Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

robbiezero wrote: »
    I think Niall O'Meara has done enough to get in especially if Bonnar does not recover some form.
    Worrying that 4 of our main 7 forwards are out of form currently, although Callinan's can be put down to injury and you'd expect him to come right.

I don't think O'Meara scores or wins ball consistently enough to make the team but i'm always impressed by his work rate.
    I think our lads are either rusty from lack of hurling (Callinan & Bonner) or tired from a lot of hurling (Forde & Bubbles playing Sigerson). We have time to get them all right for Cork.
    You can see I'm being optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Not too many here writing about football.

For the record, National League 2016.

Footballers scored 12 goals in 7 games, and only lost 2 games.

Hurlers scored 5 goals in 6 games and lost 3 of their games.

Moral of the story, many people maintain that the footballers try harder than the hurlers.

Also to be noted, if footballers had the Commercial players for the league they probably would be promoted as they are a better team than Clare.

Having said all that I wish our hurlers the best of luck in the Championship. With the way Kerry are playing at present I would say that the footballers have no great expectations.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Callanan's career nosedived under Declan Ryan - I hope this does not happen this time around.

is there any truth to the rumour of a certain player punching a certain ex managers brother causing some considerable damage????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Who nose? :angel:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Xenophile wrote: »

Moral of the story, many people maintain that the footballers try harder than the hurlers.

Also to be noted, if footballers had the Commercial players for the league they probably would be promoted as they are a better team than Clare.

Having said all that I wish our hurlers the best of luck in the Championship. With the way Kerry are playing at present I would say that the footballers have no great expectations.

Who maintains the footballers try harder? Nonsense of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Xenophile wrote: »

Who "maintains the footballers try harder than the hurlers"? What nonsense are you on about?
    But the footballers didn't have them available. And we knew that from November when they won the Munster final...
    Not too many are discussing the football as its clearly second choice to most people
    And we wont be playing Kerry in the football unless we reach the final. We play Waterford and then Cork if we win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Who maintains the footballers try harder? Nonsense of the highest order.

The man in the mirror:rolleyes:

Haven't been on here in a while since before the Clare game. On the day i was absolutely fuming at having lost another tight game but at the same time i cant help feeling that we have an extra bit in the tank come summer time.

The one concern I do have is that we look to be lacking shooting practice. Our forwards seem a bit disjointed. It reminds me a little of Declan Ryan's last year in 2012 so far. Our goal threat was zilch that year and it seems to be the same this year. Id imagine Seamie should improve as the weeks progress though.

Cahill back for THurles the past weekend - Ronan Maher picked up a thigh injury though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Cahill back for THurles the past weekend - Ronan Maher picked up a thigh injury though

I was at the match, he played about 40 minutes at centre-back and was then moved in full. They had the match won at ht so maybe could have taken him off to prevent more damage. I'd imagine they'll rest him this weekend as they'll beat Roscrea easily with or without him.

• Advertisement

Was at the minor game today. Unlucky because i genuinely thought the lads put in an enormous shift. Didnt get enough ball into the forwards to be honest. Their half forwards proved tricky and they won alot of primary possession. overall though, im not too downbeat. If we win against Clare we can put a run together

I don't know if doing this through the media is the best approach:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/liam-cahill-its-time-tipperary-got-tough-397961.html

As for Cahill, whatever about him as a manager with Tipp Minors, I don't think he can talk from on high about toughness. Shone bright early for Tipp senior and dropped like a rocket soon after...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/liam-cahill-its-time-tipperary-got-tough-397961.html

As for Cahill, whatever about him as a manager with Tipp Minors, I don't think he can talk from on high about toughness. Shone bright early for Tipp senior and dropped like a rocket soon after...

I was very indifferent about Cahill to be honest but am starting to come around to him, there is a hell of a lot of truth in what he is saying there to be fair to him.

I think you're being a bit harsh there evolving, yes he flattered to deceive at times but he has a far more impressive playing career that a certain Mr Sheedy, basically my point being that a managers record as a player is irrelevant to their ability to manage.

He was no shrinking violet on the filed and he did win an All Star, an AI, a Munster medal, a league title and a senior county medal - if he moulds our current minor to a similar haul I think we'll all be happy.

danganabu wrote: »

I was very indifferent about Cahill to be honest but am starting to come around to him, there is a hell of a lot of truth in what he is saying there to be fair to him.

I think you're being a bit harsh there evolving, yes he flattered to deceive at times but he has a far more impressive playing career that a certain Mr Sheedy, basically my point being that a managers record as a player is irrelevant to their ability to manage.

He was no shrinking violet on the filed and he did win an All Star, an AI, a Munster medal, a league title and a senior county medal - if he moulds our current minor to a similar haul I think we'll all be happy.
    I'm not saying his hurling career informs his managerial career - but, simply pointing out that his calls for Tipp to be tough is a bit rich considering he wasn't tough. He got an all-star when he was 19 - when Michael cleary, Declan ryan and co hand passed him into an all-star
    Was a sub for that all-ireland he got. Was dropped and brought back in by Babs for a spell. The opinions are fair but don't be winging your opinion in public - or does he want to be the new Babs!
    confront those making life difficult in person and rule with an iron fist if you must. But, for me, not to be done in public though - kind of calling out players in public too... - doesn't go lead to good things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I'm not saying his hurling career informs his managerial career - but, simply pointing out that his calls for Tipp to be tough is a bit rich considering he wasn't tough. He got an all-star when he was 19 - when Michael cleary, Declan ryan and co hand passed him into an all-star
    Was a sub for that all-ireland he got. Was dropped and brought back in by Babs for a spell. The opinions are fair but don't be winging your opinion in public - or does he want to be the new Babs!
    confront those making life difficult in person and rule with an iron fist if you must. But, for me, not to be done in public though - kind of calling out players in public too... - doesn't go lead to good things...

He was top scorer from play in the country that year as a 19 year old, jaysus they must have been some hand passes to be fair :D

I'm indifferent on the whole whether he should have said anything or not but I don't have a major problem with it seeing that he didn't specifically name names, so its more the practice that the people he is highlighting and to be honest that's perfectly fair to me. I have been involved in coaching and you would be really shocked to see the carry on of certain parents when it comes to their little johnny, it can be quite sickening and intimidating to be honest.

I think your being unfair on Cahill here. Firstly, he has to show leadership in a management role and i think he has been exceptional in this regard. One would only have to see the workrate his players put in to show the influence he has had on Tipp hurling. I think he is doing quite a good job to be honest. We got to a final last year and while we lost badly on the day i was very impressed with the way we closed out tight games up to that point. We were badly beaten in the final but we had a lot of dual players and there is no doubting that it impacted the preparation as we were preparing for not one but two finals within 3 weeks.

I found absolutely nothing wrong with the way he spoke to the media to be honest. Tagging him as Babs is also unfair. Can someone not make a valid opinion now without being put into this category just because it potentially upsets the majority?

The guy has shown some balls and leadership and it has been lacking in any from Tipperary management with a while. He has not been afraid to make calls that may not be in everyone's interest.

Liam speaks from the heart and is well regarded by the youngsters given the huge effort they put in for him. He is preparing these lads for war down the line. We are now in the era of scrummaging and systems whether we like it or not. Cahill, like myself, is a border man and it will really hurt him to have witnessed Kilkenny ruling with an iron fist for the majority of these past 16 or so seasons. Aside from Sheedy's spell when Cian O'neill was involved, we've never matched Kilkenny physically and by that i included the 2014 replay when we were bullied out of the match

To persist with these tippy-tappy hurlers is all very noble but they need to realise that you have to bring some physicality to the setup. I've seen many of our underage teams such as Minors in 2002 and the u21s in 2004 for example and they had alot of nice hurlers but were blown out of the water in the physical stakes. As a result, the respective managements and players were dismissed and ridiculed by the Tipp public. Liam is trying to stem a tide where as a hurling county we have often marched relentlessly toward the abyss like lemmings hoping that it all works out on the day.

Our minors have produced some lovely stylish hurlers such as Lyndon Fairbrother, Tommy Nolan and Cian Darcy the last two or three years and these have the necessary workrate and physicality going forward which is something.

Interestingly its also refreshing to see that while we often talk of the tight games the seniors have lost, by polar comparison the minors can be credited for closing out many tight games. Fantastic discipline, workrate and maturity shown.

Well, he was playing with likes of Cleary, English, Fox, Declan Ryan, Leahy, T Dunne... - he was laid on plenty of scores...Tipp didn't make out of Munster that year... - he got that all-star in his first year and never backed it up. That's a fact.

I just believe that the best managers play the media game - and keep everything in house. Deal with the issue in private - always ALWAYS support players in Public - roast them behind the scenes if you like.

Tipp Gunner, I'm not saying anything about his job and the standard of his job. I'm saying that he shouldn't be washing the dirty linen in public. Last year he was quite vocal too - getting to like the mic a bit too much.

What tippy-tappy hurlers?

Liam is stemming no tide on his own - he is an intercounty minor manager - I'd doubt he is with those lads much. The real work is done with clubs at that grade - senior is a bigger commitment where players can be shaped over time.

I didn't tag him as the new Babs - merely likened his recent interview outburst as Babs like.

Word on the grapevine is Kennedy starts wing back (Heffernan has back to back concussions and is still going through protocols). This means Bergin will be on the bench...

Word is half forward line will be Forde, Bonnar, Bubbles - I always feel that the closer Forde is to goal the better - don't know how anybody else feels... - I know the tipp forwards switch around a lot - but, i feel forde should be in the corner. I think John McGrath has the paw and better, distribution, and accuracy to be a fine half forward...(plus, he has played a lot at midfield and will know that sector of the field better).

Also, word is Cork will adopt a 7 man defence and will be looking to rough Tipp up - THE ROCK style. This tipp team have been slow starters (and I think it's a long summer if you want to get to August/September) so the Cork have a definite chance to upset the applecart - (they'd be worth ten yoyos for sure.)

I want to see how good the forward play is - and the interplay. Don't want to Dan McCormack start - had a decent enough league - came on a bit - but he needs a few more league campaigns and some sub championship experience before he can make the grade (if he does).

It'll be interesting to see what kind of plan is in place for both [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Harnedy[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] and Lehane - this huge for Michael Ryan's reign. How will the tactics develop...[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Word on the grapevine is Kennedy starts wing back (Heffernan has back to back concussions and is still going through protocols). This means Bergin will be on the bench...

Word is half forward line will be Forde, Bonnar, Bubbles - I always feel that the closer Forde is to goal the better - don't know how anybody else feels... - I know the tipp forwards switch around a lot - but, i feel forde should be in the corner. I think John McGrath has the paw and better, distribution, and accuracy to be a fine half forward...(plus, he has played a lot at midfield and will know that sector of the field better).

Also, word is Cork will adopt a 7 man defence and will be looking to rough Tipp up - THE ROCK style. This tipp team have been slow starters (and I think it's a long summer if you want to get to August/September) so the Cork have a definite chance to upset the applecart - (they'd be worth ten yoyos for sure.)

I want to see how good the forward play is - and the interplay. Don't want to Dan McCormack start - had a decent enough league - came on a bit - but he needs a few more league campaigns and some sub championship experience before he can make the grade (if he does).

Is that what they call national newspapers these days, "the grapevine"?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

my team for sunday would be

Glesson

Barrett,Barry,Cahill

Berigin,R Maher,P Maher

Maher Breen

G Ryan,Bonner,Bubbles

J Mcgrath,Callanan,Forde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Tipp footballers played Dublin in Nenagh yesterday evening, they lost by 3-25 to 0-13.

primary 2 wrote: »
    my team for sunday would be

Glesson

Barrett,Barry,Cahill

Berigin,R Maher,P Maher

Maher Breen

G Ryan,Bonner,Bubbles

J Mcgrath,Callanan,Forde
    Interesting, why G Rya? Higher workrate than Noelie? Why not O'Meara? I see John O'Keeffe, Sean Curran, and Donagh Maher is back on the panel...

I hear the hurlers got spanked by Dublin in a challenge recently - challenge games are challenge games though...

Interesting, why G Rya? Higher workrate than Noelie? Why not O'Meara? I see John O'Keeffe, Sean Curran, and Donagh Maher is back on the panel...

I always feel gearoid ryan never fully gets the credit he deserves,he offers a huge work rate and is well capable of picking off scores and i think this tipp team needs a bit more of this,what would your opinion be of this? what would your team be?

I think 2010 Geroid Ryan walks onto this team - either at half forward or midfield. But, he has terrible injuries since 2010 and he hasn't produced the same form since. Very intelligent hurler who does lots of work - but he can't catch a break fitness wise. Hopefully, he can return to his best - but maybe the body has taken too much of a battering...

Noelie goes missing for large amounts of time in games - I thought O'Meara would have pushed Noelie out of the team by now but he hasn't kicked on at senior level yet into a top class forward - hopefully this year is the year. Or, hopefully Noelie can get back to his best...

I think 2010 Geroid Ryan walks onto this team - either at half forward or midfield. But, he has terrible injuries since 2010 and he hasn't produced the same form since. Very intelligent hurler who does lots of work - but he can't catch a break fitness wise. Hopefully, he can return to his best - but maybe the body has taken too much of a battering...

Noelie goes missing for large amounts of time in games - I thought O'Meara would have pushed Noelie out of the team by now but he hasn't kicked on at senior level yet into a top class forward - hopefully this year is the year. Or, hopefully Noelie can get back to his best...

I would agree with you about noel, geroid ryan i though had a very good year in 2014 and has he had any injury complaints lately?

I'm not sure about lately - but, I think he has his problems last year.

WTF!!!!!!!!!

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Tipp Team v Cork: Gleeson Barrett Barry Cahill Kennedy R Maher P Maher B Maher Breen Curran McCormack N McGrath ODwyer Callanan J McGrath[/font]

• Advertisement

That half forward line...

I know Curran's club form has been very good...but...didn't see that coming...

Dan hasn't done enough to warrant his selection...in my opinion.

I wish the lads the best.

Cork to win on Sunday and Tipp to win the All-Ireland - wonder what odds you'd get on that...

This half-forward selection will put serious pressure on Ryan - genius if it works - he'll be annihilated if it dosen't...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement