Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Paddico

Thats a big loss now for promotion hopes.

Fair play to anyone who made the trip.
    Think the 'friends' ran a bus

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is it correct that tipp didn't score from play in the whole game?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Pogue eile wrote: »
    To be fair it was Tipp who insisted on the second inspection and wanted to play, as they had travelled up the night before.

Yes but i think that HQ knowing that bad weather was coming should have rescheduled it. I can understand Tipp position but it was too late in the day at that stage.

Paddico wrote: »
    Thats a big loss now for promotion hopes.

Fair play to anyone who made the trip.
    Think the 'friends' ran a bus

Down were beaten the weekend so all isnt lost yet. We can win the home games. It was a loss on a horrible shítty weekend where hours of travelling were involved. Admittedly the toughest challenge to come in Thurles against Cork under lights on the 23rd but its not beyond us to get a win. Then we have Longford, Offaly, and Leitrim. 3 very winnable games.

Derry still have to go to Cork. Down are probably the team who have a better run in from here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Is it correct that tipp didn't score from play in the whole game?

Correct and right, they are playing about 9 defenders with their current set up, crazy stuff when you consider one of the primary factors for Tipp's break through season was that they were actually playing attractive, shackles off, attacking football.

• Advertisement

Yes but i think that HQ knowing that bad weather was coming should have rescheduled it. I can understand Tipp position but it was too late in the day at that stage.

HQ have no role, unless they are cancelling all matches across the board which was never going to happen. If all games were called off 24 hours in advance because of a weather warning we would never get any competition finished ever.

Correct and right, they are playing about 9 defenders with their current set up, crazy stuff when you consider one of the primary factors for Tipp's break through season was that they were actually playing attractive, shackles off, attacking football.

That's quite sad and it must be a first.

Best scenario is probably enter the 2nd tier and try and win that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

. Admittedly the toughest challenge to come in Thurles against Cork under lights on the 23rd but its not beyond us to get a win.

Realistically we are miles behind Cork, we are averaging 9 pts per game and can't manage to keep 15 players on the field at any one time, Cork are averaging double that. Division 3 is our level right now, Cork are a Division 2 team at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Paddico

If we beat Cork that will be huge

HQ have no role, unless they are cancelling all matches across the board which was never going to happen. If all games were called off 24 hours in advance because of a weather warning we would never get any competition finished ever.

The storm was warned three days in advance at least

• Advertisement

Realistically we are miles behind Cork, we are averaging 9 pts per game and can't manage to keep 15 players on the field at any one time, Cork are averaging double that. Division 3 is our level right now, Cork are a Division 2 team at the very least.

Yeah sadly its true. Every dog has its day though. I dont know how its gone so wrong for us. We had a promising group of young players a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭klose

Yeah sadly its true. Every dog has its day though. I dont know how its gone so wrong for us. We had a promising group of young players a few years ago

It's hard to keep momentum when we constantly lose any quality players we have, o Riordan, acheson and quinliven. How would we be if we still had all 3? Nobody knows.

Whatever chance we had of regaining promotion to division 2 was gone when Quinliven went travelling (and fair play to him for living his life)

I've heard from around town that this will probably be sweeneys last season too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

100kph winds being forecast for Galway on Sunday afternoon. A reasonable chance that the match will be called off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    100kph winds being forecast for Galway on Sunday afternoon. A reasonable chance that the match will be called off.

Been wondering about this alright. I'd love to go to cheer the lads on but Pearse Stadium is not a nice place to be when the weather is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

If the match does end up going ahead, Tipp team will line out as follows
    1. Brian Hogan
    2. Cathal Barrett
    3. Barry Heffernan
    4. Sean O'Brien
    5. Seamus Kennedy
    6. Padraic Maher
    7. Ronan Maher
    8. Alan Flynn
    9. Michael Breen
    10. Jake Morris
    11. John O Dwyer
    12. Cian Darcy
    13. John McGrath
    14. Seamus Callanan (C)
    15. Jason Forde
    16. Barry Hogan
    17. Ger Browne
    18. Willie Connors
    19. Paul Flynn
    20. Paul Maher
    21. Brian McGrath
    22. Craig Morgan
    23. Joe O'Dwyer
    24. Bryan O'Mara
    25. Niall O'Meara
    26. Dillon Quirke

Paddy Cadell, Mark Kehoe and Killian O'Dwyer were part of the UCC team that won the Fitzgibbon Cup Wednesday Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Looks like a team picked with a result in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The team and their clubs

1 Brian Hogan – Lorrha-Dorrha
    2 Cathal Barrett – Holycross-Ballycahill
    3 Barry Heffernan – Nenagh Éire Óg
    4 Seán O’Brien – Newport
    5 Séamus Kennedy – St. Mary’s
    6 Padraic Maher – Thurles Sarsfields
    7 Ronan Maher – Thurles Sarsfields
    8 Alan Flynn – Kiladangan
    9 Michael Breen – Ballina
    10 Jake Morris – Nenagh Éire Óg
    11 John O’Dwyer – Killenaule
    12 Cian Darcy – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    13 John McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney
    14 Séamus Callanan (Capt.) – Drom-Inch
    15 Jason Forde – Silvermines

16 Barry Hogan – Kiladangan
    17 Ger Browne – Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams
    18 Willie Connors – Kiladangan
    19 Paul Flynn – Kiladangan
    20 Paul Maher -Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    21 Brian McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney
    22 Craig Morgan – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    23 Joe O’Dwyer – Killenaule
    24 Bryan O’Mara – Holycross-Ballycahill
    25 Niall O’Meara – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    26 Dillon Quirke – Clonoulty-Rossmore

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

you cant have that attitude or you would never finish any competition ever or at least near as scheduled.
    spot on. Has to be exceptionally bad either the pitch pr in very extreme situations if pitch Is ok the roads nearby for a game to be postponed. All too often especially at club level in the gaa games are postponed far too easily/quickly.
    Looks like a team picked with a result in mind.
    ran into darragh Egan in Nenagh today. He was saying tipp been training 5 days a week recently so are in catch up as they're doing so much heavy work that others will have done earlier in the season.. so priorities are elsewhere for now. Will be interesting when they change that up as that's a lot of work to be doing on top of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Based on last year i would have expected to see a lot more of Ger Browne in the league, anyone know if he's been injured?
    Also any news on why Brian McGrath hasn't had a run? Not convinced he has the speed for intercounty but would like to see him get a run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

OAOB wrote: »
    Based on last year i would have expected to see a lot more of Ger Browne in the league, anyone know if he's been injured?
    Also any news on why Brian McGrath hasn't had a run? Not convinced he has the speed for intercounty but would like to see him get a run

I saw Ger at the county semi final last year with a cast on his leg.

• Advertisement

Seems very similar to last year with the younger lads seemingly not stepping up.

I would be worried about a few of the younger labs, there's a few of them light and small and against the likes of Galway and limerick they'd be eaten up.

Is Gerry Kelly in the squad?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

The Harty Cup Final has fallen victim to the weather. I can't see the match going ahead in Salthill tomorrow. Could it be moved to an alternative pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Seems very similar to last year with the younger lads seemingly not stepping up.

I would be worried about a few of the younger labs, there's a few of them light and small and against the likes of Galway and limerick they'd be eaten up.

Not sure what sheedys approach is. I get impression, looking back to first time around as well, that young lads will get the chance but they have to earn it. He wont just throw a bunch of them in just for the sake of being blooded. Hard to know what goes on around the squad and behind closed doors in training, but thats just feeling i get.

Nevertheless, both cadell and kehoe look proper senior players and darcy could be a useful addition too. Realistically 4 or 5 is as many as you could expect new any year and i still think there's time for the likes of browne, b's McGrath and omara to put their hands up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Ahead of their Munster U20 Football Championship Quarter-Final next Wednesday, February 19th, against Limerick in the LIT Gaelic Grounds, manager Tom McGlinchey has announced his championship panel which is as follows

1. Adam McGrath (Galtee Rovers)
    2. AJ Willis (Portroe)
    3. Billy Murphy (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)
    4. Billy O’Connor (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)
    5. Brian McKeown (Moyle Rovers)
    6. Christy English (Ballyporeen)
    7. Ciaran O’Dwyer (Killenaule)
    8. Conal Moran (Shannon Rovers)
    9. Conor Anderson (Clonmel Óg)
    10. Conor Ryan (Loughmore-Castleiney)
    11. Conor Shanahan (Inane Rovers)
    12. Darragh O’Leary (Ardfinnan)
    13. Diarmuid Mulcahy (Moyle Rovers)
    14. Eanna McBride (JK Brackens)
    15. Eoghan Power (Ballina)
    16. Fabian Kerton (Clonmel Óg)
    17. Jamie Holloway (Carrick Swan)
    18. Kevin Grogan (Cahir)
    19. Kuba Beben (JK Brackens)
    20. Kyle Shelly (Moycarkey-Borris)
    21. Lorcan Roche (JK Brackens)
    22. Mark O’Meara (Grangemockler-Ballyneale)
    23. Mark Stokes (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)
    24. Martin Kehoe (Mullinahone)
    25. Noel Oblior (Carrick Swan)
    26. Paddy Creedon (Thurles Sarsfields)
    27. Paul Devlin (Éire Óg Annacarty-Donohill)
    28. Rian Quigley (Moyle Rovers)
    29. Rhys Shelly (Moycarkey-Borris)
    30. Sean O’Connor (Clonmel Commercials)
    31. Shane Lowe (Moyne-Templetuohy)
    32. Shane O’Connor (Clonmel Óg)
    33. Stephen Grogan (Cahir)

MANAGEMENT
    Tom McGlinchey, Newport (Bainisteoir)
    Niall Fitzgerald, Moyle Rovers (Coach/Selector)
    Liam England, Inane Rovers (Coach/Selector)
    Vivienne Glynn (Physiotherapist)
    Paddy Lowry, Upperchurch-Drombane (S&C Coach)
    Adrian Condon, Ardfinnan (Logistics)
    Sean McKeown, Moyle Rovers (Statistics)
    Tommy Toomey, Arravale Rovers (Video Analysis)
    Hugh Coughlan, Moyne-Templetuohy (Team Secretary)

50% of panel come from the South.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

you cant have that attitude or you would never finish any competition ever or at least near as scheduled.

Complete and utter nonsense. It is no secret there is a massive storm coming. It was forecast the middle of this week. People are travelling up to see the game. the two teams are going out in absolutely terrible conditions. Dublin v Carlow tonight was shocking and this was pre storm

The league is a nothing competition at the end of the day. Safety of players and those who contribute toward the coffers should be paramount.

Complete and utter nonsense. It is no secret there is a massive storm coming. It was forecast the middle of this week. People are travelling up to see the game. the two teams are going out in absolutely terrible conditions. Dublin v Carlow tonight was shocking and this was pre storm

The league is a nothing competition at the end of the day. Safety of players and those who contribute toward the coffers should be paramount.
    and it was. You still have to see what impact will occur the day of the game. I was at several games in galway yesterday and both had inspections in hours prior to start. You cant just call games off day beforehand unless it's very clear game wouldnt be played so unless you were in galway yesterday how do you know?
    The league isnt a nothing competition and that attitude really should be changing more.

and it was. You still have to see what impact will occur the day of the game. I was at several games in galway yesterday and both had inspections in hours prior to start. You cant just call games off day beforehand unless it's very clear game wouldnt be played so unless you were in galway yesterday how do you know?
    The league isnt a nothing competition and that attitude really should be changing more.

For many Season Ticket holders from South Tipp like myself, Galway is an overnight stay (well i could drive up and back on the day but quite frankly that would be tough going). On Friday it was forecast that Galway (as it tends to always do) will take an almighty battering.

It was no shock storm. it was talked about all week.

Not stepping up??? Were you at the last game? Kehoe had an outstanding game, Darcy was fantastic and so was Caddell. Jake who was excellent against Limerick bagged himself at least two points. What more can they do in winter???

• Advertisement

For many Season Ticket holders from South Tipp like myself, Galway is an overnight stay (well i could drive up and back on the day but quite frankly that would be tough going). On Friday it was forecast that Galway (as it tends to always do) will take an almighty battering.

It was no shock storm. it was talked about all week.
    I spent all of Saturday in galway and outside at that. At a few rugby games and a soccer match. They were right to wait until Sunday morning to call it.
    It's still only 2.5 to 3 hours drive and for a 2pm theow in. Wouldnt have to be overnight at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement