Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The Cork team, and panel in full is as follows;
    1. Anthony Nash Kanturk
    2. Damian Cahalane St Finbarrs
    3. Mark Ellis Millstreet
    4. Conor O'Sullivan Sarsfield
    5. Lorcan McLoughlin Kanturk
    6. Christoper Joyce Na Piarsaigh
    7. Cormac Murphy Mallow
    8. Daniel Kearney Sarsfield
    9. William Egan Kilbrin
    10. Bill Cooper Youghal)
    11. Conor Lehane Midleton
    12. Brian Lawton Castlemartyr
    13. Alan Cadogan (Douglas)
    14. Seamus Harnedy St Itas Capt
    15. Patrick Horgan Glen Rovers

Subs:
    16. Patrick Collins Ballinhassig
    17. Killian Burke Midleton
    18. Michael Russell Aghada
    19. Stephen Murphy Blackrock
    20. Sean O'Donoghue Inniscarra
    21. Aidan Walsh Kanturk
    22. Niall Cashman Blackrock
    23. Paul Haughney Midleton
    24. Luke O'Farrell Midleton
    25. John Cronin Lisgoold
    26. William Leahy Aghada

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭letowski

Tipp Team v Cork: Gleeson Barrett Barry Cahill Kennedy R Maher P Maher B Maher Breen Curran McCormack N McGrath ODwyer Callanan J McGrath

Its an interesting selection for sure. I think Fordes long range striking is always suited to the bench anyway. But leaving out Bonnar yer main ball winner is a big call but it could be noted that its a relatively small Cork half backline, with Walsh and Ellis out. That said, im expecting Cork to play a sweeper and 3 across mf in Kearney Cooper and Lawton so it could get crowded. If Tipp get enough possession and are able to supply the full forward line, they will win. A Bubbles, Callanan, McGrath is probably the strongest full forward in this years championship. But Cork are going to be well prepared for this one and are really going to take the game to Tipp around midfield.

WTF!!!!!!!!!

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Tipp Team v Cork: Gleeson Barrett Barry Cahill Kennedy R Maher P Maher B Maher Breen Curran McCormack N McGrath ODwyer Callanan J McGrath[/font]

Thats a Theo Walcott - 2006 World Cup if selection i've ever seen it. Curran has been going well but this is a whole new level. I can understand Seamus Kennedy being picked to a degree but Curran might be a risk too far. I wish them well either way but Mick is really putting his neck on the line here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I hear the hurlers got spanked by Dublin in a challenge recently - challenge games are challenge games though...

If losing by a point you mean spanked then yes they were "spanked"

Bizarre that they chose to play Dublin given that they have a Cork manager. Surely Cunningham would have been on the phone to Kingston straight after :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Still Bonner, Forde, Bergin to come on. They say finish with a team as strong as that which started and I'd imagine ye will achieve that anyway.

I hear the hurlers got spanked by Dublin in a challenge recently - challenge games are challenge games though...

I heard wrong then!

WTF!!!!!!!!!

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Tipp Team v Cork: Gleeson Barrett Barry Cahill Kennedy R Maher P Maher B Maher Breen Curran McCormack N McGrath ODwyer Callanan J McGrath[/font]

Thats a Theo Walcott - 2006 World Cup if selection i've ever seen it. Curran has been going well but this is a whole new level. I can understand Seamus Kennedy being picked to a degree but Curran might be a risk too far. I wish them well either way but Mick is really putting his neck on the line here.
    The only way I can get my head around it is - is he going for a system rather than the best six playes - the three half line forwards are very different players and complement each other's skill set - as they all possess traits that each don't. However, that said - I don't like it! But, maybe, he has been trying this line in trianing and they're going well together - but, trianing aint championship.
    And, surely, he is not going for a straight 15 - i'd be hoping he will pull out a forward to help out the midfield and half back line. As Cork - it's an open secret at this stage - are going ultra defensive. They'll be looking to erode out frowards confidence through making them hit wides then going fo rthe juglar in the last ten minutes...

maybe, another thought is Ryan wants a strong bench to finish the game strong to stop us from getting caught in the last ten minutes...

If I was the Cork manager I'd stick both Harnedy and Lehane on our youngest and less experienced players - Ronan Maher and Kennedy and look to exploit those areas.

I think between our half forward line and out half back line there are areas to be exploited - we could be in trouble if they get the run on us....

33464.gif

OrizioRegistered User
    Yesterday 09:57#8,045

Echo suggests the team is something like:

Nash

C. O'Sullivan
    M. Ellis
    D. Cahalane (on Callanan)

W. Egan (sweeper)

L. McLoughlin
    C. Joyce
    C. Murphy

D. Kearney
    B. Cooper (roaming midfield/half-forward)
    B. Lawton (roaming midfield/half-forward)

C. Lehane
    P. Horgan

A. Cadogan
    S. Harnedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Good to see Clonmel represented in the person of Seamus Kennedy, St. Mary's.

Kennedy has been a huge loss to the footballers, but at Number 5, if he is as hardworking and tenacious as he has been for the footballers there is every chance he can nail down the number 5 jersey, the same section of the field that he played in with the footballers, a great man to get forward but needs to watch his distribution, and in hurling make sure he does not drive any wides out of over ambition, my own feeling is that he will play the ball into the corners. At this level it remains to be seen if he can find the inside forwards under pressure.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭klose

Xenophile wrote: »
    Good to see Clonmel represented in the person of Seamus Kennedy, St. Mary's.

Kennedy has been a huge loss to the footballers, but at Number 5, if he is as hardworking and tenacious as he has been for the footballers there is every chance he can nail down the number 5 jersey, the same section of the field that he played in with the footballers, a great man to get forward but needs to watch his distribution, and in hurling make sure he does not drive any wides out of over ambition, my own feeling is that he will play the ball into the corners. At this level it remains to be seen if he can find the inside forwards under pressure.

First player from a clonmel team to get a senior championship start in ages it feels

klose wrote: »
    First player from a clonmel team to get a senior championship start in ages it feels

Yes he is, the last was also from St. Mary's............Donnacha Fahy.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

klose wrote: »

Yeah i think Donnacha Fahy back in 2002 was the last v Waterford in the Munster final correct me if im wrong.

Russell from Emly going very well for the inters. The type of lad Mick Ryan should definitely be having a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Ompala

Good first half from Tipp
    Can't remember the last time Tipp were so aggressive in the tackle but 4 yellow cards in the 1st half means they have to be careful to not get sent off
    Poor from Cork so far

• Registered Users Posts: 21,280 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That was nice. Foot well and truly off the pedal in second half but kept the scores ticking along grand. Should be a good test v Limerick

I refuse to get too carried away with this because Cork were insipid. We coasted in 2nd or 3rd gear. Limerick up next who should prove a sterner test

The worst thing about yesterday's game was the standard of Cork's performance - which tells us little about our own performance. Does it say a lot about the future of hurling? As endangered? As a traditional powerhouse of hurling (with a serious population pick) turns its back on the sport in favour of big ball games such as rugby and soccer. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

Cork went out to stop Tipp hurling rather than hurl themselves. This is due to repeated losses and the concession of a lot of goals for this Cork team over the years. It didn't work - they tried to be physical - ultra-physical - but, it's just not who this Cork team is. It might be who their management team is but not their squad of players. As a result, it was square pegs in round holes. Cork players concentrating on being 'hard-nosed' - holding players - stopping them from making runs and, generally, just trying to upset players by pulling and tugging. I think it got to the Cork players more...

Sad to watch the Cork team behave like that - and, it is clear it came from management. It would be a bit like asking Noel McGrath to go out and rough someone up - it's just not in his DNA.

The Half Forward line - It was justified. In that I could see how the players complement each other during the game. Noelie - the creator, stylish, and a point taker. Dan McCormack a tough physical player who made it difficult for the Cork half backline to get rid of the ball. He ran himself ragged, didn't win a lot of clean ball but nobody won clean ball off him either. He mullicked and bullocked in rucks and made a nusicance of himself- disappeared from the game more or less in the second half as the pace died. There are sterner tests ahead of him and the team. But, at the moment, I can see why he selected ahead of Bonner. Better distribution, in particular, his hand passing (although one did go badly astray). Bonnar is more direct and dangerous (but Bonnar dosen't have a high rate of conversion in terms of scores). More to the point, Bonnar's form is erratic at the moment. Sean Curran - makes fantastic runs and was obviously told to pick up ball whether by going to pick it up in midfield or by racing into space from deep (he played in some good ball (and, some not so good) into the inside line). It wasn't spectacular from him - far from it - but, i saw what Ryan wanted from him. And, I'm impressed by the thought behind it. Our shape was good for the most part - however like i said, Cork were desperate. So, we have a creator, a workhorse, and a runner in the half-forward line. It just might work - but, the real tests lie ahead. Bonnar is sans form - it might come back to him. But, he dosen't look sharp - by contrast Brendan Maher was as sharp as a knife - really moving well. Cahill looked rusty (not unexpected - he has been in and out). Maybe, it's just me but Forde looked like he has spent too much time in the gym and it has affected his agility. Whatever it is, his sharpness is not there yet. Yet, it is only the beginning of the championship, plenty of time for him and Bonnar to get moving. But, I can't wait to see this half forward line challenged. Hopefully, Limerick will really bring it to them and then we'll see. I expect Limerick will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

The worst thing about yesterday's game was the standard of Cork's performance - which tells us little about our own performance. Does it say a lot about the future of hurling? As endangered? As a traditional powerhouse of hurling (with a serious population pick) turns its back on the sport in favour of big ball games such as rugby and soccer. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

Cork went out to stop Tipp hurling rather than hurl themselves. This is due to repeated losses and the concession of a lot of goals for this Cork team over the years. It didn't work - they tried to be physical - ultra-physical - but, it's just not who this Cork team is. It might be who their management team is but not their squad of players. As a result, it was square pegs in round holes. Cork players concentrating on being 'hard-nosed' - holding players - stopping them from making runs and, generally, just trying to upset players by pulling and tugging. I think it got to the Cork players more...

Sad to watch the Cork team behave like that - and, it is clear it came from management. It would be a bit like asking Noel McGrath to go out and rough someone up - it's just not in his DNA.

The Half Forward line - It was justified. In that I could see how the players complement each other during the game. Noelie - the creator, stylish, and a point taker. Dan McCormack a tough physical player who made it difficult for the Cork half backline to get rid of the ball. He ran himself ragged, didn't win a lot of clean ball but nobody won clean ball off him either. He mullicked and bullocked in rucks and made a nusicance of himself- disappeared from the game more or less in the second half as the pace died. There are sterner tests ahead of him and the team. But, at the moment, I can see why he selected ahead of Bonner. Better distribution, in particular, his hand passing (although one did go badly astray). Bonnar is more direct and dangerous (but Bonnar dosen't have a high rate of conversion in terms of scores). More to the point, Bonnar's form is erratic at the moment. Sean Curran - makes fantastic runs and was obviously told to pick up ball whether by going to pick it up in midfield or by racing into space from deep (he played in some good ball (and, some not so good) into the inside line). It wasn't spectacular from him - far from it - but, i saw what Ryan wanted from him. And, I'm impressed by the thought behind it. Our shape was good for the most part - however like i said, Cork were desperate. So, we have a creator, a workhorse, and a runner in the half-forward line. It just might work - but, the real tests lie ahead. Bonnar is sans form - it might come back to him. But, he dosen't look sharp - by contrast Brendan Maher was as sharp as a knife - really moving well. Cahill looked rusty (not unexpected - he has been in and out). Maybe, it's just me but Forde looked like he has spent too much time in the gym and it has affected his agility. Whatever it is, his sharpness is not there yet. Yet, it is only the beginning of the championship, plenty of time for him and Bonnar to get moving. But, I can't wait to see this half forward line challenged. Hopefully, Limerick will really bring it to them and then we'll see. I expect Limerick will.

Good point about Forde, I was watching him off the ball a few times and he was absolutely stuck to the ground. He was never a pacey player but he could get around the field pretty well.

• Advertisement

Seamus Kennedy on his debut did enough to be handed the # 5 shirt against Limerick. Especially as the next game is not a knock out.

If you want to bring in new players it is important that you give them one or two chances to prove themselves.

So let's see how he goes against Limerick.

I don't see any reason why he would be dropped - he;ll definitely get another outing against Limerick. He did some good things - the real test will be when he faces Conlon, Tony Kelly, TJ Reid, Walter Walsh, Joe Canning, or Larkin and the likes - he is getting valuable experience. Maybe, they might feel B Heffernan is their man and he will be brought back in...given the amount of changes in the panel after club weekends and in the lead up to the Cork game - it does seem like performance for club and in training is dictating selection.... = so, who knows...

Worked hard - difficult to see him play anywhere but Full forward. I'm open to correction on that - but very strong and competitive under the high ball. His hurling might need work - Reminiscent of Bill Walsh but, like Walsh, his striking and wrists might need work.

Bill Walsh should still be playing at this level - was a tough cookie with a good paw. He went to Waterford I think though...

Worked hard - difficult to see him play anywhere but Full forward. I'm open to correction on that - but very strong and competitive under the high ball. His hurling might need work - Reminiscent of Bill Walsh but, like Walsh, his striking and wrists might need work.

Bill Walsh should still be playing at this level - was a tough cookie with a good paw. He went to Waterford I think though...

Went to Mt Sion but is back with the Swan now afaik. Alot of similarities between Russell and Walsh. Russell showed alot of pace for his 2nd goal but i would agree he is best suited to the edge of the square especially in this game of sweepers. He is under 21 this year afaik.

What did you make of Curran?

What did you make of Curran?

Worked hard but probably needed more game time to this to properly adjust. Its not ideal really. Im wondering is Mick setting a marker down that he will pick who is shining in training and that reputations dont matter? Id assume Dan, Seany and Seamus Kennedy must be eating ball in training.

Yeah, I think given the conditions they played well. But, yes, they must be training well.

I think a dryer ball and Curran might have had a few points to his name - and, that might have done wonders for the confidence - might happen against Limerick if he can hold his form for selection...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I don't see any reason why he would be dropped - he;ll definitely get another outing against Limerick. He did some good things - the real test will be when he faces Conlon, Tony Kelly, TJ Reid, Walter Walsh, Joe Canning, or Larkin and the likes - he is getting valuable experience. Maybe, they might feel B Heffernan is their man and he will be brought back in...given the amount of changes in the panel after club weekends and in the lead up to the Cork game - it does seem like performance for club and in training is dictating selection.... = so, who knows...

B Heffernan wont be involved again this year and unfortunately most likely never again.

What!?!?! You serious?

Major concussion? Where did you hear this?

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    B Heffernan wont be involved again this year and unfortunately most likely never again.

Jeez?!! :eek: This yr I can understand but never again?! Seriously?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement