Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 194: McGregor vs Aldo ***READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

McGregor via Decision
    Conor in the WSJ:
    “One round. I’ll KO him. Inside of four minutes,” McGregor said quietly. “I feel he’ll overextend. I feel he’s emotional. Every feint I do, he will overreact. My movement will freeze him. He’ll extend on a straight right hand, I’ll slip the straight right hand and bang the left hook over the top and put him down. It’s my baby. And it’s a shot I’ve visualized landing on him many times.”

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Hi
    I was at ufc 194 but my ticket was a printout ticket.
    I want a souvenir proper ticket so that I can frame along with the poster I bought.
    Willing to pay for it (within reason) obviously.

Anyone able to help out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

DeVore wrote: »

(admittedly, I wasn't impressed with McGregor giving them the fingers on top of the octagon but emotions were high and he paid respect to Aldo in the presser).

i think at this stage it's pretty widely accepted that Conor is a classless individual in all respects surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

(admittedly, I wasn't impressed with McGregor giving them the fingers on top of the octagon but emotions were high and he paid respect to Aldo in the presser).

Doesn’t look like Conor is giving the fingers towards anyone in Aldo’s corner, looks to be directed towards the crowd (TJ was seated around where he appears to be turned).

Even if he did give the fingers to Aldo’s corner it was well deserved, the guy from Aldo’s team was up on the side of the cage screaming that he wanted to fight Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i think at this stage it's pretty widely accepted that Conor is a classless individual in all respects surely.

don't confuse the persona and the man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

McGregor via Decision

He mouthed off for a year to build up the fight and get as many ppv buys as possible. He showed respect before the fight, at the weigh ins and after the fight.

He's far from classless. He's very very smart, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

No doubt you still tuned in to see this ''classless'' guy fight $$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

You get respect when you give respect.

From the after-fight interview they have been saying "it wasn't a fight" "its a fluke" "lucky shot" etc... not a word about how Conor and John have trained in a cold converted garage for years (I was in the place... fnckin' freezing lol).
    If they came out and said "fair dues, good fight, Conor is the new champion but we'll be back" I would bet they would get a lot more respect than they have...

It was directed to TJ and his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Surely sarcasm? You can't possibly be serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

McGregor via Decision
    What is McGregor 's beef with Tj?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What is McGregor 's beef with Tj?

Then as soon as McGregor starts walking off to do the photoshoot TJ starts shouting at him from across the room yet, face to face, he had nothing to say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The media trying to create something of the belt slamming incident.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/video-ufc-owner-was-captured-slamming-belt-as-conor-mcgregor-koed-jose-aldo-sparking-conspiracy-theories-34293017.html
    So it was slightly bizarre to see Fertitta slamming the UFC featherweight championship down to the ground upon witnessing Jose Aldo being knocked out in just 13 seconds by The Notorious, with his reaction triggering various conspiracy theories.

Fertitta hasn’t given anything away over his reaction given he rarely talks to the press, with his brother and UFC co-owner Lorenzo and UFC president Dana White doing the bulk of the media commitments.

I'll be honest, I am intrigued :D

BOHtox wrote: »

That Cody and Conor incident was made up,I know this because somebody on set told me,'reality' it was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Aldo via Submission
    Gamebred wrote: »
    That Cody and Conor incident was made up,I know this because somebody on set told me,'reality' it was not.

Do you ever stop talking complete shìt?

Saipanne wrote: »
    Do you ever stop talking complete shìt?

If you think that scene was real you must be expecting santa clause next week.

No doubt you still tuned in to see this ''classless'' guy fight $$$$$$

that really has nothing to do with it. We all tuned in, because we are fight fans, and this was one hell of a big fight between two awesome fighters.

We all love a panto villain, and he certainly plays the part very well.

Half the people watching were hoping to see one fighter win, the other half tuned in to see the other fighter win. really nothing new there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Aldo via Submission
    If you think that scene was real you must be expecting santa clause next week.

Is that some sort of contract for a Spanish saint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I think Aldo's camp have only thrown more fuel on the fire in all this to be honest. They want to see more respect for their champ, but have not shown a shred of it themselves. For me the loss does not detract from his legacy, if anything the sore loser attitude would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

There seems to be a recent expectation in the UFC that if the current champion loses he/she is entitled to first refusal on the next fight with the new champion. Needs to be stopped in IMO, if this was an epic 3-5 rounder fight then maybe but the short fight coupled with the attitude of the entire team... no thank you, I'll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Aldo via Submission
    This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

that really has nothing to do with it. We all tuned in, because we are fight fans, and this was one hell of a big fight between two awesome fighters.

Half the people watching were hoping to see one fighter win, the other half tuned in to see the other fighter win. really nothing new there.

That's why we tuned into it i.e. the likes of us who have been following the sport for years. Can guarantee you not everyone who tuned in was a fight fan (or certainly not a long term fight fan). Fact is McGregor's persona (including the sh*t talking and the fact that he backs it up) brings in viewers that wouldn't normally order a PPV - the difference between the numbers for his last 2 fights (this & the Mendes fight) vs. the vast majority of other PPVs in UFC history clearly shows that.

I personally see McGregor's antics as being very entertaining and a very intelligent and deliberate use of his natural charisma to help sell the PPV - he is phenomenal at it. I also agree that once all the tickets were sold (fight week and after the fight), McGregor showed proper respect to Jose. A class act IMO.

Ridiculous,you think hes classless yet add money to his pocket by tuning into see him fight,its like saying mcdonalds is a dump but still going in an paying for food to eat,vote with your feet if hes classless dont watch him,I think premier league footballers are all over paid morons,so I dont watch them thus not enhancing their wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,086 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Aldo via Decision
    You get respect when you give respect.

From the after-fight interview they have been saying "it wasn't a fight" "its a fluke" "lucky shot" etc... not a word about how Conor and John have trained in a cold converted garage for years (I was in the place... fnckin' freezing lol).
    If they came out and said "fair dues, good fight, Conor is the new champion but we'll be back" I would bet they would get a lot more respect than they have...

Aldo has paid respect to McGregor.

People just seem to want to keep having a pop, you can hold him responsible for the stuff his coach says too I suppose since it provides more ammunition.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Aldo via Decision
    ''If it was the opposite, with McGregor being punched in the chin and Aldo in the eyebrow, we would be calling Aldo a superchampion today''
    He is very clearly talking here about the media reaction to it. Not a personal reflection. It actually couldn't be any clearer in the article.
    ''there was no technical failure, just an unusual blow.''
    I disagree with him a little here, Aldo did very little wrong but imo he did not sell the fake well enough and he certainly missed a beat timing wise. He had a good angle, good position etc but his timing let him down as did the fake right, though thats a little harsh I guess

Some gold from dede,so because Conor landed it was lucky and hes not a ''superchampion'' but if Aldo had of he'd of been called one lol

The no technical failure is up there with some of the stuff edmond comes out with reguarding ronda.

So as you can see now, you have either misinterpreted what was said, or misrepresented, or maybe in terms of the technical comment you simply don't understand what he meant from purely a striking scenario?

McGregor is damn good, he simply outclassed him in that instance. He beat him to the punch even though he was at a slight disadvantage positionally and that deserves a lot of credit.

Its the timing, the biggest thing Aldo did wrong was rush on the wrong beat. That takes nothing at all away from McGregor who had the skill to make him pay dearly

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Aldo via Decision
    Ridiculous,you think hes classless yet add money to his pocket by tuning into see him fight,its like saying mcdonalds is a dump but still going in an paying for food to eat,vote with your feet if hes classless dont watch him,I think premier league footballers are all over paid morons,so I dont watch them thus not enhancing their wealth.

So you don't think people tuned in to watch Floyd Mayweather get knocked out then?

McGregor plays his part perfectly, by and large, either you love him and tune in to see him win or you can't stand him and tune in with the hope of seeing him lose.

Its a time honoured formula, it doesn't matter what they think of you, as long as they think of you!

Its wonderful that you think a bunch of professional athletes you don't know are morons, but you would be in the minority when it comes to combat sport for sure.

He is very clearly talking here about the media reaction to it. Not a personal reflection. It actually couldn't be any clearer in the article.

I disagree with him a little here, Aldo did very little wrong but imo he did not sell the fake well enough and he certainly missed a beat timing wise. He had a good angle, good position etc but his timing let him down as did the fake right, though thats a little harsh I guess

So as you can see now, you have either misinterpreted what was said, or misrepresented, or maybe in terms of the technical comment you simply don't understand what he meant from purely a striking scenario?

McGregor is damn good, he simply outclassed him in that instance. He beat him to the punch even though he was at a slight disadvantage positionally and that deserves a lot of credit.

Its the timing, the biggest thing Aldo did wrong was rush on the wrong beat. That takes nothing at all away from McGregor who had the skill to make him pay dearly

Very Clearly meant the meadia GTFO :rolleyes:

Aldo made a mistake he can usually get away with against lesser opposition but coming out throwing heat trying to k.o Conor in the centre of the octagon is absolutely crazy and very technically wrong,this is novice stuff walking onto shots like that inside 13 seconds of the biggest fight of your career,and from an all time legend at combat which shocks me and his team no doubt,If Conor was ko'd stiff no doubt in my mind John Kavangh would have said the better fighter won and hes a superb champion,unlike dede did.

So you don't think people tuned in to watch Floyd Mayweather get knocked out then?

McGregor plays his part perfectly, by and large, either you love him and tune in to see him win or you can't stand him and tune in with the hope of seeing him lose.

Its a time honoured formula, it doesn't matter what they think of you, as long as they think of you!

Its wonderful that you think a bunch of professional athletes you don't know are morons, but you would be in the minority when it comes to combat sport for sure.

Of Course I understand millions tuned into many of his fights to see him finally beaten,thats why hes rich from playing people like the poster above who buy into a media persona,if you cant tell the promotional side from the personal side of Conor then its time to pack it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

If this was the result of 189 then the masses would be clamoring for a rematch but after 15 months there’s total oversaturation. By not showing (and his history of dropping out) Aldo only has himself to blame.

I'm a huge fan of MMA, so because of a few fighters, some who i would consider classless, others scumbags, and there sure are a good few of those around just like in most sports, i should give up on the sport entirely, or just turn it off (or turn my head away) when one appears?

Should i do the same for other sports obviously, and music, and films, books?

that's an incredibly moralistic and completely untenable stance to take in this day and age. Best of luck keeping the moral high ground at all times.

• Advertisement

I'm a huge fan of MMA, so because of a few fighters, some who i would consider classless, others scumbags, and there sure are a good few of those around just like in most sports, i should give up on the sport entirely, or just turn it off (or turn my head away) when one appears?

Should i do the same for other sports obviously, and music, and films, books?

that's an incredibly moralistic and completely untenable stance to take in this day and age. Best of luck keeping the moral high ground at all times.

What you should do is try decipher the difference between a media personality ie fight promotion to a non promotional normal persona that Conor has.

Advertisement