Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in California

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

A row at a christmas party, so you go home, get the guns and murder people. Maniacs.

But remember, guns are grand. :rolleyes:
    So it was a terrorist attack like I said. Seemed obvious then and even more so now.
    ISIS attack.

Nothing confirmed yet, and no group has claimed responsibilty, so keep it in your pants for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Sad but true unfortunately, this seems to be a regular occurrence in the US.

It doesn't seem to be a regular occurrence it IS a regular occurrence

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Restricting guns won't stop terrorists. How about we wait until the full facts before getting on the anti gun soap box

Restricting guns WILL stop mass slayings and do you want to know why? Because the proof is right there in plain sight. After Australia implemented harsh gun restrictions, guess what? mass slaughter fell away to near zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭.45auto

Restricting guns WILL stop mass slayings and do you want to know why? Because the proof is right there in plain sight. After Australia implemented harsh gun restrictions, guess what? mass slaughter fell away to near zero.

Ye and you know what took its place. Violent home invasion robberies. Same thing in england. Jesus you are brainwashed. Look at the IRA, faced the might of the british war machine yet managed to sneak in tonnes of AK's and the likes. Hate to tell ya pal gun control doesnt work. Where there is a will there is a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

.45auto wrote: »
    Ye and you know what took its place. Violent home invasion robberies. Same thing in england. Jesus you are brainwashed. Look at the IRA, faced the might of the british war machine yet managed to sneak in tonnes of AK's and the likes. Hate to tell ya pal gun control doesnt work. Where there is a will there is a way.

Gun owners will resort to organizing themselves into terrorist organizations and bombing innocent people?

Suppose it makes a change from shooting up schools.

• Advertisement

No violent home invasion robberies in the USA at all so? Seeing as people are happy to just carry out random killing sprees instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭.45auto

No violent home invasion robberies in the USA at all so? Seeing as people are happy to just carry out random killing sprees instead?

Theres violent home invasions all the time. My point is that they skyrocketed after the gun bans. Sure they were muslims that did it. Your all too pc to say the obvious. #notallmuslims

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

But remember, guns are grand. :rolleyes:

Nothing confirmed yet, and no group has claimed responsibilty, so keep it in your pants for a while.
    Same people, not much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

My point is that they skyrocketed after the gun bans. I]citation needed[/I
    FTFY

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So they had bombs ready, which suggests a terrorist event had been planned, whether this was it, or if the argument that started the series of events made them change it and use that centre for terrorism instead.
    One of them had travelled to Saudi Arabia.
    Heavily armed.

We don't know if they were part of a group, or were simply copycat terrorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Erm, nobody is saying take away all their guns.

But when you have **** like the NRA who are even opposed to mental checks before you buy a gun then you have a massive problem.
    Because it's apparently insane to not hand out guns to people who have signs of depression, who are schizophrenic, who have anger issues,...

I tend to post this in a lot of gun debate topics, since it's just so spot on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UFyNy-rw4

Theres violent home invasions all the time. My point is that they skyrocketed after the gun bans. Sure they were muslims that did it. Your all too pc to say the obvious. #notallmuslims

Well you specifically said the robberies replaced the shootings. Don't know how that works, but that's not really my problem. The "obvious" in this case is not really obvious though. Had they been shouting Allahu akbar or made some other statement as was the case in Paris, then they would clearly be islamic terrorists. So far this case has not been so clear cut.
    Same people, not much difference.

Middle eastern name = ISIS?

Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

How do you plan on removing the approximately 300,000,000 guns from US citizens?

I'm being serious here but that can't be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Nah.

I agree. It is possible for someone from the middle east / Islamic faith to be a different flavour of crazy from the usual religious fanaticism.

It goes back to the old thing of, a white guy shoots a bunch of people and he's mentally unstable but when someone vaguely middle-eastern does it then it's terrorism.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Erm, nobody is saying take away all their guns.

But when you have **** like the NRA who are even opposed to mental checks before you buy a gun then you have a massive problem.
    Because it's apparently insane to not hand out guns to people who have signs of depression, who are schizophrenic, who have anger issues,...

The reason the NRA don't give an inch is because as soon as they give an inch, the authorities will come back looking for "another inch".

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

Well you specifically said the robberies replaced the shootings. Don't know how that works, but that's not really my problem. The "obvious" in this case is not really obvious though. Had they been shouting Allahu akbar or made some other statement as was the case in Paris, then they would clearly be islamic terrorists. So far this case has not been so clear cut.

Nah.
    They sound like Islamic terrorists to me.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    How do you plan on removing the approximately 300,000,000 guns from US citizens?

I'm being serious here but that can't be done.

You're right, and regulating the guns that are already out there wouldn't work at all. There's too many guns and they can illegally change hands very easily.

I do think there's a lot to be said for mental health / psychiatric checks being involved when purchasing a new gun though.

I don't think that would help in this case though, this doesn't seem like the usual lone nutter with dad / mom's gun and a grudge. I'd be surprised if the guns used in this incident were legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I think America is stupid for gun control even being an issue, but at the same time if I had a gun there's no way I'd give it up. They're far too cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Your comparing apples and oranges. A organized terrorist group is a world away from the lone wolf mass shootings we see in the US.

The number of gun deaths don't match up between the US and UK at all, even when adjusted for population:

8,124 Murders by Firearm in US in 2014 vs. 29 (Equiv. 144) in UK

The numbers clearly show that for the most part that gun control does work.

The reason the NRA don't give an inch is because as soon as they give an inch, the authorities will come back looking for "another inch".

Not even close.

It's because they're extremists who think that what they want trumps the lives of innocent children being shot up on school.

• Advertisement

JustShon wrote: »
    You're right, and regulating the guns that are already out there wouldn't work at all. There's too many guns and they can illegally change hands very easily.

I do think there's a lot to be said for mental health / psychiatric checks being involved when purchasing a new gun though.

I don't think that would help in this case though, this doesn't seem like the usual lone nutter with dad / mom's gun and a grudge. I'd be surprised if the guns used in this incident were legal.

I read that on Black Friday, 190,000 guns were sold on that day alone. That's a lot of psychiatric testing to be done.

The old 2nd Amendment is a problem too. I can just picture it: "Hey man, just because I suffered from depression in the past doesn't mean I have to give up my Constitutional rights, now gimme that gun."

wes wrote: »

The numbers clearly show that for the most part that gun control does work.

It's also a lot to do with how readily the Yanks seem to be inclined to resort to violence.

If I insulted a Brit, they'd probably either insult me back or get in a huff.

If I insulted a Yank, they'd probably resort to violence in the first instant.

That's just personal observation from having lived in both places.

There's nearly as many guns per head of population in Switzerland but the Swiss are far less likely to reach for a gun during a dispute.

I read that on Black Friday, 190,000 guns were sold on that day alone. That's a lot of psychiatric testing to be done.

The old 2nd Amendment is a problem too. I can just picture it: "Hey man, just because I suffered from depression in the past doesn't mean I have to give up my Constitutional rights, now gimme that gun."

Yeah, the particulars of it will be difficult. If there was a clean-cut solution to the problem it would've been solved by now.

As for the volume of psychiatric texting, I wouldn't propose on-the-spot tests. I'd propose requiring the tests to be done on application for a gun license and maybe that gun licenses need to be renewed at certain time intervals to ensure gun owners are sound of mind.

Anyway, this is straying off-topic into a general gun control conversation. Thanks for keeping it civil :)

I genuinely think the way the UK does it is the best way.

You apply with your local police station for a gun license and yuc an only get a normal firearm (hunting rifle for example) or a shotgun, so none of that full assault rifle **** in the US, they do a thorough background check to see if you have a criminal record, you provide 2 witnesses (or 1, depending on the weapon you want) that know you for a certain amount of time (so not someone you just met the night before in the pub), police come to your house to check if the case where you will lock the gun is up to scratch and I believe you need a separate certificate too to actually buy ammo for said guns.

Whosthis wrote: »
    There was a suspects name mentioned on the scanner earlier, it didn't sound like the name of a WASP.

To be honest, why would Islamic fundamentalists wear body armour?
    Doesn't really make sense. They do want to kill but they generally hope to be martyred during the killing. A kevlar vest is anathema to that.

Jinonatron wrote: »
    I would just like to point out this to those who will inevitably bash America's gun policy and call for gun control.

France was a gun free zone 3 weeks ago during the attacks. Food for thought.

And have 600 people been killed by guns in France in the 3 weeks since, like they have in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm listening to a republican politician on tv right now trying to talk about how they cant have background checks in the USA and that "gun control" means mental health testing.

He actually said "we're focusing on the "instrumentality" of the event too much".

These people are basically in the pay of the "national rifle association" and its bizarre to hear them speak publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'm listening to a republican politician on tv right now trying to talk about how they cant have background checks in the USA and that "gun control" means mental health testing.

He actually said "we're focusing too much on the "instrumentality" of the event too much".

These people are basically in the pay of the "national rifle association" and its bizarre to hear them speak publicly.

Well he's right in a certian respect. Of course guns are part of the problem, but only half of the problem. The rest of the problem is the answer to the question, why do so many people feel a compulsion to pick one up and commit mass murder?

Half soloutions are no solution at all, in the same way that removing public toilets and phone boxes from our streets don't fix the antisocial behaviour associated with drug abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

There's nearly as many guns per head of population in Switzerland but the Swiss are far less likely to reach for a gun during a dispute.

It could potentially be cultural the reason why we see these kind of spree killings in the US, but I do think the high availability of gun doesn't help the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

conorhal wrote: »
    Well he's right in a certian respect.

He was arguing against background checks. Not even a ban or anything. Just a background check.

Advertisement