Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2015 Graduates: Chapter Next!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Well the legs are still a little stiff from Limerick but just threw my hat in for London!!!

The much sought after Sub4 i failed for in Dublin 2015 came on Sunday in Limerick!! Oh and it felt sweeet!!

There was only one plan for the race 3:59.59 with the pacers. No back up and no dreams of firing off into the distance! Stuck with the Pacers nearly the whole way, well a few hundred meters ahead with Gillo(Just so happened to be chatting about boards).

Decided to stretch the legs coming back into the city for the last loop out towards Thomand and that went well for about 2 miles and banked an extra minute but it left me out on my own and the few drags in the remaining miles put the hurt on me. Pace was slowly dropping but luckily the 25 mile sign beckoned and i put it back on for last 1.2 miles.

The finish was great as i seemed to be on my own rounding the last corner so had the whole street to myself and what seemed like a sprint finish in my head was really a brisk jog for the last few meters!!

So official time was 3.58.12!

My Garmin must have had a issue on course as it was always about .3 mile behind the official markers. So being weird i insisted in making up the .3m after picking up the medal. Ran off up the road leaving the GF looking at me bemused!!

Anyway great event with really friendly marshals/ staff. and an enjoyable course, especially the loop through UL! Definitely back for another one there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Just applied. Its London or Rotterdam for me in 2017. TFGR - do you deliver to the mainland? That might swing it for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

denis b wrote: »
    Just applied. Its London or Rotterdam for me in 2017. TFGR - do you deliver to the mainland? That might swing it for me :D
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:*

*apparently we are limited to 15 images per message, otherwise I'd have put more in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

denis b wrote: »

I'll start training a carrier pigeon.

In the meantime...checked with my coach and asked if London Marathon was too soon to target...turns out it's not really. So I put my ring in the hat and that's that. I don't expect to get in to be honest, and I won't be gutted if I don't. Just...want to see what happens. If I DO get in, someone else will have to bring the flapjacks. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well the legs are still a little stiff from Limerick but just threw my hat in for London!!!

The much sought after Sub4 i failed for in Dublin 2015 came on Sunday in Limerick!! Oh and it felt sweeet!!

There was only one plan for the race 3:59.59 with the pacers. No back up and no dreams of firing off into the distance! Stuck with the Pacers nearly the whole way, well a few hundred meters ahead with Gillo(Just so happened to be chatting about boards).

Decided to stretch the legs coming back into the city for the last loop out towards Thomand and that went well for about 2 miles and banked an extra minute but it left me out on my own and the few drags in the remaining miles put the hurt on me. Pace was slowly dropping but luckily the 25 mile sign beckoned and i put it back on for last 1.2 miles.

The finish was great as i seemed to be on my own rounding the last corner so had the whole street to myself and what seemed like a sprint finish in my head was really a brisk jog for the last few meters!!

My Garmin must have had a issue on course as it was always about .3 mile behind the official markers. So being weird i insisted in making up the .3m after picking up the medal. Ran off up the road leaving the GF looking at me bemused!!

Anyway great event with really friendly marshals/ staff. and an enjoyable course, especially the loop through UL! Definitely back for another one there!

Super stuff Neil delighted for you well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Congrats on PB Neil, tough course well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Put myself in London hat as well, fingers crossed maybe a few of us may get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Brilliant stuff Neil, delighted for you and it looks a really well managed race by you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

All this talk of London has got me thinking.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

jake1970 wrote: »
    All this talk of London has got me thinking.........

Road trip road trip road trip !!!

• Advertisement

Neil..... super well done. You snuck in under the radar with this race and it paid off handsomely. The perseverance paid off quite nicely. Delighted for you.

It would be great to see some of the DCM 2015 group get through. The only thing I ever won in a draw in my whole life was a pencil case as a kid......so maybe this is where everything is put right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You won a pencil case!? Compared to me, that's the lotto! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

Nop, was that you I saw today cheering at WFL? Somewhere in the middle of all the hills and heat :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Hey Feena - Yes, I was at the 10k mark @ Shanganagh park, just after Shankill! I knew you were running and was looking out for you, but must have missed you!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭FeenaM

nop98 wrote: »
    Hey Feena - Yes, I was at the 10k mark @ Shanganagh park, just after Shankill! I knew you were running and was looking out for you, but must have missed you!

Well, hope all is going well with you :D

So, who is signing up for DCM16??? :eek:

FeenaM wrote: »
    Well, hope all is going well with you :D

Currently planning to do it so in base building mode at the moment, debating following the boards plan again this year but starting from a base of maybe 30 miles a week and then let the plan come to me.
    I feel last year I simply wasn't resilient enough for the increases so trying to cut them this year to some extent by having a better base....over a longer period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I'm all signed up! Gonna do 3/4 of the race series (missing the 5M due to holliers) and the Docklands 5k too.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi Guys,
    I am pleased to announce that I am back running again! I did a bit of 'Dark Siding' on Monday evening and completed the Howth Aquathon (500M Sea Swim and 3K run), great event with Fresh Cod and Chips from Beshoffs as recovery food.....hhmmmm.

I am entered on a team in the 'Staff Relay' (5 x 5K) race tomorrow night in the Phoenix Park, and I am really looking forward to it as there are quite a few lads that are completing their first ever 5K as part of an in-house running program in the job. Anyone else in the PP tomorrow night at this event?

On a personal note, I went to my physio last week and got crunched and now feel really good again with no real niggles and plan to start building up the mileage in the next month and target a HM (Rock n Roll HM maybe). Great to be back running!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

smashiner wrote: »
    I am entered on a team in the 'Staff Relay' (5 x 5K) race tomorrow night in the Phoenix Park, and I am really looking forward to it as there are quite a few lads that are completing their first ever 5K as part of an in-house running program in the job. Anyone else in the PP tomorrow night at this event?

Yep, I'll be at that too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

I am not :D but I hope to be around afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

More than likely.
    But looking back at this time last year I was doing a fair bit more running than I am now, so I need to get my ass in gear.

Hi Guys,
    I did the Staff relay in the PP last Thursday and I have to say it was a great evenings entertainment! We had 3 teams (15 people) and a lot of lads that were completing their first ever 5K race, and they were delighted to come over the finish line.
    Well organised event and the MC was very funny too, totally recommend it to others, having said that it was a tricky little course with a few hills in it such as Magazine hill and the then hill up to the Hospital, so credit to all for getting around it. Didn't get to see Singer at the event, but there were quite a few tents in the 'Olympic Athletes Village' :D.

I am thinking strongly of entering the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon on the 7th of August, anyone else signing up? It is a bit pricy at €45, but I believe that it is part of the National Series (might be on d' Telly too) and I haven't done it yet, so I am probably going to give it a blast as I personally need a target to get focussed.

Any takers?

I am thinking strongly of entering the Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon on the 7th of August, anyone else signing up? It is a bit pricy at €45, but I believe that it is part of the National Series (might be on d' Telly too) and I haven't done it yet, so I am probably going to give it a blast as I personally need a target to get focussed.

Any takers?

I am doing that Smash, are you a member of an Athletics Club? If you can aware of nice discount for the race. I think with fees it worked out at 27 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Any takers?

Yup, I'm probably going to be doing that too. It'll be my only half marathon race this year, as I'm pretty much in DCM mode now, so I'll be using it as a tune up race, where I'm hoping to get sub 2.

Any takers?
    I signed up for this before xmas - I only paid €30 then. :P
    I also did it last year and really enjoyed it. They have live music at every mile so that keeps things moving along and there's a good mix of running around Dublin streets and in the PP.

Two things to watch out for:
    * It's a very early start iirc, too early to use public transport to get the start line.
    * Whatever way they did the printing on the t-shirt, it rips the nipples off me (ymmv)

Phoebas wrote: »
    * Whatever way they did the printing on the t-shirt, it rips the nipples off me (ymmv)

Hypnafix tape on the nips, the tip came on the novices thread last year and I don't really ever run without it.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I signed up for this before xmas - I only paid €30 then. :P
    I also did it last year and really enjoyed it. They have live music at every mile so that keeps things moving along and there's a good mix of running around Dublin streets and in the PP.

Two things to watch out for:
    * It's a very early start iirc, too early to use public transport to get the start line.

Thanks guys,
    No I am 'Billy no mates' and am not part of an Athletic Club, just the Gym, so it looks like it will the full €45 for me....d'oh!

What time does it start at, does the first Luas not get there on time....if they are not on strike that is .... :eek:. I can probably park at Connolly Train Station car park if the Luas is not an option.

The tee shirt sounds like it is made by the Devil.....

Thanks guys,
    No I am 'Billy no mates' and am not part of an Athletic Club, just the Gym, so it looks like it will the full €45 for me....d'oh!

What time does it start at, does the first Luas not get there on time....if they are not on strike that is .... :eek:. I can probably park at Connolly Train Station car park if the Luas is not an option.

It starts at 8:30 AM. I think it's from the Point Depot. I was looking to get a bus in last year and I didn't reckon on reduced Sunday services.

I think the LUAS starts at 7am (from Tallaght) so the first one of the day might get you there on time, BUT that section of the LUAS is closed at the moment for cross city works or something, but it may be back online by August.

The tee shirt sounds like it is made by the Devil.....
    Yeah - I think I'll be getting some of that tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Phoebas wrote:
    I think the LUAS starts at 7am (from Tallaght) so the first one of the day might get you there on time, BUT that section of the LUAS is closed at the moment for cross city works or something, but it may be back online by August.

I did this last year and went to catch the shuttle that was advertised only to see the Luas was running. I got to the start with an hour to spare. That was last year though so with strikes and works may be a different story.

Advertisement