Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in California

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

"A senior federal official who is monitoring the case said investigators believe one of the shooters left the party after getting into an argument and returned with one or two armed companions."
    Quote from LA Times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

RobertKK wrote: »
    "A senior federal official who is monitoring the case said investigators believe one of the shooters left the party after getting into an argument and returned with one or two armed companions."
    Quote from LA Times

It seems like this was a bit better organized and planned than just a result of an altercation at a party.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Quote from LA Times

It feels like there was some level of planning with this, so it seems like he went to the party knowing this would happen.

The device reported earlier is now code 4 (no further assistance required)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Thanks for your updates boneyarsebogman, much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

I read something on Reddit where someone was saying that what appeared to be an Hispanic person, a Middle-Eastern person and a Neo-Nazi were all reported to be involved. Sounds like a beginning of a joke!

• Advertisement

Police are executing a high-risk search warrant in Redlands, CA that is tied to the incident today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Very odd that there was three of them if it wasn't a terrorist attack.
    They would surely have known they'd be caught and killed.

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Thanks for your updates boneyarsebogman, much appreciated :)

Ah I'm not doing much, bar recycling what I hear elsewhere, but you're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

BBC news seems to be about a minute ahead of Sky on the live report from the hospital spokesperson.

Still waiting on the police briefing. Completely dark there now.

Seemingly one of the hospitals treating victims of the shooting received a bomb threat.

Seriously. You'd want to be an awful disgusting c*nt to want to do that.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Very odd that there was three of them if it wasn't a terrorist attack.
    They would surely have known they'd be caught and killed.

I find the workplace dispute thing very hard to believe. How likely is it that someone had a fight at work and within hours managed to get 2 (or 3?) accomplices willing to murder people with them, probably sacrificing their own lives in the process, as well as guns, pipe bombs and tactical gear. I'd say not very. This was clearly pre planned. Maybe it was an employee but I don't think a grudge against a colleague was the motivation.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I find the workplace dispute thing very hard to believe. How likely is it that someone had a fight at work and within hours managed to get 2 (or 3?) accomplices willing to murder people with them, probably sacrificing their own lives in the process, as well as guns, pipe bombs and tactical gear. I'd say not very. This was clearly pre planned. Maybe it was an employee but I don't think a grudge against a colleague was the motivation.
    This is not America.

We don't know yet who was at the centre except it was "county personnel" at a holiday party, renting the venue from the disability services centre. Seems an unlikely target for terrorism.
    Briefing starting now imminent - looking for sunglasses???

A revenge plot is a possibility, I guess. It does seem highly organized, whatever the motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

wil wrote: »
    This is not America.

Briefing starting now imminent - looking for sunglasses???

No she said that they found a pair of sunglasses and was wondering who owned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

"We're not sure if it was a terrorist act but we'll go down that road if the evidence points to it."

"BUT COULD IT BE A TERRORIST ATTACK?!"

****ing outstanding journalism there lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

That's nearly word for word what an Fbi guy said on the news he was like might be! Might not be just say u don't know ffs

Seems an unlikely target for terrorism.

Any roomful of people will do.

So it could be terrorism or it could be related to a dispute?

People carrying out what appears to be a highly organized shooting while wearing body armour, using assault weapons, and potentially having bombs seems to point quite clearly to terrorism of some kind, rather than some folks lashing out after getting into a row.

For a briefing by informed officers they seem to not know quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

They obviously know some things but investigations take some time. You can't throw tidbits to the media, they'll eat it up and present it as the true case. I mean for **** sake CNN are speculating over what could have happened rather than wait for the truth, if they released any info atm that would be reported as what definitely happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Hispanic male, shaved head, orange shirt, camo pants. Police are trying to apprehend on East Briar Dr.

Guess what. Not ISIS.

Not the dreaded White Man either. Too many people rushing to speculate either way.

However I think both ISIS and lone-white gunmen were fair game for speculation given recent events.

I could I have answered more than your one in the previous press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

PressRun wrote: »
    People carrying out what appears to be a highly organized shooting while wearing body armour, using assault weapons, and potentially having bombs seems to point quite clearly to terrorism of some kind, rather than some folks lashing out after getting into a row.

Or it could "point quite clearly" to a drug gang. For which southern California is well know.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

beks101 wrote: »
    That's the crazy thing, it's not though. In terms of threats in their various videos and online propaganda, the US is right at the top of its hit list.
    I think that's actually Israel and Iran.

Tragic incident this, but it really is so common over there that I can't help but find myself becoming increasingly desensitised and just not even surprised when something like this happens. I barely even raised an eyebrow when I read it earlier on.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Or it could "point quite clearly" to a drug gang. For which southern California is well know.

Why would they shoot up a social services meeting?

One of the dead suspects was a woman. I'm not sure if that is typical of drug gangs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

So it could be terrorism or it could be related to a dispute?

Were the targets disabled people? It was a clinic for the disabled after all.

Possibly some weirdo Darwinian kill the "weak" motive:confused: -- that'd be new territory.

What business would a drug gang have in a center for mentally disabled people?

Tbh, it sounded like the cops have a fair idea of what's up, they're just not willing to go into specifics with the media yet.

They were saying that they didn't know if the person who left the meeting/party after the dispute was involved in the shooting or not. If they weren't, that person should probably make that known to the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

What business would a drug gang have in a center for mentally disabled people?

They attacked some kind of meeting of political people in a conference centre attached to the school.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    One of the dead suspects was a woman. I'm not sure if that is typical of drug gangs?

Who knows? Husband/wife I guess isn't impossible (I seem to recall an attempt at such in Las Vegas earlier in the year), but successful spree shootings for the sake of it by more than one person hasn't happened since Colombine, what, 17 years ago?
    Overheal wrote: »
    Well they shouldn't be regular patrol vehicles either. They need to be specific to SWAT. And besides it wasn't a BearCat in Fergusson people took gumption with, it was a somewhat larger MRAP, seen in a lot of youtube just cruising around the streets like a beat car.

Difference is that although the Bearcat is purpose built, it also costs police departments over $200,000, and the MRAP does almost the same job for a $2,000 transfer fee and the cost of the lights and blue paint. Many police departments don't have a quarter million lying around spare to spend on a little-used vehicle.
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    Amazing kit to be just available. How often would they need a shield like that?

The local turn of phrase is "It's better to have and not need, than need and not have"

Advertisement