Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

shauna17 wrote: »
    What channel it live on ?

TnaG

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

1. Darragh Mooney ire g Annacarty
    2. Cathal Barrett Holycross-Ballycahill
    3. James Barry Upperchurch-Drombane
    4. Conor O Brien ire g Annacarty
    5. Barry Heffernan Nenagh ire g
    6. Ronan Maher Thurles Sarsfields
    7. Padraic Maher Thurles Sarsfields
    8. Brendan Maher (Capt.) Borris-Ileigh
    9. Michael Breen Ballina
    10. Noel McGrath Loughmore-Castleiney
    11. Dan McCormack Borris-Ileigh
    12. Niall O Meara Kilruane MacDonaghs
    13. John O Dwyer Killenaule
    14. Seamus Callanan Drom & Inch
    15. John McGrath Loughmore-Castleiney

Subs:
    16. Darren Gleeson Portroe
    17. Kieran Bergin Killenaule
    18. Andrew Coffey Nenagh ire g
    19. Jason Forde Silvermines
    20. Tom s Hamill Moyne-Templetuohy
    21. Seamus Kennedy St. Mary s
    22. Steven O Brien Ballina
    23. Daire Quinn Nenagh ire g
    24. Gear id Ryan Templederry Kenyons
    25. Willie Ryan Clonakenny
    26. Paddy Stapleton Borris-Ileigh

The Clare starting 15 to face Tipperary in the Quarter Final of Division 1 of the Allianz National Hurling League has been named.
    Clare Starting 15 versus Tipperary:
    1) Patrick Kelly (Inagh-Kilnamona)
    2) Ciaran O Doherty (Crusheen)
    3) Cian Dillon, Captain (Crusheen)
    4) Paul Flanagan (Ballyea)
    5) Brendan Bugler (Whitegate)
    6) Conor Cleary (St Josephs Miltown/ Kilmaley)
    7) Pat O Connor (Tubber)
    8) David Reidy ( ire g)
    9) Conor Ryan (Cratloe)
    10) Aaron Cunningham (Wolfe Tones na Sionna)
    11) Bobby Duggan (Clarecastle)
    12) John Conlon (Clonlara)
    13) Colm Galvin (Clonlara)
    14) Darach Honan (Clonlara)
    15) Conor McGrath (Cratloe)

facebook.png?de2675twitter.png?de2675google.png?de2675

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

It seems that Tipperary will be trying a new goalkeeper ! Darragh Mooney, Eire Og/Anacarty.

Also Seamus Kennedy, St. Mary's, Clonmel is listed on the programme, would be nice to see him getting a run !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Team News

In a tough away encounter against Sligo in Markievicz Park, in round 7 of the Allianz Football League on Sunday next, Tipperary manager Liam Kearns has named his side looking to secure their Roinn 3 league status. Forced to make one change, Kevin Fahey moves back to the corner while Shane Leahy is named at right half back.

The Tipperary football line-out is as follows –

1. Evan Comerford – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    2. Kevin Fahey – Clonmel Commercials
    3. Alan Campbell – Moyle Rovers
    4. Ciarán Mc Donald – Aherlow
    5. Jimmy Feehan – Killenaule
    6. Robbie Kiely – Carbery Rangers
    7. Shane Leahy – Arravale Rovers
    8. Alan Moloney – Rockwell Rovers
    9. Martin Dunne – Moyle Rovers
    10. Josh Keane – Golden-Kilfeacle
    11. Peter Acheson (Capt.) – Moyle Rovers
    12. Jason Lonergan – Clonmel Commercials
    13. Conor Sweeney – Ballyporeen
    14. Michael Quinlivan – Clonmel Commercials
    15. Philip Austin – Borrisokane

Subs:

16. Ciarán Kendrick – Moyle Rovers
    17. Billy Hewitt – Ardfinnan
    18. George Hannigan – Shannon Rovers
    19. Liam Casey – Cahir
    20. Donagh Leahy – Arravale Rovers
    21. Brian Fox – Éire Óg Annacarty
    22. Donal Lynch – Clonmel Commercials
    23. John O’Callaghan – Ballyporeen
    24. Mark Hanley – Aherlow
    25. Kevin O’Halloran – Portroe
    26. Stephen Quirke – Moyle Rovers

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Steven O'Brien is on the bench too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dan McCormack centre forward.. Getting plenty of chances

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Anyone know why the keeper was changed? Is it just a case of getting another lad some game time?

Also has Paddy Stapleton been injured or has O'Brien just overtaken him? I'm a big fan of Saint, never lets us down

OAOB wrote: »
    Anyone know why the keeper was changed?

I would say he tried his best, but he let in two soft goals ( at this level) in the last two games. Understudy to Brendan Cummins for so many years, he must be given credit for patience and dedication !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Anyone know why the keeper was changed? Is it just a case of getting another lad some game time?

Also has Paddy Stapleton been injured or has O'Brien just overtaken him? I'm a big fan of Saint, never lets us down

Saint was injured up to now, strange to drop the keeper for a league qf but I think there's a story behind it.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    strange to drop the keeper for a league qf but I think there's a story behind it.

This is an ideal time to test a new keeper ! Anyone know what age he is ?

• Advertisement

Xenophile wrote: »
    This is an ideal time to test a new keeper ! Anyone know what age he is ?

I'd say 23 or 24, played in goal for the 21s against a very good Clare team in Thurles in 2013, not 100% on the year.

Cheers for the info lads.
    Seems strange to try a new keeper in the quarter finals, if Ryan wanted to give him game time why not do it during the league games? Seems like its a demotion for Gleeson

Cheers for the info lads.
    Seems strange to try a new keeper in the quarter finals, if Ryan wanted to give him game time why not do it during the league games? Seems like its a demotion for Gleeson

Your first priority is to maintain Division 1A status. After that anything else is a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

good to see mooney getting a shot at it, hopefully he excels as Gleeson for me is quite average at shot stopping.
    The main reason we did not win the drawn 2014 All ireland was because of Gleeson, I know that is harsh to say that but it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,280 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Stupid wides cost them the game. Marginally a better team but also didn't take the chances, then two poor wides at the end. Deserved for Clare tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Mushy wrote: »
    Stupid wides cost them the game. Marginally a better team but also didn't take the chances, then two poor wides at the end. Deserved for Clare tbh!

Felt there was another gear there for tipp if they wanted it. Hard to know how close we are to the top teams after that win.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,280 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

niallo27 wrote: »
    Felt there was another gear there for tipp if they wanted it. Hard to know how close we are to the top teams after that win.

Easy to say its only a league QF, but if the extra gear is needed, it should be used. Reminds me of Declan Ryan's time, just that wee bit too nice which costs them close games.

Clare were no surprise, they may need to do more against the top teams. But they were determined and fighting for everything, which can provide that bit extra in a close game.

Shaping up to be a good Munster Championship, Cork buoyed on by their first win and surviving, Clare and Limerick be as dogged as ever so no guarantees against them, Waterford had a good league but took the foot off the gas after securing a route through, then Tipp who are vulnerable but tbh should put away most/all teams. From what I've seen, it doesn't look too great for Tipp to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Xenophile wrote: »

Also Seamus Kennedy, St. Mary's, Clonmel is listed on the programme, would be nice to see him getting a run !

Why so?

Though I've a funny felling it's cos he's from Clonmel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

niallo27 wrote: »

I'm baffled at 'another gear'. I only saw last few mins but we were useless when it came to winning high ball esp in our half fwds.

It's a bit like Mike Ross in rugby. He's in 'questionable' shape and does little else bar lock down the scrum. But no scrum you loose..

Nearly every hurling follower can see the ineptitude of our fwds to win their own ball. You'd nearly think we could do with some lumux there who'd stick up the paw and disperse it to the fancy dans and just work like a dog haranguing the opposition half back line.

Clare are no world beaters. It'll be some Munster championship. We're deteriorating while the rest are improving bar Limerick. Waterford will be interesting.....wonder if they can go the extra few steps...

Okay, lost by a point. Couldn't score handy frees - forwards running through the center again to score goals. 17 wides. Formation of the forwards breaking down - and poor distribution and communication at times... - these are all fixable.

I think there are a few positives to take from today. While, Clare are missing some players they were not missing the calibre of player we are missing (apart from Tony Kelly) and a lot of our players are just back from long-term injury - Callanan, Forde, Bergin, O'Meara, Barry. Bubbles has had a stop-start campaign due to various things. Cahill and Bonnar are hurt. There is a distinct lack of sharpness and touch to the team at the moment (apart, from John McGrath - who looks to be a man who knows how to strike when the iron is hot). But, it's that time of year...it's the league so I won't fret over this result. Cork's touch and sharpness has come back to them - but, maybe, they've missed timed the run up to summer. Said it before and I'll say again - the time to be hitting form is the quarter-finals of the championship - not the league- if you have serious all-Ireland ambitions. It's very hard to sustain summer long form. But, there are still question marks there... and they mostly settle around Michael Ryan (as a new coach) and the retirements and what we can expect from a team that has lost over fifty years of experience from the squad - how long should it take for a new team - midfield and forwards in particular to bed in - and how long will it take for Michael Ryan to find his best 20 and clearly define how his team plays - there were crucial moments there in the game when we needed a tighter line between the full and wing backs and a clearer formation to the forwards (Taking off Bubbles when the game was in the melting pot suggests to me Ryan is a fan of shadow boxing - and was totally dismissive of preleague tournaments which suggest he is a championship man only. But, it would be unfair to draw any conclusions on Michael Ryan until the end of year 1 if not 2...

Due to injuries and various things, i don't think anyone could pick our half forward line at this stage - Breen seems to finish there during games... - so, midfield could be Maher and Bergin - or someone else - who knows if Kennedy or Barry Heffernan will see time there yet...

One thing I enjoyed today (despite my hangover), was our emergence from rucks with several balls - not a feature of our game the last few years. We look stronger - that said Clare are very light and that will hurt them in the summer. I'd be more worried if I was Clare man today - their own backyard and they could only produce 13 points (many of which were from frees). It's a very small field - and it suits their seven-man defence system - it's not a croker friendly system - now that Davy continually shows his hand to teams pre-championship. He has been playing the same way since 2013...

Have we shown our hand? No? But, does Michael Ryan know his hand? I'd say so at this stage...

Mooney got a taste - I know some have been critical of Gleeson. Nonsense- one of the best keepers in the country - his puck outs are sublime. An All-star not too long ago - his sharpness will return as his fitness ups - we need him.

Lads, running through the center **** has to stop. Why didn't Maher or Barrett not trip the guy for the second goal - take the card at that stage - red or yellow. As for the Keeper's dive - he should have been running out to make himself big, close the target down, and making sure he flattened the forward if the lads didn't get him --- we need to be far more hardnosed.

I'd be very worried if we weren't creating the chances but we're just not taking them. 17 wides. The eye will be in come summer - lads are getting out in front and creating the chances which is better than nothing. But, Clare are no great shakes. They'll win nothing - they are further down the line than us in lots of ways. On a bigger pitch when the eye is sharper and the touch is cuter - we won't have 17 wides. We definitely have more gears...

But, what is this tipp team capable of in full flight? Not an All-Ireland yet that's for sure. Kilkenny still raging favourites.

What did Clare win today? An absolute roasting from KK, more than likely. It could set them back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

just watched the game back , not much of a classic,
    michael ryan seems happy enough but i cant help but feel both teams could do with one more game in terms of precption for the championship, other then john mcgrath not much put there hands up form a tipp point of view stephen o'brien in my opinion is probably more suited ton the footballers

mikey heffernan ? is he or was he available for the panel this year , i would imagine thomas hamell has had his chance too by now , paric maher had a fine game though, but the pace of the game overall was slow enough , i imagine ye would have been happier with one more work out before the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Okay, lost by a point. Couldn't score handy frees - forwards running through the center again to score goals. 17 wides. Formation of the forwards breaking down - and poor distribution and communication at times... - these are all fixable.

I think there are a few positives to take from today. While, Clare are missing some players they were not missing the calibre of player we are missing (apart from Tony Kelly) and a lot of our players are just back from long-term injury - Callanan, Forde, Bergin, O'Meara, Barry. Bubbles has had a stop-start campaign due to various things. Cahill and Bonnar are hurt. There is a distinct lack of sharpness and touch to the team at the moment (apart, from John McGrath - who looks to be a man who knows how to strike when the iron is hot). But, it's that time of year...it's the league so I won't fret over this result. Cork's touch and sharpness has come back to them - but, maybe, they've missed timed the run up to summer. Said it before and I'll say again - the time to be hitting form is the quarter-finals of the championship - not the league- if you have serious all-Ireland ambitions. It's very hard to sustain summer long form. But, there are still question marks there... and they mostly settle around Michael Ryan (as a new coach) and the retirements and what we can expect from a team that has lost over fifty years of experience from the squad - how long should it take for a new team - midfield and forwards in particular to bed in - and how long will it take for Michael Ryan to find his best 20 and clearly define how his team plays - there were crucial moments there in the game when we needed a tighter line between the full and wing backs and a clearer formation to the forwards (Taking off Bubbles when the game was in the melting pot suggests to me Ryan is a fan of shadow boxing - and was totally dismissive of preleague tournaments which suggest he is a championship man only. But, it would be unfair to draw any conclusions on Michael Ryan until the end of year 1 if not 2...

Due to injuries and various things, i don't think anyone could pick our half forward line at this stage - Breen seems to finish there during games... - so, midfield could be Maher and Bergin - or someone else - who knows if Kennedy or Barry Heffernan will see time there yet...

One thing I enjoyed today (despite my hangover), was our emergence from rucks with several balls - not a feature of our game the last few years. We look stronger - that said Clare are very light and that will hurt them in the summer. I'd be more worried if I was Clare man today - their own backyard and they could only produce 13 points (many of which were from frees). It's a very small field - and it suits their seven-man defence system - it's not a croker friendly system - now that Davy continually shows his hand to teams pre-championship. He has been playing the same way since 2013...

Have we shown our hand? No? But, does Michael Ryan know his hand? I'd say so at this stage...

Mooney got a taste - I know some have been critical of Gleeson. Nonsense- one of the best keepers in the country - his puck outs are sublime. An All-star not too long ago - his sharpness will return as his fitness ups - we need him.

Lads, running through the center **** has to stop. Why didn't Maher or Barrett not trip the guy for the second goal - take the card at that stage - red or yellow. As for the Keeper's dive - he should have been running out to make himself big, close the target down, and making sure he flattened the forward if the lads didn't get him --- we need to be far more hardnosed.

I'd be very worried if we weren't creating the chances but we're just not taking them. 17 wides. The eye will be in come summer - lads are getting out in front and creating the chances which is better than nothing. But, Clare are no great shakes. They'll win nothing - they are further down the line than us in lots of ways. On a bigger pitch when the eye is sharper and the touch is cuter - we won't have 17 wides. We definitely have more gears...

But, what is this tipp team capable of in full flight? Not an All-Ireland yet that's for sure. Kilkenny still raging favourites.

What did Clare win today? An absolute roasting from KK, more than likely. It could set them back...

bit of an over exaggeration to be fair , nither side will come close to wining anything on today's performance , but kilkenny have been little better up to now , its a long wait for michael ryan to prepare for munster

ironically we could have done with the break giving the injuries , but i highly doubt come championship the tipp free taking , midfield or half forward line will be as lax as today

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

good to see mooney getting a shot at it, hopefully he excels as Gleeson for me is quite average at shot stopping.
    The main reason we did not win the drawn 2014 All ireland was because of Gleeson, I know that is harsh to say that but it is true.

I don't agree with you about drawn final, main reason it was lost was too many players going for goal when easy points were on (I recall Bubbles and Woodlock both going for very speculative goals early on) and then not finishing the easier goal chances, such as Gearoid Ryan's chance.

Gleeson is your best keeper, Mooney cost ye the game yesterday.

I can't understand why Paul Maher is behind Mooney and Hogan in the goalkeeping pecking order. I've watched him 6 or 7 Fitzgibbon matches in recent years and he has been excellent. Gleeson hurt his shoulder kayaking on the trip to Mayo and Hogan would have started in goal but for a concussion picked up in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭big_drive

Saw Paul Maher in Fitz semi & final this year in CIT. Looked like a serious keeper, would think he'd be worth a look from what I saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

[Qquote="PlayByTheRules;99277950"]I don't agree with you about drawn final, main reason it was lost was too many players going for goal when easy points were on (I recall Bubbles and Woodlock both going for very speculative goals early on) and then not finishing the easier goal chances, such as Gearoid Ryan's chance.

Gleeson is your best keeper, Mooney cost ye the game yesterday.[/quote]

powers second goal was childlike stuff.
    Reid goal should have never went in.
    That's life. Gleeson was really good in the replay final 2014.
    I find his shot stopping inconsistent. He will make a lovely save and follow that up by letting an easier shot in.

This is how I see the possible team shaping up for Cork - avoiding injuries that is.

Gleeson

Barrett Barry Cahill(if fit)/Saint

Heffernan Ronan Maher Pauric Maher

Brendan Maher Bergin

Bubbles Bonnar Breen

Jason Forde Callanan John McGrath

Or

Gleeson

Barrett Barry Cahill

Bergin R Maher P Maher

B Maher Breen

Bubbles Bonnar O'Meara/Noel McGrath(even though O'Meara was stink before he got the hand injury against Clare - struggling for form - Noel is not the leader he was. - goes missing for long periods of time)

Forde Callanan J McGrath

- I personally would like to see how a team without Noelie from the start would get on - then bring him on with 2o/15 to go when the other team are getting leggy

I'd go

Gleeson

Brendan Maher Breen

Bubbles Bonnar Noel McGrath

Forde Callanan J McGrath

Bergin unlucky to be left out and a lot of lads needing to step up to keep their place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I'd go

Gleeson

Brendan Maher Breen

Bubbles Bonnar Noel McGrath

Forde Callanan J McGrath

Bergin unlucky to be left out and a lot of lads needing to step up to keep their place

I think Niall O'Meara has done enough to get in especially if Bonnar does not recover some form.
    Worrying that 4 of our main 7 forwards are out of form currently, although Callinan's can be put down to injury and you'd expect him to come right.

• Advertisement

It's no secret how important O'Shea was to players like Corbett and Callanan's confidence - I'd hope they're still in touch.

Callanan's career nosedived under Declan Ryan - I hope this does not happen this time around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement