Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in California

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's not LA.

It’s greater LA – 110km of urban sprawl all the way to the ocean!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Well not really.

LA and San Bernadino counties are neighbours. Remember there's the City of LA and then there's LA County.
    Reporter now saying 60 miles east of LA.who am I to question.
    One police officer injured, not life threatening, one suspect possibly outstanding , police don't know much - quick press briefing right now
    Sheriff McMahon will hold (proper) press briefing in 40 mins.

Reddit saying that suspect has been detained.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Amazingfun wrote: »
    :confused: what? What news channel has said anything of the sort?

None - but it doesnt fit the larger picture - Americans killing Americans only brings up the 2nd Amendmentd debate, while foreigners of a certain religion would be a much better story and help the rights current line of thinking.

• Advertisement

News feed mentioning that the cops are now focusing on specific house in frame of the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

None - but it doesnt fit the larger picture - Americans killing Americans only brings up the 2nd Amendmentd debate, while foreigners of a certain religion would be a much better story and help the rights current line of thinking.

Ah, none! Thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Amazingfun wrote: »
    How disappointing for some on this thread ;)

CNN might lighten him up a bit in photos like they did to George Zimmerman.

Disgusting news channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

PressRun wrote: »
    Don't think they have, no. It seems like Europe is the focus of IS fury at the moment, rather than the US.

That's the crazy thing, it's not though. In terms of threats in their various videos and online propaganda, the US is right at the top of its hit list. They're all talks about the White House, NYC etc.

I reckon the logistics would be a bit trickier for the same sophisticated attack as Paris in the states, what with mentally tight travel restrictions between the US and the Middle East and then the big bad National Counterterrorism Center, which is probably keeping any and every potential terrorist that managed to get in well on their radar.

That said I'm sure it's just a matter of time

Confirmed that police that was shot didn't suffer life threatening injuries.

Reddit stating suspect has been detained, but nothing from live news feed from KTLA and not that I heard over the police scanner.

Newsfeed mentioned that you needed to have a security keycard to gain access to the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

beks101 wrote: »
    That's the crazy thing, it's not though. In terms of threats in their various videos and online propaganda, the US is right at the top of its hit list. They're all talks about the White House, NYC etc.

I reckon the logistics would be a bit trickier for the same sophisticated attack as Paris in the states, what with mentally tight travel restrictions between the US and the Middle East and then the big bad National Counterterrorism Center, which is probably keeping any and every potential terrorist that managed to get in well on their radar.

That said I'm sure it's just a matter of time

I think it's more likely that another attack will happen in Europe before anything happens in the US. Europe is a much easier target for both terrorist attacks and the radicalization of young European Muslims.

If something like this happened in Europe, I would think IS. But because it's America, it just seems much more likely to be a homegrown nutjob(s) with no immediately obvious motive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Hispanic gangbangers, ISIS nutjobs, lone wolf, organised crime who knows? America is so f u c ked up it's unreal. Guns are everywhere and this sort of stuff will go on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Link makes for very interesting viewing, great find that.

Footage showing suspect being removed from backseat of car. Slightly graphic content - suspect either dead or heavily injured. Body can be seen falling out of car at 1:46 into video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Anyone got a link to redditl live thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Anyone got a link to redditl live thread?

https://www.reddit.com/live/w0nn1o5hu90y?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

PressRun wrote: »
    If something like this happened in Europe, I would think IS. But because it's America, it just seems much more likely to be a homegrown nutjob(s) with no immediately obvious motive.

Yeah same here ordinarily. Paris I think has just created a sort of ISIS-brain in official and media circles I think. I'm even dreaming about the b@stards. :rolleyes:

Mad though isn't it, how the yanks will invest millions and trillions and gazillions of dollars to protect against the threat of attack by foreign terrorists, and yet these domestic shootings happen daily and they'll do nothing? Obama looks bloody bored at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

There's so many guys wandering around with guns and various paramilitary dress, you'd wonder how they'd spot someone wandering around with a gun and paramilitary gear.

I'd suspect this is local criminal rather than terrorist. Police look relatively relaxed.

Waiting for someone to say "ok then"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Link makes for very interesting viewing, great find that.

Fox 10's Copter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mq5hrUDoYo

• Advertisement

Guy on KTLA saying that his house was hit by a stray bullet. His family are all locked inside, but he cannot get to his family. Poor guy.

"I don't know where they're from, but I know where they'll end up, hopefully".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Watching that feed on YouTube now, interesting alright.

beks101 wrote: »
    Yeah same here ordinarily. Paris I think has just created a sort of ISIS-brain in official and media circles I think. I'm even dreaming about the b@stards. :rolleyes:

Mad though isn't it, how the yanks will invest millions and trillions and gazillions of dollars to protect against the threat of attack by foreign terrorists, and yet these domestic shootings happen daily and they'll do nothing? Obama looks bloody bored at this point.

I don't blame him for being bored, tbh. I'd say he's sick making the same speech over and over again, and it's all gone beyond the point of even being shocking anymore. A man shot dead a bunch of schoolchildren in their classrooms a couple of years ago and nothing changed in the aftermath of that, just a whole lot of empty hand-wringing. If that wasn't a kick up the arse for anyone, nothing will be.

Recap of events so far by ABC 7 -

http://imgur.com/CA2SyHk

Police scanner mentioning news helicopters zooming in on cops in various situations (http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/13038/web). Expect news feeds to be diverted soon, if the authorities order them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

On CNN, one guy says it resembles middle eastern terrorism. Get in and out quickly, IEDS to slow the police down and they said they acted in a way as if they had received training.

suspects are down...

Twitter video captures audio of shootout between cops and suspects in SUV. Very close to what was heard over police scanner.

Has some similarities to the Boston bomber search - going through the neighbourhood, shootouts, etc.

They were throwing pipe bombs out the window of the SUV when they were being chased.

Speculation on CNN they were planning a second attack.

Reddit: There is SPECULATION by the ABC7 chopper pilot that one of the dead suspects may be a female. This is unconfirmed, but he says he saw the suspect wearing a red bra.

• Advertisement

I can't imagine much will happen until they track this guy down. In the meantime

Fox live feed
    Police scanner.
    https://www.reddit.com/live/w0nn1o5hu90y
    Some links with graphic images of the aftermath with the SUV are popping up there. You can't see them in Live thread itself, just in case you want to avoid them

ABC7 helicopter speculating that one of the dead suspects is female - claims he saw a red sports bra.

Advertisement