Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

Xenophile wrote: »
    This is the Kildare team to play Tipperary tomorrow at 14.00, taken from the Tipperary GAA website

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CeWC8aJWAAQiXoK.jpg:large

No sign of the Tipperary team being listed, this would not happen to the hurlers, last checked five minutes ago !

Do hurling supporters really expect the football fans to give their support the county board.

Could be that the team isn't named yet? Strange enough though that it hasn't been announced by now. In fairness the Tipp website has given me updates as soon as they are announced in the past although i cant help feeling the bit of a stand off in the media this week may have contributed.

This is just ridiculous, especially the chairman of the county board getting involved, goes without saying the people involved come from clubs that have little or no interest in football.

You do not hear the football people telling players what to do, the fact of the matter is if they did they would be steam rolled by the county board.

To me it smacks of the old GAA ban. Let the people involved come out and tell us what they are going to do about players who play soccer or rugby from time to time with their local village or town.

He didn't pick sides though and didn't threaten any ban so your overreacting a bit there. He is talking in hindsight of last year. What we achieved in both codes is nothing short of miraculous but in terms of long term development, you could do alot more with a lad who is totally 100% invested in one code at county level then a lad juggling 2 codes plus soccer and/or rugby and that goes for both codes

The minor football coach (tbf he is only looking after his own corner) almost suggested Bourke was picking sides. If football was the number 1 sport in Tipp would he be as quick to do so? in that event Cahill would probably be making out to be the injured party as their job is to look after the best interests of their code within the county. Think back to Dublin in 2010. Pat Gilroy insists that Rory o'carroll shouldnt play u21 as the seniors have an important game that weekend. Anthony Daly who is living off scraps says "Total nonsense, Rory is a young fit lad and has been denied the opportunity of winning a leinster medal". Anthony needed Rory, Rory wanted a Senior all ireland, and Pat who had a luxury of options said you cant have both.

And the reason you wouldn't hear our football managers telling players what to play is because lets face it, Football needs all they can get their hands on, while hurling is the number one sport in Tipp. You may not like to hear that but its the reality. I see plenty of young lads walking up and down the street in towns and villages up and down Tipperary carrying hurleys but few if any carry footballs. Its the way it is and probably always will be.

Don't get me wrong, id like to see football flourish and i support them as much as i can, but in a hurling mad county they face unbelievable challenges. I will agree though that if Ryan has absolutely no intention of playing Stephen o'brien or Seamus Kennedy that he do the decent thing and cut them loose.

At the end of the day, your either committed 100% to the cause or not. You cant be half pregnant. Even Katie Taylor had to make a choice of soccer or boxing in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

[font=source-sans-pro, sans-serif]Owen Roddy, McGregor's striking coach, has suggested on Sky that the Edgar fight will happen on a New York Card - there was a suggestion that McGregor might push for it at 155... (apologies if this has been posted already). [/font]

[font=source-sans-pro, sans-serif]Owen Roddy, McGregor's striking coach, has suggested on Sky that the Edgar fight will happen on a New York Card - there was a suggestion that McGregor might push for it at 155... (apologies if this has been posted already). [/font]

hmm.. someone has smuggled in a few good friday drinks and overenjoyed themselves tonight... try the mma thread me lad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Bad news for the hurlers, Conor McGregor has decided to play for the footballers, he said that he just could not tolerate Cahill's and the County Board's attitude to performing at the highest level in two sports. His attitude is................

"If you are good enough you are good enough" ( mine )

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Bad news for the hurlers, Conor McGregor has decided to play for the footballers, he said that he just could not tolerate Cahill's and the County Board's attitude to performing at the highest level in two sports. His attitude is................

"If you are good enough you are good enough" ( mine )

is that not the new york footballers he is declaring for...... he did say though that he can "adapt and overcome any situation" so he might have a change of heart before the cork game in may :pac:

is that not the new york footballers he is declaring for...... he did say though that he can "adapt and overcome any situation" so he might have a change of heart before the cork game in may :pac:

No he will be happy enough to see the Footballers promoted to Division Two of the National League. In fact he will be on the bench in Clonmel today for Tipp's game against Kildare.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tipp getting some hammering already in the football, think division 3 is just about our level.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I'm sure someone on here will try blame the hurlers or Liam Cahill for that hammering today.

I'm sure someone on here will try blame the hurlers or Liam Cahill for that hammering today.

listened to a bit of it today , when i saw tipp against clare last month i taught they were miles behind where they were under peter creedon , even when tipp were in division 4 they looked sharper then what they did that day , on the radio it seemed not much changed today, i dont think kearns is getting anything near the required out of this side , on paper that should have been a far closer game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Well it certainly doesn't help but that was a poor performance today. Disappointing as Kildare won't be up to much this year under O'Neill.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

listened to a bit of it today , when i saw tipp against clare last month i taught they were miles behind where they were under peter creedon , even when tipp were in division 4 they looked sharper then what they did that day , on the radio it seemed not much changed today, i dont think kearns is getting anything near the required out of this side , on paper that should have been a far closer game

Yeh, the game was pretty even in fairness (especially in the first half) around the middle of the pitch but sadly we couldn't get any decent score against a strong wind in the first half and we were chasing from then in the second.

Big advantage for Kildare having a strong wind with them in the first. They really didn't have to go for it in the second half then. Slow, possession play kept it safe for them.

In hindsight Tipp should have been over-patient in build up for scores in the first half and score a few certainties. If we went into the second half <5 points behind we were still in it I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Redser had a few pints along with some of the boys (Micheal Webster who was also dropped) and he decided he'd ring Babs and tell him what he really thought of him. Brendan Cummins did say it was out of order in his book and I suppose there is no going back when you leave a rather strong message to the manager over the phone. Babs couldn't afford to show any weakness.

As a hurler i thought Redser was a brilliant fielder and there is no doubting the talent he possessed. With the proper set-up and coaching i think he could have had a very long fruitful Tipp career.
    Ive met the guy the day of the 2014 final. I said 'Alright Redser' to him on Dorset street before heading to the match and he very politely said 'Not so bad now lad' and gave me a pat on the back. A real nice polite fella.

Now I did also learn that Babs done alot of great work for Tipp. He set up the supporters club and done quite a bit of fundraising. I dont want to be too harsh on him. Also ive learned that he done everything to get players jobs in the 80s to stop them from emigrating. A guy who lived with Paul Delaney over in the US told me that Babs done all in his power to get him a job back home. To be fair to Babs, there was a generation gap between his departure in 94 to his return in 2006 and the Offaly farce in between didn't help matters. Some times managers can be in the right place at the right time and the wrong place at the wrong time. Raneiri with Leicester/Greece springs to mind.

The phone call was the result of beers, but what is interesting is the time that the phone call was made and who was there when it was made.
    Lets just say Machiavelli would have been proud.

The phone call was the result of beers, but what is interesting is the time that the phone call was made and who was there when it was made.
    Lets just say Machiavelli would have been proud.

Tell more. PM if neccessary :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

glued wrote: »
    Well it certainly doesn't help but that was a poor performance today. Disappointing as Kildare won't be up to much this year under O'Neill.

I don't get it? What have the hurlers got to do with that farce today?

I don't get it? What have the hurlers got to do with that farce today?

I agree with you here. I was in Clonmel today and it was a farce. What i seen was a badly coached and disjointed side and a coach that didnt give a flying shíte on the sideline. He didnt shout at them once. Rome was burning and yet no reaction. He done his best Decky Ryan impression.

Having said that i felt Quinlivan looks tired and Ian Fahey the same when he came on perhaps also Evan Comerford. Only Josh Keane and Acheson can hold their head up high after today and perhaps Philly Austin also. Kevin Fahey wasnt bad either i suppose considering his commitmentks for Commercials were the same as many other players such as MQ and Comerford

Kildare had a number 12 who was free at all times which is unacceptable and while they have stylish footballers they were nothing out of the ordinary. At one stage three of our men went to block one of theirs and left a lad free. We can only blame conditions for so much. They were very well coached by O'neill though and anticipated space while we were all over the shop. Im pretty pissed with the performance tbh.

Its a shame that promotion has gone and we are now in a struggle to survive. Safely say the 2020 target is fúcked :D I dont find it acceptable that we are paying this much for a manager who looked like he would prefer to be elsewhere today. Im not too happy with Cracker or the other assistants either for their lack of urgency on the sideline. Show you care or fúck off. Cian o'neill was every bit as dynamic as he has been for Tipp, Mayo, and Kerry in the past.

Granted the Commercials campaign in a way didnt help us today along with injuries and similar to MLR in 2014 the lethargy may have hit many lads today but im absolutely astounded by the resignation amongst the management. The tactics from the first whistle were baffling too. They were trying to walk in in and only managed one score for the first half. Comerford was shocking for their first goal.

Tipperary's footballers chance of promotion is gone. That's a pity.

Now the focus is on staying in Division 3.

At least their destiny is in there own hands........beat Sligo and they will be ok.

Second chance is for Longford to beat Westmeath. Longford are at home and they should win that.

I would say that Tipp would be very unlucky to go down.

if the tipp footballers get relegated it will be a serious blow to those promoting football in the county. As it is finishing below clare and longford and offaly says it all really. As if we needed another reality check.

if the tipp footballers get relegated it will be a serious blow to those promoting football in the county. As it is finishing below clare and longford and offaly says it all really. As if we needed another reality check.

Look on the bright side, Clonmel Commercials took the All Ireland champions to extra time. If the Clonmel players were available from the start of the league and not so worn out when eventually played with the county the story would be a lot different !

Look on the bright side, Clonmel Commercials took the All Ireland champions to extra time. If the Clonmel players were available from the start of the league and not so worn out when eventually played with the county the story would be a lot different !

The fact we failed with promotion is bad enough, but now we potentially face relegation? Its a disaster and a disgrace. If it comes to fruit the management need to walk.

• Advertisement

The fact we failed with promotion is bad enough, but now we potentially face relegation? Its a disaster and a disgrace. If it comes to fruit the management need to walk.

Having some idea about the way the Tipperary County Board does it's business, if the Manager is sacked my guess is that he will walk away with a nice redundancy package !

Totally agree, if we are relegated Kerins should be given the bullet now and get mcKeever in to see out the year.

Following a training camp at Breaffy House in Mayo last week, Ryan has released Conor Kenny, Joe O'Dwyer, Kieran Morris, Joe Gallagher, Bill Maher and Sean Ryan.
    morris and kenny the only 2 to really get a chance.

Following a training camp at Breaffy House in Mayo last week, Ryan has released Conor Kenny, Joe O'Dwyer, Kieran Morris, Joe Gallagher, Bill Maher and Sean Ryan.

Bill Maher is a natural footballer and a good one too. I would like to see him lineout against Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Bill Maher is a natural footballer and a good one too. I would like to see him lineout against Sligo.

Is Conor Kenny playing any football down in Tipp?

He was a good underage footballer with Celbridge.

That cruciate injury last year must have set Mouse back a bit because he looked a decent prospect and we are especially short in that corner back area with Cahill being out at the moment. I suppose the fact Ronan can slot in there if needed along with o'brien, barrett and foxy means we have enough cover.

Clare V Tipperary on TV this Sunday. I presume it's live @ 15.45.

yeah live after one of the football games in division 1 , all football games are on at 2pm wheres all the hurling start at 3.45 ,

yeah live after one of the football games in division 1 , all football games are on at 2pm wheres all the hurling start at 3.45 ,

The football game is.................... Cork V Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shauna17

Xenophile wrote:

What channel it live on ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement