I'd prefer to be out earlier to be honest. Not pushed about the league in terms of winning it.

We reached the finals in 2017 & 2018 and suffered heavy defeats both times. I don't think its a coincidence that we were very poor in our first championship games after these.

I recall vs Cork in 2017 in particular we were very lethargic on the ball. Seemed the whole team was burnt out.

I'd prefer us to get a chance to blood some of the new lads. No harm in keeping some of the class of 2010 stalwarts in reserve a bit. We have a lot of young players like Mark Kehoe, Jake Morris, Ger Browne and Brian McGrath to try out.

In particular, are we going to stick with Ronan at full back going forward. Him covering back there played a massive role in winning us the All Ireland this year. Is Heffernan going to stay in the full back line? Would Killian O Dwyer be better to try in the corner back slot and keep Heffernan in the half back line given his aerial ability?

Up front, we have a lot of combination of forwards we could try. Would like to see O'Meara and Kehoe tried in the wing forward positions. They seem to be fond of taking on their man when they get ball in hand and have good movement for puck outs.

Lots of pieces for SHeedy to ponder, and I'm sure I only scratched the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Will Paul Collins remain on as Tipperary minor hurling manager for 2020?

Confirmation that Paul Collins will remain on, along with his selectors in the minor management role for 2020, for a second year of their 2 yr. term.

Confirmation that Paul Collins will remain on, along with his selectors in the minor management role for 2020, for a second year of their 2 yr. term.

Last years minor team was all over the shop. Complete mismanagement. Similar this year and he should never see a Tipperary job again suppose its a water carrier.

Last years minor team was all over the shop. Complete mismanagement. Similar this year and he should never see a Tipperary job again suppose its a water carrier.

Clare will be the favorites along with Galway for the All-Ireland minor hurling championship in 2020. Tipp native Brian Coffey is a very impressive manager and will do very well with Clare. Very surprised at how poor Tipp minors were in 2019.

Cork will be contenders also but I have major reservations about Donal Og Cusack as Cork minor manager. While Richie Mulrooney who will manage Kilkenny for 2020, personally I have doubts about him too. Dublin should be thereabouts. Laois with Derek McGrath as coach will also be interesting. Limerick will also be competitive and are the current Munster minor champions. Will be an interesting championship come 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭klose

Massively disappointing stuff from commercials today who ended up getting bet out the gate and lost by 9 (bookies had the spread at 2 points) hard luck lads.

Clare will be the favorites along with Galway for the All-Ireland minor hurling championship in 2020. Tipp native Brian Coffey is a very impressive manager and will do very well with Clare. Very surprised at how poor Tipp minors were in 2019.

Cork will be contenders also but I have major reservations about Donal Og Cusack as Cork minor manager. While Richie Mulrooney who will manage Kilkenny for 2020, personally I have doubts about him too. Dublin should be thereabouts. Laois with Derek McGrath as coach will also be interesting. Limerick will also be competitive and are the current Munster minor champions. Will be an interesting championship come 2020.

Tipp will be right there this year as well, in fact I was at the Arrabawn final two years ago where Clare beat Tipp by a point after Tipp playing with 14 men for a part of the game, there was absolutely nothing in that match

• Advertisement

Tipp will be right there this year as well, in fact I was at the Arrabawn final two years ago where Clare beat Tipp by a point after Tipp playing with 14 men for a part of the game, there was absolutely nothing in that match

I would 110% plus agree with you Pogue eile, re Tipp being serious All-Ireland minor contenders under normal circumstances. However the performances of the 2019 Tipp minor crop were most disappointing.

The minor manager this year was Paul Collins, and he will do so again in 2020. The team were not good under his management this year and unless he along with the rest of his management team, really step it up from the 2019 performances, then I think that Tipp will struggle in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Tipp hammered a full strength Clare side in the semi final of the Mallow U16 this yr. Clare looked like whipping boys that day.

Tipp hammered a full strength Clare side in the semi final of the Mallow U16 this yr. Clare looked like whipping boys that day.

Tipp 2-15 Clare 1-9 was the final score in that game. The match itself was played in difficult conditions, which suited the more physical team on the day. Tipp were miles ahead of Clare in terms of physical development, which here in Clare is a huge cause of concern, among Clare hurling supporters.

The final between Cork and Tipp, was a cracking good match. Cork won 3-21 to 3-16. While Clare won the third place (shield final), beating Limerick 3-17 to 2-8.

Personally I cannot fathom out why the 2019 Tipp U-16 hurling manager, was not given the minor gig for the Premier County in 2020? If I were a Tipp fan, I'll be asking myself the same question.

Since inter-county minor is now U-17 grade, personally there should be a GAA by-law in every county that all decisions relating to appointing minor managements of both codes, should be given to the respective Bord na Og Peil or Iomaint.

If implemented then that should mean that more coaches involved in respective development squads, getting more opportunities of coaching minor, U20 teams. That would be a most positive development going forward. Players will also benefit too with more continuity, with coaches they've had since they started playing for their county from U-14 level.

Personally I cannot fathom out why the 2019 Tipp U-16 hurling manager, was not given the minor gig for the Premier County in 2020? If I were a Tipp fan, I'll be asking myself the same question.

To be fair Collins and his team were given a two year job in 2018 and he was very upfront about 2020 being the target for the particualr group of players he had, I dont neccessarily agree with that approach but obviously the County Board were happy to go along with it. Collins was part of Tommy Dunne's managment team in 2018 also so its not as if he came from no where. Shane McGrath is also an excellent coach.

Ultimately this managment team will be judged on this years results, although I do agree that last year left alot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Not sure what McGrath has done to be called an excellent coach but next year will tell the tale.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Not sure what McGrath has done to be called an excellent coach but next year will tell the tale.

Just my personal opinion having worked with him, I recall having a very interesting conversation with a county board official 3/4 years ago where I offered the opinion that Shane, Brendan Maher and Darragh Egan would all excel in coaching, nothin I have seen thus far would change my mind. From my experince of the three lads, players just buy into them and will go that extra yard for them. I don't think its any coincidence that all three are teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of us looking to rewatch the Semi. Surely someone has it saved or copied somewhere??

Tallowman has the tipp v laois 1/4 up now, hopefully the semi will be up before/over the Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Lads im looking for a tipperary gym/beach towel for Christmas present, any place in south tipp they can be found, any help be great cheers.

Tallowman has the tipp v laois 1/4 up now, hopefully the semi will be up before/over the Christmas

Limerick vs Kilkenny semi final up now, so hopefully soon the other semi will be up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Saw that. Should be good. Some great stuff on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement