Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in California

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I don't care what anybody says that POS is a muslim and he hates America.

Guess that makes me a nutjob

It might, it might not. Hard to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

You've been waiting for a year for your name to be perfect.

lol, its TeaBag, not TeaParty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

conorhal wrote: »
    You're just intent on putting words in my mouth aren'tcha?

Nope I'm calling out bigoted populism

One rule for us, another rule for "them"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Nodin wrote: »
    Right then. What has them marked out as "Islamists" in that picture?

http://www.enkivillage.com/s/upload/images/2014/12/7cf607a8cf7cc084f20b2a8557786009.jpg

what marks these lads out as Amish, given that they are not on their way to a Halloween party, not is it an etching of 16th century peasants.

http://www.enkivillage.com/s/upload/images/2014/12/7cf607a8cf7cc084f20b2a8557786009.jpg

what marks these lads out as Amish, given that they are not on their way to a Halloween party, not is it an etching of 16th century peasants.

The gear.

Now -

"Islamism (Urdu: اسلام پرستی‎; Arabic: إسلاموية‎), also known as Political Islam, utilizes certain Muslim "doctrines, beliefs and values as the foundation of a political structure that supporters of that ideology have called 'the Islamic State'."./COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc]1[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc Islamists can have varying interpretations on various Quranic suras and ayahs. Islamist views emphasize the implementation of Sharia (Islamic law); of pan-Islamic political unity; and of the selective removal of non-Muslim, particularly Western military, economic, political, social, or cultural influences in the Muslim world that they believe to be incompatible with Islam./COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc]2[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamism

We'll try again. What in your picture marks those two out as "Islamist"?

• Advertisement

The gear.

Now -

"Islamism (Urdu: اسلام پرستی‎; Arabic: إسلاموية‎), also known as Political Islam, utilizes certain Muslim "doctrines, beliefs and values as the foundation of a political structure that supporters of that ideology have called 'the Islamic State'."./COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc]1[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc Islamists can have varying interpretations on various Quranic suras and ayahs. Islamist views emphasize the implementation of Sharia (Islamic law); of pan-Islamic political unity; and of the selective removal of non-Muslim, particularly Western military, economic, political, social, or cultural influences in the Muslim world that they believe to be incompatible with Islam./COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc]2[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0066cc"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamism

We'll try again. What in your picture marks those two out as "Islamist"?
    The same way I can tell an Amish from a regular anglo saxon.....

They fact they live in a civilised first world democracy and dress like 7th century desert peasants would indicate to anyone that they subscribe to Islamism. Ive worked with muslims, they are like you or I, they dont burqa their wives, they dont pray five times a day, they are just normal people. Islamists on the other hand.....You can pick them out, obviously not all Islamists would go for the garb, but its a pretty good sign.

The same way I can tell an Amish from a regular anglo saxon.....

They fact they live in a civilised first world democracy and dress like 7th century desert peasants would indicate to anyone that they subscribe to Islamism. Ive worked with muslims, they are like you or I, they dont burqa their wives, they dont pray five times a day, they are just normal people. Islamists on the other hand.....You can pick them out, obviously not all Islamists would go for the garb, but its a pretty good sign.

So you just looked at the gear and stereotyped them as being Islamist. Grand. Don't worry about the number of times those criteria would have you 'pick out' the wrong people.

So you just looked at the gear and stereotyped them as being Islamist. Grand. Don't worry about the number of times those criteria would have you 'pick out' the wrong people.

What do you mean wrong people? Everyone in the garb is an regressive islamist, the only debate is whether they will commit violence or not, which obv, only a small percentage of them will. Still doesnt make them any less unwelcome in the first world, we want increased secularism, not importing more religious loons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I don't care what anybody says that POS is a muslim and he hates America.

Guess that makes me a nutjob

Guess who just got themselves on a No Fly list. :D

What do you mean wrong people? Everyone in the garb is an regressive islamist, the only debate is whether they will commit violence or not, which obv, only a small percentage of them will. Still doesnt make them any less unwelcome in the first world, we want increased secularism, not importing more religious loons.

Sectarian nonsense. No, not "everyone in the garb is an regressive islamist". I find it amusing that you previously referred to the seventh century in a disparaging manner, yet here you are promoting the kind of thing that belongs in it.

• Advertisement

Sectarian nonsense. No, not "everyone in the garb is an regressive islamist". I find it amusing that you previously referred to the seventh century in a disparaging manner, yet here you are promoting the kind of thing that belongs in it.

Yes they are Islamists otherwise they would be indistinguishable from the society they live in. They dress and act according to Islamic Law, therefore they are Islamists, Its not a hard concept to grasp. The same way if you dress and act like an Amish, shock, horror, you are one.

What Im promoting, self preservation, rationality, secularism and enlightenment values are not 7th century ideas...unlike Islam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

conorhal wrote: »
    The don't have any Islamic ghettos though, and a tiny number in proportion to their population, france has a 10% Muslim population and no end of trouble that would never be tollerated in Japan.
    Actually it is 8% and not 10, slightly lower than greater Toronto which mysteriously isn't suffering from the same issues.

Yes they are Islamists otherwise they would be indistinguishable from the society they live in. They dress and act according to Islamic Law, therefore they are Islamists, Its not a hard concept to grasp. The same way if you dress and act like an Amish, shock, horror, you
    are one..

The garb is not nesseciarily indicative of an "Islamist", therefore it's a non sequitur.
    What Im promoting, self preservation, rationality, secularism and enlightenment values are not 7th century ideas...unlike Islam.

.....by stereotyping based on an irrational unenlightened notion which fails to stand up to any scrutiny.

"Islam" - Weren't you supposed to be worried about "Islamists" and not the whole religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

If someone invented a religion today and its leader and founder went about beheading non believers and destroying monuments and idols of a different belief system and slept with children, you would see uproar about it.

Funny what time can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If someone invented a religion today and its leader and founder went about beheading non believers and destroying monuments and idols of a different belief system and slept with children, you would see uproar about it.

Funny what time can do.

There needs to be more uproar about ISIS, like some sort of coalition of countries from the US, to UK, France, Iran, Iraq, Russia.. bombing them?

or should the average Irish Muslim be outside in this weather telling passerby's that ISIS are bad and down with that sort of thing..

How does this work?

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    There needs to be more uproar about ISIS, like some sort of coalition of countries from the US, to UK, France, Iran, Iraq, Russia.. bombing them?

or should the average Irish Muslim be outside in this weather telling passerby's that ISIS are bad and down with that sort of thing..

How does this work?
    Of course you can argue about Islamic terrorists and so on. It's just no one thinks you should discuss the thing that gives them the inspiration to strap a suicide vest to themselves.

The garb is not nesseciarily indicative of an "Islamist", therefore it's a non sequitur.

.....by stereotyping based on an irrational unenlightened notion which fails to stand up to any scrutiny.

"Islam" - Weren't you supposed to be worried about "Islamists" and not the whole religion?

In the west it is...
    I see a sikh walking down the street I can logically assume he is a Sikh due to his garb, same with an amish, a Hare Krishna etc etc. So when I see a woman wrapped head to toe in bin liner and her skull capped dress wearing bearded husband marching alongside, one can rightly assume said person is an islamist, otherwise they would be dressed like a normal person.

They are dressed that way because they are hardliners, Islamists, and lo and behold they were.

Of course you can argue about Islamic terrorists and so on. It's just no one thinks you should discuss the thing that gives them the inspiration to strap a suicide vest to themselves.

So, following on from that logic, we should blame Protestantism for the UDA, UVF and Ian Paisley etc?

In the west it is...
    I see a sikh walking down the street I can logically assume he is a Sikh due to his garb, same with an amish, a Hare Krishna etc etc. So when I see a woman wrapped head to toe in bin liner and her skull capped dress wearing bearded husband marching alongside, one can rightly assume said person is an islamist, otherwise they would be dressed like a normal person.

They are dressed that way because they are hardliners, Islamists, and lo and behold they were.

You are conflating muslim garb with Islamism. It - along with your choice of words above - is an horrific example of stereotyping, xenophobia and sectarianism.

You are conflating muslim garb with Islamism. It - along with your choice of words above - is an horrific example of stereotyping, xenophobia and sectarianism.

They would wear normal clothes if they weren't Islamists, its implicit.
    It is recognised as Islamic garb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_clothing

Dont lump muslims in with these headers.

LOL at "horrific example of stereotyping, xenophobia and sectarianism." Its 2015, the year of our Donald, dont you know PC is kill?

• Advertisement

They would wear normal clothes if they weren't Islamists, its implicit.
    It is recognised as Islamic garb

Islamic and Islamist are two separate things. This was pointed out to you earlier.

So, following on from that logic, we should blame Protestantism for the UDA, UVF and Ian Paisley etc?
    I can't deny that Protestantism has a fierce element to it which can lead to such groups and inspiration such as For God and Ulster. Let's not ignore it.

Religion is a very powerful tool and very seducing. Ian Paisley got all his inspiration from his Protestant faith.

I can't deny that Protestantism has a fierce element to it which can lead to such groups and inspiration such as For God and Ulster. Let's not ignore it.

Religion is a very powerful tool and very seducing. Ian Paisley got all his inspiration from his Protestant faith.

But do we consider all those who practice Protestantism as Ian Paisley? And, lets face it, when somebody says "Episcopalian" there isn't a rush to find cover and hide the women and children.

But do we consider all those who practice Protestantism as Ian Paisley? And, lets face it, when somebody says "Episcopalian" there isn't a rush to find cover and hide the women and children.
    Most Protestants would be Conservative or have Conservative views on social situations in NI.

What Donald Trump said was just for publicity, don't even think he believes what he said. It is just for effect to get himself headlines which has worked. He was in South Carolina, a very proud people who hold deeply held Conservative and religion.

He just wants to win these primaries, he doesn't care how he does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

This is pretty good: Molyneux's take on Trump's proposal re: Islamic immigration.

ooooh:

San Bernardino shooters planned bigger attack, investigators believe

Farook and Malik were in the final planning stages of an assault on a location or building that housed a lot more people than the Inland Regional Center, possibly a nearby school or college, according to federal sources familiar with the widening investigation.

http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-sb-shooting-20151211-story.html

Amazingfun wrote: »
    This is pretty good: Molyneux's take on Trump's proposal re: Islamic immigration.

And whats your take on it?

And whats your take on it?

I already said this is good, but I suppose I can say it's excellent really, and I hope everyone, including you, will watch it :)

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I already said this is good, but I suppose I can say it's excellent really, and I hope everyone, including you, will watch it :)

You can't summarise it?

You can't give your own more detailed take on Trumps "immigration policy"?

• Advertisement

You can't summarise it?

You can't watch it yourself? Yes, I think you have it in you, take it in small chunks maybe....

Advertisement